Theoryfaux: Asami

Skitt_Happens

4 hours ago, Definitechoice said:

Amanjaku might make the Emissary an auto include for me. Being able to use Prophecies in Thunder on turn 3, turn 4 and turn 5 is just insane. 

I did not think of that... you, My Good Sir/Madam, are a genius!

I just want to throw something back in the Malifaux Child's ring: his 'Just Like You' action receives :+fate to cast, which even at a 9 gives you nearly a 50% chance to top-deck (feel free to correct my maths). If it was vital that I move someone or give out focus, I'd use Asami, but if it would be really annoying for my opponent - give it a go Little Feller! 

It will need a bit of table time to be sure, but I think child will be a legitimate choice - not always, but a pain for your opponent!

• Like 1

So while we are talking Amanjaku:

Defensive: this is actually nifty for Asami with misdirection if you want to front line with her.

Focus: you can up Asami's focus +2 to +3. That sounds like overkill, but overkill is underrated IMO.

Poison/Burning: We have monks! And they have benefits to having more of these conditions. Not a stellar use but not to be forgotten. 

*Edit: also you can use this ability against enemies, so if you are one burning shy of killing at end of round, could be a nice trick.

Chi: Only chiaki benfits here, but yay!

I'm sure I am missing stuff but those are off the top of my head. Useful little bugger. 

*Edit: Forgot about Tengu! More regen anyone?

I can't see myself using that action so willy-nilly. It still costs a 9 to pull it off. Use it to help an important summon stay a bit longer? Gladly. But things like the angry monkeys you might as well resummon with Asami because they get flicker +2, in raising focus from 2 to 3 you're just wasting a perfectly good card, and poison/burning/chi is ridiculously situational. I like the Destined thing, but for now I'm not sure if I'd have any space left with Asami for the Emissary. 

RE the idea of excluding Oha....I do see your point @InvokeChaos but I think the thing you have to remember is that she can apply a 'no charge' condition to up to three models a turn when you include the emissary. Than you have Asami summon something and she places herself 'back in a safe position' behind the minions that will protect her. I see Oha bouncing around the board quite a bit and not being in the same place from turn to turn. So yes, she is vulnerable but I don't think she is that vulnerable plus, the threat of "death contract/false" on  her is interesting. Lastly she can take Smoke Grenades which can SEVERELY help her hide when necessary or just be out of range for a lot of the ranged attacks coming her way. 

Also, something else to add which has not mentioned here is that the Guild Pathfinder is a good include with Asami, and Oha can place in base contact with any (within 6") clock traps he summons. Even though they don't drop scrap markers they are nice way to help clog up the works. Especially if Oha is making them walk towards her thru them :)

• Like 3

@Tokapondora I wasn't suggesting willy-nilly just listing things it can affect that may be useful/needed as situations call for it. A 9 to give my fermented monk reactivate could be worth it. And there are lists where you get double negatives (rezzers comes to mind) so getting that triple positive might be useful. It's not using the action willy-nilly but knowing when you can pull jank out for the advantage.

@PeregrineFalcon I agree. It's a way to play her that I will be using as well, but personally grasping strands kinda does that job for me and I WANT enemies coming in. Asami is a midfield summoner. She wants to see action. Just on her terms. Yin can perform that same function of preventing charges (and walks!) and is WAY more tanky and surivable. Especially with smoke grenades. 

And I don't think she's not survivable. I don't think she's survivable in the thick, where I personally want her to be. She can pop no charge and hide behind stuff and then charge out later. She can be placed from summons to get her out of engagement. Her upgrade gives her eat your fill... Played conservatively or strategically I feel she is really hard to shift.

But I want her in my opponent's face with death contract and recalled training and threatening any and everything. But that's just me and my personal opinion :D

3 minutes ago, InvokeChaos said:
But I want her in my opponent's face with death contract and recalled training and threatening any and everything. But that's just me and my personal opinion :D

Yeah I hear you, but for that purpose I'd rather use Ama No Zako, sure her attack is a stat 5 but she has flight and can benefit from all the same things, plus she has a much better damage profile. For killy kill, I think Ama No Zako is a better include, for support/minion hunting I think Oha is the go to. 

