Parker Tactics

jphealy

Hey folks

Who all has gotten Parker on the table yet?  I'm trying to get a place for us to start laying out some basic strategies with him. 

For example what upgrades gave you found are best to start out with attached to him. Do you take any generic outcasts upgrades?

I saw Parker on the table last night vs a belle heavy Tara crew. Parker got fast, shot someone, triggered the scheme, shot someone else, pushed out of melee, zero action to get dynamite, blew it up, then put down his own scheme marker.

It was hilarious

• Like 2

I haven't had him out yet and would agree he's going to take a little time to figure out. The starting upgrades I think I may start with as I begin to learn what he does are Highwayman, Hail of Bullets, and Oathkeeper. I think that Parker is probably going to be at his best when he maintains three upgrades, which means discarding only one per turn most rounds. With that in mind you're likely going to hold onto some that don't have to be discarded to be useful. Three of them don't have to be discarded at all to be useful - Human Shield, Highwayman, and Black Market. Hail of Bullets has an optional discard. So I'm going to try (at least initially) to have two upgrades I don't have to discard. 

One of those is likely always going to be Highwayman or Black Market, primarily for the additional (0) action they provide, but through Five Finger Discount and Crate of Dynamite I would guess the other function will come in pretty handy. Bulletproof isn't exciting, but it's a bonus. I'm going to start with Highwayman because I prefer No Witnesses (the attack) to Stick to the Plan (the interact), but that could change depending on schemes. 

The other from that list I'm going to start with is Hail of Bullets because I think that board control will be fantastic. I also think the trigger to Hands in the Air (built in) will be very useful. 

For the first round I'll likely start with Oathkeeper as I learn how Parker works. I'll plan to discard it turn one every time and cycle in something else for turn two. I think in the first turn that may well become a The Job's Not Done Yet (along with 2 walks and a Hail of Bullets). 

I think my favorite upgrade is Crate of Dynamite. I can see Parker doing a Hands in the Air attack with the drop a scheme marker trigger on a key opponent followed by dynamiting that newly dropped marker for two of his three actions on many turns. If you can get two or three enemy models in that blast it, combined with Hands in the Air, can be a pretty nasty drain on the enemy card pool. That combo could be a great deal of fun with Pride. 

Speaking of Crossroads 7, Greed could be a nice combo with Stick Up, both draining soulstones or doing a lot of damage pretty quickly. Gluttony and Envy could both be nice with this crew. 

It'll be fun to learn how to use these upgrades. The only one I'm not real excited about is Human Shield, although it could be pretty handy if you're standing next to the right bodyguard. 

49 minutes ago, jphealy said:

See I'm thinking coordinated heist is essential as a starting upgrade. Both because it costs two and because giving all your bandits scout the field is nice. 

I actually think it's the other way around. When you need scout the field it's an awesome one to start with, but because it costs two it can be pretty easy to pick up later in the game. If you get within range of an enemy (just inside of 7") you can shoot twice and have him drop two markers so you can pick it up just as easily as a one stone upgrade. Having said that, it's a pretty nice upgrade. Especially if you have something reasonably fast that you can throw into the fray that you don't mind shooting. Maybe a strongarm suit with his shields up? 

5 hours ago, Trample said:

It'll be fun to learn how to use these upgrades. The only one I'm not real excited about is Human Shield, although it could be pretty handy if you're standing next to the right bodyguard. 

As Trample also said, I think that the Strongarm Suit might be a nice companion for Parker in a lot of cases. If the enemy uses a lot of powerful ranged attacks then you can get an early Human Shield and pass some on to the Suit, and if it manages to charge a bunch of models you can fire away with abandon into the fray without hurting it much. The Doc can join them too and try to patch up the small, bullet-sized leaks in the poor fellow. :P 
Add the new "The Bigger They Are" to the Suit and then you can have weak damage of 4 against some enforcers or henchmen. :) 

Scout the Field for most/all of your crew is basically Nimble for everybody turn 1, That is a BARGAIN for 2 stones, and I can't think of any situation where it wouldn't be good. Especially with the way he cycles his upgrades like candy you're not even stuck with it. Honestly that upgrade wouldn't be bad even it was just the scout the field half.

