Help me Win with Guild?

Lizzy Lovecraft

So I recently started playing Guild, coming over from Rezers (cause I hate the smell inside pine boxes), and I've yet to win a game with them.  They look awesome, and what they can do rocks, but just isn't working for me.  I think it might be my crew building.  I struggle to build before each game, and tho I may have found it tuff back when I started Rezers, now I can practically build a Rezer crew off the top of my head.  I've even built silly theme crews and rocked it.  It might be that I just don't know Guild models yet, but they look fairly straightforward.

I play a game Monday.  We already know the strategy is Guard The Stash.  And it's a 50 SS game.  I plan to bring Lucas McCabe.  I'm playing against Arcanists, so definately bringing Glowing Saber, and probably Badge of Speed.  I assume I should bring the usual guild suspects; Francisco and two Austringers (which means scheme marker schemes/ convict labor?), Master Queeg looks cool, but he doesn't have too much synergy other than he can take Promises.  Sidir looks even less useful.  And do I even need Promises, or just give it to McCabe?  Should I bring Death Marshalls?  My head hurts!...,..  and that's where I'm at.

Help me find their potential?  Help me build a crew?

Unless my opponent throws a curve-ball Cassandra at me, I'll probably see Joss....

Also, can the the Deliver Orders target place/remove schemes even while engaged?  It honestly never came up with Rezers.

• Like 1

Guild is tough, especially coming from one of the trick factions. Our strength is in a head-to-head fight and our weakness is that we can't force that fight to happen.

In Guard the Stash I usually play Sonnia with Imprint, aiming to wipe the opponent off of one of the markers and go for parity on schemes. With Sonnia in gts I actually like the Emissary+Hopkins+Abuela combo for good first turn kills.

Generally I would aim for a balance between killyness and staying power. McCabe (carrying the Saber) with two Wardens would be the core of the crew, add an Austringer (never two unless you hate your opponents, personal taste there) and build the rest for schemes. 

• Like 1

Do you know the strat but not the schemes?

I almost always take promises on McCabe himself and skip Sidir. A peacekeeper + Francisco could be a decent base for a crew. I usually bring Luna and the effigy. I believe that leaves you at 34sswith some flexibility after seeing the schemes. Austringers/hunters/wardens and wastrels are all models I like reactivating with the badge of speed. You might want some sort of upgrade on the peacekeeper so you don't need to give it upgrades for the promises buff.

I think the only reason I would bring Sidir is Show of Force. He`s great with By Your Side and Promises within 6" of the middle. Else I would take Promises on Queeg or McCabe. 

I think reactivate Wardens are cool because you can paralyze non-SS users - Howard, Angelica. And if you only have SS users min damage 3 can also do its work (or pushing enemis off of Stash Markers)

Austringers are always good regardless of scheme pool. I practiced shooting Malifaux Rats/Lasarus and just throwing in mid-level masks. He needs a 4 higher card to beat you with Df 4 and the discard can be really annoying, so if you throw in a 8 of masks he either throws a 12 and you win (or can bump it to a 9 of masks) or they lose and discard two cards. I did it with 2 austringers (one with reactivate) and I was able to drop 4 cards-6 cards per turn. Deliver Orders allows a normal Interact so you can`t place markers if engaged.

Guild Hounds are also nice. Extra activations, nice damage with the Sabre and very mobile. With Luna they are crazy good.

I've got into McCabe recently myself, after playing with other Guild Masters. I think he's one case where Francisco is not an auto take, simply because you struggle to get the most out of McCabe's mobility while still trying to keep within El Mayor range. And McCabe can get his own Df up to 7 when in combat. If Hunting Party and Show of Force are in the pool, of course Cisco is still a great choice, but in those cases I'd probably be looking to a different master than McCabe. 

I think the trick to McCabe is using minions that can get a lot out of reactive and nimble, and ones that can really punch above their weight when handed a Glowing Sabre. I'd certainly take one Austringer. With reactivate and nimble and the 4" push from being handed the Badge, you can easily get two focused shots in turn 1, which is huge for scheme-runner removal. Often with other masters, you will find yourself using turn 1 just to reposition the Austringer, which can feel like a drag. Hounds (plus Luna) are an obvious choice for scheme runners and Glowing Sabre targets - using a dog to take out a more expensive model is very efficient.

Other notable minions are hunters and wardens. I like hunters, because they have a Ml 6 attack with good damage spread on their base card. So, when reactivated they can be a frightening prospect even without the Sabre (i.e. if the dogs are using it). Wardens are more durable and will be more useful for holding points, and can get plenty of attempts at paralyze if you reactivate them. But they don't have the damage output of the hunters. If you want a larger model in the crew, then don't forget that the Pale Rider can do absolutely horrible things with the Glowing Saber in the late game! ;) He just needs babysitting turns 1 and 2. 

As for Promises - I like it on McCabe himself. That way he's never gonna lose those buffs, and you are not wasting stones to bring Queeg or Sidir who I have found underwhelming with McCabe (others probably disagree). I love Sidir in my my McMourning lists, mostly because he can bring in Promises. But when you can put Promises on your master, I don't see the need for Sidir. 

To answer your question about deliver orders: when you actually take the interact action to place/remove marker, you need to be unengaged. But the 2" push is usually enough to disengage before interacting. Austringers are amazing in headhunter strategy. After killing an enemy, place the maker 2" behind your own model then use the Austringer to have him pick it up next activation. 

If you know the schemes for your upcoming games I'd be happy to help with a list.

• Like 1