Death Contract in general is a HUGE win for 10T in the book there is no question it will be in many a players lists going forward.

I think a lot of the concerns about damage is short-selling Ohaguro's ability to shut down defensive triggers - my cards are at home, but if I remember correctly, it's all enemy models within 6" that can't declare Df/Wp triggers.

I think Asami will play well into setups that people might like to bring summoners to, and a lot of those summoners lean heavily on defensive triggers. Telling Ramos he can't push melee attackers away, or Kirai/Dreamer that they can't pass off an attack on something nearby, or Molly that she can't trivially ignore a RJ damage flip, is far better than a better average damage spread. Tack on other miscellaneous items like every other Gremlin of note having Squeel or an equivalent trigger, and it gets way better. Even a lot of fellow 10T Masters have defensive triggers, including the option of the Misdirection upgrade.

I think you are overselling it. It isn't most summoners who rely on their triggers, it's two. Ramos has Armor, and Molly has Df 6 and Impossible to wound. Only Kirai and the Dreamer, as summoners, rely on their triggers for survival. I'm not knocking that ability, its great and very powerful. I just don't think it's the anti-summoner tech you imagine it. 

Well, I play against Ramos and have played Molly a bit, and I think that those other defensive abilities aren't entirely as great against an Asami crew. If you're doing a Jorogumo bomb, their (0) ignores Armor and applies poison. Charge, smack Ramos with your two charge attacks, finish up with the (0), and Ramos will really be wishing he had been able to shove the Joro away on the first charge attack. The plethora of :+fate to damage flips available to Oni - Joro and Obsidian have Crushing Blow, and Jokai also have the trigger for double plus flip will also cut into the number of negative flips against Molly. Granted, you can't cheat period, but it modifies the probability of not getting any weak damage flips, allowing more 3 and 4 damage flips to slip through that can't be reduced by the emergency button that is her trigger.

I think the Ama vs Ohaguro will be a discussion that could go on forever as they are both nice for Asami and are some of the only onis I would have her buy. That said they are very different and have there own uses, I might even try running both of them. Some of it I feel comes more down to the terrain, Ohaguro shines in games where there is blocking or dense terrain because she ignores if for both charges and movement but if there is a lot of low walls or rough terrain that can be seen over it opens it up for Ama. The question I feel is given what information is one better then the other. For that lets focus not on the corner cases of vs Dreamer but more at what we would actually know at the beginning of the game: Enemy Faction, Terrain, Strategy, Schemes and Deployment because that is what we build our crew around unless we know the enemy well.

For instance I would take Ama vs Gremlins all day long over Ohaguro.

While Amo is ok, I'm not sure why people love her so much with Asami. You are going to need to spread our your crew a bit and can't always afford to to have them all piled in together for the (1) ap charge buff. I would much rather have models that run independent of Asami and aren't card sinks as well (like Pathfinder who needs those 6T for traps).

I do think some of you are underestimating the power of charging through terrain and without LOS. Combind this with a free place from Asami (summon an Obsidian, place Bettari behind it, and then charge from behind it) and you can get to those important models the opponent hides. I think the key is you just can't target the big beater models with her as she is better going after support minions.

• Like 3

@Pyrflamme I don't disagree with you. I just feel that she plays a better role with other masters, that's all. I think all the things you mentioned there are part of why she won the book for me. I don't think taking her with Asami is a bad choice in the slightest; but I like the idea of her elsewhere. That being said I will be playing the hell out of her with Asami once I get back from work in september. Just to see all the ins and outs. But my current theoryfaux feels more fuzzy with running her with say Misaki or Shenlong.

