June 13 - Parker Barrows

Lucidicide

Next Master  

380 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Absolution Black said:

But saying that you could also put him in a lineup with pistoleros, guild guard, freikorps etc and he would fit right in. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but it doesn't necessarily scream master to me.

Without knowing the fluff etc it's hard to make a judgement on whether the sculpt really reflects it. Yes he looks bandit like but still a bit bland for me. It's all subjective anyway, if you like it fair enough.

I just think the cape is too much. Just my opinion though.

Yeah, I can see that. I've kinda always felt the same way about a number of the older crews. If you didn't already know who was who, or see the artwork where the intended master was front and center on the box, would you necessarily know that Perdita, etc. was the master? When you break it down they're mostly just humans doing human stuff like pointing guns or waving hands or swords, we just happen to know Perdita's story. Our opinion of these new guys can't help but be skewed by the lack of the spice of backstory and the context of the other models in the crewbox, usually towards the bland side. Ramos by himself.. guy waving his hand. Ramos with Howard and mecha-spiders all around? Head of the MSU? Now that's something to look into.

Maybe the cape can be toned down somehow, for those that prefer. Looks like he needs unnecessarily big movie explosions going off all around him right now.

• Like 1

Obvious call back to Clint Eastwoods roles in spaghetti westerns with a twist to include a Bonnie & Clyde who some forget had the last names Parker&Barrows. 

Overall I am liking the angle of a pure bandit master for Outcasts. It seemed to be a missing wheel in the world. The sculpt is pretty cool, it feels much more spaghetti western which will look great in an array of earth tones. 

• Like 3

While the model looks nice, I'm a little bit dissapointed that we got another dual-revolver master (since Perdita and Ophelia already covers that). I'm very curious to see the back of his card and his upgrades though, to see what he actually can do. The front of the card gave some hints, althoug more vague ones.

3 hours ago, SlackerLM said:

Why has no one yet made mention to the fact that it is an obvious tribute to the Eastwood character in the classic Spaghetti western trilogy of Fistfull of Dollars, For a few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly? So now I have to buy another box and then the seperate models 

Hmm? He doesn't remind me one bit of the protagonist of the dollars trilogy. I mean he wears completely different clothes, has two guns instead of one, isn't chewing on a cigarr. The name is hardly it as the character is variously referred to as Joe, Manco, and Blondie in the films and "The Man with no Name" in the promotional material. That leaves us with the name of a single ability.

If he'd had a poncho instead of a cloak he might have been interesting looking...

• Like 1

Shame the character isn't female. When I heard the name I thought it was a reference to Parker from Leverage. Iike the ability in concept, but outside of playing against Colette I see that ability being potentially way too good, depending on what's on the back of that card. Being able to take away up to 4 enemy scheme markers ( and thus invalidating all the AP spent getting the scheme marker there for the opposing player) and add them to your own pile, with the minor repositioning, all for no AP, suit requirements, or TN seems really good to me. Really hope I'm wrong about it or somethi on the back makes that make more sense to me.

4 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Shame the character isn't female. When I heard the name I thought it was a reference to Parker from Leverage. Iike the ability in concept, but outside of playing against Colette I see that ability being potentially way too good, depending on what's on the back of that card. Being able to take away up to 4 enemy scheme markers ( and thus invalidating all the AP spent getting the scheme marker there for the opposing player) and add them to your own pile, with the minor repositioning, all for no AP, suit requirements, or TN seems really good to me. Really hope I'm wrong about it or somethi on the back makes that make more sense to me.

Well, they might not exactly be useful markers if you switch them over to yours, I guess?  And once they are yours, you can't place any new ones near them, by normal means.  So that might be the "Draw back" I guess?

But I can certainly see how that would be a kick in the teeth for someone trying to accomplish a Scheme strat with him nearby.  But there has always been Masters that excel at denying certain Schemes, hasn't there?  I guess this is a bit bigger of a swath of schemes that he trumps, if that works that way though.

Would have been interesting if he ended up being female, might defy the arch-type of bandit a bit much in common perspective.  Especially since I'm not imagining someone who is constantly "Going through their pockets" is a very wholesome dude.  Not that females have to be wholesome, but the only "cowboy"-esque bandito-style characters I can think of were those two girls in that movie, Banditas.  Plus he'd she'd be creeping on Perdita's style reaaallll hard at that point :P  Hell, I think the only thing that stops the Ortegas from being wanted criminals is that they happen to hate the Neverborn enough that the guild sanctions their hunting of them (Note* I know nothing about the story, especially the established story I have full access to), unless I'm... wrong about that?

As for this Parker fellow, I'm ok with it.  I guess I get the whole "covered face" and everything motif from being a criminal sort (And hiding identity), but I feel sort of cheated.  I guess it's almost a good thing though, because if his face was exposed people would be able to complain about not looking enough like Clint Eastwood (Or Lee Van Cleef, the clearly superior Outlaw) :P

As for the one guy who said gun-slingers can look cool without the two gun-style.  I guess, but models are static, so it's hard to have the same sort of "cool" that badasses who quick-draw put front and center.  And I doubt I'd be inspired by a guy fanning the hammer over a guy spinning around shooting in every direction.

You know what, I'm suddenly upset this guy isn't more like Christian Bale, I mean, does this Parker guy even know Gunkata?

