Emissary - Lend me your experiences

Kobayashi

So, I caved in an preordered the Emissary, because yeah.

Though with money constraints I still have the Wong / Ophelia and Brewmaster Box

So any tipps and how to play for the Emissary. Give me your dirtiest tactics.

I have also a list of curently available (and upcoming models) to use in my Gremlin force (besides the boxes mentioned above):

• Bayou Gremlins
• Limited Edition - Bayou Gremlin (Alt Sculpt)
• Burt Jebsen
• Gracie
• McTavish
• Merris LaCroix
• Old Cranky
• Rooster Riders
• Sammy LaCroix
• Slop Haulers
• Sparks
• Whiskey Golem

I've tried him only couple of times, so it's work in progress but:

• Very nice beater. Not high damage output for Gremlins, but 3" engage makes him pretty good.
  • Very hard to kill. Df6, Armor1, HTK? If you save cards for him, they can't kill it.
  • Versatile. The CA to put slow on other people allows you to push, hit someone and ensure a model behind can't charge you back in response.
  • (0) Destined. Not really a game swing, because it's random. You can't count on it...but when it occurs it may help you in a unpredictable way.

Then I've tried him with

• Ophelia. Not a big deal, you probably don't need it because you have plenty of beaters in Gremlin...however it's (0) upg is not bad with Ophelia
  • Mah Tucket. Total surprise, pretty useless on the paper...devastating on the field. I thought it was something quite un-effective but - keeping a low ram in hand for initiative-discard while you build a Melee crew - it makes all the difference, but a very very big difference. Together with mah-tucket pushes, it gives some real sense to the combo.
  • Zoraida. Incredibly powerful, the best combo imo. You can summon doll and paralyze with only 1 AP and the (0) upgrade is incredible. 
  • Pigs, small and big. It has a good synergy with them as well because they throw slow around...and you can easily paralyze the target afterwards with the CA6 action...without even the gun!

For these first games...I pretty happy with it! 

23 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Anything Brewmaster and Wong? Any experiences? I thought Wong is so beloved... :s

At a first sight, I don't think it makes any sense with brewmaster.

You try to build a bubble and work to "hang" people with poison too.
It doesn't help you in either way...he's just a beater. The extra "sad-sad" swill doesn't seem to be good.

With wong looks better because having blast at +1 DMG is consistent.
You can throw the emissary in the brawl being very resistent...and shoot with wong into the melee with a very destructive dmg output.

Still probably the two worst master to which use the emissary with :D

but only theoretical impressions !

Honestly I dont think he makes much sense with any of our crews. He seems really at odds with himself, i.e. small area support abilities on a model that wants to be really mobile and not tied down. As a beater he might be alright but I think there are cheaper options that also do it better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

Honestly I dont think he makes much sense with any of our crews. He seems really at odds with himself, i.e. small area support abilities on a model that wants to be really mobile and not tied down. As a beater he might be alright but I think there are cheaper options that also do it better.

But... but... but he Looks so nice ;__;

15 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

I tend to agree with you but:

• It's much more durable than gremlin dmg dealer, even if the output is lower. You can throw it into the brawl pretty serenely
  • It has 3" engage...which is almost unique in gremlin
  • It has a utility of throwing slow/paralyze which - after 2 games - resulted to be nice
  • It's amazing with zoraida and Mah (Yeah...with mah, lol)

But you are absolutely right saying that has no sinergies with other models

25 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

I tend to agree with you but:

• It has a utility of throwing slow/paralyze which - after 2 games - resulted to be nice

But you are absolutely right saying that has no sinergies with other models

How easy is it to give out paralyze, because if I recall Mancha correctly, he can insta gib a paralyzed model.

I don't have the card in front of me but I was planning on bringing the Emissary with Mah alongside Mancha Roja. Being able to have additional instances of slow or paralyzed can be crucial on a big turn. In general Gremlins don't seem to have a lot of sources to hand out Slow, especially at range. The Emissary also looks to be really good with Somer. Positive Flips on Bayou Two-Card seems really strong!

I really like the Emissary with Somer for some strats. It can act as another central model to the crew which means you can spread out more but still get buffs to bayou gremlins. The slow and paralyzed are good with Zoraida as well as they are extra ways to lock down enemies with the doll. The other models who work well with this are piglets as they can slow models and then you can paralyze them with the emissary.

I want to try the emissary with Wong as it will be a good glowly target and makes the pigapult even more dangerous in a Wong crew as well as boosting Wongs attack with the +1 damage to :blast

23 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

How easy is it to give out paralyze, because if I recall Mancha correctly, he can insta gib a paralyzed model.

CA 6 vs Wp with 10 Range, no gun.

Pretty easy.

Yep, Mancha can eat paralyzed guys with 1 hit...no condition or test, just gone.

@PositronMike + @SaintScythus Don't have no Mah and don't have no Pig-a-Pult, can you gice me more intel about them in the combination you just mentioned?

26 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

CA 6 vs Wp with 10 Range, no gun.

Pretty easy.

Oh... *snickers* instagibs, instagibs everywhere!

26 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

Yep, Mancha can eat paralyzed guys with 1 hit...no condition or test, just gone.

So... paralyze an already activated model and instagib it with Mancha. Sounds easy... on paper...

5 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

But... but... but he Looks so nice ;__;

While I agree that it looks wonderful as far as Emissary's go (not to mention that high cost) it leaves a bit to be desired.

