June 27 - Zipp

Lucidicide

1 hour ago, Dogmantra said:

I feel like the Insignificant is balanced by that Df/Wp trigger and Wk 8(!) ;)

Well Wk 8 is cool but if you can't interact it's a bit of a waste...I am curious to understand what is role in the game is going to be. Hard to pin down, sure, but what exactly will he be useful for? Just peppering the enemies with three shots of an electric gun seems a bit underwhelming, that's all. I have to conclude his back of the card has some interesting "buff" abilities for his crew...

1 minute ago, edopersichetti said:

Well Wk 8 is cool but if you can't interact it's a bit of a waste...I am curious to understand what is role in the game is going to be. Hard to pin down, sure, but what exactly will he be useful for? Just peppering the enemies with three shots of an electric gun seems a bit underwhelming, that's all. I have to conclude his back of the card has some interesting "buff" abilities for his crew...

I think this guy is more about disrupting other peoples scheeming, sort of like Parker but in a different way by causing you to have to discard cards to interact. In fact most of these masters seem to be about some how effecting schemes.

• Like 1

If anything is going to make the Malifaux Child swallow her passionate dislike for stinking greenskins and jump ship, this is it.

5 hours ago, Neo_Maquiavelo said:

Wait what?

He Walks more than Charges?

It seems he doesn't use his backpack while charging  xD

All the stabilizer jets cancel each other out when he charges. He actually charges 15 or so, but he flies in loops so it only ends up being 5 in a straight line. ;)

3 hours ago, r4st4f4n said:

To me Zipp looked smaller :) maybe I compare him to Merris Lacroix, or it's just the group shot

Ht 1 gremlin + Ht 1 Smoke Trail of Concealment!

13 minutes ago, SoylentRobot said:

could you imagine if he didnt get a proper crew box, its just Zipp and a massive Zeppelin model that covers half the board and costs 45 soulstones or something

*the Malifaux Child is muffled before the nigh-inevitable "so does that count as a construct, you've got to say 'yes' one of these days..."*

6 hours ago, daniello_s said:

I assume Merris is his girlfriend, isn't she?:P

I see it a little more like this:
*Zipp zips his zeppelin over to Merris, aethervoxes lashed to the rails of the deck*
*music starts up, thumping beat, ready for karaoke*

FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS, YOU MAKE THE ROCKIN' WORLD GO ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUND

*...and that's why Zipp is now insignificant*

• Like 4

According to your description I could also easily make your sentiment thus:

"Well Back Ally is cool but if you can't interact when you use it it's a bit of a waste. Hard to pin down sure, but what exactly will he be useful for? Just peppering the enemy with 1 shot from his .50 cal flintlock seems a bit underwhelming, that's all."

Just have to wait and see. I'm fairly certain they didn't give him insignificant with out a good deal of debate. Though given some of the designers personalities they very well could have said at an inebriated office party:

"You know...what? Gremlins... they aren't a real faction anyway. The next master...we create is gonna be insignificant, that'll show um."

Then they woke up the next morning and went, you know... we can make that WORK.  

• Like 7

While I'll admit that I've done it a few times in a pinch, if your plan relies on you using your Master to Interact, something else has probably gone wrong. It's a legitimate option when it scores, but Lady Justice doing things that aren't swinging her sword is usually a waste of Master AP.

We don't know what Zipp does other than move fast, but I think we can safely assume that he does something that the designers believe compensates for his inability to Interact. A first hint is probably his pseudo-Chatty, which is quite powerful, combined with his high mobility.

5 hours ago, edopersichetti said:

From a seasoned Gremlin player's perspective, he is a bit underwhelming so far. Of course, the judgment can't be complete since one of the 4 abilities on the front of his card is obvious (flight) and another is a negative one (insignificant) which should hopefully be balanced by an awesome back of the card, which we haven't seen yet. Also, there is obviously potential for upgrades and his crew, and the theme of the sky pirates sounds cool. I just hope he is viable to play!

A lot of people are getting excited about "sky pirate" and think it's going to be a pirate-themed crew but I actually don't think so...seeing how they're called "iron skeeters", and he doesn't look piratesque at all, they might all just look like him...

I'm with you. Insignificant means he needs to be better at killing things at range than Ophelia or Wong.

This was worth the wait, this guy looks amazing. Was so very undecided as to which master to get next for my ever growing Gremlins, but it seems that choice has now been made. Interested to see what the whole 'Sky Pirate' thing is about, I'm liking all these themed crews we keep getting.

I am not a fan of a Master that is Insignificant. Really hoping the back side of his card and upgrades make up for that in a very big way.

18 minutes ago, Kyris said:

...is it just me or is there a huge wound bloating going on with the new masters?

I would argue there is a lot of bloating going on but that is a road that isn't worth going down again since each side is fairly dug in on their opinions and unlikely to change them

6 hours ago, Kyris said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Zipp; I'm generally not interested in Gremlins and this isn't changing that.

