S.o.S - The Sow

Blacks85

8 hours ago, Blacks85 said:

So, I've followed your ideas and keep trying the big pig!

Just a quick tale....

Yesterday night I've applied two Swill :-fate:-fate to Nekima and then charged her straight away with a very proud :+fate "The Sow" :D. She was half wounded...but I was able to MISS both attacks and - holy moly - being killed in response! :D:D Nekima passed the terror with incredible "skill" and then...she hit the third attack and flip a cool red joker on the damages....kabooooom :o

Are these gods trying to tell me "leave your pig in the bag"? Because I suppose so :D

P.s. I still find it - despite this insane situation - pretty hard to use because in order to don't make it an easy killable target...you have to play it defilate and can't really charge or hit a lot with it.

Do your opponent let him charge then straight away? Because mine, don't :(Unless I out-activate them...making it bad with Brewy and good with Som'er / Ulix.

54 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

This is a very good idea.

The problem with it, even if you out-activate... you often don't have a charge line, but if you also move it twice the charge is almost sure!

Thanks

I think your problem with the Sow's performance has less to do with the model and more to do with trying to force it into a sub-optimal lists. The Sow (like all the Pigs) wants her support models to be most effective. This means not just a conducive Master like Som'er or Ulix but also Hog Whisperer's or Taxidermists. The Brew Master doesn't do a whole lot for any of the pigs and to be fair they don't do a whole lot for him either. Add in those support pieces and I think you will find them much better in terms of mobility, durability, and offense.

About the only pig that might be considered "self sufficient" is Gracie and even that is arguable given how much better she gets with support.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

I think your problem with the Sow's performance has less to do with the model and more to do with trying to force it into a sub-optimal lists. The Sow (like all the Pigs) wants her support models to be most effective. This means not just a conducive Master like Som'er or Ulix but also Hog Whisperer's or Taxidermists. The Brew Master doesn't do a whole lot for any of the pigs and to be fair they don't do a whole lot for him either. Add in those support pieces and I think you will find them much better in terms of mobility, durability, and offense.

About the only pig that might be considered "self sufficient" is Gracie and even that is arguable given how much better she gets with support.

You are right! Unfortunately, I'm less than 2 months old with gremlin and I'm trying to test more models possible...and I can't do effective list all the times.

I need to put random things together and try the most every game. Surely, I will use less synergies and I won't be able to evaluate models at their best...but likely at their average to worst.

Still, it gives you an idea on how model does because - imo - even if you do a full synergic team the models must be capable of doing something on its own (mostly if they cost 8) or you will find yourself with something useless when things go wrong!

Next time I'll do the crew around pigs and see what happen ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blacks85 said:

You are right! Unfortunately, I'm less than 2 months old with gremlin and I'm trying to test more models possible...and I can't do effective list all the times.

I need to put random things together and try the most every game. Surely, I will use less synergies and I won't be able to evaluate models at their best...but likely at their average to worst.

Still, it gives you an idea on how model does because - imo - even if you do a full synergic team the models must be capable of doing something on its own (mostly if they cost 8) or you will find yourself with something useless when things go wrong!

Next time I'll do the crew around pigs and see what happen ;)

The problem with what your doing is that you're not giving models fair chance (I did the same when I started in Neverborn), so it makes them seem like they underperform.  When I started Gremlins back in January, I played each master 3 games in a row, forced myself to take their entire crew box to give the models fair chance, and then hired outside of the box for the remaining stones.  Sometimes you put your master into a strategy they aren't great with, or their crew box into schemes they're not good for, but it gives you a better feel for the crew and master and what they can and cannot do.

In 3 games, you're at least better likely to get situations where the master and crew will fail, as well as situations where they'll shine so you can get a good idea overall.

• Like 3

Yesterday the poor Sow blown up a Molly during 1st turn.

I've made - for the first time - a serious crew and The reactivate from "Hog" combined with push from Penelope...make it charging beside a Old Major with a :+fate:+fate Molly. That wasn't a happy time for my opponent...

