Marvel Universe Miniatures Game

At first I was only looking at this game for the models but having played it a few times now I'm really enjoying it.

As is my tendency when buying anything new I've taken pictures of everything in order to do some unboxing features. So far I have the starter sets for both the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants which are both affiliated with the X-Men. Basically you can take any model from a particular faction (so far this is limited to the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and the X-Men) and each model is either a hero, villain or neutral. Neutral models can work with either villains or heroes from the faction they're affiliated to but villains and heroes can't mix...obviously. Certain models do have more than one affiliation though...

So far I have done features on The X-Men starter...
http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/unboxing-knight-models-x-men.html

Marvel%2BUniverse%2BMiniatures%2BGame%2B

The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants set...

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/marvel-universe-miniatures-game_30.html

Knight%2BModels%2B-%2BBrotherhood%2Bof%2

I've also covered a few of the individual models...including the Iron Man Hulkbuster suit...
http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/marvel-universe-miniatures-game-iron.html

Knight%2BModels%2B-%2BIron%2BMan%2BHulkb

As well as Sabretooth...

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/marvel-universe-miniatures-game_29.html

Knight%2BModels%2B-%2BSabretooth%2B-%2BB

Rather than keep creating new threads which will no doubt begin to get on peoples nerves I'll just add any future features to this one...

• Like 2

The Detail is fine. But the casting quality is an Issue some times. Though they are getting better... Or their quality control is.

Either way. With a bit of work they will look great. I painted mine just recently. I hope it is fine if I post them here. Otherwise I can take the picture out again.

25530245cc.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Critical Twits said:

I've been looking at this, the X-men are calling me. How does it play?

Plays well. It's quick and fairly cinematic in tone as well as being simple to pick up ruleswise.

You can download the pdf rules for free at the following link...

http://knightmodels-store.com/WebRoot/Store19/Shops/afaa2a23-c31d-4ae6-b1cd-12757513fd3b/5786/5A10/6163/74B6/C341/0A48/3548/4E24/MUMG_Rulebook_.pdf

The currently available models for each faction and a brief overview of how force selection works can be found at the next link...

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.co.uk/p/marvel-universe-miniatures-game.html

• Like 1

That's really useful, thank you! I can already see a couple of things I'd like to do, money and potential opponents permitting. Rules do look fairly quick and easy, which given that a 50ss game of Malifaux is taking my group upwards of 4 hours to play at the moment might just be a good thing.

Love the website btw, I've ended up there checking out Malifaux stuff more than once. Keep up the good work, and thanks again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Critical Twits said:

I've been looking at this, the X-men are calling me. How does it play?

I've played it a couple times and thus far it hasn't really wowed me, but I've felt like the tools are there to make something of it.  It's hard to gauge my internal bias on this one though, because for every part of me that wants to really love it, there's another desperately afraid I'd be unable to stop myself from buying the entire line.

I'm not sure why the game hasn't really clicked with me, but I guess I just wasn't overly compelled by the choices available when I activate models.  The game is loaded with cool things you can do and that can happen; fastball specials, knockbacks, terrain explosions and the like, but character activations themselves felt rather limited to me.  You get a lot of resources to manage but things are generally also very expensive, so for the most part I felt like it was a very clunky way of letting characters get a single move and attack each turn.  Compared to a model activation in Malifaux or Guild Ball, I just didn't get that sense of options, despite the cards looking like there should be quite a few of them.  By virtue of the turn structure I feel there's a tendency for an early activated model to get piled on and focus fired down.  This isn't really something unique to this game, but when every model on the board is so iconic it feels odd.

That said, the game is very young and the system is robust enough to really shine as it grows and more options are available (I've literally only played with the starters).  I think in particular if it gets some well crafted objectives and guidelines for how to best include terrain, there's lots of potential for a real winner.  As is.... I'm still sorely tempted to give it another go... or 5.

• Like 1

Thanks LunarSol, that's really interesting. When you say there's loads of cool things that can happen but the options are limited, is it because there are a limited few things that are optimum, or the cool stuff just never gets a chance to happen?

I'm with you on wanting to buy all the models, my inner 12 year old wanted X-Men models so bad back in the day, I feel like I'm betraying him by not buying them immediately!

Mostly its just a sense that in most turns, there's really only one way to manage my resources.  A model generates a set amount of Energy each turn.  There are things that can affect this, but there's no allocation across your force or general benefit for saving any of it from the previous turn.  You get X Energy and when you activate you more or less use it or lose it.

On your actual turn, you spend Energy for everything.  You spend different amounts to move different speeds (generally 1 for a walk, 2 for a fast walk, 3 for flyers to really move), you can spend one to bump up to one to bump one of your defensive stats (having reread the rules since then, I may have been taught this wrong) and the rest take take whatever actions you want, which you can spend more to boost the accuracy on or to pay for extra effects.  

It sounds like a lot of choices, but generally a character's actions and usage limits on those actions are such that you end up doing the same thing every turn.  I never felt like Thor could really do anything other than move a bit, throw his hammer with a boost (which from what I could tell damages him if he uses it in melee?) and bump a defensive stat, for example.  Choosing not to do some of those actions didn't provide resources to be spent on other abilities.  In part, that's because the dice curve feels like its in a weird spot where not boosting feels unlikely to succeed and boosting feels unlikely to fail (2D8 often needing above average 10); plus you generally get notable bonuses for boosting that are often the most important part of the action.  There's also no variance in damage, which means nothing truly explosive ever happens and more a sense of chipping away, which is probably a part of the sense of doing the same thing over and over.

I just never felt particularly engaged with the combat engine the way I have with other games.  Often I felt like characters did one thing, then their turn was over and if the dice failed, their turn was just over.  Compared to something like a fully loaded heavy in Warmachine or Influence filled player in Guild Ball or even a Malifaux charge, I just didn't feel like aggressive plays and big rewards nor have I felt like I've seen a point where something clever really turns the tide of a game.  Like, I've had Thor slam Colossus into a car and blow it up catching Cyclops in the blast, but it didn't really significantly alter the game the way that sounds like it should.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply - I can really picture it now. It does seem like I wouldn't enjoy it much, as I like to push my luck/try crazy things in the hope of pulling off something improbable but amazing.

I think I'll probably proxy some models and give it a go rather than just diving in (which is incredibly cautious for me, I started Malifaux by buying two crews, the rules and two decks just because I liked the look of things!). Do you know if the cards are available anywhere? I noticed they weren't in the pdf rules.

Thanks again!

Wow this one really crit'ed my wallet...   I love skirmish miniature games and have loved Marvel comics since I was 8 or so.  So this is pretty big win for me.  Plus I found out my LGS' main distributor has it so he can get it pretty quickly.

I think it's a good thing I have a part time job on top my normal job... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, yipiyip said:

I like the 360 gifs at the end. Is that a trend you'll adopt on your Malifaux unboxings as well? I can hope.

I'd like to. These are kinda my practice run for seeing if I can make them work. It's easier with some models than others though...