1 hour ago, Uncommon_Man said:

Scout the Field for most/all of your crew is basically Nimble for everybody turn 1, That is a BARGAIN for 2 stones, and I can't think of any situation where it wouldn't be good. Especially with the way he cycles his upgrades like candy you're not even stuck with it. Honestly that upgrade wouldn't be bad even it was just the scout the field half.

Coordinated Heist only effects other Bandits within :aura8  of Parker at the start of game. So, that's basically his box crew (minus Doc who's not a Bandit), Wokou Raiders, and the Dead Outlaws.

Roadblocks I've encountered thus far against opponents:

This is mainly a list of things that have given me pause in games, or had me change gears mid-fight. All are avoidable, dealt with, or minimized through crew selection and play style, but we are Outcast somewhere in our faction there is always a tool for any job. I'm just listing them so they don't take others, especially newer players, by surprise who might start with only the core thematic bandit crew. I'll list the main roadblock and then at least list a model or two (but not a full comprehensive list) as potential counters to them. I also plan to amend this list as I learn more and as others post so that other players can learn from it.

Various Damage Resistance: Like anything, we all come across that one model who is armor +2 and realize our big hitter is suddenly limp-wristing his swings. Hammer meets Anvil. Some main ones that I've encountered with Parker's thematic crew (primarily SH attackers) are:

- High Armor - always a pain for anyone. Bring something that ignores armor like Ronin or Bishop.

- Incorporeal - an ability that halves damage from shooting and melee. You'll need to hire something with casting to beat these models down fast like Librarians

- Bullet Proof - Poor man's armor that only works against shooting, but alas Parker has that in spades. I found this especially painful when facing off against a Rasputina crew who brought SnowStorm as he has a natural Bullet Proof +3 and an aura that hands it out to nearby friendlies. You'll need to either barrel through this just as you would with something containing Armor or else bring anything else that doesn't involve SH attacks to ignore it. Most any non-shooting focused model in the faction will work.

- Any form of Conditions: The crew has no condition removal by default, so if you think you'll face a lot of conditions (Neverborn and Ressers especially come to mind) then grab Johan. I really wanted him in one of my last games as I played a Gremlin Zipp crew. They have an upgrade (Spotlight) for their Sky Pirates that can cause a model to be unable to perform SH actions (and he tried putting it on Parker who 90% of his actions, even ones targeting WP are SH actions). 

Card Starvation: Parker and his crew can really burn through cards due to various amounts of Rapid Fire, Run & Gun, normal Cheating for specific suits or just to successfully attack or defend, Discard to Push Doc around, discarding for Parker to turn enemy scheme markers into friendly ones, etc. Some of this is offset with Parker's aura to draw a card (and keep it) whenever an enemy dies within 6" to a bandit. Some is offset by Highwayman upgrade whenever Parker uses an action to remove an enemy scheme marker. I offset some more by using Sue to Hurt himself each turn for a card or by hiring Hannah for 7 cards in hand per turn. Just be aware that Parker and his crew will chew through your hand if you let them so prioritize your cards and actions per turn for those key abilities you want to discard to accomplish.

- Soul Stone Starvation: As I mentioned below to @boots468 even though Parker, on paper, will be gaining Soul Stones hand over fist, he spends them just as fast as he makes them. He does gain one per turn if he discards an upgrade, but potentially immediately spends it to gain an upgrade if no enemy scheme markers are near. He might even spend an SS to retain an upgrade instead of ditching it. He and his crew will spend them for all the normal reasons of card draw, damage prevention, etc.