@Khyodee I think that one reason I'm excited is that Ama has always felt a tad underwhelming to me. She's a straight minion murderer, but because of her Ml5, I've always kinda kept her in the bag. Getting that 1AP charge as well as the Focus +2 from Asami feels like a good way to shore up some of her shortcomings. She also provides some cool tech that you don't have access to otherwise. While Betty has that amazing kill triggers aura, I've played around enemy triggers just fine so far. It's amazing and totally boss... but I don't think it makes her an auto-include. I like Betty's denial and utility for oni, but I also really like Ama's hazardous terrain, gobbling and mini-obey. I think running them both is a super legit option and look forward to trying that as well. But her damage potential is just so much stronger than Betty's. I don't intend to be using Asami's charge boost constantly, but if I brought Ama, she would be chilling closing enough to Asami to benefit for at least one turn. And that's hopefully all I will need.

As to Betty's charging, being a big Misaki player I don't discount how amazing those traits are at all. My group has been lamenting my access to such a powerful thing since we found out about it. And it's a big reason why I consider Betty a scalpel strapped onto a rocket. I've commented a few times in various threads that Master's need to beware of her: a solid hand and some bad soulstone flips are all that is needed to one round most Master's with Betty. If I get three severe's in hand, I'm probably going for it. Going to take some tabletime to determine how viable that truly is though.

I really feel she has the mobility and tricks to wreck a backline with little threat until she engages. But I can also wreck a backline with Asami's summoning; hurling Yokai, Obsidians and Doom Spiders at their beaters and support. So I've come to want a stalwart, survivable henchman that can look at an enemy unflinching and say, "come at me bro!" (which Ama really doesn't fit, but I think she is far beefier than Betty). With the style that I seem to be gravitating towards with Asami, Betty just isn't an auto-include for me. But that's why I really have been looking at a toshiro or yamaziko. They aren't the most hardy of henches, but they've got solid beef and defensive tech that I think adds what I'm looking for.

I also just like spawning the discussion of what other crazy stuff we can do, really. I love Betty, love her with Asami and love her with all of my other Master's too.

On a side note... I really love the fluffiness of running Ama with Amanjaku. That may or may not be tainting some of my perceptions hehe. :D

• Like 1

I had my first proper game with Asami last night, but I'm not sure how much I learned from it. My opponent (playing Marcus) made an enormous error...I had already killed a poison gamin, performer, and Myranda, so things were going well for me (Ohaguro and Yasunori were also dead, so fair is fair), when he revealed his first scheme - Mark for Death. So he killed one of my Marked models...and I got a free tengu from Feigned Weakness. He killed another, and I got a free yokai. He scored for the strategy on turn 2 and I got another yokai. He earned his 3rd point for Mark for Death and I got a free obsidian oni, plus another yokai at the end of turn 3. That was 5 free models I summoned for a total expenditure of 0 cards, 0 ap, and 1ss + the upgrade slot. He learned, in the future, that he needs to watch out for Feigned Weakness.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Da Git said:

And yeah, I think this will really only work once...

I think it depends on how you define it "working." If your opponent goes ahead by a point and you get a free model, that's definitely Feigned Weakness working. But if fear of it keeps your opponent from scoring a point when they might otherwise do so, or letting you score a point they might otherwise have contested, I think that's still valuable work. Worst case, if it affects their scheme choices to the point where they pick late-game schemes rather than an earlier-scoring scheme they might be better suited for, I feel like that might still be worth a Soulstone and an upgrade slot.

Had my first game with Asami last night, winning 5-3 on Interference against the Viks. 

I took Heavenly Design and Nefarious Pact. & Amanjaku

Betti w/ Fate of Mortals,

Ama w/ RT and The Peaceful Waters,

Shadow Em w/ Shadow Conflux

MLR, 10T Bro

I assumed I'd see Johan but I didn't so Nefarious Pact wasn't stellar. The card draw is nice and against Outcasts it will usually be a winner, just not quite this time. Heavenly Design is amazing. The 6" place saved me from Vik of Blood and got me Set Up on turn two against Vanessa. Super super good. 

Amanjaku didn't do much besides hold up Vik of Ashes for two turns thanks to Manipulatice. He's cheap but Id probably only take him again against Guild or Gremlins for the anti-shoot aura. 

Betti was the MVP. She hid behind a wall and charged to the other side of Taelor at the end of turn 2, killing her the next turn. Helping to score my only point in Interfere ze. The auto Flay is amazing when you have that odd severe in hand not being used for a Jurogumo. 10/10 would hire again. 

