Learning to use Reva

Oh, I agree, but this situation can easilly be mitigated on deployment so as to not be able to reach the master and terrain is still a thing. You will cause mayhem against someone not on guard, but once people get savy I'd expect it to be a lot less useful to send the candle forward that much instead of keeping it closer to the centre or next to objectives.

I'd agree. I that's why I lean toward the other limited.

I'd agree. I that's why I lean toward the other limited.

I wouldn't go that far. The ability to keep using corpses as attack nodes even when engaged opens up a lot od nicr plays like engaginga flanking objective grabber that can't do much to you while wailling hard on a beedcake the other side of the board.3" engage ia always huge, so anything that lets me abuse it without getting myself killed ia more than welcome. The starter candle being able to position at an annoying area is just a bonus.

Her other limited I'm not too keen on since I don't feel she can hold for long if she goes in deep. She just seems like rasputina with better stats,mirrors, more consistent damage and much less spike potential, so keep away would be my battle plan with support withher push and disruption withher engagement range when possible.

Her other limited I'm not too keen on since I don't feel she can hold for long if she goes in deep. She just seems like rasputina with better stats,mirrors, more consistent damage and much less spike potential, so keep away would be my battle plan with support withher push and disruption withher engagement range when possible.

She is not that frail.

While keep away is a good option, and one she is more than adept at, the other limited is better for that. The comparison to Rasputina is a good one and I agree in all ways Reva is better.

Also another quick question... would this allow you to summon 2 corpse candles first turn?

Yes the Guises of Death upgrade would allow the summoning of Two Corpse Candles on turn 1. The first right after Initiative from the Upgrade and the other at the start of Reva's Activation if she chooses to discard a card. As I have said many times, Reva does not have a problem generating Corpse Markers to use as Nodes. Add in a Carrion Emissary and you can easily have three on Turn one.

One thing to note is that if you win initiative with Reva, there will often be more reason than usual to have your opponent deploy first. Terrain is always important to factor in, but having your opponent's models deployed first can really maximize zoning potential when you can pseudo-from the shadows a corpse candle. If a scheme runner is placed so as to go forward on the edge of the map, a corpse candle counter deployed to mitigate the runner's path can really damper those plans. Deploying first with Reva doesn't negate the advantage, but pre-emptive zoning is generally less efficient than reactive zoning.

Works against snipers too, provided you can move to them given their deployment. Alternatively, as Ht 2 models they can realistically block LoS from a sniper on deployment--not from Reva, but from a Vincent with from the shadows, a crooligan, etc.

The term gimmick generally has negative connotations, but in Malifaux the strongest crews have gimmicks that are not counter-able or very difficult to counter without pre-game knowledge, i.e. you can only mitigate the advantage. A good example would probably be the now cuddled ratjoy combo--even if you know it's coming, the counter play is very difficult or impossible with certain Masters. Master specific gimmicks that are strong in Malifaux's rule set would be Lilith, who breaks a lot of restrictions in melee, or the pre-cuddle Leveticus, who used efficient, high damage attacks with relative impunity. 

Reva's corpse candle deployment could be one of the stronger gimmicks, since it costs 1SS, not AP, to effect, and is literally not counter-able without using enemy model AP in some way--even deploying first, Reva creates a zone of control. This gimmick's "strength" will be based on whether Reva is still powerful once people get familiar with her. 

I have a question for all the Reva players out there. As i understand it life drain caps at 5 damage and does NOT heal Reva, and i've checked her card to verify this. So is my card misprinted? I have seen a few people post that she does in fact heal from this attack and on PMF it says that there is no cap to damage.

Logically due to its name it should heal, but it does not...

Maybe someone who played the closed beta versions of reva can chime in but i think some version of her could heal because of lifedrain. 
Would fit the fluff with her getting better while all those people died of consumption. The final veil fits that bill also though.

I played Reva for the first time last night.  Really fun!

It was collect the bounty so she sounded good w/ her shieldbearers, and I ran public demonstration and frame for murder (Anna Lovelace) against Lilith.

Archie spent a long time just being rooted by Lilith, but being able to rip your own upgrades off, focus, throw them at people, have them land as a corpse, and then have Reva murder them out of said corpse was ridiculously fun and entertaining theming too.  Also I dumped a stone turn 1 just attacking a Waldgeist for nothing so that I could give three shieldbearers fast; one ended up killing (albeit a framed) Nekima.

Bummed I didn't end up being able to order a box (so I was in proxy town,) but it made me look forward to getting the real models.  Except Archie, I love my Archie proxy.  :lol:

• Like 1

Had a couple games with Reva.

Shieldbearers are ridiculously cool. Really, two are autoinclude.

