Bayou Board

kelrodin

Hi all - I'm in the process of putting together a bayou-themed board. Here's the draft:

MIgcaFM.jpg

H4VUSXJ.jpg

The base layer (blue) is water, cork blobs and other (green) is land, other stuff (red) is other terrain chunks/trees/cover/etc.

The cork layer gets glued to a wood base, everything else is fluid terrain pieces to be set up per game.

Thoughts/questions/comments/concerns?  

• Like 2

I think the wood looked a little better before you made it green.  Maybe apply a brown glaze and then a brown wash?  Everything brown you made green, everything green you made brown.  Just my initial thoughts but it seems overly green (over 90%), and it gives me a kind of St. Patrick's Day-ish vibe.

The colors are meant to highlight the terrain types; actual coloring won't be as....colorful?

The green/cork bits don't represent special terrain, just flat normally-traversable land.

This is kind of what I'm going for. A multitude of little islands riddled with waterways:

bog-001.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

It looks really good. I would recommend playing a few games on it before you start to finalise. It can be hard to guess how having a lot of difficult terrain like that will affect the game and playtesting can let you identify problem areas (like sniper...islands) that wouldn't be immediately apparent from just looking at the board.

You seem to have it pretty well thought out with the smallish channels and variety of bridges, but it would be a pain to find out after painting everthing up that you'd made a particular corner too hard to get to for Power Ritual or didn't have a good space for Guard the Stash (for instance). 

Thanks! I ended up gluing the cork down, pretty much in the configuration pictured above.

The base is going to come with a box of terrain bits and bobs, so it'll be up to the TO to make sure everything's fair :)

EDIT: some update shots

Cork glued down. Had a few almost-empty bottles of Titebond, used Titebond.

NfAHqQq.png

And primed. Used some kind of "high-hide" primer from the usual hardware store, whatever was cheap and water-based.
PROTIP: if the can of white paint says "tintable," they'll add a splash of pigment for free, hence grey primer.

iCaNg1Z.jpg

• Like 1

Further updates: 

leftover cork powder glued down for texture

K99NT5R.jpg

Painted black, then progressively added greens.

vXWEsrh.jpg

YzzLlgY.jpg

Water effects applied. Had juuuuust enough left in the bottle to at least get the water parts glossy. Anything suitable from the basing box was sprinkled on. Better pix on non-potato to come.

oWAGZdo.jpg

• Like 2