Ama No Zako I did not like. She's an expensive and squishy scheme runner that needs suits for everything, sometimes competing with Asami. I think she competes against Betti for minion hunting too. I'll need to try her out on her own more often - not taking Peaceful Waters for example. 

Shadow Emissary did his thing but was never in range for his + attack aura on minions. He's much better with Shenlong. Too many models bunched near Asami will be a huge trap and you'll pay for it against blasters and the Viks like I did ?

10T Bro got shanked by Vik of Blood right away but the LRM was ace in removing slow from a Jorugumo to get out there for my Convict Labor point. I feel a monk plus Tannen might be the best support bubble for Asami. I didn't play Tannen this game but making the summons easier plus no cheating aura will be amazing. 

I screwed up on upgrades this game and misplayed stuff like forgetting to draw a card after Asami was done. Nothing that won't get worked through with more games. She's strong and deep, I like her. 

I just had my first game with her last night as part of a grow league, it was only 40 stones. My list:

Asami with Nefarious Pact and A Heavenly Design which I think will be the 2 most common upgrades on her.

Ohaguro Bettari with A Taster for Fresh, Recall Training, once again another set that I feel will be common and Death Contract, which is optional

Obsidian Oni

Amanjaku

Obsidian Oni

Shadow effigy

Samurai with Blessing of Jigoku and False Target

I had Headhunter (3) as the strategy with my schemes being Hunting Party (2) and Leave your Mark (3) for a total of 8 points and my enemy had Kirai and got 9. The only model I had left on the board was the Samurai. The outcome was did not look like it would be that close, I account that more to skill and keeping your eyes on the goal then Asami's power.

So now the opinions of the models:

Asami: if you thought she would be a Dreamer or Molly, well I have played them both and she is lacking by comparison. One problem is she has a good high end summon and then some good low but nothing in between, I would like a summon that takes an 11 or a 12 but preferably an 11. Next where Molly and the Dreamer have some very good other action such as Whispered Secret, Revelation or Empty Night. Also both Dreamer and Molly can get accomplice which is huge for a master in this sort of area. Reaching Tendrils is an ok action but often if you are using it on an enemy then they are already in range for things to charge. She is a very mobile master, so much that she often picked up the head markers and summon, but I felt like I lost nothing for doing so which speaks a lot about her. It is also very tough to get a good amount of flickering on a model. I summoned a Yokai, Obsidian Oni and 2 Jorogumo during the game. I think I will have Grasping Strands in my next game. I did get her Devoured Whole trigger unfortunately it was early enough my enemy had cards.

Amanjaku: Take him, leave him either way I am fine. He did not do much and was basically just another activation. Never got A taste of Life off nor Onwards Into Night. Mostly I had him clean up my enemy models that were near dead.

Ohaguro Bettari: She did her job. I think she is a solid model the only real down side is that you will want a lot of high cards between her and Asami because Flay with a 11+ being a 6 is great. I did not use Haunting Song, partly because I was expecting her to die. I do like her upgrade and recall training with her. My one complaint is that she died early after getting hit by a hanged.

Death Contract: came late enough in a turn that it cost my enemy 2 soul stones to save Datsu Ba which worked well. Yes killing with it would have been great but I traded a 1 stone upgrade for 2 stones that is a good deal.

Summon thoughts

Yokai: I summoned one first turn and he charged out doing a little bit of damage just to die after his 3 attacks. Not a bad summon on a 9 or even a 10. The triggers you want with him are Just a Taste to help with further summons flickers and Vital Strike to get a 3rd attack even though it makes him die that turn.

Obsidian Oni: they both died too quickly to tell but I would still take one just for the healing or double focus Flames From the Heaven.

Jorogumo: Yes Please.

I think my standard for her is going to be:

Asami with Nefarious Pact and A Heavenly Design

An Oni Henchmen

Obsidian Oni

Samurai

I think Asami's ideal activation is to 0 action A Heavenly Design, Summon and 2 Oni's Strength or if she needs to fight Oni's Strength, Another Mouth to Feed, 0 action A Heavenly Design away and summon. I do not know how common these will turns will happen though.

