12 Names for 13 Tyrants (and other major Characters)

Rathnard

Theres info on the red cage in Under Quarantine, it was the magical prison that held Cherufe just out of reach of the world he wants to burn, Hamelin dropped it to try and harness its power to ascend. After it dropped the crater it formed is now called the red cage. I'll double check when i get home and see if there's more info. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think there are two separate Dragons. With the Nameless that makes 13, and with two dragons it's 14. Its possible The Dragon has something going on or split apart, but theres not much to indicate another Dragon. It could very well be a typo considering the others in that book. Or, I mean, Cherufe looks a lot like a Dragon in Sonnia's avatar model. 

• Like 2

Googling tells me Meridion is also a type of algae, and we've got some unexplained speckled creeper fish monsters falling out of a breach into London (is there anything more on this in Into the Bayou? Or about the Ocean that presumably rests on the other side of the Bayou?). Ley lines are probably more likely, but hey, doesn't hurt to throw out random ideas.

Edit: Also, Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the developments in the story, does this mean The Guild and The Gremlins are the only factions not harboring Tyrants or pawns of Tyrants?

*enters with a guardian helping carry a stack of crockery. orders crockery to be piled in a neat stack within arm's reach. picks up the piece off the top and threatens to lob it at anyone who doesn't use a tweet-length spacer sentence in the first part of their post to avoid spoilers in the recent discussions list on the main page of the forums.*

Now, on to affairs of the Guild.

13 hours ago, Rathnard said:

Cherufe: Formerly trapped within Sonnia Criid. Was ripped out of her and somehow merged (?) against its will with the now former Governor General, becoming "something larger and more powerful than either". Its current location (if it's even still alive) isn't clear, but there's a good chance it's not happy about it.

The Tyrants we're not sure on:

Witness: No other info right now. Given the presumed links to Law & Order or Truth, it's likely related to Lady Justice or Perdita. The former for obvious reasons and the latter because of the "truth-related" abilities she acquired during the Event. The Rippling Fates Vignettes for both Masters give no further clues on this matter. 

Meridion: Based on the name, it may have something to do with ley lines and astrological power, or (if you take the chinese medicine route) related to life force and healing. Again, we've no info at all on this one. Even the name gives us very few Malifaux-relevant clues as to where he/she/it fits in. The one tenuous link I do have is related to the Red Cage (see below), but for the moment that's all I've got.

Finally, we have the other powerful characters who may or may not be Tyrants:

The Red Cage: Okay, so I'd always assumed it was an inanimate (albeit magical) object that held Cherufe until it crashed to the ground and triggered The Event...yet it's still somehow playing a role in the story. Right now it's the source of the abominations that have been plaguing the LaCroix and Latigo Families. And as of her vignette, Perdita's recently set off to find the source of the abominations and "end the threat of the Red Cage once and for all". Furthermore, the "Into the Bayou" book includes rules for Abominations, and one of their attacks includes a Trigger that actually alters the destiny of Fated characters. The new Fate Steps refer to things like descending into the Cage, being drawn in or trapped, returning the eternal flame to its prison, being pulled by Destiny, or learning the truth that will never be known. As you'd expect for Destiny Steps it's all pretty non-specific, but it's VERY interesting that the Abominations can influence a character's fate like this. 

So what IS the Red Cage? It could still be an especially powerful bit of magic, but if we assume that it's related to another Tyrant (aside from Cherufe), my best guess is that this could be an aspect of Meridion. Its astrological origin fits in with the dictionary definition of Meridion, as would the abominations if you equate undeath to a twisted form of life/healing.

Well, it's a good thing the Guild doesn't keep any abominations around, isn't it?...

*strained little smile that twitches at one corner*

I'm annoyed. I was close. I thought that the cross-pollination of the Governor-General, the effigies [known only to Zoraida], and Hoffman's avatar [known only to Lucius] in the ritual was what had re-routed more power than was healthy, a wellspring from Meridion not from Cherufe out of left field. (The ritual tugged on Lady Justice and her repairs from Ramos, on McMourning's flesh constructs and the clue's right there in the name, on Collodi I oughtn't have to explain that one, on Hamelin a[nother] Tyrant...and Lilith, flowers to anyone who explains why she was alerted.) Ah well, if the one is dedicated and entwined with the other as the guess is here, it would be simply yet another divide-by error in the folly of Meridion.

