Learning to use Reva

3 hours ago, SurreyLee said:

This then comes down to rules as written as opposed to intended. I clearly think the intention would be to allow 2 mindless zombies.

Because the original wording of the spell stated markers (plural) because 2 markers are in fact put down, this is being used as the reason NOT to give two zombies. Now, it may well be the intention of the game developers to to only allow the one MZ, but I feel for the cost of s 7 cards and the upgrade that the intention is to allow one MZ for each casting of Shards. 

Problem is that we are consistently told not to derive intention from rules and only to play them as written. I would argue that the intention of the FAQ covering 30mm models standing on scheme markers is applicable to all markers and Ht is irrelevant but RaW suggests otherwise to rehash the argument from earlier in the thread.

A 7 of any card to put up shards is strong already and putting up two of them is extremely powerful when it's so easy to cast (even Sonnia needs a 6, a 9 and a little helper to get two up!) as you can completely cut the board off. The intention as regards the MZ is not clear and can be interpreted in a number of ways as highlighted in this thread. I'd say that you only get one but I can definitely see the case for getting two as well so it certainly needs clarification .

6 hours ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

Has anyone tried a Reva list without Vincent?

My friend played Reva without him yesterday to a small "new players only" 40 SS, fixed master tournament. He lost 5-10 to Misaki, and it was only game without Vincent. Reva had Guises of Death, Litany of fallen and Maniacal Laugh. The crew had Mortimer(My little helper and Corpse Bloat), two Shieldbearers, Rotten Belle and Crooligan. Misaki went very elite crew, with her taking Stalking Bisento and Misdirection and hiring Shang, Ototo(call of thunder), Sensei Yu(fermented style and promising disciple) and Jorogumo. The scheme pool was Turf war, line in the sand, assasinate, breakthrough, murder protege and spring the trap. My friend scored Assasinate for 2 VP, 2 from unrevealed breakthrough and one from strategy. Taking Mortimer was huge mistake, as he was easily killed after taking his spleen out and being charged by Misaki and killed in second turn. Without Vincent and his crossbow the fight was impossible- his repeating crossbow is pure gold against HtK models who can heal quickly. Mortimer for 12 SS is overpriced for what he does. In other game, against Som'er instead, Vincent was able to kill two bayou gremlins with 1 AP crossbow attack 3 times during encounter(and 2 of that 3 was during one activation) and others tried to retaliate, he simply won duels, pushed out of Bayou Gremlins range, survived charging Rooster Rider(while burning stone) and killed it in next activation. He was pure gold, scoring Make Them suffer almost alone, with just little help from Reva and Datsue Ba, and scored full entourage(shooting gremlins gave him lot of mobility). He is pure gold in Reva, especially against Ramos/Hoffman/Kirai, shredding armor and incorporeal. 

12 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I'm debating it as I haven't had much use from him yet. Or not as much as I feel he should give me. He's also died relatively easily as he has to get pretty close to the action. This could just be me misplaying him though. 

If I don't take him I'm probably going to take Decaying Aura or the one that ignores armour on Reva though. I might try this this weekend. Thinking Anna Lovelace instead of Vincent.

From my experience and games that I witnessed, Litany of Fallen is not worth buying unless you expect Arcanists, Iron Levi or Hoffman. The cost is high and you can't declare any other triggers, which is bad if you play Beyond Death Reva. Anna is super together with strong tarpit, but you should watch for screaming from the aether trigger since it can paralyze your model(happened once to me, now i'm usually taking Flesh Construct). The canine remains are nice with her for their -1 def aura and found a bone for Reva. Decaying aura works best with Bete Noire, for her surprise attack. I also like taking Forgotten Marshall for his (0) action to grant +2 CG(and with my little helper it is +4 CG) and built-in trigger for +1 damage suffered from anything. 

Other models I would consider to replace Vincent is Toshiro or Valedictorian, and maybe Sybelle if I go with other ranged support piece. Datsue Ba is also nice against mobile/heavy armored crew, since she can summon Seishin or other models that you kill with her(but she is better with Vincent and some shieldbearers or spirits).

• Like 1

I've tried taking taking Toshiro often with the Shieldbearers but i find that i'm always dissatisfied with the results. It is hard for me to correlate how much he actually helps with his minion buffing auras, though last game he did help me score fully for Vendetta and Deliver a Message because he gave a SB fast. It is entirely possible i just play poorly with him though so any tips would be appreciated.

