Malifaux in the UK - Are we doomed?

Slightly apocalyptic  title I know, but thinking ahead of the upcoming Gencon releases, and other stuffs in general, I've been thinking that the current exchange rate really isn't going to help us brits compared to dfays gone by. 

a $60 box set is now pushing £45-48 depending on the exact exchange rate. Is this too much or is it now fairly priced?

Just wanted to gauge opinions really.

And i know other nations exchange rates have been harsh (Australia I recall) but has that actually hindered the growth of the game in those countries compared to other systems. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mutter said:

You'll be waiting A LONG time on all those Nightmare crews, though.

Not sure if I have the patience till hell freezes over. ;)

If you are in it for the nightmare box then this question is more does having the nightmare box really matter to you, if yes then you have already answer weather you should place an order or not.

• Like 1

I dunno, Malifaux's a really weird one - Its a game where you only run a small crew, however you really need more models than a small crew to change around depending on the scheme - Which seems like its pro of it being a skirmish game with a low model count is at odds with itself.

Do I think another 70p on a £6 model is going to stop me from buying it? No, because I know how fun the game is. Will it stop a brand new player? That's the question....

And yeah, I know you don't need an entire faction worth of models to be competitive, but theres literally zero downside to having a larger pool of models and a potential disadvantage every time if you don't - Although due to the tight balance its not as harsh as it would be in other games.

Re: Gen-Con - There is a guy on the forums who says he can get items vat free, split the shipping and then post them out when they arrive - So that's awesome that people in our community offer to do that :)

20 hours ago, Mutter said:

Well, situated in Germany, but I think postage and customs is usually much worse than a slightly unfavorable exchange rate.

Wyrd REALLY needs a distributor in Europe offering similar deals for us geographically challenged ...

Give this man a beer! In my Malifaux league people are excited with all the new toys for the GenCon, but the threat of the insane custom charges (at least in Spain) it's making people reconsidering if they should order or wait a few months (and forgetting about the nightmare edition). 

4 hours ago, Chou said:

Give this man a beer! In my Malifaux league people are excited with all the new toys for the GenCon, but the threat of the insane custom charges (at least in Spain) it's making people reconsidering if they should order or wait a few months (and forgetting about the nightmare edition). 

I don't disagree, but at the same time it could've been worse. I tried to visit a lgs to buy a crew box set a few years back, and it ended up at about $70 for a Bayou Boss set. $95 for a nightmare edition isn't that bad in comparison. Since that one time I all my non-GenCon/Black Friday/Easter stuff from shops in the UK where prices are morr sensible. With a little luck a decreasing Sterling value might offset shipping in the near future...

I buy all my stuff from UK webshops, they are significantly cheaper than Swedish webshops. They also have much lower postage (both actual costs and minimum spend for free postage for the stores that have that). Don't have any physical stores close by, but whenever I have checked one while travelling they are even more expensive. So you guys need stop this brexit malarkey, ok? :(

As for ordering directly from the US. If the value is over ~$200 there is customs, don't know how high it is, but probably 5-10%. Then, regardless of value, we add 25% taxes to the total value including postage, then another ~$15 handling fee. Now I haven't order anything from the US in like 10 years, but I did it semi-regularly for a while back when Amazon.com was much cheaper than their European store fronts and customs only caught a few packages then. I don't know if they are more or less vigilant these days, but you have to plan for the worst...

I'm in New Zealand and our dollar has always been pretty crap for importing stuff (although it did improve after the GFC since our economy wasn't as pants as most of the world). While it's true that having more than one master is preferable, Malifaux is still insanely cheap to get going compared to a lot of games out there. I paid $75 NZD for my first box set and with the free pdf rules and a pack of cards you could realistically get up and going for that.

On the plus side with the GBP crashing I was able to jump online and pick up the M&SU crew for the equivalent of $40 NZD, so I am happy.

• Like 3

As an Australian got to say that exchange rates hurt but not nearly as much as shipping rates (and here at least Wyrd has consistently offered different cost/time options unlike so many other online retailers).  I pretty much exclusively wait to make my Wyrd orders for the tri-annual (Easter, GenCon & Black Friday-Wyrd Birthday) sales, I like the specials more often than not and with a good bulk buy of stuff I really want I eat the shipping costs which usually aren't prohibitive on a single larger order (as a percentage of total).

Still it gets a little worse each year and I remain grateful that Wyrd puts in a little effort to provide at least some semblance of a cheaper shipping option.

Ultimately this is the curse of the global internet, an Australian supplier would unlikely maintain the shear quantity of orders demanded to enable it to remain price competitive with much higher turn over US based operations and Wyrd cannot really be expected to subsidize overseas markets at a significant loss (think employees, rental, dead stock, utilities, and every other cost entailed).  In particular given that a regional supplier in one area would be met with equally valid requests from others, so UK I feel your pain but equally understand our down Aus-NZ way and then we have to consider parts of Asia, Sth America, Africa, regions of mainland Europe, potentially even China, Russia, India, Japan everyone of these areas feels the burn of shipping times and costs and currency conversions (often with jolly surcharges included).

It sucks but then I play fantasy games expressly because sometimes reality sucks and I need the escape :mellow:  

Wyrd as long as you at least make an effort to have reasonable shipping and the pricing is reflective of currency fluctuations and import/export costs I'm behind you as much as I can afford.

Given that I've seen lazy single most expensive shipping estimation costs and very heavy regional price adjustment on behalf of other games companies I currently embrace and support Wyrd's efforts.

In my experience over several years I've got my little plastic horror toys in a reasonable time frame, with equitable post currency conversion prices and at a shipping cost I can justify.  The potential costs incurred by going crazy during the Wyrd tri-sale events as opposed to waiting out and hunting bargains online or locally is my choice to enjoy the bonus items without paying secondary market premium.

:+fate:pulse:+fate   

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

There is a proper UK distributor,  Simple. They bring in tons of product. 

Apologies! It doesn't feel like it quite often, sadly - things are often delayed or go out of stock here for long periods of time. I remember waiting two months past the release date for my starter set last year - I had it pre-ordered for ages and nowhere seemed able to get it in. Not meaning to knock anyone, I'm sure there's all kinds of reasons, I'm just an impatient man who loves his toys too much.

Still, it's good to know that as my country commits economic suicide and leaves the EU, my Malifaux supply won't dry up! Now I just need to worry about food and fuel...

• Like 1