Well ...crap ..

On 6/22/2016 at 2:52 PM, MetaphoricDragn said:

Isn't McMourning basically already this?

Also I really like the earlier idea of Seiryu, Byakko, and Suzaku as alternate ancestor models to join Genbu.  Though shadow emissary may already qualify for Seiryu.

True. Though instead I would say hes more of a Kōryū.

Ideally I would like the other three to be in the same anthropomorphic style of Genbu, and the emissary is not that. I would think something more along the lines of Onaga from Mortal Kombat or Shendu from Jackie Chan Adventures.

I think it'd be cool to do an alternates crew box based on the old classic horrors : i.e. Wolfman, The Mummy, Frankenstein, Creature from the black lagoon, Dracula etc. 

I think you could do this easily with many crew boxes but this is just a fun example - McMourning crew:  Frankenstein - Flesh construct; Dr. McMourning - Van Helsing; Dracula - Sebastian; Wolfman - Zombie chihuahua (a tiny wolfman would be hilarious); Nurse 1 - Mummy/Mommy; Nurse 2 - Creature from Black Lagoon  or Bride of Frankenstein?

• Like 1

med_gallery_28116_5_193258.jpg

Exibit A - From left to right miniature ordered by number - 1. Nurse - Replace the massive syringe with an Anhk;  2. Chihuahua - Remove the hand  and add muscles to the under belly; 3. McMourning -  replace the pocket of tools with a pocket of stakes/crosses. Have him holding the head as if just decapitated. ; 4. Sebastian -  remove the bone saw and have his arm pulling a cape over his face. ; 5. Flesh Construct - This one is too obvious to bother mentioning; 6. Nurse - Give her a beehive hairdo and you're golden. 

I think it'd be cool to do an alternates crew box based on the old classic horrors : i.e. Wolfman, The Mummy, Frankenstein, Creature from the black lagoon, Dracula etc. 

That soaks up a lot of potential "gothic-horror" and "victorian-horror" monsters that could be broken up over a number of crews, We've already seen Frankenstein and his monster, In theory the blood drinking element means we have seen something similar to Dracula in Lilith and juju is the creature from the black lagoon...or close enough.

The wolfman we know is coming at some stage since we've seen it referenced in through the breach, I wager we will eventually see an egyptian feeling crew but you could almost argue these two have also been covered by Myranda/Blessed and McCabe respectively...but we'll see I suppose.

The one thing that I always wondered about was if there were oceans on the Malifaux side of the Breach. I know that oceans were touched upon in Obliteration's realm during the "Tara" saga but I thought it would be interesting to do them outside of that void realm.

You could have it that during the first foray into the Breach some settlers and possibly a Guild contingent (because Guild is awesome) headed out into the badlands to find a far reaching post to build a frontier town. They went out searching for a new trade route, a new Soulstone mining location, etc.

They came across a vast ocean and decided to venture out into it. They sent messengers back to tell people what they found but the messengers never made it and when the search parties came across the mangled, mostly eaten corpse of the messenger on the edge of the badlands they decided to not go any further. This could explain why no one else has really traversed very far out into the badlands beyond the frontier towns and the trappers.

Once the ship(s) were finished they went out and sailed these Malifauxian seas in search of adventure and profit. They could have found it and found new and exciting creatures and locations which would allow for radically different models as Malifaux is mostly a dry landlocked area versus what you would see in coastal or island nations/ natives/ inhabitants. Perhaps there are native pirates out scavenging these newcomers to their watery realms or perhaps some of the ships were taken over by angry sailors or convicts and resorted to buccaneering to make do.

We would assume from their distant voyages that they perhaps made it through the initial purge of Malifaux and have been living and thriving on the sea. Co-mingling and cross breeding between the sailors and the local populace could have happened resulting in halfbreeds and whole new nations or allegiances. That and this group and all the generations down would have only known the original world and system before the purge and how Earth has changed since the closing of the great Breach and if they were to come across the citizens and factions of Malifaux of today's standards they might not be a copacetic as they once would have been.

The original members of the Guild that branched out would be structured off of the old Guild ways combined with their hard life on the sea and the unwavering discipline it would take. They would form the bulk of what would be a Navy and be the dominant force on the waves.

The Arcanists aboard or the ones that survived/ blossomed on the journey and subsequent years would be a hired force that was Merc'd out to the captains and pirates.

The Resurrectionists would be the chirurgeons and play their work the same as the Arcanists but in keeping the slave rowing force/ slave force in workable conditions. They could also have their own scourge fleets where they venture out and pillage to increase their stores.

