July FAQ - Leveticus and Malifaux Rat Errata

Justin

Nah most of it was aimed at Adran (local team member)

I dislike NtL ... heck I didnt really like assassinate

I dont think this is the thread at all to discuss, I just saw an opportunity to gripe.

I dont see the reason for the cache drop personally and thought it was an unecessary extra.

• Like 1

A lot of these arguments about Weak Models, Strong Models, auto-lose Strategies and Schemes, intended play styles and such seem vaguely familiar...

With that said, Malifaux is an extremely complex game that really attempts to balance itself around factions rather than individual Masters/ crews and to a lesser extent through the Strategies/ Schemes. Choosing to play a particular crew in the face of "less optimal" Strategies and Schemes is exactly that, a choice. While it can place you at a disadvantage it doesn't mean that you can't still try to win the game or have fun. It just means you have to approach the game differently, say perhaps by playing for a draw or narrow victory instead of a dominating one.

I would contend (and often have) that Malifaux is poorly suited for extremely competitive environments. There are far too many interactions to really balance, complicated further by cross faction hiring options. It's strength, for me at least, has always been in the "Story" of the games. Win or lose, I have received far more enjoyment playing casual games with and against "themey" crews than I ever have in a competitive environment with a highly tuned list.

I am just glad that a "fix" (even if perhaps not a 100% solution) for stuff is coming quite a bit faster than it did in the past. Levi (and the rats) is far from completely neutered but at least an attempt has been made to pull him back into line.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, jondoe297 said:

And genuinely believe neutralise the leader needs to be errata'd to requiring an enemy action to make you leave the board for the two points given up.  

I am completely against this. If my Master is close to death, and I figure I can't save it, I'd kill it just to screw my opponent out of 2 points.

I'm not against NtL being errata'd (and with Levi being Cuddled, I think it is a legit talk even if it's decided that NtL is best staying as it is), but this would make it worthless if you deal with someone like me who is happy to sacrifice their Master if they think it could help him win.

• Like 2

What about something like, gain points if "the enemy Leader is removed as result of a condition or another model's Actions or Abilities."

That way Levi and Dreamer aren't harmed as it's their own abilities that take them out, but if they are taken out by other means, the points still count.

The problem is that it swings the favorability from against Levi and Dreamer to favoring Levi and Dreamer since their players can keep them buried as much as possible and VERY few models can attack buried models. So, that doesn't really work. That's what I think the ultimate problem is. It's very hard to do a fix to make NtL neutral(ish) for Levi and Dreamer instead of simply swinging pendulum from against to in favor of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About this FaQs I feel the change a little bit "Rat engine" but not so much, its true that turn when I summon its imposible to play, but during the rest of the game is posible, making that a very good point, because its more easy to play malifuax rat skill. 

About levi's changes, its ok, but how I feel the game, there are other masters needing changes, more than Levi. By the way, Its a new point for the outcast game. 

And I'm agree with the other player who ask about change on the "useless" master. Its important to fix them more close to other master, finally, all the player likes to play that master which they choose, but have that master on your desk because they can stop most of the other its sad. To balance the game, who I see the things, we need to start from the bottom and work up to the top.

• Like 1