Nellie: Table time first impressions

Hagisman

Hi everyone

Tried Nelli yesterday, first impression - not frightening at all, opponent just ignore her. I took Hanna, and I think Hanna + a dept + Fiona + a dept + а delegation is a great combo. Hanna with the fast and using Fiona's "Look out" can do 4 attacks with +1 damage and the blasts it's interesting))) 

I think about Performer, especially with Hanna, in such way Hanna can use performer's seduction for (0).

Performers and Hannah are great with Nellie. You get quite a bit more utility out of the performer with her, I think. 

Hannah, of course, gets you +2 Arcsne Reservoir, can can also copy Phiona's shape stone or the judge's combat effectiveness.

think I got Phiona to attack like 6-7 times in a turn when I played. With :+fate to ATTK and DMG

I liked this list, the first turn or two I had two fast Executioners, which is pretty scary (threat of like 19" with (1) Charge from Ready to Work). 

Enjoyed your write up but one aspect here hit me.  Had to go back and read the Executioner's upgrade to be sure.  It says "When this model declares a charge action, it may discard this upgrade to take the (2) Charge Action as a (1) Action".  This suggests to me that you have to be able to declare a normal charge to trigger the upgrade, so you have to have 2 AP, declare a charge, and then discard the upgrade to make it a 1 AP charge.  So the threat range of a fast Executioner would be 14" but be able to make 3 attacks after completing the charge *as the charge would be 1 AP leaving you one more afterwards*.  I had assumed that was the limiting factor of the upgrade, to prevent it from merely being a complete bullet.

Played her in a 40 point game in a tournament today (it was oddly structured). Won against Parker Barrows 9-3.

I had Nellie, 2 oderlies, Phiona with debt and her upgrade, Hannah and a performer. I didn't take Nellie's guild funds upgrade, I took the other three (I am so bad at remembering upgrade names)

It was squatters rights and I had fast on the orderlies to get them turning squat markers turn 1. Phiona was charging an overextended Parker on turn 1 too.

Managed to run Parker out of stones and kill him. Nellie got the finishing blow on him too with a Propaganda. He was killed by slanderous libel >.<

It never feels like Nellie is doing much of anything during her turns, but she's just so good. She's got a trick for almost anything. She's pretty frustrating.

I also think I'm in love with Phiona. She's pretty amazing for 10 points. (I don't see a reason NOT to take her upgrade and debt, personally). Had a lawyer and a performer throwing out WP duels and she wrecked face. She's such an unexpected threat because her damage track is high, but she seems so unassuming because she doesn't have criit strike  or anything like that but when it's hitting you 3+ times a turn with :+fate to attack and dmg and a potential 7DF. Not to mention throwing up cover if she's not in range. She has much less use when she's not with Nellie, but I still think she's viable outside of Nellie (which I'm excited for)

Played my first game with Nellie... WOW!

I knew she would be good at schemes but with Phiona and Franc she has an absolutely monsterous damage output.

I was also surprised that all of her attacks were useful, I thought I would be mostly using propaganda but scathing review is awesome. Especially when you stone twice to make sure it goes off then get your stones back at the end of the turn, and two stones the next turn again if they try and get rid off it. Guild funds is downright dirty it's so good - free stones or heal without spending AP is gross. Your evidence is never wasted.

As others have said, Phiona is a pure beast. And even synergises with the reporters who can proc her extra attack.

Nellie is beautiful.

I thought I would be mostly using propaganda but scathing review is awesome. Especially when you stone twice to make sure it goes off then get your stones back at the end of the turn, and two stones the next turn again if they try and get rid off it. Guild funds is downright dirty it's so good - free stones or heal without spending AP is gross. Your evidence is never wasted

Could you elaborate this a bit more? Please. 

The using stones with scathing review and all that

Could you elaborate this a bit more? Please. 

The using stones with scathing review and all that

I suspect that he is using the stones to get positives to his attack as with a Ca7 it has a pretty strong chance of hitting *Make them cheat first and thanks to the 7 likely can cheat higher*.  With the Trigger to gain Evidence, the one from the totem, and one at the beginning of her turn she can get her 4+ she needs to get 2ss at the end of the turn with Guild funds.  Could likely just not use the SS and plan to drop high cards but I suspect he wanted to try and preserve his hand as much as possible.

• Like 2

Yep. You can get 2 stones back at the end of the turn then with Guild Funds so you get a very reliable double scathing review that you can reach people with on turn one. It gives you 2 evidence turn one, 2 damage and either more evidence turn 2 or more ongoing damage.

So at the end of turn one you have very likely given two models humiliation and gotten the stones you spent to get it off back, with more evidence or damage ready for turn 2 - meaning you can relatively safely burn more stones.

On initial read of Nellie I thought propaganda was way better than scathing review. But with Guild Funds I would say that neither is better, they are just used differently. Or you can hit someone with both to give them humiliation and slow. Nasty.

But if you use scathing review to start an evidence engine turn one it makes Guild Funds ridiculously good. Getting free stones every turn, or at least a heal if you use evidence to push people away or other things, is amazing. Especially if you run a hench heavy list as I do with Phiona and Franc 

Turn 2 even if you only scathing review one person you are getting evidence +5 or more if they elect to end humiliation. If they don't you're still gravy - as you've done minimum 8 damage with your 2AP first turn and they have to end it some time unless they want to let their model die.

Getting someone cheap to drop a scheme marker beside Nellie turn one so she can push out makes this possible. You deploy 6" in, discard the scheme and push another 6, walk 5" meaning on turn one you can be 17" up the board with 2AP and a 10" range to scathing review people. And with Df8 and Wp8 to keep Nellie safe if they win initiative next turn as I've brought Franc. Hit two minions with scathing review and stone to get positive flips and you're off to the races. You get your stones back and turn 2 your opponent is in a bad position.