I've been contemplating taking the Valedictorian instead but this is just theory-faux as i have yet to purchase her.

I love Toshiro. His buffs can really help the Shieldbearers and since they can get Fast with a Soulstone, he can use his other 0 action to give them all Focus (at the price of a scheme marker). :P

I also really like bringing Command the Graves as the option to summon in a Reva crew is missing. Even summoning one Ashigaru can be a big help and it's not like Reva cares that much about Crows. 

I still want to try Datsue bae and the Valedictorian as well though. Just have to force myself to step out of my comfort zone. I think I will try Anna this weekend with Toshiro and see how that goes. Vincent's 0 is nice, but I haven't gotten much out of it myself yet. 

• Like 1

Just got to pipe in, the Vince/Reva combo (with a thrown in Yin for extra filth), can easily take off a henchman or master a turn just by debuffing with the two and letting Reva lay the damage.

I had a game on Friday night (I was very lucky...) Vince activates, he is far up the field, targets Joss with Light at the End, burn a stone for the ram and boop Joss is now quite squishy. Then managed to get 4(!) crossbow shots off on him with all the low range taking him down to H2K.

Activation 2, Reva summons a corpse candle, (0) teleports up to it, in range to hit an electrical creation. Hits it, with a Tome, charges the mech rider that is 11" away, but positions herself in between it and Joss. 3 hits, 2 low range, 1 mid, dead mechaical rider (there was a few stones burnt for positives), then with final attack, stoned for a positive, and killed joss also. 2 activations. 22 stones gone... Her alpha strike potential is terrifying.

Had a game last night, similar thing, but dead Yan-Lo bottom of turn 1 (focus hit him with a red joker after vince had whacked a few rounds into him)... 

Key to me is either activate her early if you can cripple the enemy crew, or activate her late-last to put down a model.

Still love Reva, although feel my 'usual' opponents are either going to learn her schtick and start fucking her....or...not want to play her anymore :/....

Also IMHO MLH, is almost OP for it's cost, especially with models like Vince who can deploy really aggressively without fear of repercussion.... 

33 minutes ago, theshiggidy said:

I've only had one real game (the other was a 3 player game without henchmen) and she seems excellent. Just having so many attack vectors gives so much flexibility,  let alone being able to charge 10" hit a trigger and charge someone else if you take the upgrade. Crazy! 

Oh don't waste the 2 AP mate on the charge. Just hit some one through a corpse..some random scrub. Get the charge trigger off, charge the actual target, do 2 attacks on it, if you manage to kill it, you now have 2 AP to charge another target!! Factor in her (0), for the cost of 1 AP and a tome-hit, you can possibly put 5 attacks onto 1 model. Factor in Vince stopping reduction and prevention..... It's almost Vik like (just no whirlwind). 

Add yin on target for further death assurances. 

Reva can't force Yin to take (0) action by blood mark, since Yin is not Spirit or Revenant. But her [-] is good for Reva anyway. Phillip with his ability to turn schemes to corpses is other viable option, so is Datsue Ba for free walks or Denial of Sanzu. I don't have Ripples book yet, but Goryo and Draugr are probably viable too.

21 hours ago, TheTrans said:

Oh don't waste the 2 AP mate on the charge. Just hit some one through a corpse..some random scrub. Get the charge trigger off, charge the actual target, do 2 attacks on it, if you manage to kill it, you now have 2 AP to charge another target!! Factor in her (0), for the cost of 1 AP and a tome-hit, you can possibly put 5 attacks onto 1 model. Factor in Vince stopping reduction and prevention..... It's almost Vik like (just no whirlwind). 

Add yin on target for further death assurances. 

Of course you can trigger the charge from anywhere on the board *face palm* 

I had a sweet match against the Viks a week or so ago where I managed to keep Reva "disguised" the entire match (at least all turns where it mattered), quite frustrating for the opponent never being able to charge her. Neutralize the leader was in the pool as well. Some careful positioning, good use of the corpse candles is key when protecting her from a melee orienting crew and still get the most out of her.

Corpse Candles = Gold!

Some tricks with the Corpse-Candles I came to think of.