4 hours ago, Blacks85 said:
  • It's much more durable than gremlin dmg dealer, even if the output is lower. You can throw it into the brawl pretty serenely

I don't know if it is any more durable than Gracie. For the same cost I think she is quite a bit better in a lot of ways.

3 hours ago, SaintScythus said:

The Emissary also looks to be really good with Somer. Positive Flips on Bayou Two-Card seems really strong!

It does seem strong but is an example of the counter design I mentioned. Benefiting from the aura is likely to inhibit its mobility.

2 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I'm not sure I'd take the emmissary just for mancha roja paralyse tricks - a nurse can paralyse with the same stats and only 1ap, andhas accomplice so you can instantly follow up.

However this is only possible if playing Zoraida. You could run the emissary and Mancha with any master however I agree this is probable a waste of resources.

I like the emissary with Somer when there is a hold area scheme as the fact that you want it near other models means you are not using its mobility to the full. However with Somer it does seem to want to be in combat holding up enemy models while buffing friendlies.

I couldn't fit it into any of my Ulix crews as usually I am taking large based pigs to summon off and dropping one for the emissary doesn't seem a great trade. It does have synergy with piglets but Somer and Lenny can both summon these in and Somer or Skeeters can provide :tome from do it like dis to get the slow trigger off to allow the emissary to paralyze models. The :tome also help with the triggers on it was your fate to be trampled as well.

Not played Mah yet but I could see it working depending on the terrain and type of crew you are running. I don't like the emissary at all with Ophelia as I don't tend to run her kin heavy and to fit it in I would have to drop Lenny most likely which reduces Ophelia's effectiveness quite a bit. Stupefied would be better if it was a longer range.

9 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I'm not sure I'd take the emmissary just for mancha roja paralyse tricks - a nurse can paralyse with the same stats and only 1ap, andhas accomplice so you can instantly follow up.

But how am I supposed to hire a nurse in a Wong, Ophelia or Brewmaster Crew? How?

15 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

I don't know if it is any more durable than Gracie. For the same cost I think she is quite a bit better in a lot of ways.

It does seem strong but is an example of the counter design I mentioned. Benefiting from the aura is likely to inhibit its mobility.

It's definitively a counter design, no sense imo.

Anyway, do you really prefer gracie? It's a model I haven't understood yet. Mv4...is not that exciting imo, while she can get reactivate.

Assuming she has not a :ram built-in (or do you run her only with lenny / somer?) she has roughly the same damage of Emissary, same durable but Emissary is much more mobile and has a 3" range. Moreover, it has a built-in usable (0) for the master and a Slow/Paralyze CA that is usually useful.

Why do you prefer Gracie?

ps. Oh wait, the emissary isn't a Gremlin? duh... :(

6 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

But how am I supposed to hire a nurse in a Wong, Ophelia or Brewmaster Crew? How?

I don't think it's worth building a crew around the trick if I'm honest, so I'd only really think about doing it if I'm playing Zoraida and bringing a Nurse in the first place (because of course I'm bringing a Nurse).

Maybe if you incidentally have the Emmissary and Mancha Roja but that's a massive investment and not one I see myself taking in most games.

Just now, Dogmantra said:

I don't think it's worth building a crew around the trick if I'm honest, so I'd only really think about doing it if I'm playing Zoraida and bringing a Nurse in the first place (because of course I'm bringing a Nurse).

Maybe if you incidentally have the Emmissary and Mancha Roja but that's a massive investment and not one I see myself taking in most games.

It's just... the design really grew on me and I really want to make it work (with the things given)... and now I look out for nice stuff to do with it... Given yes the Mancha Combo sounds nice, but I am also Aware that there is a lot of investment and a half decent Opponent is going to see the trap spring a mile ahead (and defuses it)...

*sigh*

@Kobayashi

I'm buying the Emissary because I think it's a lot better in play than on paper. I also love the model and I think it has solid synergy in Mah or Wong crews. Don't worry about what people on a forum say or suggest do what you enjoy!

I must confess I might have bought a Som'er & Peaches avatar today, and so have been looking at the Emissary more closely. Definitely want to try it with Som'er as a midline support model and use those few models with high attack stats and Bayou Two Card (that being Som'er, Sammy and Roosters), although also focused shots with Bayou Gremlins turning straight damage flips into :+fates also seems rather appealing; in this case I'd keep it back and just throw out slows with its AP.

Also very interested to use it as a beater for Zoraida - :+fates to Obey with no LoS or range needed means that I am much more likely to look at Obeying enemies over using it to get more AP from friendlies. I think a paralyse whenever you summon the Doll is nice, but not something to rely on or a reason to take it in itself.

The other specific upgrades I'm not as impressed with. I think for 10 stones I'd probably rather take Gracie with Wong, and maybe Gracie or The Sow with Ulix. I might give Ulix with the generic Lucky Conflux upgrade a go though, I'm not very impressed with his specific upgrade, but piglets (and War Pigs!) getting :+fates to attacks seems nice, and a little bit of extra card cycling could help make sure that you don't get screwed over by a bad hand and can't summon anything.

Mah's is the one I'm really on the fence about. I really want to like the ability it gives you, but costing a card with a generally really card starved master feels like a pretty steep cost. I'll have to give it a go, but again I'm not convinced I shouldn't just take Gracie, Mancha Roja or maybe The Sow for beating or Sammy for control.

• Like 1