Well, I think its a bad way to go.

First off, if you lose initiative T2 you are overextended with Nellie.

Secondly, you might not get it off, the enemy might not place a scheme marker or may place it more than 8" from Nellie. (Scathing Reviews has a 10" range).

While harvesting SS is nice I think a ping with Slow is usually better. It also depends on the amount of healing/armour the enemy has.

Had 2 games with Nellie. Didn`t discard a card for Evidence once. T1 is push + 3x fast + passing 3-4 activations. T2 is Incite and Fast/Propaganda. Got 1 Evidence from Guild Funds and I think I got a heal once.

• Like 1

Secondly, you might not get it off, the enemy might not place a scheme marker or may place it more than 8" from Nellie. (Scathing Reviews has a 10" range).

While harvesting SS is nice I think a ping with Slow is usually better. It also depends on the amount of healing/armour the enemy has.

Had 2 games with Nellie. Didn`t discard a card for Evidence once. T1 is push + 3x fast + passing 3-4 activations. T2 is Incite and Fast/Propaganda. Got 1 Evidence from Guild Funds and I think I got a heal once.

I guess we will have to disagree. You aren't relying on your opponent to drop schemes near Nellie to get evidence since you get it automatically.

With my strat you do 4 damage, get 2 evidence, and 2 free stones with either more evidence and sapping 2 of your opponents AP or more damage with next turn with one activation.

With yours you move AP from Nellie to your crew.

Given the choice between getting 2 soul stones, doing 4 damage and costing the opponent 2AP or moving AP from Nellie onto other models (no net gain) I know which I would pick. Obviously it's situational, but I'm gaining much more net worth from my activation than you are.

And like I said - I take frank so Nellie is Df8 Wp8 at the start of turn 2. If you lose initiative it's no big deal. She's only 11" in from her deployment zone so anyone that walks twice is beside her. If anyone is foolish enough to charge her you activate Phiona next and go to town.

What if they have condition removal, armour, healing? I believe there`s a lot of models than can have this condition for quite long and just ignore it. I`m not saying this is a bad strat. I`m merely saying there`s a lot of "what happens if".

You still get more than moving AP onto other models. Delegation is only worth it if you need the heal or scheme marker since you're moving master AP onto a non master model. Yes it is certainly good and useful in many situations but turn one isn't the best use IMO - both triggers are wasted. All you're doing is moving master AP onto non master models for what is likely a walk action at that point.

Obviously all this stuff is situational, but in most situations taking 2 AP from the enemy, doing 4 damage and getting 2 soul stones is more beneficial than moving your master AP onto non master models turn one. That is without taking into account the possibility of more damage or evidence turn 2 onwards depending on how they decide to deal with humiliation.

If I had some scheme that necessitated fast movement to win, absolutely I would be delegating turn 1. But my strat is such a tasty first turn, especially when the opponent has likely done nothing to you yet.

Well, the way I played it is activate Nellie late turn 1 and give fast to activated models which greatly increases their charge range turn 2.

I`m in no way saying what you do is bad and I think thats a great design idea that you have your way of using Guild Funds, I have mine and they both seem to work ;)

Well, the way I played it is activate Nellie late turn 1 and give fast to activated models which greatly increases their charge range turn 2.

I`m in no way saying what you do is bad and I think thats a great design idea that you have your way of using Guild Funds, I have mine and they both seem to work ;)

I too like to activate Nellie late on turn 1 and spam fast. That often makes the difference between doing 0 and 2 Ml attacks with your Henchmen on turn 2 and that's a lot of damage. I could consider using Scathing Review on an enemy model as well if there were a juicy target for it nearby, but like trikk said, there often aren't that many good targets for it.

After 8 games with Nellie I am tending to do the same than you. 

Having the extra threat (fast)  range makes a huge difference and the best use of her AP first turn. 

I have used scathing review just a couple of times (needing to kill a non activated model that is 2 or less wounds). 

I use hot off the press often. 

I generate little evidence and use it mostly for run from the truth and extra propaganda triggers. 

Loving Nellie so far ?

So at the end of turn one you have very likely given two models humiliation and gotten the stones you spent to get it off back, with more evidence or damage ready for turn 2 - meaning you can relatively safely burn more stones.

Just to be clear, you're removing all of your evidence at the end of each turn, correct?

• Like 1

Played 6 or 7 games with her including 2 tournament ones. Lost the first one.

Had 3 upgrades besides Embedded and the Printing Press and 4 SS.

Had a varied selection of beaters (Phiona, Peacekeeper, Judge, Ryle, Francisco) and all of them performed great.

Didn`t use Scathing Reviews and Hot off the Presses even once. Never went above 2 Evidence. Lost Nellie once (got Alpha`d next to a Razorspine Rattler)

Judge with Fast and A Debt to the Guild really hits hard if you`re in combat and have Unrelenting Leader and a 8+ of tomes is funny. Fast Peacekeeper with Numb to the World is so annoying.

As for her upgrades:

Misleading Headlines is nice for the incite. The activation passing is T1 and maaaaybe T2. In T3 you don`t use it at all.

Delegations is awesome if you have ton of beaters and you probably will.

Guild Funds give me mixed feelings. They are not bad but I can`t find a way to make them work in a good way. I managed to heal twice but I got 0 evidence from enemy interacts to be honest ;)

Edit:

Just bought Oiran, Anna, Hannah, Bishop, KJ and Ama No Zako. Already have Viks and Von Schill boxes, a Performer and Sue. When I paint them let`s see how Embedded works ;)