What Guage Train?

Lizzy Lovecraft

I'm thinking of buying a train engine for terrain for the game.  What size fits most to 30mm models?  The G gauge looks too big, but the O gauge looks too small.  The other two I know (HO & N) are right out.  Anybody experiment with this, or know another gauge that fits better?  Admittedly, I've never collected trains, so I know very little.

First off a good reference for scale.

S scale is the closest, if you can find it since it is not a popular scale.  You can do it a lot cheaper.  The ik folks have been using holiday trains for ages.  They work since terrain is representative and just a part of an actual scale train will cover the majority of the board.  Another option that is cheaper is to use some of the MDF kits that are available such as this one.

For me cheaper that I can dress up is always better than completely accurate.  Hope that gives you some other options.

Snitchy sends

• Like 1

I actually brought a few of my Malifaux models to a local train store that is very well stocked (read as has multiple products for each train scale from micro to garden). Though the scale references state S gauge as the closest it really did look way too big when placed next to actual models. O scale is a bit small but visually looked closer than the S gauge stuff and tends to fit better with most purchasable miniatures terrain. The only exception would be when placed next to the plastcraft Malifaux Train Station which is closer in scale to S than O gauge (though again realistically speaking a train station is usually a bit larger than the train stock which travels in front of it). Cost and difficulty in locating S gauge is a major factor as well. O gauge is probably the most popular gauge (at least in the U.S.) with the widest selection of product and is usually much cheaper than S gauge. If you go to a model train store you might even be able to get damaged or separated O gauge cars cheaply.

On 07/08/2016 at 4:14 AM, Lizzy Lovecraft said:

My bank account does not thank you for that link to Sarissa Precisions, Snitchy. :D  They've got so many things I want!

They are nice but very dear on the wallet.  Nothing to do with your trains request but another couple of laser cut MDF manufactures are 4 Ground and war bases.  I have ordered form all three and they are all pretty good in their own way.  You just have to find what you want at a price you are willing to pay.

Good luck with the train.

Snitchy sends.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...