Ways I've offset this (other than starting with a large cache which, up until now I really haven't needed overall versus hiring an extra model) is to use things like his Stick Up (enemy takes damage or gives you an Soul Stones, not guaranteed but helps), hiring Hodgepodge Effigy so when Parker does kill something he can discard for a Soul Stone (see above for Card Starvation on that one, especially if you have a really good hand), Hiring Ronin who can self-sacrifice mid/late game to give you more soul stones. Cross Roads 7 Greed model can also be hired to help in this regard. Also good positioning of Parker in proximity to enemy Scheme markers so that he can use those instead of spending Soul Stones to gain upgrades. This last can be harder than you think sometimes though if the opponent isn't dropping markers, and you're using Parker's AP for other actions instead of shooting (which is why I like the Hail of Bullets upgrade as it builds in a trigger to drop a marker when using Hands in the Air). Parker's Black Market upgrade can give you a Soul Stone once a turn if Parker uses an ability to discard an enemy marker if you have it attached instead of Highwayman.

Long story short, just like the potential for Card starvation and basic game play in general, you need to manage your resources when it comes to soul stones. Don't think they are endless just because of Parker's tricks. Just like saving for GenCon each year, when all is said and done you find out you spent more than you originally planned in all the excitement. :D

-- More to come.

Strategies

Turf War/Extraction/Guard the Stash - Parker and crew do well enough in this style of game. Outcast having access to multiple Hard to Kill units and upgrades, along with healers like Doc and Librarian help ensure his crew either sticks around, or uses up so a lot of the opponent's AP which sometimes makes them not worth killing. Parker's ability to Push friendlies, and to debuff opponent's outside the respective zones with Hands in the Air (discard to take tactical actions) or to lay down hazardous terrain can really interfere with an opponent's plans.

Reconnoiter/Interference - While Parker and his crew doesn't really excel at this Strat, they don't do any worse either than most of the other Outcast crews. It's doable to play this with Parker (anything is achievable though with any crew, just not always the best option). If given a choice and wanting to optimize, however, I'd likely go for Leveticus or Hamelin if this Strat came up.

Reckoning/Collect the Bounty/Head Hunter - Parker and crew does well at all of these. His 0AP ability to force a friend to take an attack along with his pushes for re-positioning and his debuffs really help to put a monkey wrench in the opponent's own abilities. Parker can also lay down steady fire power if needed between his gun and his upgrades. Keep in mind that he is a ranged crew, so for Head Hunter you will want to close the distance between you and the opponent (or wait for them) before you start dropping them, but I've really not had any trouble with that as of yet.

Squatter's Rights - Again, Parker is on par with the rest of Outcast for this one. No better, no worse. His crew can get the job done and he can help them with movement and terrain tricks while debuffing key models to keep them from taking tactical actions, or by just killing them.

Stake A Claim - This is the only one I haven't played yet with Parker. I will make the safe assumption, judging by how he performs in the other strats, that Parker will be a generalist enough master to support his crew well in this Strat, depending on what you want to do with him. This one really comes down to crew selection though and his crew will have the same issues as any other Outcast crew (minus Leve who can hiring leaping Necropunks) in that it will take planning to get the job done. Parker can help out more than most though in that he can push friendlies up to their walk from 18" away, so will be able to speed up anyone trying to Stake a Claim prior to their activating.

Schemes (GG2016 Only as they are variations on the theme of the book schemes, the newest ones available, and the ones most likely to be seen at events currently)

Marker Schemes - 

Convict Labor, Leave Your Mark, Covert Breakthrough, Detonate the Charges, Search the Ruins, Set Up

Scheme Marker objectives are what make Parker so good in the Outcast, a faction typically known for heavy damage dealing. He and his basic crew are able to lay down enemy scheme markers fairly easily, and if Parker is near, at the end of a turn he can discard to any number of cards to turn that same amount of enemy scheme markers into friendly markers within :pulse4. While this isn't always viable due to discarding, it can lock up things like Deotante the Charges, Set Up, and Search the Ruins in a given turn to score you VP while possibly denying the opponent. Add to that, at the end of the game, though less useful under GG2016 Schemes, Mad Dog and the Bandidos (man, that sounds like a bad cover band name) all have an :aura2 similar to McMourning that turns enemy markers into friendlies. This can still come in handy though, especially on last turn moving near Convict Labor or Breakthrough Markers to deny the opponent points.

