Just because ... 6/23/16

13 minutes ago, Rathnard said:

Titans are mostly just terrain and objective pieces. In fact fluff-wise they're mainly there to hold archived documents while the other units negotiate peace treaties and decide how to split up Germany.

This is going to be the best miniature-based post-war peace negotiation game ever!

Yes, ok, obviously they'll be very important. I mean, can the game be realistically played without them, if somebody wants to do that? These huge models were part of what pushed me away from 40K, so if this game isn't for me then that's fine, but Wyrd are pretty good at making games, so I hope this will be a game I can play.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Guildenstern said:

Makes sense - can't please everyone.

More than that - don't want to please everyone (that currently plays Malifaux). If you have a product and you release another product that pulls people away from your first product, what's really the point? This way they get to appeal to different types of gamers. Less overlap = good!

3 hours ago, tomjoad said:

Yes, ok, obviously they'll be very important. I mean, can the game be realistically played without them, if somebody wants to do that? These huge models were part of what pushed me away from 40K, so if this game isn't for me then that's fine, but Wyrd are pretty good at making games, so I hope this will be a game I can play.

I think Rathnard was being serious :o  At least, it's a funny thought to have a game that is rather anti-expectancy.  A game of diplomacy and treaties :P

I just hope Wyrd is generous with the cross-over models between the new game and Malifaux, so even if people end up not liking it, models are still super awesome and playable :P Or at least if their conversion rules allow for such things, I dunno how Wyrd's policies restrict conversions that don't start from the "original" base model or whatever P:

• Like 2

Lucky looks cool, Arcane has something going for him. Brutal may very well be the worst model for the Guild I have ever seen. The artwork looked cool but in 3D, the pose is just atrocious while the lack of detail on anything but the cage and coffin is astounding. The sword is just.... bad.

The renders of the small Other Side models look great. The titans however.... I agree with Math. Uninspired poses, lack of detail. They look like toy figures. The riders look cool but all I can think of when I look at those titans is this:

tumblr_mzqeme4ZWB1sxcal7o1_500.gif

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dirial said:

Lucky looks cool, Arcane has something going for him. Brutal may very well be the worst model for the Guild I have ever seen. The artwork looked cool but in 3D, the pose is just atrocious while the lack of detail on anything but the cage and coffin is astounding. The sword is just.... bad.

I hope there will be an option to somehow turn his hips a bit to the right.

8 hours ago, Rathnard said:

Titans are mostly just terrain and objective pieces. In fact fluff-wise they're mainly there to hold archived documents while the other units negotiate peace treaties and decide how to split up Germany.

This is going to be the best miniature-based post-war peace negotiation game ever!

Wait, so if I don't get the titans, I'm only allowed to hold a limited number of treaty negotiations? 

That's pretty restrictive. Better get a couple just in case I really need to hold more of those documents

(It also explains why Archivists come with suits of Battle armour, there's no other way Hannah could reach the shelves)

Perhaps it is just me but I really like the way the "The Other Side" figures look, especially the Titans. I respect everyone's differing opinions but if they end up looking "toyish" that is a bonus to me.

Someone else: They look like Toys.

Me: So you mean not only do I get to use them when I wargame but I can use them to kick the crap out of my sons' Paw Patrol and Little Einstein figures when we have our action figure battles?

Someone else: .....

Me: Haha, not amount of Pat-Clapping or Yelping for help will save you now...

[a moment of silence for the fallen pups and grossly unsupervised children of the rocket Rocket]

As Always,
The Grue

• Like 1

Love seeing all the cool previews Nathan posts for us drooling Wyrdos.

The friendly couple from the Other Side look really good, and I like all the little details, such as the hair covering the woman's face except for one crazy eye. The fluff behind those two should be interesting. The titans are hit and miss for me. Hit because they look really cool (I especially like the robot's gun and the monster's face), and miss because I'm not a fan of giant models. In fact, a major reason I left 40k was the decision to supersize all the models. But it makes perfect business sense to use The Other Side to expand Wyrd's customer base rather than simply pulling over people from Malifaux. If the Other Side isn't for me, I'll still have Malifaux and Through the Breach to spend time with.

