Well ...crap ..

10 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Fine, we'll up the ante then on the 'something for everyone' box: a hula girl (with lei, without top), a cabana boy (same, and add drink in a hollowed-out pineapple), and a flesh-construct-esque hulking undead in a little spangly dress, sporting a lovely pair of coconuts. :huh:

I think you need to add an octopus playing a ukulele and wearing sunglasses for all the beast lovers out there. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Solicitor 6 said:

I think you need to add an octopus playing a ukulele and wearing sunglasses for all the beast lovers out there. 

Also, the hula girl is an alt-tengu scheme marker hopping type, the cabana boy is an alt-Guild-pathfinder so I can drop mixed drinks shots traps and make the walk duels more interesting, the undead hula girl is an alt-Ten-Thunders-Brother, and the octopus is an alt-Dawn-Serpent.:P

I'd *much* rather see people puffing cigarettes as opposed to vaping; the water used in those comes from the dead rivers in China, where the water's unfit for anything. (Heavy metal toxins, general pollution, *nothing* lives in that water anymore and it's useless for industrial use now as there's so much metal residue that it destroys machinery) ... but, the industry's completely unregulated, so you can put anything in the things that you want and have to make no disclosures. (It's akin to the nutritional supplement industry, which is neither food nor drug, so has *zero* regulation. You can fill up a whole jug with salt, label it "MUSCLE POWER 9001!" and there's not a law in the land that can touch you. But I digress.)

Vape stuff will kill you worse than tobacco will, and considering my grandmother died due to horrific cancer cause by a lifetime of dipping and snuff, well, that's saying something.

Pivoting back to gamefoo now.

Depends on how left field you want to get. I mean, we still need some Native Americans out in the mix, probably via the Nerverborn, but that's not terribly wacky. You can throw in flying saucers and Grays for truly oddball stuff. :) 

We know that there have been mini-breaches in the past, and that continue to open, so, you can draw from all kinds of cultural stuff for touchstones. Mongols, for instance, or Roman Legionairres (And, honestly, a bunch of Gremlins lead by "Sieze'r", forming up proper shieldwalls and grousing about how chaotic the other Gremlins are while trying to assemble some proper roads around their central colleseum base (With stone wayerways, natch!) has an appeal all its own.) ... for contemporary-ish eras, you still have the tail end of Napoleon (wave the banner of the Powder Wars, mon ami!) so some French soldiers, complete with cannons, would be fun. A bit too late for Spanish Conquistadors, unless the Ressers get a Master who discovered the Fountain of Immortality and can conjure up the spirits and bones of the fallen to march.

Going back to the box sets, switching Hoffman's "Of Metal and Flesh" to "The Fabrege Empire" lets you bring in a Russian Noble, with clockwork tigers (hunters0, clockwork bear (Guardian), and clockwork goose (watcher), with a Frabrege Egg-styled mechanical attendant. (They're here for Rasputina, of course.)

Back to the era... the Boxer Rebellion is around this time frame, so works, and of course Prussia ... why don't we have any Prussians? Cool helmets, chest full of medals, AWESOME facial hair ... everybody loves Prussian military forces!  The Wizard of Oz drops here, so there's a whole pile of awesome stuff to draw from (who doesn't love Steampunk Dorothy?) and the Pair World Exposition (old name for the World's Fair) also gives us the modern Olympics. We still don't have any airships, and at the worst, we need a flying Gremlin, Baron Grem von Zepplin, flying about and causing trouble. Heck, you could even start a Prohibition movement, with a bunch of Gremlins out to break up moonshiners and smash down any Wiskey Golemns that they can find, one ax at a time. (Also, we need Whiskey Gamin. Just whiskey barrels with tiny feet, stubby arms, and googly eyes. It'd be fantastic!)

Come on, tell me that you wouldn't want to see this:

Lips-that-touch-liquor.jpg

... done up Gremlin style.

• Like 1

My suggestion for twisted alternatives:

Mr Graves and Sgt Dashel as Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

They kind of look the same. I always wondered if this was vaguely intended because Graves is a Mimic after all.

Bonus: You could actually use both models together in Lucius crews.  

On Vaping:

I don't vape myself but I see it as a good thing. It's a cleaner alternative to smoking for people who want a nicotine hit. I think people can be afraid of a 'techno fix', because they are suspicious of anything that solves a problem (ie, the life destroying impact of tobacco smoking) which is easy. Humans tend to be programmed to think that doing the right thing should be hard and involve suffering. You see a lot of these same arguments when you talk about things like climate change too...

Baseball'd be the natural fit. Heck, Masikari's already almost in a pitching pose. Call the team the "Ten Lumbers" for the bats they carry (winkwink) and you're halfway there. Malifaux Guild Stockings for the other team and, next thing you know, you can create a spinoff game.

Also, I'm kind of on board with a "Gremfederate Army", commanded by General Twee. Yee Hawgs and all that!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Alt's, well we can do that stuff all do, but not quite what I was going on about Twisted Alternatives. Looking for something a bit more out of Left Field so to speak visually on these things instead of just doing something like a Miss or Mr. model. 