I also love how all the onis look other then the Tengu, they do not look like Tengu to me nor do they look cool. The Jorogumo do not look like what they are either but they still look great.

9 minutes ago, Cadaverousbirth said:

I assumed I'd see Johan but I didn't so Nefarious Pact wasn't stellar. The card draw is nice and against Outcasts it will usually be a winner, just not quite this time. Heavenly Design is amazing. The 6" place saved me from Vik of Blood and got me Set Up on turn two against Vanessa. Super super good. 

Nefarious Pact is Asami's car insurance: it is a waist till you need it but then you will be glad you have it. As far as upgrades go I am not a fan of those types as often it feels like a tax to make a master work how they should vs an additionally neat thing added to the master.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, D_acolyte said:

I just had my first game with her last night as part of a grow league, it was only 40 stones. My list:

Asami with Nefarious Pact and A Heavenly Design which I think will be the 2 most common upgrades on her.

Ohaguro Bettari with A Taster for Fresh, Recall Training, once again another set that I feel will be common and Death Contract, which is optional

Obsidian Oni

Amanjaku

Obsidian Oni

Shadow effigy

Samurai with Blessing of Jigoku and False Target

I had Headhunter (3) as the strategy with my schemes being Hunting Party (2) and Leave your Mark (3) for a total of 8 points and my enemy had Kirai and got 9. The only model I had left on the board was the Samurai. The outcome was did not look like it would be that close, I account that more to skill and keeping your eyes on the goal then Asami's power.

So now the opinions of the models:

Asami: if you thought she would be a Dreamer or Molly, well I have played them both and she is lacking by comparison. One problem is she has a good high end summon and then some good low but nothing in between, I would like a summon that takes an 11 or a 12 but preferably an 11. Next where Molly and the Dreamer have some very good other action such as Whispered Secret, Revelation or Empty Night. Also both Dreamer and Molly can get accomplice which is huge for a master in this sort of area. Reaching Tendrils is an ok action but often if you are using it on an enemy then they are already in range for things to charge. She is a very mobile master, so much that she often picked up the head markers and summon, but I felt like I lost nothing for doing so which speaks a lot about her. It is also very tough to get a good amount of flickering on a model. I summoned a Yokai, Obsidian Oni and 2 Jorogumo during the game. I think I will have Grasping Strands in my next game. I did get her Devoured Whole trigger unfortunately it was early enough my enemy had cards.

Amanjaku: Take him, leave him either way I am fine. He did not do much and was basically just another activation. Never got A taste of Life off nor Onwards Into Night. Mostly I had him clean up my enemy models that were near dead.

Ohaguro Bettari: She did her job. I think she is a solid model the only real down side is that you will want a lot of high cards between her and Asami because Flay with a 11+ being a 6 is great. I did not use Haunting Song, partly because I was expecting her to die. I do like her upgrade and recall training with her. My one complaint is that she died early after getting hit by a hanged.

Death Contract: came late enough in a turn that it cost my enemy 2 soul stones to save Datsu Ba which worked well. Yes killing with it would have been great but I traded a 1 stone upgrade for 2 stones that is a good deal.

Summon thoughts

Yokai: I summoned one first turn and he charged out doing a little bit of damage just to die after his 3 attacks. Not a bad summon on a 9 or even a 10. The triggers you want with him are Just a Taste to help with further summons flickers and Vital Strike to get a 3rd attack even though it makes him die that turn.

Obsidian Oni: they both died too quickly to tell but I would still take one just for the healing or double focus Flames From the Heaven.

Jorogumo: Yes Please.

I think my standard for her is going to be:

Asami with Nefarious Pact and A Heavenly Design

An Oni Henchmen

Obsidian Oni

Samurai

I think Asami's ideal activation is to 0 action A Heavenly Design, Summon and 2 Oni's Strength or if she needs to fight Oni's Strength, Another Mouth to Feed, 0 action A Heavenly Design away and summon. I do not know how common these will turns will happen though.

