August 15th - App

Lucidicide

Honestly, I find War Room way faster than cards, especially for damage tracking. With warjacks and warbeasts, I find myself mentally double- or even triple-checking how many boxes I've marked, to make sure I haven't short-changed either myself or my opponent. With the app, I just select the column and quickly tap up to the damage amount and it does it all for me.

It might help in Wyrd's app if they automatically handle armor and HtK, making sure you don't shortchange yourself or opponent, especially for new people. Dunno how you'd account for bulletproof or the melee equivalent, but there's that at least.

I want to express my hope that possession of the app does not become a requirement to play.  I own a cell phone, but not a smart phone, and I do not see a need in my immediate future for such a device.  One of the reasons I tabletop (RPG and skirmish) is to be disconnected from the constant demands of the outside world for a few hours and focus on the people in my immediate LOS (even if we do have our heads buried in cards half the time).  I think several of the ideas for the app are good ones and if people want to use it, good for them.  But developing it to the point where the app is a requirement to play in tournaments or at all appears to be a bit excessive.

Regarding a damage tracker...trying to say this as kindly as possible, but in my opinion, reliance on a computer damage tracker to automatically account for everything seems a little bit lazy.  If you are going to play the game and the models, you should bring yourself up to speed on what they can and cannot do.  Forgetting things can sometimes be a useful tool in helping to retain the information as part of the learning experience.  There was a time or two when starting out I forgot a model possessed HTK and I just took it off the table when it was hit with Red Joker Damage.  I have just started playing Shenlong and I have had a couple of games where I forget when a model uses Focus close to Sensai Yu they are able to add the number of Focus they used to the attack total, which could have been the difference between success or failure on an attack.  Going back over my cards after said games, I will see the abilities and remember the moments where I missed them.  It reinforces in my mind their presence for the next time I play them, which leads me to become (in theory) a better player. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Solicitor 6 said:

I want to express my hope that possession of the app does not become a requirement to play.  I own a cell phone, but not a smart phone, and I do not see a need in my immediate future for such a device.  One of the reasons I tabletop (RPG and skirmish) is to be disconnected from the constant demands of the outside world for a few hours and focus on the people in my immediate LOS (even if we do have our heads buried in cards half the time).  I think several of the ideas for the app are good ones and if people want to use it, good for them.  But developing it to the point where the app is a requirement to play in tournaments or at all appears to be a bit excessive.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. We want to make sure that people can enjoy the game regardless of what sort of phone they have. :)

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Mason said:

I wouldn't worry too much about that. We want to make sure that people can enjoy the game regardless of what sort of phone they have. :)

So the app will be compatible with the Nokia 2210*? Displayed in all it's monochrome glory?

Great, people, break the news Mason confirmed that the app will be working on every phone! Regardless of their phone!

* Probably will be sent as attachment via a text!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

So the app will be compatible with the Nokia 2210*? Displayed in all it's monochrome glory?

Great, people, break the news Mason confirmed that the app will be working on every phone! Regardless of their phone!

Probably will be sent as attachment via a text!

You'll still be able to use good old fashioned cards. :P

• Like 3

I am also in the not planning on owning a smart phone boat.  A devotee of artful gaming, I love the potential of interactive story telling that I have experienced in many mediums of games, a legacy that's seen in some of our oldest games like cat's cradle.  I have recently been shying away from most games, especially modern ones, in electronic mediums, however, in favor of very specific story-driven games that require physical media, i.e. MtG and Malifaux.  Call it focused fetishism of the commodity.  I especially like the simplicity and elegance of Malifaux cards, and I don't have any trouble quickly building a crew or remembering the bulk of other crews I face.  I have found myself wishing I had the cards for all factions in an accessible form, especially as arsenal decks are out of print and I only have Guild, TT, and NB, and there are no arsenal decks for waves 3 and 4.  I'm not getting a smart phone just for Malifaux, though it is my favorite game.

• Like 3

On 16/08/2016 at 3:02 AM, LunarSol said:

Lets be honest. We're all just happy to have the cards available on the toilet. 

How do you know what I do on the toilet???  Madly searches for hidden cameras...

Ok, found them, I'm back!  This sounds wonderful!  I'd love to have an app with all the cards and upgrades on them.  Can it also please be compatible with a PC?  Pretty please!

• Like 2

apps like warroom dont replace cards unless people wish to use them.

damage tracking is not a bad thing either as it doesnt get accidentally rubbed off (or knocked in case of dice), especially if done like warroom 2 where you put in the damage then confirm and its all done.

something along those lines would be great, with all cards for your faction and able to use for a game if you wish to (as long as it works on my kindle fire, can get a good 5-6 games in for warmachine on that between charges)

I lile to see my whole crew laid out before me, either in Malifaux or other mini games, so this won't replace cards for me.

That said, it will be an amazing way to play a crew I don't actually own with proxy models, to see if I like them.

Today I photo copied cards from my rulebook so my friend could more easily try Seamus

• Like 1

Explanations or even showing the page for certain keywords could displayed as a pop-up, when tapping on that keyword :D

Plain text is always better, because it loads really fast.

The Warroom app (for Warmachine and Hordes), in the previous version had the rules in plain text and it loaded them fast as hell (which, in my opinion, is what you want when you're playing, don't waste time for a image or pdf loading), now they switched to load a PDF from the rulebook with the rule you're looking for, and it takes centuries to load, display and navigate. Maybe plain text is more ugly, but it's more usable by far.

Plain text is always better, because it loads really fast.

The Warroom app (for Warmachine and Hordes), in the previous version had the rules in plain text and it loaded them fast as hell (which, in my opinion, is what you want when you're playing, don't waste time for a image or pdf loading), now they switched to load a PDF from the rulebook with the rule you're looking for, and it takes centuries to load, display and navigate. Maybe plain text is more ugly, but it's more usable by far.

I'm not talking about show the rulebook page, but rather a "see Rulebook page XX" quip ;)

• Like 1

Just as a thought. If all cards are not available on purchase, or if the cards have to be purchased as packs, I have a suggestion. It might be an idea that once an opponent is finished constructing their crew to do a Scanning code type thing, like Crew Faux does for scenarios, that would allow you to have access to the enemy crew's specific cards and upgrades (of course minus the hidden ones other than there is an unknown upgrade on the model) so that if nothing else you always haves access to the enemy cards on demand for rules reference, and then the opposing crew's cards are wiped when a new game is started so you can't just get access to libraries of cards you didn't pay for.

Just a thought.

• Like 6

Just as a thought. If all cards are not available on purchase, or if the cards have to be purchased as packs, I have a suggestion. It might be an idea that once an opponent is finished constructing their crew to do a Scanning code type thing, like Crew Faux does for scenarios, that would allow you to have access to the enemy crew's specific cards and upgrades (of course minus the hidden ones other than there is an unknown upgrade on the model) so that if nothing else you always haves access to the enemy cards on demand for rules reference, and then the opposing crew's cards are wiped when a new game is started so you can't just get access to libraries of cards you didn't pay for.

Just a thought.

That QR code scan thing is super handy so long as both players are using the same app (gotta get more people to adopt it!)--most of the time when getting ready for a game one person generates strats/schemes while the other sets up terrain. It's super handy to just hand over a QR code instead of reading them off 3 times (because no one ever hears them right the first time ;)

• Like 2