July 11th - The Wild Ones

Lucidicide

Suddenly I don't feel so bad procrastinating on painting my McCabe. -This- is how I'll field McCabe in the future! So sweet.

But I'm now super intrigued if they'll get a Black Friday 'Finish off your crew!' nightmare model like the Coryphee. A pack of Guild Hounds with boilers? A gunner sidecar-motorbike as a Peacekeeper? A Lone Marshal on a bike? 

Glad to see the new "Advanced Modeler" warning on the back.

Going back and forth on these myself. While they are nice looking renders, aside from Cherri Bomb and Iggy Pup they just don't really look like they belong in Malifaux to me. Likely that others will disagree of course.

I think I'll use McCabe exclusively for Ten Thunders and Rollins for Guild (since he exists due to the Guild winning Nythera). That way I don't feel like I'm wasting money when I already have McCabe. Of course, I might use Cherry Bomb in a non-McCabe Ten Thunders Crew and Sidar in a non-Rollins Guild Crew depending on if they better with the Master or Crew.

Also, I can't wait to take Patti and Elli Ramone with Neverborn Lucius.

58 minutes ago, TheSpinebuster said:

Suddenly I don't feel so bad procrastinating on painting my McCabe. -This- is how I'll field McCabe in the future! So sweet.

But I'm now super intrigued if they'll get a Black Friday 'Finish off your crew!' nightmare model like the Coryphee. A pack of Guild Hounds with boilers? A gunner sidecar-motorbike as a Peacekeeper? A Lone Marshal on a bike? 

I like the above idea of a "Wild One" Greed ala Mad Max or a Special Edition Master Queeg since he is a Guild only and part of McCabe's Crew. One would give us a flaming guitar. The other would give us a sadist with a whip (which probably will look awesome in the Wild Ones aesthetic). You could make them a two pack Wyrd. Just saying.

• Like 2

The Guild aren't above hiring "disreputable" people. The Wild Ones are probably not on the official Guild books, but getting paid under the table is completely believable.

This is how I see that. The Wild Ones are allowed to do whatever they want as long as the stay out of "respectable" areas. And if a gang in the slums is disrupting Guild business? Oh. What do you know? The Wild Ones suddenly wipe out the gang. A business man somehow screws the Guild over but doesn't commit a crime (like not selling a Soulstone Mine)? Suddenly, he is having problems with a gang of thugs that the Guild just doesn't seem interested in dealing with.

I do hope they are more "loyal" to the Guild than the Ten Thunders as a reverse of McCabe who is more "loyal" to the Ten Thunders than the Guild. Though I suspect Rollins, like McCabe, will be more loyal to himself than either faction he belongs to.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ABoyNamedSue said:

The Guild aren't above hiring "disreputable" people. The Wild Ones are probably not on the official Guild books, but getting paid under the table is completely believable.

This is how I see that. The Wild Ones are allowed to do whatever they want as long as the stay out of "respectable" areas. And if a gang in the slums is disrupting Guild business? Oh. What do you know? The Wild Ones suddenly wipe out the gang. A business man somehow screws the Guild over but doesn't commit a crime (like not selling a Soulstone Mine)? Suddenly, he is having problems with a gang of thugs that the Guild just doesn't seem interested in dealing with.

I do hope they are more "loyal" to the Guild than the Ten Thunders as a reverse of McCabe who is more "loyal" to the Ten Thunders than the Guild. Though I suspect Rollins, like McCabe, will be more loyal to himself than either faction he belongs to.

Its not unlike "sponsored" gangs have existed in governments before. 

They look very WWX to me. And I'm playing Malifaux instead of WWX due to the aesthetic. So yeah, not for me. I can understand that a Nightmare box doesn't necessarily need to look "canon" as such but this is the least Malifauxian Nightmare release so far.

As models they are rather cool but I don't like them as Malfiaux models.

Oh well, a Nightmare box being not to my liking is probably the smallest problem a person can have, so the sky most certainly isn't falling.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, floso said:

Congratulations on 10 ts winning nythera... Oh wait. Bit disappointed to see a duel faction nightmare for the guilds reward. Though I do understand financially its more viable.

Still lovely looking models! Especially the mounted Guards 

Honestly, I don't think that has to do with anything. Dark Circus did pretty good from my understanding even though it was only a single faction.

I think Justin said recently (I forget where) that they worked hard trying to figure out what to do until they got a cool idea. It just happens that the cool idea is a Dual Faction.

Also, (assuming you ran Guild in Nythera) to give a good natured ribbing to Ten Thunder players using him ("You're welcome for that Crew").