If you have ini first turn then deploy candle with Vince near enemy you wish to kill. Pop little helper, walk candle, sac for chain activation/card cycle, activate Vince, kill. If they want to retaliate there is a corpse marker on the way and waiting Reva in the backfield.

Nice write up. Thank you.

Another dirty trick, though potentially overkill, is to have Vince use MLH to cast his 0 twice, then Reva activates and uses her upgrade to push Vince and then use his 0 action again! That's 3 models that can't reduce or prevent damage until Vince activates again. You may not need that many models with the condition, but could be useful if facing a lot of constructs or a henchman heavy crew. Course you still have to have something to hit all those models with...

Nice write up. Thank you.

Another dirty trick, though potentially overkill, is to have Vince use MLH to cast his 0 twice, then Reva activates and uses her upgrade to push Vince and then use his 0 action again! That's 3 models that can't reduce or prevent damage until Vince activates again. You may not need that many models with the condition, but could be useful if facing a lot of constructs or a henchman heavy crew. Course you still have to have something to hit all those models with...

I imagine doing it three times would be more to insure you get it on your target rather than spread it around.  the fact you need the Ram *so SS, Corpse, or Card* means it is costly to seriously try and cast as often it will take two resource *A Higher Card plus something to get the Ram* as unless you have a 12+ of Ram it is not a safe bet.  It is why I would normally consider models like Sonnia, Ramos, and Raspy all bad targets as they should have Counterspell or Advance Counterspell to strip the Mask out of the action as well.  It just ups the cost and makes pulling it off more corner case.  If they are not taking the upgrades for these abilities when you announce Ressers then they have not been lured enough by Belles.

I imagine the trick works best with models with Wp6 or less and rely on stuff like Armor and SS to survive an assault.

Agreed.

For myself while I haven't gotten any games with her as of yet (I only use fully painted miniatures) I'm wondering how best to leverage her soft control. I'm wondering if it isn't a bad idea to take Decaying aura on her just because you know there will always be at least one model in the opposing crew that could be subjected to it (the enemy master), and if they can't prevent damage via SS use, whether it will help them be even more cautious of getting anywhere near a Corpse Marker, thus helping limit their vectors of operation.

I feel especially against metas where SS using beaters run rampant (Nekima) that the threat of attacks that can't be prevented could cause them to degrade the efficiency of their crew choices by a noticeable percentage.

Agreed.

For myself while I haven't gotten any games with her as of yet (I only use fully painted miniatures) I'm wondering how best to leverage her soft control. I'm wondering if it isn't a bad idea to take Decaying aura on her just because you know there will always be at least one model in the opposing crew that could be subjected to it (the enemy master), and if they can't prevent damage via SS use, whether it will help them be even more cautious of getting anywhere near a Corpse Marker, thus helping limit their vectors of operation.

I feel especially against metas where SS using beaters run rampant (Nekima) that the threat of attacks that can't be prevented could cause them to degrade the efficiency of their crew choices by a noticeable percentage.

I prefer Reva with Beyond Death, Maniacal Laugh, and Decaying Aura right now. I can see the use for Litany of the Fallen but i do not like that it limits me to declaring it as a trigger and only for Ethereal Reaping. That and i mainly face models that use alot of healing abilities so if i charge in i can prevent those. Decaying Aura lets me harass soulstone users, prevent healing, use other triggers, and i can use it in conjunction with Life Drain if i want.

Edited by TheJoyInGaming
Typo

I prefer Reva with Beyond Death, Maniacal Laugh, and Decaying Aura right now. I can see the use for Litany of the Fallen but i do not like that it limits me to declaring it as a trigger and only for Ethereal Reaping. That and i mainly face models that use alot of healing abilities so if i charge in i can prevent those. Decaying Aura lets me harass soulstone users, prevent healing, use other triggers, and i can use it in conjunction with Life Drain if i want.

Have you tried using Decaying Aura on Izamu and throwing him in with Reva, who treats him as a corpse that turn?  It sounded fun, but I'm not sure it works out in practice -- Reva needs to be fairly close to the fight if you're doing that, whereas you really just want to keep swinging at people with her AP.  (Or, at least, I did!)

Have you tried using Decaying Aura on Izamu and throwing him in with Reva, who treats him as a corpse that turn?  It sounded fun, but I'm not sure it works out in practice -- Reva needs to be fairly close to the fight if you're doing that, whereas you really just want to keep swinging at people with her AP.  (Or, at least, I did!)

I've had thought of using Blood Mark with Izamu alot. Unfortunately i don't currently own Izamu so those shenanigans are only theory for me at this point. I have taken Blood Mark with Beyond Death though and i feel the same way. Blood Mark seems to lose alot of appeal for me unless i have taken Guises.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone had any good ideas for a more spirit oriented crew. Every time i try to come up with one it seems to fall short in the theory stages. :(