Leave Your Mark can be achieved at range with Mad Dog provided the opponent doesn't have models near and are far enough back when he kills something. He's the only crew member that drops Friendly Scheme markers when he kills something, rather than enemy scheme markers on triggers like his cohorts do. This can get even nastier with his Blast ability to potentially take out two or more enemy models at once. 

Parker also has the Black Market upgrade with the 0AP ability "Stick to the Plan" which allows him to force a friendly within 6", on a 5+, to make an interact action. Coupled with his Push ability "Job's Not Done" he can move his guys around a bit before they interact, or even use their own AP, and help achieve any of the above, depending on positioning.

For Scheme denial, Parker and crew also can cause havoc to the opponent by attacking them and dropping Enemy scheme markers, denying them things like Convict Labor by placing those markers within 2" of other Enemy markers. This means you can potentially shoot one enemy scheme runner in the distance, drop a marker near their marker, then walk into proximity of a different scheme marker (or shoot a different scheme runner who is near a marker) and deny that one as well. This puts a lot of pressure on the opponent to get more markers than normal down for Convict, while also allowing Parker and Crew the freedom to stay back while denying VP.

Other denial is gained via pushes to either get out of combat, thus away from enemy markers, or to push near markers in the case of Convict or Leave Your Mark. Parker and Mad Dog both have push abilities on their attack triggers (Parker for his basic SH, Mad Dog on his ML attack). Parker needs a :mask and Mad Dog needs a :crow, neither of which are built in, so be prepared to cheat or use a soul stone if you find yourself in a bad position. Parker's push also comes in handy here as he can do it from up to 18" away. The Bandidos have two potential pushes. The first is their Df :mask trigger after resolving (so hit or miss) to get away, and their Run & Gun ability to push 5", attack, then push 3".

Interact with Opponent Schemes - 

Catch & Release, Exhaust Their Forces

Both of these are made slightly easier for Parker's crew with his ability to force 1AP interacts via Black Marker and to push friendlies near enemies then force interacts (or push so they can use their own AP). Catch & Release is easier than Exhaust due to only ever needing 1AP to achieve. Exhaust needs 1AP only after the opponent has activated, 2AP if they have not.

For denial pushes are a strength for you. Just like above, various members have various forms of pushes to get out of combat, thus freeing them up to interact and remove the Exhaust Condition. Parker can also use his Black Market to make an unengaged friendly remove Exhaust. For Catch & Release, Parker's push to move friendlies comes in nicely to get them away, freeing up their AP as they need 2AP to remove Catch & Release. Bandidos can discard for Run & Gun if they fear getting Exhaust or Caught to push out of combat (or further away from opponents in general), attack, then push again, causing the opponent to waste AP to get near them again, and needing 2AP to Exhaust as the Bandido has now activated (though only 1AP to Catch & Release).

Another way Parker can really mess with the opponent is via his Hands in the Air ability (discard two cards to interact). I've used it along with Black Market to force a friendly to Interact (Catch & Release) the opponent, then did Hands in the Air to that opponent. Then used his push to move my friendly away from the enemy. Now they are left with the option of discarding to remove the condition (thus denying me VP) or, if they also have Exhaust/Catch, to discard two cards to walk, then two more to interact (thus giving me points, but potentially gaining VP themselves). It's a Sophie's Choice.

Kill Schemes - 

Hunting Party, Neutralize the Leader, A Quick Murder, Mark for Death

Depending on crew selection for Hunting Party most of these are pretty standard fair for Outcast. They have plenty of ways to do damage, and Mark for Death isn't as bad either (interact prior to killing) as Parker can force someone via Black Market to interact if need be, or use Highwayman to force an Attack. Neutralize just depends on the Master as always.

