Jump to content
Morgan Vening

Wyrd Chronicles Order (beyond the obvious)

Recommended Posts

Yes, the obvious answer is start at 1, and go in order. :D

What I'm meaning, is how they interrelate to the books. I've just pulled all my 1/1.5 books out, and was looking to read through all the fiction, from the first, all the way through to Shifting Loyalties, in anticipation of the next one. And I just got all the WC's off of DriveThru. But I'm curious as to where they fit in to the chronology of the books. So, does anyone have a good list of which Chronicles to intersperse between which books?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost all Chronicle stories are freestanding. That said, Til Gran Kythera Dow (#3) is a prologue to 1st ed book 1. A couple of stories give origins so are set before those characters first appear in the main stories, Seamus Crashes a Funeral (Molly, #2), Dear Kristen (Howard Langston, #3), Law of Lazarus (Lazarus, #9), Broken Creatures (Bishop and Barbaros, #12). A couple of others refer to things like the Governor General so are set before Shifting Loyalties but it's pretty vague.

If I were to cram I'd read them roughly in publication order, the M2E books are published in August of their respective years and Chronicles are published on even months from issue 4.

  • 1-3 (these were published in 2008-2009)
  • all 1st ed books
  • 4-6 (starts up again in Feb 2013)
  • M2E Rulebook
  • 7-12
  • Crossroads
  • 13-18
  • Shifting Loyalties
  • 19-24
  • Rippling Fates
  • 25- and so on
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To understand what is going on do you have to read the 1st edition books?  Is that fluff rehashed in the M2E books or does M2E actually continue the story line?  

So far I am enjoying the rules and new models and such but I find reading the fluff to be a very difficult exercise.  Stories are so spread out and everywhere it is pretty hard to follow.

Should I be OK just starting at M2E Core in the listing you gave?  I am just having a difficult time as I am used to a specific sort of layout to books.  Almost all the other minis games I play have books where the story / fluff is in the start of the book then there is the rules or models.  Here it depends on the book.  Core has Story then rules then story then models then story then models and so on but Crossroads is Faction story then encounter then story then maybe encounter then models or Shifting Loyalties where there is Rules then faction story then models then timeline continuation story at the end then RoF is Story then encounter then faction timeline continuation (vignettes, which are awesome) then models repeated and a story in the end of the book.  No consistency and now you say I really should go and download all the Chronicles (well 7-26) to get the whole story.  Man this is confusing.  Wish there was a source that could at least do the Vignettes approach like in Ripples of Fate.  That is the perfect cliff notes of what has happened since the last book.  Be nice to have one of those at the bare minimum between each book.  Thanks for the listing though that really helps as a start point.

On 7/20/2016 at 2:49 AM, Bengt said:
  • 1-3 (these were published in 2008-2009)
  • all 1st ed books
  • 4-6 (starts up again in Feb 2013)
  • M2E Rulebook
  • 7-12
  • Crossroads
  • 13-18
  • Shifting Loyalties
  • 19-24
  • Rippling Fates
  • 25- and so on

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lordunborn said:

To understand what is going on do you have to read the 1st edition books?  Is that fluff rehashed in the M2E books or does M2E actually continue the story line?  

The M2E books continue the story line.  If you like audio books, the Breachside Broadcast podcast is Wyrd going through all of the 1st edition stories in podcast/audiobook format.

50 minutes ago, Lordunborn said:

So far I am enjoying the rules and new models and such but I find reading the fluff to be a very difficult exercise.  Stories are so spread out and everywhere it is pretty hard to follow.

Should I be OK just starting at M2E Core in the listing you gave?  I am just having a difficult time as I am used to a specific sort of layout to books.  Almost all the other minis games I play have books where the story / fluff is in the start of the book then there is the rules or models.  Here it depends on the book.  Core has Story then rules then story then models then story then models and so on but Crossroads is Faction story then encounter then story then maybe encounter then models or Shifting Loyalties where there is Rules then faction story then models then timeline continuation story at the end then RoF is Story then encounter then faction timeline continuation (vignettes, which are awesome) then models repeated and a story in the end of the book.  No consistency and now you say I really should go and download all the Chronicles (well 7-26) to get the whole story.  Man this is confusing.  Wish there was a source that could at least do the Vignettes approach like in Ripples of Fate.  That is the perfect cliff notes of what has happened since the last book.  Be nice to have one of those at the bare minimum between each book.  Thanks for the listing though that really helps as a start point.

 

As far as the story organization goes, Privateer Press does (or did for the first two editions of Warmachine/Hordes) the same thing that Wyrd does, and Corvus Belli does something similar.

What companies are you using for your frame of reference?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Games Workshop had (at least in some editions) all the stories in one place in the rulebook (meaning that the corresponding A5 rules only books could have the same page numbers, which to me is the only concrete benefit of the practice). In the codex/army books it was generally more spread out as far as I can remember. But it do seem fairly common to intersperse stories and rules, Hawk does it as well for Dropzone and Dropfleet.

---

To get back to Malifaux, as I noted in my previous post very few of the Chronicles stories are part of the main story line so you can read them whenever/never and still understand the main story. But to get the main story I do recommend starting with the 1st edition books (they are $7 each digital) or the Tales of Malifaux podcast (which is free), as several stories in the M2E books doesn't make all that much sense if you are not aware of the old stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×