10t model The one only you like and the one you hate others love

tadaka

I love Lust. If there is ever a question I have to fast in a game it is do I bring Lust or not. From her look to abilities to actions I am not sure there is another model that works so well for me. If you feel she has to much love then the second one is archers, I tend to play very brawly so the fact they shoot into engagements is very helpful.

The one I hate is Sensei Yu. People hold him up like he is made of gold and that he can do what ever but then fall back to using him generally to give focus or move schemes. Those these are powerful effects, just having them will not win you the game and makes him really dependent on what is around him to do that to. I played a game and told the guy he needed more combat models to deal with how fast I am, his response "well Sensei Yu can fight" mine back "Then why did he not?". The person prioritized the tricks Yu has and not what was useful for them to survive. I feel that Sensei Yu is on a pedestal, and that is very much a bad thing.

43 minutes ago, D_acolyte said:

I love Lust. If there is ever a question I have to fast in a game it is do I bring Lust or not. From her look to abilities to actions I am not sure there is another model that works so well for me. If you feel she has to much love then the second one is archers, I tend to play very brawly so the fact they shoot into engagements is very helpful.

The one I hate is Sensei Yu. People hold him up like he is made of gold and that he can do what ever but then fall back to using him generally to give focus or move schemes. Those these are powerful effects, just having them will not win you the game and makes him really dependent on what is around him to do that to. I played a game and told the guy he needed more combat models to deal with how fast I am, his response "well Sensei Yu can fight" mine back "Then why did he not?". The person prioritized the tricks Yu has and not what was useful for them to survive. I feel that Sensei Yu is on a pedestal, and that is very much a bad thing.

The Yu point is good, I've replaced him with Emissary in most lists.

I feel it's the other way around. A lot of people are subbing in the Emissary for him instead, while with lots of master I still prefer Yu. The Emissary is much more of a generalist while Yu is extremely good at what I take him for. Giving a push+fast is nice, but if you can only do it against friendly, non-leader models with an upgrade and it doesn't even touch markers it means you can't use it for even 10% of what I tend to use Yu for. And that's not even mentioning his copying a master's 0 action, which with some masters can be a real gamechanger. I guess people can use him wrong but he's pretty much the one model I can most rely on to win me games (save for leaders).

Yu is a model i just cant seam to do any thing with. His lack of charge kills it for me. 90% of time all i do is push a model a little bit and give it fast. I want to do more but getting focus and pushing all ways leaves him behind the crew for me. Then i got to walk him to get him in place. I do think he is amazing with shen but out side of his crew he is a bad use of stones for me.

What makes Yu stand out for me is how he can essentially increase a model's threat range by 10" (10"+their Wk if need be b/c fast), how he can "lure" people in whatever direction he likes (and occasionally give slow to boot), how he can make masters fast (what can I say, there isn't a master that doesn't go into overdrive if given extra AP), and how if he needs to he can always resort to some heavy marker fuckerry. And, of course, his 0, which boosts some masters to insane levels (The only ones who don't care for it at all are McCabe and Mei). And if you need to spend that turn to do a walk, you can still turn your focus from that push into an interact action. 

He's got a lot of utility though I'll admit it's largely positioning and board/threat control. Which plays a huge role in how at least I play.

• Like 1

... And, of course, his 0, which boosts some masters to insane levels (The only ones who don't care for it at all are McCabe and Mei)...

I recently started using Yu with a McCabe and a dawn serpent. It's mental! At least for turn 1! McCabe activates, black flash on DS, throw badge of speed to Yu, Yu activates, airbrush and mighty gust on DS, nimble, then throw BoS to DS. Yu is now 11" up the board and able to be useful turn 2, DS is 14" up the board, with essentially 7 AP to spend. Effective range from starting position: 58"!

I recently started using Yu with a McCabe and a dawn serpent. It's mental! At least for turn 1! McCabe activates, black flash on DS, throw badge of speed to Yu, Yu activates, airbrush and mighty gust on DS, nimble, then throw BoS to DS. Yu is now 11" up the board and able to be useful turn 2, DS is 14" up the board, with essentially 7 AP to spend. Effective range from starting position: 58"!

Oh, I've been able to use that to a sickening degree against a Resser crew, where they were still fairly bunched up together and the Dawn Serpent managed to blast them 4 times for I'd say about 30 damage turn 1? 

It's just that ultimately with McCabe's plentiful pushes and the Emissary's free upgrade Yu really falls behind a bit. He works, he just doesn't work as well as his countrpart. 

• Like 1

You can also do basically the same thing but with Izamu so you have a Fast, Nimble Izamu ~21" up the board. Can also give him Elixer of Life for regen +2 if your opponent wants to go on him.

I just ran a game with shenlong and yu with some thunder archers.

i took fuhatsu (first mistake) with the archer upgrade.  I think if you put the archer upgrade on Yu it'll be crazy.  I still killed most of the models that came near me, but due to Fuhatsu being super stationary, I wasn't able to get most of the scheme and strategy points.

with yu though, you can move around the board with a portable archer death platform.  Combine that with yu taking interact actions without AP, and a decent attack, i think it'll be effective.

I'd like to try it out sometime, however next game I've promised to either run a jorogumo alpha strike or ototo, so I don't know when I'll next get to try them out.

as to who is better, emissary or yu, I haven't played the emissary, but from the cards, I like being able to push anyone even if they don't have an upgrade, though the fast is pretty cool.  Why not run both?  That seems like the best option ;)

For the model i love i was going to say Samurai, but these days it seems that most people have cottoned on to how good they are so i guess he's out. 

So instead, I'm saying the Wastrel. I just love the cheap flexibility he offers and I've often paired one with a Samurai. 

Honorable mention goes to the Yokai. Yes, even as a hired model. I suspect people will eventually realise how crazy good they are though. ;)

As for the model i dislike yet everyone loves, it's undoubtedly Toshiro. I know he's a great model in game, but everything about him just rubs me the wrong way. I don't like his sculpt, and he plays in a way that's the direct opposite to how i like to play - bunching up and being a dirty god damn summoner!

...i took fuhatsu (first mistake) with the archer upgrade.  I think if you put the archer upgrade on Yu it'll be crazy...

I mentioned this in another post: put Blot the Sky on Shenlong. Deploy him no where near the archers, who are instead crowded round Yu. The first time you do it, your opponent will think you've made a mistake. Turn 1, Shenlong discards BtS to push the archers into position, and Yu can now pick up BtS in the correct position with promising disciple.

• Like 1

Ya every one keeps saying that post upgrade samurai are great. I just cant get them to do crap. The low will power kills them and if not wp screwed in one way or another, least in my local meta, some one all ways has model that ignores armor if they get close to combat they go down like a speed bump every time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just sticking to the models I have or would get, I love Ama No Zako, oh that lady does it for me! Giant oni that eats littles she finds about and a nice lantern to light the way on long dark nights - how considerate of her!

What I don't care for is Ototo. I like him, I do.... just not the perma-jumping pose.