But, is it just me or is there a huge wound bloating going on with the new masters?

Wound?

No.

Most Masters outside of Ressers have 12 wounds. Parker is above average, Nellie and Asami are below average. Reva is hard to gauge as she's above average in terms of all Masters but below for her faction. Everyone else is right at 12.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomjoad said:

To the people very concerned with Insignificant...how often do you use your Master as a scheme runner? Like, sure, it comes up sometimes, but isn't it usually a last resort?

They're worried about the opposing player auto scoring on 'interact with the enemy' schemes by landing a condition which Zipp cannot remove.

However, GG2016 schemes at least are Ok with the idea of one scheme being a very poor choice for a handful of masters, so this was probably foreseen and approved. We just won't play Zipp into a scheme pool heavy with 'interact with the enemy' schemes, or will get very good at running away. Speaking of running away, he's going to be very good at dumping 'cursed object' via walk duel.

Or he has an upgrade to lose insignificant status. Probably some kind of hat, gremlins being what they are.

4 hours ago, D6Damager said:

I'm with you. Insignificant means he needs to be better at killing things at range than Ophelia or Wong.

Thanks! It's hard to do better than those two! ;)

It's weird, he has all the makings of an awesome interact-heavy master: he flies, he has Wk 8 (EIGHT!) and he's very hard to pin down...but can't interact. Simply using him to disrupting enemy interactions seems like an underwhelming use for a master, it is more of a task for the likes of Fingers or Mr. Tannen etc.

Somebody was mentioning earlier that if you use Lady J to run scheme markers you're probably doing it wrong. I agree,  but there are masters and masters. Some masters are killy and that's what they should be doing (Lady J is one of those, Leveticus, Ophelia etc.) but some masters aren't. I'd never use Lady J to lay scheme markers but I wouldn't use Colette to try and kill stuff either!! That's not even 100% true anyway: the one time I DID use Ophelia to run schemes she was awesome at it. I ran her with an elite crew which was more than capable of holding its own, and she happened to be the one with the longest legs (Wk 6) and 3 AP so...lay 2 scheme markers in the same activation and get 3VPs from a scheme? Yes please.

This is all to say, as you mention above, Insignificant is a pretty bad drawback. I'm curious to understand exactly what he is going to be good at: it's weird that it is not interacting since it looks like he's made for it, and I can't think it would be killing stuff (unless his gun is a .50 flintlock) or summoning stuff. Can't wait to see the back of that card, his upgrades and crew!

3 hours ago, Justin said:

Most Masters outside of Ressers have 12 wounds. Parker and Titania are above average, Nellie and Asami are below average. Reva is hard to guage as she's above average in terms of all Masters but below for her faction. Everyone else is right at 12.

3 hours ago, Justin said:

Average Master Wd for w1 and w2 (counting McCabe as 13):

• Guild ~11.9
  • Ressers 12
  • Arcanists ~11.4
  • Neverborn ~9.3
  • Outcast ~10.9
  • Gremlins ~11.4
  • TT ~11.9
  • Everyone ~11.1 (this may seem low when looking at the faction values, but most dual faction Masters have relatively high Wd and they only count once here)

Average for w4 is 12. Asami and Nellie are below their faction average, the rest are above it (including Reva). That said, and as I put fourth in another thread, I don't think this lot of Masters feel harder than average as most have less defensive abilities than older Masters. Of course if everyone has Southern Hospitality style defences on the back of their cards that opinion can change. :P 

5 minutes ago, Bengt said:

Average Master Wd for w1 and w2 (counting McCabe as 13):

• Guild ~11.9
  • Ressers 12
  • Arcanists ~11.4
  • Neverborn ~9.3
  • Outcast ~10.9
  • Gremlins ~11.4
  • TT ~11.9
  • Everyone ~11.1 (this may seem low when looking at the faction values, but most dual faction Masters have relatively high Wd and they only count once here)

Average for w4 is 12. Asami and Nellie are below their faction average, the rest are above it (including Reva). That said, and as I put fourth in another thread, I don't think this lot of Masters feel harder than average as most have less defensive abilities than older Masters. Of course if everyone has Southern Hospitality style defences on the back of their cards that opinion can change. :P 

That depends on how you calculate the average. For the mean, you are correct.

But for mode, which I think is a far more pertinent thing to look at here, the average is 12.

I say mode is more important both because of outliers that throw off the average (Dreamer only has 6 wounds but is far from easy to kill) and because, when designing a Master, the starting baseline for wounds is 12 and then that is adjusted up or down depending on other factors (other defensive abilities, greater need for defense because of how they play, or less need for it if they hang back, etc).

But, regardless of how you calculate it, I think the claim that there is a "huge wound bloat" is inaccurate. 

:)

• Like 6