The Ten Thunders could have a breach on an island chain, but it could be from a group not loyal or connected to the Oyabun so their influence would not necessarily be felt. Their fast skimmers and tight control over their sovereign waterways would force the Guild and any other vessel to pay the toll or find themselves added to the drink.

The Outcasts would be your normal mercs but to give them flavor and separate them from the Arcanists and Resurrectionists you could give them more advance shippery (Patent Pending word there) and they could have sort of like a Jules Verne/ Captain Nemo vibe with subs and steamships. They would be the monster hunters of the deep on the surface but the only ones who would know the true terrors slumbering below and trying desperately to keep them sated/ asleep.

The Gremlins could be a water-based faction, eschewing dry land to more of an amphibious life. They would congregate on floating atolls of flotsam and jetsam that drifts out in the vast expanse of the sea. Whenever one of these "Grembarges" came close enough to a settlement or a ship they would ship out and attack at night or in the open, alas they are Gremlins in nature, and rip it to shreds and bring the choice bits back to add to their makeshift islands. They would most likely venerate the terrors below as gods and you could have different tribes based on what different types of terrors you called for.

The Neverborn would be based off of these terrors, sort of the same way they were from the Tyrants (although I know not really) but they are the progeny that does not want to lose their grip on this tasty stew of fleshy bodies with their tan jerkified skin. You could have different breeds based off of a singular lineage or have them look like the evolutionary path that split when some grew purple fur and took to flight, this group developed fins or flippers, groping suction cups and milky tentacles. Their black blood could be a version of an octopuses/ squids ink and they could use it at range or in cloud attacks.

Like I mentioned, if there are no oceans that is fine and understandable. Malifaux could be in a dyson sphere for all we know. Just my thoughts on this growing thread.

Let me know what you think.

As Always,
The Grue

• Like 1

Wyrd was a miniature company before there was a game to make them part of. Vasyl was one of the minis that never made it into the game if I'm remembering right. He came out at the same time the original Taelor came I believe? Sometime around 2006?

I personally would like to see the troupe of the child vampire, but that's just me. Favorite part of the Interview with the Vampire movie and books was the little girl vampire, especially when she got jaded and realized she had the mind and experiences of an adult, but would never get the experiences of one because she would forever be a child.

• Like 1

Bound by Law as the Emperors New Clothes.  The Guild Lawyers can be the Weavers, The scribe the boy who see's thru it, or maybe holding a mirror.  Captain Dashel the executioner. Guild Guardsmen just daring you to say anything.  And of course Lucius just in a mask. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Grue said:

The one thing that I always wondered about was if there were oceans on the Malifaux side of the Breach. I know that oceans were touched upon in Obliteration's realm during the "Tara" saga but I thought it would be interesting to do them outside of that void realm.

Malifaux's coastline can be reached at the end of the Bayou, should anyone make it that far. Occasionally things from down below make their way through the swamp, and even occasionally upriver to snatch an unsuspecting citizen. And some of the denizens of Malifaux's oceans are seen in the artwork for The Other Side. I imagine we'll be learning more about them in the future.

12 hours ago, Wakshaani said:

I'm still curious when we'll get our first vampires. Once they enter, everything tend sto bend that-a-way, but, eventually, you kinda hafta.

Mind you, I'm also waiting for us to get some proper werewolves up in the Arcanists. Marcus! Lead the howl!

Well Yin is the Malaysian version of a vampire, the Penanggalan

Yan Lo is Chinese I believe and may be a Jiang Shi

Though we don't have the common European vampire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, easily_mused said:

Bound by Law as the Emperors New Clothes.  The Guild Lawyers can be the Weavers, The scribe the boy who see's thru it, or maybe holding a mirror.  Captain Dashel the executioner. Guild Guardsmen just daring you to say anything.  And of course Lucius just in a mask. 

I had REPRESSED those memories of those illustrations, thank you for nothing! :angry:

(My childhood copy of fairy tales had been illustrated in the '70s. It was...a different time. A different aesthetic. A different, bulbous, pasty white aesthetic. A different, really rather warped aesthetic.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I had REPRESSED those memories of those illustrations, thank you for nothing! :angry:

(My childhood copy of fairy tales had been illustrated in the '70s. It was...a different time. A different aesthetic. A different, bulbous, pasty white aesthetic. A different, really rather warped aesthetic.)

Brings new meaning to Nightmare Edition boxes.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2016 at 5:16 AM, Wakshaani said:

I'm still curious when we'll get our first vampires. Once they enter, everything tend sto bend that-a-way, but, eventually, you kinda hafta.

Mind you, I'm also waiting for us to get some proper werewolves up in the Arcanists. Marcus! Lead the howl!

Lelu has a vampiric bite, which heals him. Not sure if thats counts as close enough.