Why did I assume Meridion was queen of constructs? I only know of leylines in Malifaux via Vanessa. Vanessa's a sister and a controller of constructs. The Gorgon lays her finger on the creation of unnatural life through the undead; it was fitting that there would be another creator of unnatural life who touched constructs.

This is great feedback guys! I've editted the original post accordingly, specifically with regards to Meridion, The Nameless and the Dragons, including a clue to a possible Second Dragon that's mentioned in Into the Bayou. 

I'm still reading Into the Bayou (and still need to read some of the other TTB books) so there's likely more to come. :)

Since the initial post had spoilers re: Cherufe, SPOILERS I guess.

I'm actually keen on more fluff about the Burning Man and whether or not the old GG did become a Tyrant though his ascension was botched due to Cherufe and now they're one super-tyrant. The book states that they were like two matches flaring up next to each other at the same time and their flames became something more. Unsure if it's just Cherufe manifesting through the GG or they've become one.

Going to have to support the theory of two dragons being the one Tyrant ala Pisces being two fish yet one constellation/astrological symbol. Yin and Yang is the most obvious part of this, then there's also the introspection Shenlong does within his own vignette. 12 names for 13 is because the thirteenth is Nameless or at least, only has the title of being 'The Nameless'.

9 hours ago, Rathnard said:

This is great feedback guys! I've editted the original post accordingly, specifically with regards to Meridion, The Nameless and the Dragons, including a clue to a possible Second Dragon that's mentioned in Into the Bayou. 

I'm still reading Into the Bayou (and still need to read some of the other TTB books) so there's likely more to come. :)

You're doing a great job of selling Into the Bayou, by the way.

As for the other TTB books, I have all of them save Night at Rottenburg, Into the Bayou, and Bayou Games. I don't recall anything off hand that could be tyrant related, but in Under Quarantine there is a sidebar story that indicates a massive temple to some sort of gigantic "water god" somewhere underneath Malifaux. We've also got a bit of lore on those fish monsters from The Other Side in "The Ferryman"- distant relations of silurids that live in Malifaux's oceans and occasionally (rarely) get lost and travel upstream into the bayou or riverways. Theres some sort of probably tyrant-level entity thats going to be more relevant to The Other Side, I think. 

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head thats relevant to possible tyrants or other possibly big movers and shakers. I remember being a bit surprised at the lack of The Gorgon being mentioned in Under Quarantine.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

One thing I don't see brought up yet is Amanjaku's status.  There's no characteristic on the model, but everything that happens in the story is certainly following the modus operandi of a tyrant to get things done.  So if A-kun isn't a tyrant (yet?), A-kun and Hungering Darkness must have the same legal defense.  :)

Here's some spoiler text because that's apparently what all the cool kids are doing these days and we're talking about spoiler stuff from rippling fates so it's probably best not to ruin things for everyone who hasn't yet read the book, which they really should do as soon as possible. ;)

@solkan it's unlikely. From the Asami story, Amanjaku is portrayed as cunning, ambitious, and ranked above the "regular" Oni, yet physically weak (certainly weaker than Ama No Zaku) and subordinate to the mysterious Lingxuzi character who keeps popping up. If he does turn out to be a Tyrant, I'd be very, surprised. 

@Cinnamon Bear you make a good point about the Gibbering Hordes for The Other Side. As far as we know they're *probably* from Malifaux (the flyer from Gencon this year didn't specifically say it, but it's strongly implied). In any case, it'll be interesting to see how they tie in with this Water God under Malifaux and the oceanic creatures related to the Silurid. And more specifically, do any of the Tyrants have a stake in them, or do they represent another threat altogether?

I don't know if you noted it, but the Governor General merged with Cherufe to create The Burning Man who is now reigning down fire on London. In Sonnia's bit it says that the being is larger and more powerful then a Tyrant and its earth-side.

Also the Wong story has ties to Lingxuzi whose servents live inside the three demon bag and want to summon their master.

@Khyodee Correct on both counts, although I haven't yet clarified it in the OP. :) I believe the key information on the Governer/Cheruffe is in Sonnia's, Zoraida's, Jack Daw's and to a lesser extent, Dreamers Vignettes. 