I also love how all the onis look other then the Tengu, they do not look like Tengu to me nor do they look cool. The Jorogumo do not look like what they are either but they still look great.

You literally summed up my first experience with her in your post. I feel exactly as you do about her. I think the Yokai are actually better summons in some cases than the Joro simply because getting a Joro out on a 13 is nice, BUT that 13 is also a guaranteed hit by something else, or a potential severe dmg as well. I think Summoning a Joro is only good if you have a 13 and at least 2 other face cards otherwise you're limiting what you can do with the summon and the rest of the crew.

I was very happy with how Yokai worked and I think Oha is going to be fine but going to take some time for me to get right. I really like the Shadow Emissary in general, but the 4" is just short enough to not make it always include. Now with that said I think the Emissary is good (simply because his (0) to get cards isn't bad). Right now I'm going to try and build some lists without him and add in some other toys.

My list was:

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
Asami Tanaka + 7 Pool
 - A Heavenly Design (2)
 - Grasping Strands (1)
 - The Fate of Mortals (2)
 - False Target (0)
Amanjaku (3)
Ohaguro Bettari (8)
 - Death Contract (1)
 - Smoke Grenades (1)
 - Recalled Training (1)
Shadow Emissary (10)
 - Shadow Conflux (0)
Katanaka Sniper (7)
Guild Pathfinder (6)
Shadow Effigy (4)

Plan is to change it slightly to this because I think Equality on Asami gives her some necessary extra healing:

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
Asami Tanaka + 7 Pool
 - Grasping Strands (1)
 - A Heavenly Design (2)
 - Equality (1)
 - Death Contract (1)
Amanjaku (3)
Ohaguro Bettari (8)
 - The Fate of Mortals (2)
 - Smoke Grenades (1)
Shadow Emissary (10)
 - Shadow Conflux (0)
 - False Target (0)
Katanaka Sniper (7)
Guild Pathfinder (6)
Shadow Effigy (4)

Lastly, I'm thinking about trying something like these in the future (this list is meant to help shore up issues that 10T have with a lack of Wp based attacks)

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
Asami Tanaka + 5 Pool
 - Grasping Strands (1)
 - A Heavenly Design (2)
 - Equality (1)
 - False Target (0)
Amanjaku (3)
Ohaguro Bettari (8)
 - Recalled Training (1)
Bishop (11)
 - Recalled Training (1)
 - Death Contract (1)
Yin The Penangalan (8)
Katanaka Sniper (7)
Shadow Effigy (4)

Anna Lovelace based (Rush of Magic)

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
Asami Tanaka + 6 Pool
 - Grasping Strands (1)
 - A Heavenly Design (2)
 - Equality (1)
 - False Target (0)
Amanjaku (3)
Anna Lovelace (10)
 - Recalled Training (1)
Ohaguro Bettari (8)
 - Recalled Training (1)
 - Death Contract (1)
Yin The Penangalan (8)
Katanaka Sniper (7)
Shadow Effigy (4)

Interesting lists.

I also agree on wanting a few high cards if I want to summon a Jorogumo. I am toying around with some ideas and may post them later, I am still letting some of yesterdays game settle in my mind.

I am also trying to figure out when Fate of Mortals would be good. I would probably put it on Yasunori. I am coming up with when you want a lot of yokai and that about it or if you just want more cards, I would put it on for that I rather have smoke grenades on him.

8 minutes ago, D_acolyte said:

Interesting lists.

I also agree on wanting a few high cards if I want to summon a Jorogumo. I am toying around with some ideas and may post them later, I am still letting some of yesterdays game settle in my mind.

I am also trying to figure out when Fate of Mortals would be good. I would probably put it on Yasunori. I am coming up with when you want a lot of yokai and that about it or if you just want more cards, I would put it on for that I rather have smoke grenades on him.

Yeah that's what I've been doing since Tuesdays game. The idea with Anna Lovelace really intrigues me because she can shoot into engagement without randomizing and she can summon Seishin and Mindless Zombies off her gun (tome) or force Horror duels (crows). This is nice considering our Oni are going to be up there charging in and engaging models.