Most fun Masters - for both players

surly

23 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

If someone groans at Viks because "Math Mathonwy on the Internet doesn't like their playstyle" then I must say that I don't feel bad. Sorry. Might make me a horrible person. :P 

Damn it Math! That is the basis for all my opinions in Malifaux :D 

I kind of agree that games with Viks often turn out boring because they are so swingy. Either the Viks do their thing and the opponent doesn't have any models left after turn 2 or the opponents gets them first and the Viks don't have anything left after turn 2. I am prepared to admit that it's a personal opinion and not canon.

The problem with this topic is that everything will be personal opinions and there is no way in hell that this will turn out into a perfect recommendation that will fit everyone. THe best case scenario is that people only mildly disagree. The worst case is a full on flamewar.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 04/07/2016 at 7:53 AM, Math Mathonwy said:

The objectively correct listing of Masters rated into tiers based on fun is as follows:

Tier 1 fun: Von Schill, Mah Tucket, Molly, Kaeris, Lucius, Yan Lo, Guild McMourning, McCabe, Mei Feng, Zoraida, Kaeris, Lady Justice.

Tier 2 fun: Ironsides, Lilith, Misaki, Nicodem, Seamus, Shen Long, Marcus, Somer, Ulix, Wong, Resser McMourning

Tier 3 fun: Sonnia, Perdita, Hoffman, Levi, Brewmaster, Dreamer, Ramos, Rasputina, Pandora, Collodi, Ophelia, Colette, Kirai, Lynch, Edit: Jack Daw (Thanks, tmod!)

Tier 4 "fun": Hamelin, Viks.

Alright @Math Mathonwy : time for an update of the above! Y'know, since we've had Wave 4 Masters, Wave 5 models, and Broken Promises upgrades, after all...

I enjoy this topic (as long as it stays light-hearted), and fun is the most important aspect of the game for me (but then, I personally derive a lot of fun from scheming my crews at home, and trying to come up with increasingly bombastic & self-defeating Gremlin tactics, so...)

Problem is, I don't get to play a wide range of Masters, so can't venture my own list. It's up to you, Math & Co! 😉

3 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Alright @Math Mathonwy : time for an update of the above! Y'know, since we've had Wave 4 Masters, Wave 5 models, and Broken Promises upgrades, after all...

I enjoy this topic (as long as it stays light-hearted), and fun is the most important aspect of the game for me (but then, I personally derive a lot of fun from scheming my crews at home, and trying to come up with increasingly bombastic & self-defeating Gremlin tactics, so...)

Problem is, I don't get to play a wide range of Masters, so can't venture my own list. It's up to you, Math & Co! 😉

Topic should be named in other way. All masters are fun . Only difference is how forgiveable they are and how fast u can loose game if u lost a model. If we talk about overall balanced and forgiveable masters, then book 4 masters are most fun and the best cause even if u don't want to fight u can go scheming or if u want but loosing u still go scheming and have a chance to win.  In comparison with book 4 masters i would say less fun are immobile masters, cause there is not so much fun when your master has WK 4, or WK 3 (Dear Raspy 😰 ) and nothing can push him while u face dirty Zipp and someone who can fly with WK 6+ and whole map is with terrain and vantage points ht4+.

On 7/3/2016 at 3:53 PM, Math Mathonwy said:

The objectively correct listing of Masters rated into tiers based on fun is as follows:

Tier 1 fun: Von Schill, Mah Tucket, Molly, Kaeris, Lucius, Yan Lo, Guild McMourning, McCabe, Mei Feng, Zoraida, Kaeris, Lady Justice.

Tier 2 fun: Ironsides, Lilith, Misaki, Nicodem, Seamus, Shen Long, Marcus, Somer, Ulix, Wong, Resser McMourning

Tier 3 fun: Sonnia, Perdita, Hoffman, Levi, Brewmaster, Dreamer, Ramos, Rasputina, Pandora, Collodi, Ophelia, Colette, Kirai, Lynch, Edit: Jack Daw (Thanks, tmod!)

Tier 4 "fun": Hamelin, Viks.

Of course all of these depend on lists a lot. Colette without Howard or December Acolytes is likely tier 2, for example.

I like games that aren't decided (one way or the other) on turn two. I also like for both players to be able to sorta kinda try and do their own thing so super disruptive Masters are less fun. An extremely lop-sided playstyle is also annoying. Note that there are some really powerful Masters on tier 1 and 2 but there is a light inverse dependence on power level that can be observed.

Hamelin is very boring and annoying in several ways and Viks are just utterly stupid to play with or against. In fact, Viks, could for Tier 5 on their own.

Nellie is so unfun she didn't even make the list? 

EDIT: didn't realize that the list was so old, she hadn't been released yet.  I'm shocked Hoffman was in Tier 3.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

Nellie is so unfun she didn't even make the list? 

EDIT: didn't realize that the list was so old, she hadn't been released yet.  I'm shocked Hoffman was in Tier 3.

And Ramos. And Leveticus.

It’s a bias against stompybots. :Bot:Which is inexplicable. :Spider:

• Like 2

On 2016/7/4 at 4:52 PM, Sklertic said:

In my experience, the most fun masters to face, are the ones, that will kill you old school (by way of murdering you with either tools or fists).

Masters who dictate your activations or deny you a lot are quite frustrating at times. (Jack Daw, Hamelin, Brewmaster and Pandora f.x)

An overly cautious opponent can be boring to face as well.

I'd strongly agree with this! 

On 11/08/2016 at 8:17 PM, Kadeton said:

This conversation is getting bogged down in semantics, to the point of derailing the thread and upsetting participants. Can we take it as read that some players will find some Masters more or less enjoyable to play against based on a host of factors, including but not limited to play style, opponents' behaviour, personal history, the phase of the moon, etc, and that there isn't any factor which can be considered the universal root cause of that reaction? Also that if people disagree with your opinion, it doesn't mean they're wrong, they just have a different opinion.

If you especially enjoy (or don't enjoy) playing against a certain Master, talk about the experiences you've had that helped form that opinion!

Personally, I've always enjoyed playing as and against Mei Feng, because she really levels out the pace of the game. There are very few big spikes of damage in either direction, plenty of opportunities for recovery, and Mei herself ignores the main anti-fun Conditions. Plus she's got a great tactical-positioning game, and it's fun to watch her bounce around like a pinball.

You know what? That's EXACTLY how we should all be treating posts like this, by default. Thanks @Kadeton!  I would've thought that we'd all be able to take that as read - whenever anyone is asking for advice on crews that're fun, or themed, or anything else subjective, there really is no place for egos to compete for objective dominance. 

I, for one, would LOVE to hear people's experiences of games that've been consistently fun to play. Me - I love playing with my Wong. BOOM! Lots of fun hijinks with blasts, Scheme markers flying around, and using Burt and Lovely Assistant to try to corral enemy models into the blast zone (I know - The Lovely Assistant is the "Wrong" Totem choice for Wong. Unless you find her to be FUN!). And, I've only had horrible experiences playing against Hamelin. That's so far been more like watching your opponent play Malifaux Solitaire.  On slow play...