For Quick Murder and Neutralize the Leader, Parker's Stick Up ability comes in handy to do a quick 4 damage on a target, or at the least deprive the opponent of a Soul Stone (and you gain one) once a turn, which you can then follow up by firing at them anyway, ditching your Stick Up upgrade for extra damage, then 0AP'ing and buying it right back with either the Soul Stone they gave you or an enemy scheme marker (or with your own Soul Stone in the event that they took the damage).

For Denial, I like taking Hodgepodge Effigy who has hard to kill and Doc who is in the back and heals, so those help cut down on Hunting Party deaths. My Bandidos or any other minions chosen just have to play as safe as you're willing to go with them.

Parker is pretty beefy due to wounds for Neutralize, and Doc, along with his heals and ability to hand out Hard to Wound help. Being Outcast, if you really fear for his safety, Survivalist is available (gives him Hard to Kill and 
:+fate to heals received). A Librarian can also be hired to not only help achieve potential Hunting Party as she's an enforcer, but to also add more heals if needed.

Human Shield also comes into play here as it allows Parker to pass off damage to a nearby friendly and gain soft cover if within :aura2 another model, friend or foe. So if he's engaged and the opponent decides to just shoot into combat, not only would they need to randomize (special rules on attacker notwithstanding) they would also have to worry about cover.

Positioning Schemes - 

Undercover Entourage, Inspection, Occupy Their Turf, Public Demonstration

I have yet to take Occupy Their Turf (minions in enemy deployment), though I'm sure with Parker pushing friendlies, incorporeal Void Wretches, or Bandidos Run & Gunning, or even Freikorp Trappers deploying From the Shadows it can be achievable, I just haven't bothered with it as of yet.

Inspection and Public Demonstration can both be achieved with Parker helping out with his Pushes and Bandidos Running & Gunning to close the distance with a target if needed (or so that they can move into Inspection position while potentially taking out enemy models doing the same). 

I've had success achieving Undercover Entourage with Parker. Between his Walk 5, Oathkeeper, his :mask attack push 3" trigger, and his Stick Up upgrade that allows him to take a free walk action at the start or end of his activation (at the cost of discarding the upgrade) means he is actually quite mobile. I like dropping Stick Up at the start, walk for free, then 0AP to regain it sometime during the rest of my activation.

As for countering these, that's depending on the opponent's crew, but use your ranged attacks to your advantage to kill minions before they get into position for Inspect, Occupy, and Public Demo, and make sure to utilize things like Mad Dog's push enemy away trigger, and Parker's push himself trigger if needed to keep them at arms length. Parker can also put down his Hail of Bullets hazardous terrain. It might not kill the opponent, but it will either weaken them or use up their AP as they walk around it.

If you can figure out the Entourage Target then either kill it, or if that's not possible, Parker's "Hands in the Air" again comes in handy as they will have to discard to make basic walk actions. If you can engage them and do this, then they will start losing their hand very quickly.

Misc Schemes - 

Show of Force, Take Prisoner, Frame for Murder

Show of Force is probably one of the easiest for me with Parker's crew due to Mad Dog enjoying his Lucky Poncho, using Return Fire on Sue so much, and typically having another model with Oath Keeper, Scramble, Bigger They Are or something else running around. Take Prisoner isn't too hard to achieve depending on opponent and the target you pick. Parker's friendly pushes, or his ability to gain extra walks via Stick Up discard means he or his crew can move about quickly on the last turn if needed to tie up the target. Frame for Murder, as always, is dependent on the model picked and your ability to get the opponent to kill it with a Master or Henchman for full points.

Denial is both straight forward and tricky with these. For show of Force you want to either kill or tie up the opponent's scoring models before they can get into position, or use pushes, like Mad Dog's attack trigger, to move them out of position. Remember, they don't have to beat you, they just have to Tie you to still score their own Show of Force. Take Prisoner will come down to who their target is, but Parker can use pushes to move his guys out of combat, or if it's possibly himself and he can't kill whatever's engaged with him, he can go defensive (if you feel you need the :+fate) and try to disengage, then even drop Stick Up if it's equipped for an extra walk, or he can go offensive and try for his Push 3" :mask trigger.

