Serpentarium's Malifaux Mondays - HEAVY PICS

Ravenswood

On 10/23/2017 at 3:32 AM, Ravenswood said:

Today, instead of a new painted miniature, I offer you a new guide that I made for the  "Mint Dragon's painting school": painting men's faces  based on Johan from Malifaux

Link - https://goo.gl/kXj4dZ

Awesome tutorial. Some errors in colour call outs on a couple pictures on pages 6 and 7 that could use fixing. If you look at the colours used list it isn't too hard to figure out though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sandeep Desai is a very interesting miniature for painting, but terrible for photography. I did not manage to make photos, in which all parts of the miniature look like themselves. Agrrrrrrh!
sandeep_1blog.jpg

sandeep_3blog.jpg

bit more photos in our blog http://serpentarium-painting.blogspot.ru/2017/12/malifaux-monday-67-sandeep-desai.html

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Awesome.

You'll have to let us know how you paint eyes that tiny.

Still cannot wrap my mind (or brush) around that.

Seriously, this.

As phenomenal (and I do mean phenomenal) as all your work is, the separate irises are what may be the most mind-blowing bits of all.

bloodwretch2_1face.jpg

@Seneca, @Wolfpact, so about eyes. Firsty I paint the sclera rough and highlight it. After that I paint the thin dark lines upper and downer the sclera to do it more accurate. Only after the I put the black dot as iris and pupil together and small whote dot as the spark.

A little secret: do not use 00, 000 and 00000 brushes to paint the eyes. They are too tiny and because of that the paint will dry faster than you will paint something. Use 0 or 1 brush with thin tip

• Like 4

Allthough the painting on thoose models are amazing, the post makes me a little bit sad. I had always hoped that the Scion of Black blood actually was a cool model and it was just the painting that made it look bad. But seeing it painted like this I realise that this is as good as it gets. And although the painting is awesome, I still don't like the model. (Which has nothing to do with your painting.)

But the other models look amazing!

12 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Do you paint the skin around the eyes after or before the blacklining?

And could another secret be "years of practice" ;)?

I paint the face first and when paint the eyes. After that I do the final touches and fix the mistakes.

And of course nothing can replace the practice)))