July FAQ - Leveticus and Malifaux Rat Errata

Justin

@Justin, thank you!

This was a perfect way to solve this issue. To be clear I primarily play Outcasts and I just won a recent tournament using Levi and the rat engine and I am really glad to see this change. It was never a fun list to play and it was an obvious NPE for my opponents, but it was "the best" list available. I'm excited to see the field evened a bit so I can feel more justified running the other Outcast masters (who I always preferred anyway). I am very encouraged to see Wyrd take the community's concerns into account and enact a change that is both respectful of players' purchases and also helpful to the balance and fun of the whole game.

Nice work!

PS - Now I also don't have to bug you about this at Gencon, so that's a plus too ;)

• Like 7

Speaking as an Outcast and particularly a Leveticus and Viks player, I wholly approve of all of the above.  Not that my vote counts for much after it's already in ink, but I sincerely appreciate the care and consideration with which you applied these erratas and the detailed explanation thereof.  

• Like 4

@Justin thank you for such an in depth explanation of the changes and why they have happend. Wyrd always does a great job listening and making changes than really need to be made when the evidence to support them is there. Keep up the great job making sure that not only our gaming future (Book 4!) Is fun and exciting but also that our past models are balanced and enjoyable, as well. 

• Like 3

Ah, and I had just painted Levi a few weeks ago :PGonna try him out in a game today, I suspect it won't be too bad. I was already planning on taking the selective sniper tack with him, so it won't change it up too much.

Also a general, minor request: For new errata/FAQ questions on the webpage, could the date at the end also be in red such that new entries can be recognized much more easily? I appreciated that in the PDF versions, but it doesn't seem to be so for the webpage.

• Like 6

I love you, Wyrd!... This may be a little exaggerated, but I feel like you are now tailing closer behind Infinity in terms of balance and playability.
Supporting your game feels like getting a great payoff after sticking around with it. Keep the 'shine coming ;)

I don't mind the changes much; Levi will be fine, but different. Hamelin received a 'boost' in the way that he is now the only one to employ the true rat engine; Fine. I never saw either of those as a problem, and I have played both as Levi and against Levi quite a lot, and against the rat engine a couple of times without problem.
To be honest; I found they forced the opponent to think out side their comfort zone which is a good thing.

However, the errata is in - the change is done - and the game will go on and still be good.

It does require a follow up question;
When will you fix the masters *under* the power curve? Lucius and Yan Lo are quite underperforming at events, especially our poor secretary. If you are willing to start hot-fixing models like this, then give these guys some love.
And how about the Ca8 Belles that, if I remember correctly Justin himself said he would have liked to change to Ca7, when will they be changed?

I love this game, and I like the openness of the design-decisions, so it is hard to be properly furious, but I simply believe there were more important issues to fix than these.

edit: I forgot about Tara; A master who has been 'fixed' so many times by alternative means. 'Free' upgrades added to her themed guys, extra henchmen to fit her theme and fix her... twice. Why not just give her the change Tara players are asking for, and merge one or two of her upgrades unto her card? 
Play experience should extend beyond the competitive environment, which means fixing all masters, not just the once at the top of the curve.

• Like 5

+1 to Patzer's post, thanks for explaining.

Rat Engine is well done, gives Hamelin back his character the other dirty Outcasts were stealing!

Levi, oh, Levi...   what can we say?  Thanks, Justin, for taking this step, I know Errata is not an easy move to make.

• Like 3

I feel like Lucius is already being addressed (what he needs most is efficient Minions and solid beaters to back them up). I never had problems with him in Neverborn after I figured out what he wanted to do - he is actually my strongest master there. In Guild he felt very weak to me, but with the new minion choices he is going to be so fun... Yan Lo on the other hand never clicked with me quite as well in the end but some people swear by his name, so he might not be as bad? Can't say for sure.
Having Rats perform at their best in Hamelin's lists is quite flavorful - he IS the rat king after all. They are still available for summoning in other lists, but the combo is not as foolproof anymore.
Overall the changes sound quite good in terms of balancing, our local Levi player agreed to that just now. Hope these changes do not turn people away from playing Levi and his creepy rag-tag crew of undead/constructs...

• Like 1

I am very happy that Wyrd addressed Levi and the Rat Engine in non Nihilist crews. I still think Levi is still near the cream of the crop even with his changes today. Players will have to use him a bit differently now. I look forward to playing against him and seeing some new tactics displayed by him and his crew other than channel x3 and shoot x3 for the majority of the turns. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

I feel like Lucius is already being addressed (what he needs most is efficient Minions and solid beaters to back them up). I never had problems with him in Neverborn after I figured out what he wanted to do - he is actually my strongest master there. In Guild he felt very weak to me, but with the new minion choices he is going to be so fun... Yan Lo on the other hand never clicked with me quite as well in the end but some people swear by his name, so he might not be as bad? Can't say for sure.
Having Rats perform at their best in Hamelin's lists is quite flavorful - he IS the rat king after all. They are still available for summoning in other lists, but the combo is not as foolproof anymore.
Overall the changes sound quite good in terms of balancing, our local Levi player agreed to that just now. Hope these changes do not turn people away from playing Levi and his creepy rag-tag crew of undead/constructs...

The changes are fine, as I said. I simply want some changes to the bottom of the pile as well. Levi will be fine, and re-instating Hamelin as the rat king is A-OK by me.

However; Lucius needs more than just minions. Most of his abilities require high cards and suits or forcing your own guys to take tests. Most of the other masters (in both factions) are more reliably doing what they are supposed to. He is definitely better in Neverborn than in Guild in my opinion, but from a competitive stand-point he cannot compete with Lilith, Dreamer or 'Dora I find. If my opponent declares Guild or Neverborn and I then see Lucius across the table I am relieved.

Don't get me wrong; I like Lucius. Like a lot. But that is from a fluff perspective and a gameplay perspective, but I do not find him competetive. Adding minions to the mix is not going to fix him, as any sufficiently good minion for Lucius is a similarly good minion for every other master in the faction. And any sufficiently good minion in Guild will be hired by McCabe and reactivated until hot-fixed.
I have high hopes for the upcoming Faeries for Neverborn, but time will tell.
I still think the best idea would be to errata the Wp required to pass Lucius' horror duel and the damage of Devil's Deal.

• Like 2