Pull My Finger -- Skyrocketing Rates!

What should happen to PullMyFinger  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I got a message about a month ago from Wikispaces, declaring that rates for maintaining the Wiki are going up from $50/year to about $300/year. This is two years after they went from free to $50/year.

I think that rate is pretty unreasonable, and I'd like to move it. I've had some very kind offers from some very resourceful people who could host it without a cost, or at an affordable rate. I'm grateful to those folks! Moving stuff over to a new place would take some copy and paste drudgework but it wouldn't be too bad, and that would probably be a good opportunity to give the site a refresh as well.

But, here's the thing: I really really don't own Pull My Finger. Other started it, other admins do a lot more maintaining. All I did was a lot of M2E content, and paid the dues the past two years. I don't feel like I'm qualified to make the decision without community response.

What do you think? Is it okay to move? Do you need it to stay where it is?

I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has other resources pointed to the current URL, like Crew builder apps and web pages. If the URL changed, would it be hard to change things? Would it break stuff?

Alternately, I could leave the pages where they are and just ask for help with funds, but I kind of think that would be kicking the can down the road rather than solving the problem. And I don't want to give Wikispaces money after they changed a free services into a $300/year service to a captive market.

Sound off! What are your thoughts?

• Like 7

From memory, I think the Wyrd staff were concerned that it might seem that the company was "taking ownership" of the wiki. There are issues of control, like applying Wyrd's community standards (as they would need to do if the wiki were hosted on their site) that they felt would detract from its independence as a fan project. There may also have been concerns about additional demand on staff/volunteer resources, etc.

Personally, I would really like to see an "official" wiki on this site because I much prefer the "one-stop-shop" convenience, the new player accessibility, and the aesthetic boost that the wiki would receive, but as one of the people who maintains those community standards I'm obviously biased. We have had accusations of heavy-handed moderation in the past, so I can understand if Wyrd are reluctant to open another potential avenue where some people might feel that their ideas, opinions and voices were marginalised.

Regardless of what is decided for PMF hosting, I would happily spend a lot of time working on content for any updates to the wiki as part of a larger renewal project.

• Like 7

I would like to see it migrated to Wyrd's site personally. They already sort of have the shell for it anyway and it does ease the entry for new players (as Kadeton states in his post a nice one stop shop). Additionally, it might do the site some good. Currently there are more than a few entries that have barely been touched and there really isn't a lot of consistency in formatting. Might even allow us to have the cards/ stats view-able, which seems to be an emerging trend in the industry for at least a few companies.

I also dont think the price increase is that unreasonable giving the amount of space it occupies and the traffic it sees, especially considering their are no ads (not that I am in favor of Ads but understand why they are there).

13 hours ago, Hateful Darkblack said:

I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has other resources pointed to the current URL, like Crew builder apps and web pages. If the URL changed, would it be hard to change things? Would it break stuff?

Okay, as I'm right now working on CrewFaux app, adding direct links to PMF for the models/upgrades that are there - from my perspective it's a bit of work, sure, but nothing that can't be done... Postponing that decision to move might as well mean that the next year it's gonna be $500. :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, vankender said:

Okay, as I'm right now working on CrewFaux app, adding direct links to PMF for the models/upgrades that are there - from my perspective it's a bit of work, sure, but nothing that can't be done... Postponing that decision to move might as well mean that the next year it's gonna be $500. :)

Thank you! That was definitely something I was worried about.

And yeah, I kind of expect that they'll keep on jacking up the prices as much as they can for what they see as captive audiences.

Well I have taken stock of the content on the site and if we are looking at migrating a clean up could be in order. I have the full site backed up as of last night.

1. remove all the non M2E pages

2. clean up of the general malifaux stuff (in general tactics and starting malifaux)

3. Fill out schemes and strategy section and add sub headings for different gaining grounds formats

4. remove the doodles and cosplay stuff

5. Link to Wyrd's FAQ and Errata page since they have also just redone it

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, osoi said:

Well I have taken stock of the content on the site and if we are looking at migrating a clean up could be in order. I have the full site backed up as of last night.

1. remove all the non M2E pages

Removing the non-m2e stuff would be huge. I can't count how many times I've talked to new players who come in to games wildly confused or misinformed after reading the 1.5 entry for their chosen Master.

2 hours ago, Fog said:

Let's change the name while we're at it. It's embarrassing to direct new players towards a fart joke.

The Wyrd forums are "themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd" and the webstore is "giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd", the Wiki needs an amusing name :)

1 hour ago, Munindk said:

The Wyrd forums are "themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd" and the webstore is "giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd", the Wiki needs an amusing name :)

I would call them pain in the arse instead of amusing, but to each their own...

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

Though that does set a precedent for having "pullmyfinger-wyrd.com" and otherwise just referring to it as "the Wiki". Best of both worlds?

hm, it's too short to fit with the current names, I'm picturing something like weproudlyintroducethefantasticwikinamedpullmyfinger-wyrd.com

• Like 6