Malifaux International Competitive Extravaganza - May 2017

OldManMyke

Following on from my previous thread I have gone ahead and booked a venue for an International Team Competition.  It will be held on 20-21st May 2017 at the former NWGC - now run by the mighty Element Games.

The address is

Hallam Business Centre
Hallam Street
Stockport
SK2 6PT

It is near to Manchester Airport and major public transport hubs so should be easy for anyone to get to. It will be teams of 5 players and it not limited to 'National' teams.  This should be a celebration of faux and getting bogged down in questions such as 'does so and so count as a country' or 'what happens if we want to enter two teams' just get in the way of us enjoying ourselves.

Tickets will be £100 for a team of 5 and you'll get 5 games of faux over the two days.  They will go on sale soon and are initially limited to 12 teams (i.e 60 players) If there is demand we can increase that to 24 teams.

Once I have written it up I will upload a draft rulespack but rest assured there will be a matchup phase before each round and each team can only have one person playing any one faction in a round.

There will be plenty of tin cups up for prizes but will all be based around the team (so team painting prize, team sports etc.)  

Unsurprisingly this event will NOT be entered into the rankings, its all about the team.

Hopefully this will be of interest to a lot of you and we will see you in May.

This event is now SOLD OUT

Teams coming so far

1. 2G1P
  2. Sweden South
  3. Harogate
  4. Black Jokers
  5. Squigs
  6. Sweden North
  7. Team SCUM
  8. ItalyTeam
  9. Warzone Workshops Own
  10. Team Laundry
  11. Too Much Infaux
  12. Polandball
  13. Team Greg - assume he is just going to play all 5 games simultaneously :)
  14. KFC
  15. Yorkfaux
  16. Team Marcus
  17. Team Suit
  18. Team Travis
  19. Walsall Warriors
  20. Outpost Outcasts (Team Sheffield)
  21. Team Finland
  22. Abnormalfaux
  23. Team Emerald Isle
  24. Team Viking

• Like 2

The draft matchup proceedure, forgive the clumsy language, i will tighten that up for the rulespack but it gives you an idea of how it will all work

Secretly allocate players on your team to each of the five factions that you are going to play this round.

Do NOT reveal what 5 factions you are playing to your opponents.

Each captain should flip a fate card.  Reflip ties.  Highest card can decide to be Team A or Team B

Team A proposes 2 factions for Game 1 e.g. Neverborn and Resurrectionists

Team B picks one of the proposed factions e.g. Resurrectionists and says that it will play one of its factions.  i.e. Guild

The procedure then flips for Game Two and continues until 4 games are matched up. 

The remaining two factions are Game Five

The players of the factions are then revealed

When players get to the tables strats and schemes for each of the tables will be revealed

Each table (1-5) will be using a different set of strats and schemes but all the strats and schemes for all the groups of tables are the same.   i.e. all players on table 5 will be playing the same strats and schemes

Not sure I understand the point of the pairings process - not even knowing the players, I'm not exactly clear what the thinking is vs. the pairings just being random, and would prefer players simply be matched based on their records so that you don't have severe mismatches at the bottom tables.

But a very minor nitpick at what is sure to be an awesome event!

40 minutes ago, jonahmaul said:

Thinking about it more not sure I like the idea that you have to have every faction represented in your group.  What if you don't have a player who plays faction X?  Or what if you all want to rock Ressers/Guild/Arcanists etc?

So don't go?

why must every new idea be met with negativity - dont like it? Organise your own event 

40 minutes ago, jonahmaul said:

Thinking about it more not sure I like the idea that you have to have every faction represented in your group.  What if you don't have a player who plays faction X?  Or what if you all want to rock Ressers/Guild/Arcanists etc?

I guess someone could "take one for the team" and get into a new faction for the event - it's almost a year away!

ill be getting a team together for this - anyone want to join the winning team??

(banter starting early)

joel

5 hours ago, OTP said:

So don't go?

Very helpful, thanks for that.  Your contribution was illuminating. But generally the Malifaux community (and Mike who runs numerous events) tries to be accommodating to everybody and I see this as limiting to people. I'm fortunate that we can form a team (and probably two if everybody gets a pass) with enough factions but plenty of people may not be able to.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, jonahmaul said:

You don't need all factions, you just need to all play a different faction. 

I'm not saying that there aren't groups out there that would struggle to meet this, but they would be in the minority, and most players I know have access to at least 2 factions each. And I personally like the idea that you have to cover a range of factions. means you get a bit of team tactics into it. (and the other obvious restriction is that you'd need to all play the same faction, and that's probably not quite as much fun overall, and probably harder to achieve)

If all your friends want to play Guild and nothing else, then either you need to all find other "friends" to enter this event as a team (there will probably be lots of people tryign to make up teams looking for extras), or this isn't the team event for you. 

1 hour ago, jonahmaul said:

You only need 5 factions represented in your team not all 7.  As to the unique, thats really a stepping stone TBH. My plans if his is successful that in Year 2 it would be 7 player teams with one player per faction

• Like 2

To be honest I can see the concern about the faction thing. Personally it doesn't make any odds to me, but I can see why others would be concerned. 

What does each player needing to bring a different faction actually bring? Personally I'm pretty confident that any faction can play any faction (it'd be pretty rubbish game otherwise). What strategy can you actually think for fielding x against y if they are actually fielding the whole faction and can pick any crew from there? At the moment it kind of feels like this is the choice because it's a way of defining the players without any other information.

As any alternative you could do, say, fixed master. This can mean that there is a bit more decision making in the team stage and allow for more flexibility for people teaming up. 

I will still probably attend regardless and I think it looks like great fun, just trying to help

EDIT: Damn this was hard to word correctly

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Where does it say all of your 5 have to be different? The way I read it you just nominate 5 factions allocated to each player.

eg.

2 x Neverborn (Players A & B )

1 x  Ressurectionist (Player C)

1 x Guild (Player D)

1 x Outcast (Player E)

no?

This is wh its a draft,. Missed the word unique out.  Each team will need to be able to field 5 different factions

On 2016-06-20 at 2:16 PM, OldManMyke said:

Tickets will be £100 for a team of 5 and you'll get 5 games of faux over the two days.  They will go on sale soon and are initially limited to 12 teams (i.e 60 players)  If there is demand we can increase that to 24 teams.

We're a bunch of players from the far north of Sweden who are psyched to go! 

Is it decided when and where the tickets will be released? :)

• Like 1