After much more games with it, I think "The Sow" is a model that has a tremendous DMG potential but you have to spend much SS to build synergies around it. On its own, it doesn't worth the price it costs...instead, with some support - and mostly with out-activation - could definitively be a beast.

Thanks for all feedback and tips :D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I love the sow but she is a glass cannon.....against a mates one the other night he got her into a pile of my guys and the punk zombie quickly killed her off...in my game with Ulix I managed to get her up into some orderlies faces then due to terrifying survived an attempted lobotomy due to terrifying tests failed....she paralysed everyone in contact with her and managed to gobble up Dr Grimwell.....so she is hit or miss.....she does need Ulix or Somer and other pigs around her....also your opponent will always fear her for her potential....use that to your advantage

• Like 1

On 9/1/2016 at 2:55 PM, Morgy said:

I love the sow but she is a glass cannon.....against a mates one the other night he got her into a pile of my guys and the punk zombie quickly killed her off...in my game with Ulix I managed to get her up into some orderlies faces then due to terrifying survived an attempted lobotomy due to terrifying tests failed....she paralysed everyone in contact with her and managed to gobble up Dr Grimwell.....so she is hit or miss.....she does need Ulix or Somer and other pigs around her....also your opponent will always fear her for her potential....use that to your advantage

Only played with The Sow 3 times now (over the course of a tourny), and ^^ this.  

First game, she charged from beside Old Major, into Hannah, killing her outright in that one charge.

Second game, she made a late charge into a Void Wretch and killed it, got reactivated by a Hog Whisperer, and then walked in and killed a damaged Rusty Alyce.

Third game, she got pounced on by Howard Langston, failed her Horror test when trying to attack back and got Paralysed, and then died.  Her Piglet-spawn took a VP for me tho.  And she was out in the middle of nowhere, with no support.

So yeah, she is a glass cannon (or, high risk - high reward), but hey - we're Gremlins!  It's Bayou or Bust!!

EDIT:  Took The Sow along for the Divergent Paths encounter "Chaos Unleashed", and she did good things.  It's true, starting in Blind Deployment kinda helped out with that, but she harassed Perdita for a couple of rounds before killing her at the top of the 3rd, killed the Enslaved Nephilim while she was at it, and nailed a Death Marshall in the 4th.  Then again, I think my opponent kinda made the mistake of just leaving her alone and letting her get away with all that...  ;-)

• Like 3

Third game, she got pounced on by Howard Langston, failed her Horror test when trying to attack back and got Paralysed, and then died.  Her Piglet-spawn took a VP for me tho.  And she was out in the middle of nowhere, with no support.

To be fair, she was asking for it. She was in an asylum of all places, so it's only fitting that she failed her Horror test. I was surprised Langston himself didn't fail his test...

For what it's worth, it's always a crazy game when we play in the asylum.

Glad to hear she did so well against the other players in that event though :)

• Like 1

To be fair, she was asking for it. She was in an asylum of all places, so it's only fitting that she failed her Horror test. I was surprised Langston himself didn't fail his test...

For what it's worth, it's always a crazy game when we play in the asylum.

Glad to hear she did so well against the other players in that event though :)

She really did. I had no business being inside the Asylum like that. Pigs, and smelly Gator-lovin' white trash swamp+ men ain't be crazy!!

Generally I recommend against throwing models into combats with multiple opponents. These almost always go badly. I also recommend against throwing your beaters into these situations early in the turn, particularly in Gremlins where it is easier to out activate or late activate your key models. Durability only goes so far when you are in a sub-optimal situation.

Putting reactivate on her (or a Warpig) and waiting until the late turn to have her head in is a much more consistent path to devastation. She is safer when she doesn't have to worry about eating counter attacks until the next turn, when hopefully she has whittled down the opposing horde (add in an initiative win and she might just be able to even the odds).