For Frame for Murder, either don't kill anything, or if you do, try to do so with Mad Dog's Burning +2 ML attack (or Sue's Ring of Fire also if you use him), or use Mad Dog's push attack trigger to push enemies into hazardous terrain so that they die from conditions or terrain and not your attacks. If that can't be done, then try to have minions, peons, and enforcers make the killing blow at least. Parker's No Witnesses (friendly makes an attack) 0AP can come in handy here as he can soften up targets first, then finish them off with someone else (I like Sue or Convict Gunslingers for this as they have built in :+fate to attack making it easier to hit). 

• Like 3

@asrian

Curious on your thoughts on Envy. He seems like a natural fit into a Parker crew with his ability  to easily get a scheme marker where you need it.

I poured over the upgrades and agree with your starting upgrades, athough Coordinated Heist is a very good upgrade if you are taking Mad Dog and at least another Bandito to begin with. That extra Scout the Field movement can really get your models into ideal positions. The Undead Outlaws look like they will be a very solid addition once released.

Some random Parker thoughts.

Though costly at 8ss I find Wokou Raiders pretty essential. Combat Finesse gives them annoying survivability in engagement and their built in :tome for the Drop It trigger gives you enemy markers to fuel Parker. usually use the Raider to set up Coordinated Heist.

Coordinated Heist: A good way to get a lot of attack actions from Parker. After discarding Coordinated Heist, attach Crate of Dynamite with FFD.

I'm not overly enthusuatic about Mad Dog tbh. Blown Apart is the best thing about him really. 

14 hours ago, asrian said:

The only negative I've come across is if you aren't taking Bandidos and the opponent isn't dropping scheme markers than Parker is either eating up Soul Stones like crazy to cycle upgrades,

Apologies if I'm missing something, but how are Parker's upgrade cycles a drain on soulstones?

He can only attach one upgrade per turn, which he'll only be able to do if he's discarded one that turn (assuming start with all 3 of course), which will have given him a stone from the discard? Unless you're swapping into the one 2ss upgrade, the cycle looks SS neutral to me, or even generating them if you are able to get enemy scheme markers involved.

Of course, him and Mad Dog do look to want a few stones for damage prevention, so mid game stone generation is always good!

Normally it would be Neutral, but you have to remember that Soul Stones are not only used for just buying upgrades mid-turn, but for various other reasons (card draw pre-turn, prevent damage, etc). Add to that Parker's gun get's bonus damage if you discard an upgrade to increase the damage (I typically won't, but every now and then that +1 or more damage is worth it to take out a key enemy model) which puts you at a deficit for a turn. There are also times when you have upgrades that you want to keep (Like Highwayman) so aren't discarding those to gain a Soul Stone, or, to use Highwayman again, if you use it to command a friendly to make an attack it forces you discard that upgrade or pay 1 soul stone if the friendly targeted wasn't a Bandit (I've targeted Sue quite a bit for his :+fate attack flips) in which case you're essentially paying a Soul Stone to get that attack, which eats into your supply. The same is true for Black Market to make a friendly take an interact action. Sometimes the potential to gain a VP is worth the 1SS cost if it means you can still retain the upgrade and use it next turn straight away for another VP.

Things like this mean that I am usually either spending the stones as fast as I get them, or else I am 1 to 2 soul stones behind where I want to be. Parker can gain soul stones relatively easily, but he can spend them just as easily in a multitude of ways. I think that's what helps keep him balanced and why, unless the player is just not doing anything at all with Parker & crew except hording stones, you really won't see someone playing him have 8 to 10 soul stones piled up on their side unused.

• Like 1

Really god write up Jphealy! I've been really enjoying Parker as well. Love the fluff for him and his mechanics are heaps of fun!

One thing I've been doing is dropping Hail of Bullets behind some enemy models then using Mad Dog to shotgun them, then push them back into the hails of bullets for some extra cheeky damage.