I can understand the complaints about lack of detail on the fish monster titan, but I'm not in complete agreement. Too much detail tends to make a model too busy, and I think that Wyrd tends to find the nice middle ground between lack of detail and too much detail.  The Brutal and Shadow Emissaries are great examples of having enough detail to keep me interested but not so much gribble that the focal points of the models are obscured. The downside to this feature is that good painting skills are required to really make the model "pop."

The Emissaries are really impressing me! In order of most to least favorite: Brutal, Shadow, Mysterious, Carrion, Lucky, Arcane. I'll certainly be picking up Mysterious for my Neverborn and might grab Brutal or Shadow in the future simply to paint.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The Grue said:

Perhaps it is just me but I really like the way the "The Other Side" figures look, especially the Titans.

It might very well be just you since I don't think that anyone else in this thread has said anything good about them - I think even Nathan dislikes them! ;):P 

(Just teasing - I don't mind that other people like them. In fact it's a good thing that other people like them!)

• Like 2

I think that some people (being generalizing here and not calling anyone out) perhaps wanted them to look close to the same as the Malifaux figures and were "disappointed (placeholder word to encompass all emotions)" when they did not. Beyond different art styles they could hand wave the differences, if they so chose to and did not have to, that Malifaux in a sense permeates everything.

Nature is different, weather is different, even some of the laws of the universe are different. I mean who knows what the soulstone stores are doing to the Mali-earth over there? What havoc is it wreaking to the ecosystem and in doing so perhaps changing how things are being created, used, and encompassed. Has anyone compared wood side by side from Malifaux to Earth? Do livestock grown in one devour the ones in the other if they survive the Breach crossing? How deep are the oceans and what horrible beings of unfathomable madness lurk in those inky depths?

This would cause Malifaux over time to shift slightly in terms of how thinks looked and reacted to the world around them, whereas Earthside, although of the same cloth and universe would have developed differently if ever so slightly, which would achieve the differences in look that we are seeing.

It could also be that it was simpler to make them that way and we should rejoice! I mean we are getting another game system in the world that we all know and love and not many games get that. Most get sequels or expansion and if you did not like the first version you most likely will not like the second or third if they are the same. However, if you change it up to target a different audience we could witness a board surge as more people visit and are enchanted by this world we know as Malifaux.

Again, just my two scrip worth.

As Always,
The Grue

• Like 1

I don't know about the lack of detail concern.  Looking at the rivets, it looks like there's a comparable rivets per model-inch on the titan compared to the the arms of the Peacekeeper.  The details on the sides of the chest (which look like they could be slotted vents) look like they might be suffering from the same sort of "this is supposed to be a boiler style vent, but it's not feasible to model or imply the interior detail" problem that a small steam powered robot can get away with but which causes problems for larger figures like Privateer Press Kraken model where it becomes too big to use to imply detail.  But that's difficult to judge without having more concept art (more than just the image on the preview post card) available to know what the model is trying to depict.

But as far as the non-construct goes, it looks like it has the detail concentration appropriate for a living thing.  I think part of the "that looks like a toy" feeling comes from the fact that the big monstrosity appears similar to the smaller monstrosities.  But since it's not furry or scaled, or riveted, the sort of skin detail that would produce the 'model scale' visual clues are the sort of thing that would be added by paint.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

It might very well be just you since I don't think that anyone else in this thread has said anything good about them - I think even Nathan dislikes them! ;):P 

(Just teasing - I don't mind that other people like them. In fact it's a good thing that other people like them!)

I adore them (because giant stompybots) (...I know, I have a monomania) and still think you have an excellent point about their scale and relative lack of detail, and moreover why it happened*. They don't need to be studded with dozens of rivets as the current peacekeeper is, but a few extra ridges for us less proficient painters to highlight would be very welcome. Time to go back to dotting a peacekeeper with dozens of spots of shining rivet paint, because I have a cue to tell me they should be highlighted. :)

*I'll even wager that the renders of those still look proportionate since there's nothing else sitting beside the render for scale.

