Mah Tucket 30 SS crew. Beat TT McCabe/Lone Swordsman

kOOn

[Edited for next round - see later post]

I'm going to play in a beginners league starting out at 26 SS with fixed master.

I've tried Seamus, but summoners is a bit OTT in 26SS games I think.

So I'd like to try out Mah Tucket but I'm really unsure on what to take with her.

Taking Gracie with the saddle could get Mah in the face real quick, but I'm not sure if that is the best way.

I want a fixed list to test out and play in the first 2 months of games to practice.

Help and suggestions will be really appreciated.

That's a really, really small fixed list. First of all, I don't think that Mah needs any help to get in the face real quick - she is really mobile.

I would take someone to do Schemes. Either a (duo of) Bayou Gremlin(s) or Merris.

Then someone to wreck face with Mah. Francois (add Stilts) or Burt (add Dirty Cheater) are good choices. Rooster Rider is also possible here.

For support, Slop Hauler, Trixie, and Old Cranky are all great choices.

And finally, for general usefulness, Lightning Bugs are pretty ace. Lil Lass is also worth a consideration if you didn't take Old Cranky.

So those would be the building blocks I'd utilize.

Something like this, perhaps:

Mah Tucket -- 6 pool
 +Know The Terrain - 1ss
 +Dirty Cheater - 1ss

Bayou Gremlin - 3ss

Francois LaCroix - 7ss
 +Stilts - 1ss

Lightning Bug - 5ss

Rooster Rider - 6ss

How about:

Mah Tucket -- 4 pool
 +Know The Terrain - 1ss
 +Dirty Cheater - 1ss

Little Lass

+ Lead lined apron - 0ss

Francois LaCroix - 7ss
 +Stilts - 1ss

Merris Lacroix - 6ss

Rooster Rider - 6ss

Same number of activations, Merris is nice for protection and scheme running.

Armour on Mah when the Lass dies.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up taking this, not what I wanted.

Mah Tucket -- 5 pool
 +Know The Terrain - 1ss
 +Dirty Cheater - 1ss

Little Lass

+ Lead lined apron - 0ss

Francois LaCroix - 7ss
 +Stilts - 1ss

Merris Lacroix - 6ss

+ dirty cheater

Piglet 4ss

I've had a few practice games and tonight I beat a fairly friendly Sonnia list where the schemes really favoured me.

But a win in the league is a win!

I really need another model or some more ranged attacks, but I'm committed to the list for one more game.

Tomorrow I'm facing Jacon Lynch with Hungering darkness.

I've had one match against him with this crew and another with a testcrew.

I have absolutely no idea how to handle him or the hungering darkness.

I have no casting damage, except for Merris that can finish hungering off with burning.

The obey can make Francois kill off anyone in my crew if he's too near, nearly the same with his gun.

Input will be greatly appreciated.

14 minutes ago, Flinroz said:

As someone who started out with lynch:

Just burn Huggy to death. Merris should be able to take him out turn one or two, and in most cases that would be a good trade. 

He'd just respawn Huggy. If you're gonna try fighting, you'll have to snipe out Lynch and quickly. In a small game like this he will make Huggy as expendable and obnoxiously in your face as possible to force you to deal with him (and possibly his horde of Illuminated), but if all the resources you put into killing Huggy are nullified the second Lynch activates it's all hardly worth the effort. As long as Lynch lives Huggy is nigh immortal and you're subject to Lynch's constant ranged threats over the heads of his crew.

The other option only works if you know you'll be able to stay out of Lynch's range. And that's just to avoid him while focussing on schemes, killing anything killy that comes near but making sure Lynch will never be able to get within 6" with 2 AP left of you. With such a small pool he's not gonna have Yu with him to slingshot him across the board, and if he brings things like Graves he might still be able to make a short sprint here and there, but ultimately he's stuck with his 4 walk. 

1 hour ago, Tokapondora said:

He'd just respawn Huggy. If you're gonna try fighting, you'll have to snipe out Lynch and quickly. In a small game like this he will make Huggy as expendable and obnoxiously in your face as possible to force you to deal with him (and possibly his horde of Illuminated), but if all the resources you put into killing Huggy are nullified the second Lynch activates it's all hardly worth the effort. As long as Lynch lives Huggy is nigh immortal and you're subject to Lynch's constant ranged threats over the heads of his crew.

The other option only works if you know you'll be able to stay out of Lynch's range. And that's just to avoid him while focussing on schemes, killing anything killy that comes near but making sure Lynch will never be able to get within 6" with 2 AP left of you. With such a small pool he's not gonna have Yu with him to slingshot him across the board, and if he brings things like Graves he might still be able to make a short sprint here and there, but ultimately he's stuck with his 4 walk. 

Ah, I always use the other limited upgrade so Huggy doesn't respawn. I guest it depends on what the opponent brings.

Huggy can only respawn when something with brilliance dies, so use that to your advantage.