So even if you do weak with both the shotgun and the Hail of Bullets Hazardous terrain, that's a min of 5 damage for effectively one shot. Add in blast damage and you can tag multiple models with the one shot.

Cheers,

Pip.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SuperFly TNT said:

Some random Parker thoughts.

Though costly at 8ss I find Wokou Raiders pretty essential. Combat Finesse gives them annoying survivability in engagement and their built in :tome for the Drop It trigger gives you enemy markers to fuel Parker. usually use the Raider to set up Coordinated Heist.

Coordinated Heist: A good way to get a lot of attack actions from Parker. After discarding Coordinated Heist, attach Crate of Dynamite with FFD.

I'm not overly enthusuatic about Mad Dog tbh. Blown Apart is the best thing about him really. 

I'll definitely give the Wokou Raiders another go and try them out with Coordinated Heist. That's an idea I haven't thought of yet. Ty sir. :)

27 minutes ago, Pip said:

One thing I've been doing is dropping Hail of Bullets behind some enemy models then using Mad Dog to shotgun them, then push them back into the hails of bullets for some extra cheeky damage.

So even if you do weak with both the shotgun and the Hail of Bullets Hazardous terrain, that's a min of 5 damage for effectively one shot. Add in blast damage and you can tag multiple models with the one shot.

Cheers,

Pip.

I like that little combo. I've only been using the Hail of Bullets passively to deter movement, but the idea of using it more actively really appeals to me and my style of play. Thank you. :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, asrian said:

I like that little combo. I've only been using the Hail of Bullets passively to deter movement, but the idea of using it more actively really appeals to me and my style of play. Thank you. :D

You're welcome! It gives me a chuckle if nothing else. Hail of Bullets is great for those areas of the table that are a natural bottle neck. Also, of your timing is right, you can shotgun them into the Hail of Bullets (towards the end of the turn) and, provided Parker hasn't activated, then next turn, when the models that are in the HoB terrain activate, they take more damage. So potentially for one shotgun shot, you're looking min 7 damage. Juicy!!

Cheers,

Pip.

Another trick I thought of that came up in a discussion with Michael Daly on the Facebook forums (Direct copy/pasting it as I just woke up and am not awake enough yet to retype things):

Parker + Focused Hans or Trapper:

If Parker were within 6" of Hans you could get 2 Focused shots a turn at the cost of a 7+  and a 5+ of anything. Hans' new upgrade gives him a focus for 0AP action and a 7+, so take that, fire, then use his second AP to focus again. Parker activates (with Highwayman upgrade that allows a friend to attack), flips/cheats a 5+ to have Hans fire. 

Granted, something like that I might do Turn 1, but I wouldn't have Parker sit around to just do that each turn. Still, two focused shots a turn with Hans is nice. You could do the same with a Freikorps Trapper as well if someone in the crew had I Pay Better and was within aura 10 of them at the start. From the Shadows a Trapper up a bit, discard via I Pay for a focus, fire, focus. Parker goes, walks forward to get in range if he wasn't already (thus getting him up the battlefield anyway), then he can use his 0AP for a second shot.

Again, not something I would do for Parker each turn, but it's a nice trick up your sleeve if need be. I like to do a similar trick with Sue. Double walk him up then do his anti-cast aura. If opponent decides Sue is no longer a threat and moves within his range, I walk Parker up and 0AP to have Sue take a shot (naturally built in +Flips and Ram for Crit Strike so min. damage 3).

4 minutes ago, Axelst said:

Hans upgrade doesn't need a discard to give focus, it needs a 7+.

Thank you for pointing that out. I was going off memory and lack of coffee, and was thinking about I Pay Better when I typed that. I'll amend the above post though to reflect that so as to avoid confusion for others. :D

32 minutes ago, Axelst said:

Hans upgrade doesn't need a discard to give focus, it needs a 7+.

That's so dissappointing (I haven't got my book yet) - that means not only is it competing with Reference the Field Guide, but it's STILL going to cost you a card to focus or just do nothing at all. Poor old Hans.

• Like 1