@Kaptain_Konrad It's the Court of Two. Between Molly and Kirai's vignettes, they're a necromantic cabal who've approached Kirai about summoning a literal army of ghosts. In exchange, they're offering a ritual that would return a spirit to life. Their representative (a woman in a dark cloak) met Kirai outside of the Qi and Gong, but I don't think that implies a link with the Ten Thunders. There may be a connection with the Black Dragon, but that's based entirely on the fact that the only information we have on both, is that they deal with spirits in some fashion. 

Beyond that, the motives or possible links between the Court of Two and existing characters/organisations aren't clear. 

I'm going to update the OP accordingly. Probably also change the title of the thread if I can, since this has now gone beyond just talking about the Tyrants. :)

I'm still set in my theory that...

Between the Pandora vignette, the Hungering Darkness vignette, the Asami vignette and the Crossroads stories, Tyrant seems to be a matter of scale or eventually taking the power projection/host thing past some limit.

After all, Hungering Darkness is running around claiming that it's not a bad whatever-it-is because it's a pacifist and doesn't want to take over the world; but it's still decided that the safest thing for it to do is start expanding its sphere of influence in Malifaux and corrupt/consume more people.  :huh: 

Everything that we have reasonable confirmation for being tyrants gives us the steps:

* Choose host

* Gain more and more influence over the host

* Collect more power

* ? ? ? ?

* Try to ascend/take over the world

After all, it is still just Hungering Darkness's word that there's an important distinction to be made, and we've got the equally important evidence that people like Titania aren't going to be satisfied with that distinction.  Sort of like if Tyrant was the Prestige Class/Advanced Pursuit for whatever Amanjaku and Hungering Darkness are/the stuff Lingxuzi showed Amanjaku.

I have a theory, it's probably wrong, and probably not spoilers since its just what my interpretation of the story has been (granted that I haven't got my hands on the latest two books).

For me, it feels like as part of Malifaux being Faerie, Tyrant is the ascension from an individual to an archetype or idea. It may just be because I'm also a fan of postmodern Fallen London, but I feel theres a certain amount of fairy tale or story-logic thats made real in Malifaux. Frozen Heart characters literally have their hearts frozen into ice. Metaphors become real. Hungering Darkness isn't a Tyrant because he isn't trying to be the embodiment of debt. The Governor General didn't want control, he wanted to be control. December isn't a Tyrant of Winter or Hunger or Deprivation so much as he is those things personified and imbued with ambition and ill intent.

I'm probably wrong, but I like my theory.

• Like 5

just playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't (if we take perdita at her word in saying "dragons" plural) be the Victorias? I say this for two reasons, 1 their abilities all have the word "dragon" in them. 2 in their lore it says that they are rarely apart which would feed into the Yin/Yang theory? 

Yes the sword does have that one demon in it. But do we know for a fact that all the "tyrants" are inherently bad? Perdita let Sonnia live sand she is possessed? Maybe the Sisters are the Dragons and are keeping the evil demon in the sword in check?

Just my thoughts. 

Perdita let Sonnia live because Sonia is her friend. She went out of her way to help her overcome her possession. I also don't think that most humans (including Perdita) fully understand the Tyrants, what they are, and what they are capable of.

Shenlong is merged with one of the Dragons. This is 100% confirmed and Shenlong even has the "Tyrant" keyword to back it up, something the sisters lack. Their dragon moves and named as such simply for flavor. It might be possible that one of the Viks is the 2nd Dragon, only because we have no solid info on it and it could literally be anyone or anything at this point. I think its far more likely that this "Black Dragon" from Into the Bayou is the 2nd Dragon though.

We also know that Shez'uul is one of the Tyrants and is sealed with the Masamune.

2 hours ago, KuVenet said:

just playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't (if we take perdita at her word in saying "dragons" plural) be the Victorias? I say this for two reasons, 1 their abilities all have the word "dragon" in them. 2 in their lore it says that they are rarely apart which would feed into the Yin/Yang theory? 

Yes the sword does have that one demon in it. But do we know for a fact that all the "tyrants" are inherently bad? Perdita let Sonnia live sand she is possessed? Maybe the Sisters are the Dragons and are keeping the evil demon in the sword in check?

Just my thoughts. 

The problem with that is we already know one of the Dragons is tied to Shenlong.