Out of the left field, you say...

Gremlin Cockriders!

I can't believe I'm actually posting this!

Somebody stop me!

I blame the chocolate cupcakes my wife and daughters made me!

Eating at the moment!

Delicious cupcakes!

• Like 9

Pirate Themed Gremlins: Pigapult (cannon), Ophelia (jack sparrow kinda feel), Somer (Blackbeardish), Give pirate hats instead of western hats, Give Franc a sword and pistol (swashbuckler), Would make sense background wise with them recklessing and the like.

Merlin / King Arthur themed Yan'Lo or even Sonnia. Just brainstorming. Make Izamu / Witch handler a knight, just give most things a medieval makeover.

I'll add more as I think of stuff...

I always thought Ms. #12 was an early take on Bete Noire, but either way, it'd be great to finally see her as a model. Perhaps Mr. 13 there could be an alt Nico?

5 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Not all that alternative but would probably sell like hotcakes: a 'something for everyone' mixed pack of alternative belles/performers/beckoners/oiran (with stat cards for any of these) with different aesthetics.

Seconded. Since these models are such staples, more variety in sculpts is always a good thing.

Lastly, how about remaking the original metal Ronin in plastic as alternative sculpts? The metal ones were among the models that got me interested in this game.

• Like 1

@Nathan Caroland Fortunately I copypasted your post to our local Maifaux chat)

Just because I've been getting an extreme amount of enjoyment reading the speculations back and forth on Wave 3 (Shifting Loyalties) and Wave 4 (Ripples of Fate) ... and I'm in a sharing mood. Sort of. 

Everything from Wave 3 has been tooled and is either in house, or will be shortly. That includes all the Emissaries, etc, which I have to admit are rather neat to have in hand. I'm particularly fond of the Gremlin Wheel of Pig Death just because. 

Everything from Wave 4 has been sculpted for some several months, and not a small amount of it has already begun making its way to tooling layout and CNC. No, I won't tell you what will or won't be available at Gencon this year, but I suspect most everyone will be pleased. I've been staring at the books to be released there for a couple of days now. 

This years Miss miniature I got a particular tickle over just because it's different. Some may like it, some may hate it, others might just give a big ol' meh. It does involve a penny-farthing though, that much I'll hint at. 

And the Nightmare Edition for this year is pretty damn fun. Ya'll forced us to really stretch our minds on this one I have to admit as we went back and forth for a solid two months on what the hell we were going to do since we were pigeonholed into the Guild, and it either all came out as too obvious or just not interesting enough. Rather curious to see how well it goes over to be honest ... I know I got a big smile out of it and had to make manly grunting noises ala Tool Time. 

This years packaging will come with a warning for all of you that cringe at the sight of Yan Lo's beard and cry at the thought of gremlin feet. Fair warning, you will be mocked and ridiculed for coming to the forums crying about it, and you'll get a virtual bro-fist for putting it together and surviving it without PTSD. Yes, we can be sadists. Hell, I think I need to have Alex make up a new forum symbol for folks to have for display under their username for this thing ...

And lastly, yes, we're going to do more Malifaux Twisted Alternatives as I personally enjoyed them. Yes they are going to be most likely in PVC and pre-assembled. Some of you love them, some of you hate them, that's fine - don't buy if you don't like as I always say. But, the reason I bring it up is that if you've got suggestions that y'all want to toss out there, I'm all ears. The fellas have a few that they've been playing with, and I've been hymning and hawing over a few others, but if you make a suggestion that just captures my fancy, I'll make certain that you get a goodie package of a couple of them free by way of thanks for the imagination bump. 

And yes I post this all now because everyone has left for Origins and I'm alone in the office (everyone ELSE took holiday) and no one can stop me or 'suggest' different wording. Hah!

• Like 7

BTW, whoever suggested this one, thanks - I had forgotten about her. 

That was me, my girlfriend loves that image, it's the one model she's wanted to see in Malifaux since I first tried to interest her in the game 4 years ago.
In the mean time she's accepted the dark carnival and Pandora as substitutes, soon to add Reva to that list.

I'm meant to be converting a Pandora crew to have an Addams Family theme for her, I've been working on that in drips and drabs for at least 2 years and it's still not complete.
Still maybe if she played the game more often...

• Like 1

Nathan, you with yous attitude towards gaming community set up an example of how game development must be done.

It is what got me into this game and into Henchmaning.

I suggest Twisted Seven- based on "good old" visual archetypes instead of  "evil satanic" 80's and beyond. Elvis, Bob Marley, Janice Joplyn, little yellow submarine as Envy and the like.

11 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Avatars aren't likely to happen for the same reason we didn't do them in the first place. Tons of costs associated there for each master. 

Alt's, well we can do that stuff all do, but not quite what I was going on about Twisted Alternatives. Looking for something a bit more out of Left Field so to speak visually on these things instead of just doing something like a Miss or Mr. model. 

A few ideas in here that get some mental juices going 'hrmm' though perhaps. 