• Like 2

I am warming up for The Other Side. The latest spoilers look great. I must... resist... the urge... to buy.

Nathan, if you cared about giving a few hints as to what the game will be, you would have my eternal gratitude :D

_ How many factions are planned inside the game ?

_ Do you have a rough release schedule (nothing bidding, just to get a rough idea)?

_ The spoilers for what I suppose are grunts look very detailed and beautiful As usual with Wyrd's minis, they are very stylish and quite unique. Have you decided a miniature quality/price policy for this game ? Will it be the same as Malifaux in terms of price per mini or something more expensive/cheaper ?

_ If there are units, will there be pose modularity and/or multiplicity or will it be more like some other games where a 10 man unit only has 4 poses and not much conversion possibility?

_ How much can we expect to have to spend to start the game with one faction at a tournament level (eg as if we had 2 Malifaux masters and the flexibility to cover most of the strats & schemes at 50SS with the rest of the minis)?

• Like 2

I assume this question already came up a few times, I apologize, but I'm not really up2date currently ...

Has there already been a release date for "The Other Side"?

Also: as a non-US citizen, will there be any major events or conventions in the near future in the US, where we can assume that a spoiler about the game could be revealed?

Thanks, cheers ;)

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 8:59 PM, The Grue said:

I think that some people (being generalizing here and not calling anyone out) perhaps wanted them to look close to the same as the Malifaux figures and were "disappointed (placeholder word to encompass all emotions)" when they did not. Beyond different art styles they could hand wave the differences, if they so chose to and did not have to, that Malifaux in a sense permeates everything.

Nature is different, weather is different, even some of the laws of the universe are different. I mean who knows what the soulstone stores are doing to the Mali-earth over there? What havoc is it wreaking to the ecosystem and in doing so perhaps changing how things are being created, used, and encompassed. Has anyone compared wood side by side from Malifaux to Earth? Do livestock grown in one devour the ones in the other if they survive the Breach crossing? How deep are the oceans and what horrible beings of unfathomable madness lurk in those inky depths?

This would cause Malifaux over time to shift slightly in terms of how thinks looked and reacted to the world around them, whereas Earthside, although of the same cloth and universe would have developed differently if ever so slightly, which would achieve the differences in look that we are seeing.

It could also be that it was simpler to make them that way and we should rejoice! I mean we are getting another game system in the world that we all know and love and not many games get that. Most get sequels or expansion and if you did not like the first version you most likely will not like the second or third if they are the same. However, if you change it up to target a different audience we could witness a board surge as more people visit and are enchanted by this world we know as Malifaux.

Again, just my two scrip worth.

As Always,
The Grue

You could be right.  Though from my point of view I just don't like them, because I don't like them!  I have no issue with the direction or style being different from Malifaux (in fact I welcome it).  I just don't like those particular models...  Which is perfectly ok.  You are never going to please everybody.  There are a lot of Malifaux models I don't like either, but it hasn't stopped me playing it. 

When more models/art etc are released for t'otherside I may find myself warming towards it.  But at this moment, not for me.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2016 at 6:05 AM, surly said:

I assume this question already came up a few times, I apologize, but I'm not really up2date currently ...

Has there already been a release date for "The Other Side"?

Also: as a non-US citizen, will there be any major events or conventions in the near future in the US, where we can assume that a spoiler about the game could be revealed?

Thanks, cheers ;)

Gencon is coming up in August and I am pretty sure that's the biggest gaming con in the US. Wyrd first has done early releases of all M2E books (including the core rulebook) at Gencon. They also released the first The Other Side teaser at Gencon last year. At the very least the Wave 4 book should be there, and they might have these TOS prototypes on display with a few more answers about the game. There will definitely be Malifaux prereleases, so look forward to that at least :) .

• Like 1