Since the Corpse Candles are Spirits you can use Revas Blood Mark from the bloodmark upgrade to basically give Reva an Accomplice-like ability for 1 AP and a low medium card (if you dont flip high enough, a 6)

You summon a corpse Candle when she activates with Forgotte Dead ability.
Use Blood mark on the candle (need a 6 for it to go of) position it better if needed and make it use the 0 Blind Sacrifice to draw a card and discard a card (always awesome) and then target a friendly model within 8" that gets to activate after the current activation). As a bonus You get a corpse marker in position for Revas upcoming attacks. You don’t have the restriction of within 6" for accomplice either so this one is a lot more flexible.

Great for putting heavy pressure on the opponent with your beatsticks. Getting to activate 2 amazing killers back to back is bonkers and thats perhaps why accomplice is an uncommon ablity for a damage dealer to have. Sure Reva gets 1 less AP but since she can charge for 1 AP (with Beyond Death trigger) and use her 0 to Damage you will still be able to put out some serious hurt.

Getting a “accomplice after Reva” is of course also Great for collecting that head in Headhunter after reva kills a target and you want to pick up the head before the opponent do.

If you want to keep Reva safe you can of use one of her 1AP to Blood Mark the corpse Candle to use it for the disguised ability as well never letting the opponent get the chance to charge her at all.

Bette Noir is amazing in a crew where you have models that can kill themselves. Since The Corpse Candles “kill” is a 0 you can basicly take a walk with a newly summoned Corpse Candle into position and kill itself, why not to give Reva disguised or perhaps “accomplice” into something. Then Pop Out bette in a flurry position right away, and don’t forget the corpse marker.

Have you guys found something cool to do with the corpse candles yet?

• Like 1

On 12.09.2016 at 1:21 AM, TheTrans said:

Just got to pipe in, the Vince/Reva combo (with a thrown in Yin for extra filth), can easily take off a henchman or master a turn just by debuffing with the two and letting Reva lay the damage.

I had a game on Friday night (I was very lucky...) Vince activates, he is far up the field, targets Joss with Light at the End, burn a stone for the ram and boop Joss is now quite squishy. Then managed to get 4(!) crossbow shots off on him with all the low range taking him down to H2K.

Activation 2, Reva summons a corpse candle, (0) teleports up to it, in range to hit an electrical creation. Hits it, with a Tome, charges the mech rider that is 11" away, but positions herself in between it and Joss. 3 hits, 2 low range, 1 mid, dead mechaical rider (there was a few stones burnt for positives), then with final attack, stoned for a positive, and killed joss also. 2 activations. 22 stones gone... Her alpha strike potential is terrifying.

Had a game last night, similar thing, but dead Yan-Lo bottom of turn 1 (focus hit him with a red joker after vince had whacked a few rounds into him)... 

Key to me is either activate her early if you can cripple the enemy crew, or activate her late-last to put down a model.

Still love Reva, although feel my 'usual' opponents are either going to learn her schtick and start fucking her....or...not want to play her anymore :/....

Also IMHO MLH, is almost OP for it's cost, especially with models like Vince who can deploy really aggressively without fear of repercussion.... 

This actually makes Leveticus look like a normal master :(

1 hour ago, Khaiden said:
Have you guys found something cool to do with the corpse candles yet?

Pretty much everything you've stated is my primary use for her candles. Chain activating Vincent with Blood Mark is solid because if the candle is close enough you can use the built in trigger to increase his damage. I also love using the candles' push to redistribute the corpse markers to vital areas of the board. Disguise is amazing for protection. I love disguising Reva, Vincent, or Chiaki against my opponent, especially because my opponent's favorite master is Misaki. *Insert Maniacal Laughter*

I will say something i love about Reva, Vincent, and the candles are what they do for your control hand. You really only need 5 cards as you'll want to dump the sixth to summon. Using the candles to chain activate allows you to cycle a card and Vincent allows you to cycle a card if you discard a corpse marker around him such as from Reva's trigger to increase her damage track or from his own ability to get a suit of his choice. Its not the most manipulation but it does allow you to ensure a decent to amazing hand for most turns. 

Edited by TheJoyInGaming
Rules Correction
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

Vincent allows you to cycle a card if you discard a corpse marker around him such as from Reva's trigger to increase her damage track or from his own ability to get a suit of his choice. 

He only cycles if the corpse marker is discarded during another models activation

I tried something silly / fun at a tournament last weekend that I thought I'd share. I had been thinking about it for a while, but wasn't sure if it would / could work or not (ranges, etc.) but I have been able to pull it off.

Reva with Blood mark and Guises. Those are both musts. I also used Litany for my game.

