Project Planning: Obliteration Terrain Set

KrazyIvan

Alrighty, since my Quarantine Zone board is nearly complete I have started planning my next board. Thanks to popular demand on the poll I put up a few weeks back the board is going to be Obliteration and/or death themed. The basic thought is "What if two crews went through portals to pull off some scheme **in** Obliteration?"...what would that look like? Well, Obliteration being Obliteration the obvious answer is "nothing"...but nothing makes for a boring table.

My first instinct is to go mono-chromatic black, with a few highly contrasting, spots of color. Most everything will be black, highlighted up to no more than charcoal grey (i.e. very dark grey). I'm thinking that a blasted landscape/barren desert approach might work well with most of the LOS blocking features being hills of one kind or another. Those hills will have a ton of death themed elements, in this case skull shaped rock formations (perhaps with portals of some kind in any cave entrance). There will be a river, but instead of water if will be a "river of stars". I'll paint nebulae and start formations, apply resin, more paintwork, etc to give it a 3D effect. Then maybe add some "obliterated" buildings...thinking AoS terrain kits for that.

This doesn't account for some kind of dense terrain and/or severe/hazardous terrain...I'm open to suggestions/comments/your own ideas on what the Obliteration dimension would look like other than "Duh, it's Obliteration so there isn't anything there".

• Like 1

Chunks of stuff pulled in from Malifaux or elsewhere by obliteration beasties? That stuff has to go somewhere while it's buried and presumably not all of it comes back.

You could put down some half disintegrated machinery/buildings/skeletons lying at weird angles and make them the only thing on the board with a slash of colour, ala Schindler's List. 

The Dead of Winter fiction describes Tara's eternity of wandering within Obliteration's prison. It certainly isn't empty.

Tara had seen a lot of strange things in the last few decades. She had wondered the maze itself for what seemed like months. It took her a while to realize she wasn’t getting hungry or tired. It had been weeks, but she hadn’t once thought to eat or sleep. This made her heavy sack of supplies less useful, and she began using the various dried beans and hard tack to mark where she had been. That’s when she started making progress on the labyrinth itself.

Emerging from the stone was a relief at first. There was a small glade of gnarled and twisted trees. Then there was a desert, and an ocean. She had built a ship; that had taken quite a while. She had sailed the calm sea on a gentle breeze, she had climbed mountains of bone and ash. She had done all of this under a black and starless sky. 

She had wandered alone all those decades before she met the mad woman and the demon bridge. She had passed the bodies of men she didn’t recognize. They had killed each other; oriental blades and arrows through vital organs. The only conversation was years gone now, it had been with a monster that called itself Shimmer. She had lost her boat when she killed it.

She recognized the woman from another lifetime, when she had listened to her blather on with the nothing-beast and then passed into this world minutes before her. Where the bridge met the side of the chasm, there was fist clutching the stone walls. Not a fist, but a building shaped like a clutching hand. A massive arm, wide enough to drive four wagons side by side, extended across the gap. The demon hung there, holding the other side as well. There was no bottom to the chasm; it extended down as far as she could see.

“Well, fancy meeting you here.” Tara’s voice cracked, she rarely used it these days. Karina just sat in the dirt and stared at her. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...