29 minutes ago, Flinroz said:

Ah, I always use the other limited upgrade so Huggy doesn't respawn. I guest it depends on what the opponent brings.

Huggy can only respawn when something with brilliance dies, so use that to your advantage.

That's the problem with Lynch. He tags something with Play for Blood, then he obliterates it. 

i think the moral is

"there isn't just one way to play, so take all the advice with a pinch of salt..."

Incorporial isn't normally a great defense, unless you do a huge single source of damage. If you just hit with 2 and 3 points of damage, its functioning exactly like armor +1. So just hit with anything. 

Killing Huggy can be a good approach, unless they have the upgarde to bring him back, in which case you might not want to kill Huggy. 

Lynch is a funny master in smaller games, because he likes cards in hand, and there will be fewer chances to cheat in smaller games, he'll have less pressure on his hand. But Conversely, he is much less likely to get the aces into his hand, because he is flipping fewer cards. So his uses change as the game size changes. 

Francois has a high Wp, so there is normally a good chance that he won't be targteted by the "obey", but hold a high card ready for it, if you think its goign to be a huge threat. 

I've annihilated Lynch with Francios in one attack before.  He can't stone to prevent enough.  Turn 1 was getting him into range.  Turn 2 either reckless walk and charge, or (better yet) reckless + Focus + Walk + Attack.  Severe damage from Dumb Luck kills Lynch unless he gets insanely lucky and prevents with the Red Joker.

Every time I face Lynch I hunt him down before HG.  If the opportunity comes to attack HG, I would, but priority should be Lynch if you can get to him.  Mah can probably hold down HG on her own while Francios gets to Lynch.

10 minutes ago, Four_N_Six said:

I've annihilated Lynch with Francios in one attack before.  He can't stone to prevent enough.  Turn 1 was getting him into range.  Turn 2 either reckless walk and charge, or (better yet) reckless + Focus + Walk + Attack.  Severe damage from Dumb Luck kills Lynch unless he gets insanely lucky and prevents with the Red Joker.

Lynch has 10 Wd and Francois' sword does 10 damage on Dumb Luck Severe so preventing with anything other than the Black Joker leaves him barely clinging to life - am I missing something here? Note that I do agree with the general gist of your advice - Franc does make mince meat out of Lynch in melee but usually you'll need more than one Severe Dumb Luck hit to do it.

I could have sworn Lynch had less wounds than that.  It's been a long time since I've played him, but I distinctly remember 1-shotting him, so I guess I must have Red Jokered the damage.  Which is probably why focus was a better idea than charging, having RJ in hand makes that an easy decision.

• 1 month later...

Well I won my first two games in the league and a few practice game.

Next round is against Ten Thunders McCabe and probably the Lone swordsman, Luna and DONG's.

I have no idea how to take down the Lone swordsman though, he'll rip through any of my models in HtH and shooting him doesn't do anything.

I was going to paint Trixie but with this match and only 30 SS, I'm lost on ideas!

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Lone Swordsman is not quite an autoinclude for me, but I play him more often than not. I do not play McCabe however, but Shenlong can offer similar push/extra-AP shenanigans so hopefully you get something out of this. I also don't do 30ss games so I no doubt miss some finer points.

If the guy is playing hyper aggressively he will push and give nimble to the lone swordsman. That's I think 9'' of movement before spending any of Swordsman's actual AP. Could be more if I'm forgetting some McCabe tricks. Try not to leave precious models within charge threat and LOS. Remember that he can charge 7'', 2'' reach, with either (0) for a 2'' push or (0) for his special reactivate. That's potentially something dead in 20'' from his original position. That's a fact you need to live with.

If all I can do with him is charge-kill Lenny or Trixie or etc. and get killed back, that's fine. Even trade is the bare minimum I'll go for, though more favourable trades are preferred. I assume McGabe will be even more happy with this as he can just toss a sabre to his pups to kill things. One way to frustrate me would be to only offer cheap crap like bayou gremlins or pigs to waste my AP with. If I'm going to kill something better that it's a 3 stone bayou, right? Even better if you have a counter charge set and waiting. He's a glass cannon. While he will pulverise most things in melee, that goes both ways. All he has is 7 wounds, df/wp 6 and hard-to-kill. With right cards in hand and a bit of luck you can bop him for a severe of 6 for first hit with killing blow coming in with your second AP. As a result I'm very careful with my swordsman since any beater worth his salt can paste him in one activation. At this point it becomes a game of manoeuvring and out activating. Bad thing is McGabe is good with that, but I understand so is Mah?

So in summary? Don't let anything important get charged by Swordsman. Charge Swordsman with something hard hitting and/or expendable. Odds are you will lose models, so pick the ones that are most expendable.

Does your opponent have the new upgrade pack? Be mindful of Death Contract if so. It's a face down upgrade with a no-effect double. If you kill the model bearing it you need to discard two cards or two stones or model that did the kill dies. Make sure you have necessary resources available before sending your big hitter to kill him.