Logistics and what it means

D_acolyte

So I went back and forth on this post recently. Not because it is not a topic to cover but more of it could be seen by some as a really ass thing to do. If you think it is that then too bad because I want to do it and this is the day for it. The American War of Independence lasted 8 years and 4 months and today I celebrate the war and birth of my country by talking on a miniature forum page about the one of the two deciding factors in that wars outcome. That would be Logistics not the economics which was also a major factor as they tied in together.
For those that do not have a definition of logistics it is the detailed coordination of a complex operation. Basically a fancy way of saying how and what I need to move in order to achieve a goal.
I can already hear people saying but D we are not playing a map base campaign at my story or this is not important for what I do. Well you are wrong. I will start by classifying ranges with some examples, common additions, then order of operation, finally terrain.
For this I am going to say anything that has a range less than 5 is short, this will mostly by pulses and close attack actions. Then from 5 to 10 as standard and anything greater than 10 as long. Now how does this play out.
I will be using Lucius and a lawyer for this example, because I got to play with them recently and this can fall into the complex part from the definition easily. Lucius’s commanding Presence is a long distance ability with a range of 18 where the lawyers Reminder of a Worse Fate is an aura 6. If you do not know what these do, Commanding Presence causes a friendly minion with in LOS and 18 inches to take a horror dual when Lucius walk in order to do a 1 action and the Reminder of a Worse Fate gives a plus flip to horror dual. So where logistic comes into play is the combination of these ability to maximize effect. The biggest limitation on the maximization is the shortest distance needed as that model in theory would need to move the most to have it effect take place. Wow that is a long winded way of saying that is simple. I totally agree, this is simple stuff when you break it down.
Through playing the game we deal with logistics all the time. Some masters have it built into how they need to think, I am looking at you McCabe. So some other examples of logistics for distance include actions like Leny tossing Ophelia 8 inches instead of 10 so that Ophelia then pushing him to her or Malevolence on Kirai and Lost Love to cover all your crew.
So for this next section I will be doing some quick math and will be rounding things to the nearest .5 inch. 25mm is about an inch.
I will be using the Dreamer and teddy in this example. So dreamer has an action that lets a nightmare or minion push 6 and make a (1) Ml attack but he can also accomplish people if he has an upgrade and models with in 6 heal some when they activate. This guy is almost the definition of a Bubble Master; Bubble Master are masters that are “most effective” surrounded by their crew forming a bubble. So to maximize these three ranges and still maximizing the action to push teddy what is teddies threat range. So it will be a range from the Dreamer as he is the source we care about. 40 mm is about 1.5 for the teddy base +2 inches for his combat distance and 6 for the aura gets us a teddy threat of 9.5 inches from the Dreamer while still getting all the bonuses from the Dreamer and after teddy initial activation he can go do whatever.
So the next part of is order of operation. I touched on this some in the Ophelia but sometimes to get strong combination you need to do multiple activation in the right order. Here is an example from a tournament I was in a few weeks ago last turn and I have the last 3 activation one of which was summoned and another was engaged in order to win I had to place 3 schemes markers because of search the ruins. First the summon Lilitu lures teddy out of combat her. Then the hooded rider places a scheme Revels in Reclamation ending with placing a scheme. Teddy then moves and places a scheme. This is a very simple order of operation problem where there are some that are much higher, such as with McCabe and double to triple use of an upgrade turn 2. That goes with tossing it out turn one, activating that model turn 2 then picking it up with McCabe to use it and then he toss it to another model. This is often done with the badge of speed.
So finally I will be talking about the bane of all logistic the terrain. So in Malifuax there are 4 things that we need to watch for. First severe terrain as it will slow down a lot of models in most factions but pushes get around this. Next is obstacles/obstructions, this is like wall; you normally cannot push through them and these will stop auras up to their size so if your hiding dreamer behind a wall to still heal Teddy you are doing it wrong. Then we have dense terrain that you can see into but not through, like forest. Finally we have what tend to be the rarest which is dangerous, this is terrain that can and will hurt you and this will restrict your movement and plans if you let it. Can a piece of terrain be questionable on which of these it is, yes so discuss it first; at my LGS there are some 1 inch tall hedges and some play them as obstacles and others as severe with or without dense. There are other aspects to terrain, I will cover those probably at a later date and there importance to this topic is limited.
Please tell me what you want next otherwise I will come up with something. Also please comment and discuss. This line always makes me feel like I am doing a youtube thing. Also do people like it when I title these post D's something something?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Goopy said:

I feel like you may have some really good points but both this post and the last post were a wall of text and made my brain shut off. :(

Sorry about that, I am trying to keep them some what limited but some of these get complicated and examples are almost always need.

What I feel is important in this one is the fallowing:
For those that do not have a definition of logistics it is the detailed coordination of a complex operation.
When staking bonuses the limiting factor on how effective it is are the shortest distance.
Effective threat while gaining bonus from an aura is additive from the base of who is radiating the aura.
Despite how all this is based on distance logistics also has an effect on the order of activation.
Finally understanding terrain is very important when planning out how you will use logistics.

The rest is explanation, reasoning and also examples of these concepts.