Vincent with Deal with Death and My little helper.

Killjoy with Decaying Aura.

I also ran Anna, and 2 shield bearers.

The idea is to deliver Killjoy to whatever model you feel deserves a fitting demise. You can do it first turn before your opponent has even moved a model. If it just so happens that his master is left with nothing in front of it, then you've got yourself a potential first play assassinate.

The game plan is to do the following: Place a corpse candle at 9" away from enemy model. Activate Reva, pitch a card to summon CC at 5" away from Reva. Use Reva's (0) to place her next to CC. Place her to the side so if you push the candle it doesn't run into her base. Cast Blood mark on far away candle. Have it push 5" and use it's (0) to make opponent pitch a card or gain + flips. Either way you're still good to go. CC Dies and drops a corpse marker on the side closest to target enemy. Place Killjoy on other side. Use blood mark on other CC to push 5 and use (0) to draw a card and pitch a card and chain activate Killjoy. You have 1 AP left to either move again or make an attack at a model within 3" of the deeper Corpse marker. Killjoy immediately activates and charges for (1). Hopefully, you'll get at least 1 successful onslaught trigger, but for the most part you'll have a good chance of wrecking whoever you're targeting. They can't stone to prevent any of the damage either. 

The downsides, which there are plenty of.. you need: 8, 6, 6, and a card to do it all. You hopefully won't have to cheat all those flips, but it's possible. Secondly, Killjoy is a sitting duck after he does his business. If they don't manage to kill him though, his next turn he should be able to heal back up a decent amount and continue his rampage.

All in all it was something I had thought about and wanted to try and actually did. Now as far as how it went... Killjoy slaughtered a Carrion Emissary t1, and died after the rest of the crew picked at him. So not a great trade SS wise, but ate up a lot of opponents activations / options. Bette is also a lot of fun in the same way, but she doesn't pack the same initial punch that KJ does. I will still use her for sure though.

On 9/9/2016 at 11:48 AM, Paddywhack said:

I love Toshiro. His buffs can really help the Shieldbearers and since they can get Fast with a Soulstone, he can use his other 0 action to give them all Focus (at the price of a scheme marker). :P

I also really like bringing Command the Graves as the option to summon in a Reva crew is missing. Even summoning one Ashigaru can be a big help and it's not like Reva cares that much about Crows. 

I still want to try Datsue bae and the Valedictorian as well though. Just have to force myself to step out of my comfort zone. I think I will try Anna this weekend with Toshiro and see how that goes. Vincent's 0 is nice, but I haven't gotten much out of it myself yet. 

I've played more with Toshiro since and the more i get comfortable with him i find that i like his death bubble with the Sbers more and more. Being able to consistently give them fast can make them so nasty. I've yet to use the Focus 0 though. War Fan does so much for them. I have yet to purchase Val but when i do i will try her and Toshiro together.

16 minutes ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

I've played more with Toshiro since and the more i get comfortable with him i find that i like his death bubble with the Sbers more and more. Being able to consistently give them fast can make them so nasty. I've yet to use the Focus 0 though. War Fan does so much for them. I have yet to purchase Val but when i do i will try her and Toshiro together.

Well you don't need War Fan if you give them Fast with Vigor ;)

I had three SBs all with Fast and Focus one game. You do have to spend an AP somewhere to get the scheme marker, and I like to have a Doxy or someone to push as necessary, but pretty easy to setup. 

So, had a 14 player tournament yesterday that I managed to win handily.

Game 1 was against a generic Summoning Somer list, with Burt, Francois, A rooster rider and all the bayous and slop haulers. Was head hunter (not ideal for Reva).

I took 

Reva, Tome Charge upgrade, Maniacal Laugh

Vince, Deal with Death, MLH

Carrion Emissary, MLH

Yin

Shield Bearer
Shield Bearer

Necropunk

So Francois was dead by the end of turn 1, but there was probably 13 odd enemy models there, all that was left on the table by the end of turn 3 was Summer and 1 Gremlin, I had lost nothing. Called it there, 10-4 my way.