Guess I'm just saying, enjoy the awesomeness and try not to get bogged down by the fact that another faction is enjoying the work you did. Even though I ran Gremlin, the Guild players have my complete congrats and (after seeing this Crew) thanks for winning. Rollins is YOUR win. If another faction benefits, it doesn't take away from your accomplishment.

You guys did great and won a hard fought competition. Rollins may be used as a Ten Thunders Crew, but he is a sign of Guild victory. Don't forget that. Even (maybe especially) if you see it across the table being used by the Ten Thunders. They are essentially using a Guild trophy as their Crew. Take pride in your win. Because he is your trophy regardless what the player declares as his/her faction.

Switching topics completely: Is Rollin's Upgrades getting renamed to fit the biker gang style instead of tomb raider style?

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

They look very WWX to me. And I'm playing Malifaux instead of WWX due to the aesthetic...I can understand that a Nightmare box doesn't necessarily need to look "canon" as such but this is the least Malifauxian Nightmare release so far.

I thought the same thing.

27 minutes ago, ABoyNamedSue said:

I think Justin said recently (I forget where) that they worked hard trying to figure out what to do until they got a cool idea. It just happens that the cool idea is a Dual Faction.

Or maybe Ten Thunders have infiltrated Wyrd just like they've infiltrated every faction and Wyrd did exactly what they were supposed to do...

• Like 3

Love the models look.

But... I am equally nonplussed by the theme/genre, I intellectually recognize in a steam/gothic/fantasy/horror magical world with cyborgs and monstrosities that really some lunatics on steampunk style motor/mono bikes is completely consistent.  Nevertheless it feels slightly not on genre to me, just a shade odd looking, no real reason just is.

Having said that I am old enough to remember 70's punk and I still love both it and some of its modern derivatives, for this reason alone I might be forced to purchase the box.

Besides I don't have a shag pile carpet and I retain a few shreds of sanity and patience from Yan Lo and Gremlin feet construction, this should be adequate to institutionalize me.

• Like 2

The really counter intuitive thing is that it's the motorcycle that's the less plausible vehicle, not the monobike, because of the tires:huh:

Radial tires and/or synthetic rubber are about ten years too early in the setting, without having some sort of 'ground up orphan blood' explanation. 

:P

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

They look very WWX to me. And I'm playing Malifaux instead of WWX due to the aesthetic. So yeah, not for me. I can understand that a Nightmare box doesn't necessarily need to look "canon" as such but this is the least Malifauxian Nightmare release so far.

As models they are rather cool but I don't like them as Malfiaux models.

Oh well, a Nightmare box being not to my liking is probably the smallest problem a person can have, so the sky most certainly isn't falling.

The crew fits very well with the Crossroads 7. It's not my personal preference, but I can see why others like the aesthetic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, solkan said:

The really counter intuitive thing is that it's the motorcycle that's the less plausible vehicle, not the monobike, because of the tires:huh:

Radial tires and/or synthetic rubber are about ten years too early in the setting, without having some sort of 'ground up orphan blood' explanation. 

:P

To be fair, "orphan's blood" is a pretty common ingredient in Malifaux.

• Like 1

Really torn on this one, even though I enjoyed fighting for the Guild during Nythera. I already love McCabe, and while there are some very nice models I do still kind of get a feeling of it being ever-so-slightly off. Malifaux has a lot of different elements that work pretty well together, but for some reason this just kind of throws me in a way the other stuff hasn't. Its also possible its because I've been playing a whole lot of Borderlands recently after picking up all the games in the Steam Sale, and thinking the aesthetic of this crew fits that setting better.

I'm coming around a bit more to it, especially if I think about using it as an excuse to buy Hoffman and just get further into the steampunk side of the game. I was initially drawn to Malifaux by the Weird Western themes, and think I'd prefer the less ornate Mounted Guardsmen with regular horses. Although the models would look great in the aforementioned Hoffman crew also.

Only thing I find a complete miss is Iggy Pup. Poor dog :( Probably won't replace Luna for me.

I may still pick it up though because they are really nice models, but I'm pretty sure I'm not good enough at modeling to make it through flawlessly. I barely managed the Ice Gamin while muttering curses.

Big question though: Like Dark Carnival, are there going to be further Nightmare limited releases (like the coryphee for Dark Carnival) released for the Wild Ones?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edopersichetti said:

Wow. Awesome box. A bit disappointed that it had to be Guild (Gremlins/Neverborn players, we should have won this!!) but my wallet, at least, is relieved :D

Just hope that the next time Guild wins, Lucius is the box they chose :P .