And I was so interesting and snuff, snus and other tobacco products too .. (sigh). 

BTW, to take this completely a different direction - I have to ask - what the hell is up with vaping folks? I know there are a fair number on here that do it because I've seen you at some shows I've attended, so I won't go out of my way to actually write what I really feel on the subject (particularly that puff the magic dragon crap). I don't mind folks taking a pull here and there in order to try and cut the habit, but it seems as if it has become its whole new 'addiction' and seeing these folks suck on them all day, or try and fill an intersection up with smoke from a car that looks like it could be on fire with the amount of smoke coming out of it, just has me shaking my head. I'd almost rather see you pulling on a cigarette instead. 

Avatar models might not be doable, but I would love to one day get a look at any concept art that was put together for the 1.5 Henchman and Storm of Shadows avatars.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Avatars aren't likely to happen for the same reason we didn't do them in the first place. Tons of costs associated there for each master.

Can someone point me to a more in-depth explanation on this one? I'm sure it's been discussed to death before, but I'd like to know more.

13 hours ago, Wakshaani said:

I'd *much* rather see people puffing cigarettes as opposed to vaping; the water used in those comes from the dead rivers in China, where the water's unfit for anything. (Heavy metal toxins, general pollution, *nothing* lives in that water anymore and it's useless for industrial use now as there's so much metal residue that it destroys machinery) ... but, the industry's completely unregulated, so you can put anything in the things that you want and have to make no disclosures.

I find this extremely unlikely. What is your source on this?

13 hours ago, Wakshaani said:

(It's akin to the nutritional supplement industry, which is neither food nor drug, so has *zero* regulation. You can fill up a whole jug with salt, label it "MUSCLE POWER 9001!" and there's not a law in the land that can touch you. But I digress.)

This is simply wrong. The law requires that you'd label its ingredients.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I find this extremely unlikely. What is your source on this?

This is simply wrong. The law requires that you'd label its ingredients.

Possibly i difference between the US and EU?

But otherwisr largely true, if you label the ingredients with latin/scientific names most people will be none the wiser. And there's absolutely no evidence of MOST dietary supplements having ANY positive effect on your health (one study on antioxidants in Denmark had to be stopped because the test persons getting the supplement kept dying!). Note that what gets classified as what may be different in different countries. According to Norwegian health authorities there's absolutely no evidence any supplements on the market have any benefits, except to remedy any medically established deficiencies  (ie iron/folate during pregnancies etc). Given different classifications in different countries it might be different elsewhere...

19 minutes ago, tmod said:

Possibly i difference between the US and EU?

No, both places have a requirement that you list the ingredients in supplements.

19 minutes ago, tmod said:

But otherwisr largely true, if you label the ingredients with latin/scientific names most people will be none the wiser. And there's absolutely no evidence of MOST dietary supplements having ANY positive effect on your health (one study on antioxidants in Denmark had to be stopped because the test persons getting the supplement kept dying!). Note that what gets classified as what may be different in different countries. According to Norwegian health authorities there's absolutely no evidence any supplements on the market have any benefits, except to remedy any medically established deficiencies  (ie iron/folate during pregnancies etc). Given different classifications in different countries it might be different elsewhere...

AFAIK you can claim whatever you want about the effects of the product in the US. Possibly you ought to include a fine-print that this effect hasn't been scientifically proven or else you might get sued, I suppose. But you need to have the ingredients listed. If it is 100% salt, your list of ingredients has to read: "Salt".

17 hours ago, Wakshaani said:

Baseball'd be the natural fit. Heck, Masikari's already almost in a pitching pose. Call the team the "Ten Lumbers" for the bats they carry (winkwink) and you're halfway there. Malifaux Guild Stockings for the other team and, next thing you know, you can create a spinoff game.

Also, I'm kind of on board with a "Gremfederate Army", commanded by General Twee. Yee Hawgs and all that!

Basebrawl.  Why not as the market for violent forms of popular sports is not too crowded (Blood Bowl and Guild Ball are all I can think of).  And going with old-timey baseball is right for the feel and era of Malifaux. 

I would guess it's a little more difficult to work with modern movies and more recent IP than it is older myths and folklore like the Tortoise and the Hare. I liked what you did with the first set because it took a pretty unique approach. The tortoise & hare was a starting place, but then they went completely different directions, which is interesting. You could certainly tap into a huge variety of folklore, myths, or old literature for inspiration. I would enjoy things like:

Beowulf (with maybe a Nekima as Grendel's mother and a mature as Grendel). I don't know who would be Beowulf to stand up to that. Might have to be an alt Lady J with a few pals. 

Robin Hood might be a fun one to use if perhaps your twisted alternative game is an archery contest. 

Childe Rowland (could Ashes & Dust be the Dark Tower). 

The 3 billy goats gruff could be fun. Hmm, what about the billy goats as nephilim stages? I don't know who the troll would be here though. 

Hansel & Gretel? 

I don't know where you tie it in, but I would love to see an alt envy that's a banksy  anarchist throwing a molotov cocktail!  

• Like 4