Man, I've been wrong about just about every one of my predictions...

that said, I am curious about why this is "outcast" exactly, it feels very "guild" to me; much like how Jack Daw, IMHO, should totally be a rezzer instead of an outcast.

Is it just for balance reasons? you already had a guild master ready so this guy went into the "outcast" pile?

7 minutes ago, Kyris said:

Man, I've been wrong about just about every one of my predictions...

that said, I am curious about why this is "outcast" exactly, it feels very "guild" to me; much like how Jack Daw, IMHO, should totally be a rezzer instead of an outcast.

Is it just for balance reasons? you already had a guild master ready so this guy went into the "outcast" pile?

Guild probably wouldn't be too keen on all the robbery. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tawg said:

Well, they might not exactly be useful markers if you switch them over to yours, I guess?  And once they are yours, you can't place any new ones near them, by normal means.  So that might be the "Draw back" I guess?

But I can certainly see how that would be a kick in the teeth for someone trying to accomplish a Scheme strat with him nearby.  But there has always been Masters that excel at denying certain Schemes, hasn't there?  I guess this is a bit bigger of a swath of schemes that he trumps, if that works that way though.

$#@%ING AWESOME!!!!!

I love it. I think part of it is the normality. He's just a dude with a gun robbing people. Not an undead spirit punishing the guilty. Not a hardcore paramilitary leader. Just a dude trying to make it in the world by robbing people.

Oh. And we DO have fluff on him, SPOILERS FOR UNDER QUARANTINE

There's a section of the Quarantine Zone called the Barrows. It's named after the Barrows Manor. Maximillion Barrows owned it during the first Breach. When, the Second Breach opened, his great-grandson, Alexander Barrows reclaimed the Manor (now in the Quarantine Zone) and holds one of the most civilized areas of the Quarantine Zone.

A call-out box mentions that Alexander has a brother somewhere (and shot someone who asked about him). Rumor has it Alexander took the entire family fortune (including his brother's share) before coming to Malifaux. Not only did he steal his brother's fortune, but apparently "Mrs. Barrrows had been Parker's girl" before she and Alexander came to Malifaux. Needless to say, he's more touchy about someone insulting her than mentioning his brother.

I do love this little backstory because it makes Parker more grey and while he is undoubtedly a bastard, I'm guessing there's far more to his story than robbing people (but still keeping him on a human level).

This is my favorite Master so far which is saying something. I think all the Wave 4 Masters have been winners so far.

• Like 9

OK, the quoting on this forum is way to difficult to use sometimes...anyway, I just wanted to add that scheme markers seem to be less integral to scheming in GG2016; Parker's ability might not be as backbreaking in 2016 schemes as they would be with the originals.

Honestly, I don't think his ability is a game breaker. It's a card per scheme marker (so Parker is *discarding over half of his hand to get maximum benefit). Plus, it's a four inch pulse. So, if you're using just regularly laying down scheme Markers, he's not going to be changing four of them, but he will be a bigger threat to models that can drop multiple scheme markers close together. Finally, he has to get up close and personal to the scheme markers which is pretty risky (not being able to see his Upgrades, he doesn't seem like he's going to survive a sustained attack).

*Now, it did say he has card draw mechanic, but I can't imagine it is enough to make 4 cards not hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Perdita and Ophelia are more focused on killing; this guy seems to be about resource shenanigans.  We'll have to see what his actual offensive abilities are like.  And dumping four cards to discard four scheme markers within :pulse4 is a huge drag on your hand, even with his card draw mechanics, not to mention there aren't that many masters who can easily get four scheme markers that close to each other, so it won't often come up.

Anyways, really like the sculpt!

Hot damn he looks cool :huh:Truly and outcast master I'd want to get :)

Here's hoping his minions are based off The Three Amigos, to cram in more western movie madness but then again there's so many western movies, including back to the future 3 I suppose. 

His card discard for scheme markers seems very risk vs reward in that he'll be out of cards and hopefully nearby models which can use/remove scheme markers are tied up. Definitely want to get Titania, Parker and whoever the Guild one is if they're revealed next week.

Are we *sure* that he's a "he"? Because that look could go either way. Mind you, I'd assume that there'll be a henchman of "Bonnie Clyde" as his #2 that seals the deal, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

That said, I very much look forward to the Barrows Gang being rolled out and I can only hope that we get some good, old fashioned bandit bastardos out of this.

27 minutes ago, ABoyNamedSue said:

Look at my post a few above. Parker already has fluff from Through the Breach and he is indeed a he.

There's probably some fluff in a Chronicles somewhere too, I hear Wyrd likes to do that sort of thing :P

Although unfortunately I'm not the person to ask, since I don't follow the Chronicles all that well.  But I do hear they put story stuff in there, and I know they like to "preview" things in reference, many times without ever mentioning they are previewing things.  I guess you could just call that drawing from their own lore they've been building as well :P  But like, the old-guy on the clock for instance?  He was the BJ in the starter-box-set's two deck of cards.  At the time it was just an art that wasn't the normal BJ, but after he was released I realized he was something I had seen before.  Except this would be with words, and stories.. that I haven't bothered to read.

Or maybe Parker is relatively new, and then, good on him, for being so inspirational that the guys over there wanted to make some crazy bandit dude :P