Next round was against Molly summoning horrors, Killjoy, Bette, Sybelle and 2 crooligans. Was made for super alpha strike shenanigans.
I Took:

Reva, Tome Charge upgrade, Maniacal Laugh

Vince, Deal with Death, MLH

Carrion Emissary, MLH

Yin, Necrotic Prep

Shield Bearer
Shield Bearer

Chiaki

It was extraction, I also took line in the sand and show of force. Double debuffed molly with Yin and Vince by the bottom of turn 1, Reva got charged by Killjoy, used most of my stones for +ve DF flips and prevention. She bolted out of dodge and fluffed most of her attacks. Bottom of turn 2, I had lost 1 shield bearer. But Molly was dead, killjoy on 4 wounds and me getting scheme and strat points. Called it there. 10-0

Round 3

Was against a mate rocking Raspy (with all the raspy upgrades), 2 Ice Gamin, Snow Storm, December Acolyte, Malifaux Raptor Arcane Emissary and the wendigo. The Strat was collect the bounty. We both took exhaust, I took line in the sand.

End of turn 4, dead Emissary, Dead Raspy, Dead ice gamin, dead snow storm. I had lost a shield bearer and vince. Again Yin coupled with Reva...disgusting...

10-3 (only due to it going to turn 6, as we cancelled each other out round 2 on strat). 

So, I believe, although fragile, her, combo'd with Vince and Yin, are able to easily take out a master or henchman a turn.. Always take as much cache as humanly possible!!

So, Reva, solid!! 

So I finally got in my first game with Reva last night. Played the Trickster scenario against Ulix and all the angry large pigs. 

My list:

Reva - maniacal laugh, blood mark, beyond death (charge upgrade) 

Vince - mlh, deal with death

Emissary - mlh

Hayreddin 

2 shieldbearer 

Crooligan 

Vince didn't get to do much, he always whiffed when trying to (0) or shoot. Emissary got a first turn charge on Gracie  which was an unnecessary mistake just made to lay down two shards to box in Ulix. Sadly the second shard was black jokered, the first one really helped to redirect Major, which had a huge impact on the later stages of the game. Later on the Emissary got beaten by Gracie and Ulix, which reduced him to hard to kill. Hayreddin saved him by pushing him out of combat and engaging the two enemies. Emissary later got a blast on Gracie and Ulix, which was nice but didn't do much besides that. 

Hayreddin was a beast. Tanked Ulix and Gracie for most of 2 turns and then charged in to deny victory points by engaging and beating on Major. He then tanked Major, the Sow and two Piglets, only got hit once to kill a pig with black blood. Vitality for armor ignore also helped with getting Gracie down. His aura is sick good with Reva as she is able to beat onto people from a safe distance. 

The Shieldbearers were also great. They tanked way above their paycheck and did some damage to the pigs. Great models! 

Finally Reva. She is such a beast! Was lucky to be able to place her behind a ruin so that she couldn't be seen but was able to place candles through which she could attack Gracie an Ulix. Just attacked on turn 1, charged Ulix by hitting Gracie on turn two, killing him. After that she still had AP left and I uselessly beat on dead models because I forgot there was a corpse in a good spot. Always activated her last or close to last so I didn't get a chance to use the Candles for anything but disguised (which helped her a lot) and didn't get a chance to use blood mark. Turn 3 she charged and killed Major through several pigs, then killed a Warpig and still had one AP and her 0. My opponent then called it a game because he wouldn't have been able to score and I was up by 3 VP for assasination. 

Tomorrow I'm going to play her in the Child scenario vs Guild. We'll see how it goes. 

Question about something in your report. If you positioned Reva, a Ht3 model, in such a way as to not be seen, how were you summoning CC or attacking through corpses? To summon you must be able to see the model summoned, and to attack through corpses, you must be able to see the marker. Putting Reva behind terrain such that she can't be seen means you can't see either, ad that would limit your vectors of summoning and attacking basically to only the extreme sides and behind her. Did your opponent walk into the obvious kill zones, or did something about her placement get lost in the telling?

• Like 1

The ruin was an archway. So Reva sat behind there, able to see through the gate. She didn't hug the base but to be shot or charged the model would have had to wall quite a bit. Summoning through the gate and thus that Ulix and Gracie were in 3" of the Candle was easily doable. I'm aware of the summoning mechanics, but thanks for the heads up.

Edit:

Picture - here you can see the setup at the start. The lines roughly indicate Reva's LOS. The fight took place where Gracie started and the Candles were summoned between the archway and the house behind which Hayreddin started. 

To all the Rezzers who have already played her: Which (0) do you use most commonly? Which Soulbound upgrade do you usually give the Shieldbearers? 

Edited by Greebo
Picture added