Resurrectionist Tara vs Sonnia

keeno1979

So tomorrow, my friend and I are having a bit of a grudge match ... we've randomly chosen our factions & leaders and I've been given Tara who is going up against Sonnia.

This is what I'm thinking of taking ...

---

Tara (Knowledge of Eternity, Obliteration Symbiote)

Bishop (as Mercenary)

Rotten Belles (x3)

Madame Sybelle

Karina + Faces of Oblivion

43 Stones so Far

---

You can probably tell what I'm planning to do here, but I have a good 7 stones left (if I don't pad out my cache) and wondered what you would suggest to add in to combat Sonnia.

Not list building advice but here is something to remember.

Tara is WP 5. She gets +2 wp vs casting. However, on Sonia's activation, when Sonia declares her attack Tara is WP 5 so Sonia doesn't get + flips on her attacks for Tara being wp 6 or higher. 

But if memory serve Sonia's CA attacks are defended with DF, so Tara will be Def 7 at the time of the defence flip. 

Anyhow, point being Sonia doesn't get + attack flips vs Tara.

• Like 1

Yeah drop at least one belle and replace it with a nurse,  nurses are really good, i have one in every list, a fast bishop with +2 damage to Ml attacks is deadly. I'd recommend maybe dropping a second belle for something else,  1 should be enough unless your opponent has a habit of focusing belles. I'd also think about dropping Sybelle, i don't think she's worth her points outside Seamus or Molly. Maybe take the emissary to speed up your crew and block LoS, give Sonnia a taste of her own medicine. 

I would advise against a belle spam list if you’re going against Sonnia. In order to get the most out of their pounces, they will all need to bunch up within an inch of one another which is what Sonnia wants in order to get her blasts off. Additionally, while their range is long and their casts are good, they need line of sight in order to be effective, which Sonnia and her Austringer friends do not need. If you really want to run it though, I’d give Sybelle the Not Too Banged Up upgrade to get them into melee faster.

I’ve never found Karina to be very useful, even with her upgrade. Might just be bad luck on my part, but I would probably just switch her out for a scheme runner. If you really want a summoner, you could always bring Phillip for some card cycling to try to get her the high crows she needs. Or you could just bring Toshiro, since he’s better than Karina.

Bishop could be good. I would recommend taking the Dead of Winter upgrade on Tara and replacing a belle with a Death Marshal if you want to run him though. That would allow you to bury him with the DM and at the end of the turn unbury him, pulse fast on him and his target, and chain activate into him to get 6 attacks (double flurry) defended against WP-2 (from dead of winter).

As mentioned, Bete is really good with Resser Tara since she starts buried giving her extra ammo for her Tara bombing. She can also be a good deterrent to killing models, as sometimes you really don’t want an 8” charge enforcer popping out of a scheme runner.

If you do bring the Dead of Winter upgrade, it opens up a lot of willpower chicanery which I think is Resser Tara’s advantage over Outcast Tara. -2 to willpower can make it much harder to resist the Nurse’s paralyze and all of the terrifying models that the Ressurectionists have, in addition to beefing up Bishop.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I’ve not played Tara in a while and never had the best of luck running her (she was my first foray into miniature games and not a super beginner friendly master in my opinion) so a lot of this is just a hypothesis.

Thank you @CactusEmperor, that was really appreciated!

Currently i'm looking along the lines of something like this ...

Tara
Bishop
Toshiro the Daimyu / Bete Noir
Karina + Faces of Oblivion
Rotten Belle
Death Marshall
Void Wretches

However I thought that Tara giving Bishop a whack at the beginning of Turn 1 for FAST would be more guaranteed than the pulse effect?

This way (hopefully) I can summon some Horrors with Karina, who then bury themselves before being unleashed into the enemies deployment.

1 hour ago, Wifstrand said:

I'm surprised to see Resurrectionist players run Tara without most of the contents of her starter box, but I'm very new. Does she not need the Nothing Beast and the Void Wretches?

Tara is what I call "Crew Neutral." Her themed crew isn't that great in Ressers, and everyone loves Fast, so take big beaters (with assorted scheme runners/utility to taste) and then hand out fast/taxi rides like candy.

4 hours ago, valhallan42nd said:

BTW, Void Wretches are gold in Outcast, as they're one of the best scheme runners they have. Necropunks and Crooligans are better in ressers

Agreed, if you aren't going the low card count hand style I would also recommend crooligans over void wretches.

2 hours ago, Wifstrand said:

So the Tara box will work reasonably well with my Seamus box+McMourning box+Bete Noir+a few other things? At least in the sense that most things work equally well with her.

The contents of the Tara box aren't very appealing to any other resur masters. Tara is fine though and you can build solid lists using her box contents, death marshals and one other 10ss-ish cost model (I stand behind this 100%).

I'd move Decaying Aura over to Bishop, he is more equipped to deal with Soulstone users I find (disclaimer: I am not a fan of Bete so I'm biased in that regard)

Running your list through CrewFaux I think you are using either KoE or OS as the other upgrade but I don't know which direction you are taking the crew. Fast bishop is good but without KoE you won't have a way to unbury him until something is killed. Without OS you won't get Fast Bishop.

If Bete starts the game buried you'll be down an activation and Tara will be unable to bury anything. If the Lone Marshal buries himself at the end of his activation Tara wouldn't be able to bury anything on her second activation (assuming Bete had popped out by this point) 

Death Marshal is there to help burying but if he buries Bishop, he is just acting as a taxi service unless Tara is taking KoE to allow her to pop Bishop out again. 

Void wretch are great scheme runners but if you are not dumping cards out of your hand (Fast pulse) then they can be smacked about easily as they will have a low def. 

I'd add OS (I think you're taking KoE) and upgrade each of the wretches to Necropunks.