Von Schill: A Real American Shopping List

Golden Apple

Just starting out, von Schill will be my first master.

The shopping list begins with:
     Hired Guns Crew Box (obviously)

Lazarus

Freikorps Strongarm

What should I get from here? The goal is to be able to play 50ss games with as much versatility as possible between as few models as possible, to start. Please provide reasons for anything you'll add to my shopping list, really sell it to me!

Thanks in advance.

Shine on.

Hodgepodge Effigy is a cheap little addition.  Excellent little scheme runner, mobile cover, benefits masters that kill things like Von Schill does.

Johan is a really solid beater and provides some condition removal to the team.

After that you're probably pretty good.  Vanessa is worth considering.  She's a solid spellslinger with some deck fixing tricks that should probably be modeled riding on Lazarus's shoulder.  They're really the best of friends.

I'd also look to the Viks as a second master eventually.  They make excellent use of all the models you listed and above and will give you the superb Ronin to play with.  The only other model worth picking up for them beyond the box set is the Malifaux Child.

IMO Johan, Hodgepodge Effigy and Winged Plagues. First brings solid melee and condition removal for bargain price. Second cheap activation and Soulstone recharge. Third cheap activation and scheme runners when Freikorpsmen can't fit into the crew ;)

Winged plagues look like a great little scheme runner.  I've never felt the need to run Vanessa in a Schill crew - Librarian will suffice.  Vanessa will only really help, IMO, if your opponent is incorporeal heavy.

Johan is a great buy for 7 SS.  Hits like a truck.  Slow though, only 4" walk.  Convict gunslinger is also a good value shooter.

bishop is a great melee beatstick and he has swift (3AP instead of 2).  But he's 10SS - and between Lazarus and the Strongarm Suit there's probably no need to get another 10SS model yet.   But the extra AP can make him really handy with schemes - and he also hits back on failed attacks.  A few other nice tricks too.

4 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

Johan is a great buy for 7 SS.

He's an even better buy for 6 SS. ;)

As for Vanessa, she's just a solid gun.  Sure, its a magic missile, but its a high Ca, long range, solid pow auto blast gun.  It's easy to get caught up using her for other things, but that alone is solid, particularly when she's also giving a third AP to Lazarus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LunarSol said:

He's an even better buy for 6 SS. ;)

As for Vanessa, she's just a solid gun.  Sure, its a magic missile, but its a high Ca, long range, solid pow auto blast gun.  It's easy to get caught up using her for other things, but that alone is solid, particularly when she's also giving a third AP to Lazarus.

but she just dies so easily.....

9ca on the centreline means you're quite likely to hit that 4 damage.....but not putting out more damage does offset that somewhat.  It's a bit of a downer when even with 9Ca it still takes 2 hits to take down a minion.  And when not on the centreline.....I don't have any constructs so I'm probably missing half the benefit.

The deck manipulation is nice but more often than not it doesn't make much difference.

Depending on the field I like Hans with VonShill. Give Hans "Scout the Field" and give Hannah "I Pay Better" and start her within 10 of Hans and a trapper and you will close off parts of the board. While you are paying 9 for Hans with Scout, you have a pretty solid guarantee of removing something with 5 wd (7 if that extra card from Hannah happens to be the red joker) round 1. 

14 minutes ago, smeemo-on-wyrd said:

You definitely need Hannah.  I always take her in a 50ss VS game.  So much utility, plus she's a decent beatstick who can tie up several models in melee.

I don't understand why - a lot of you guys - love Hannah! :D

In my opinion she is definitively too slow and - without a ranged attack - not that much versatile.

I would give her couple of more tries in the future, but at the moment I don't like her.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Doesn't she auto Surge all of her attacks on the centreline as well?

No, she just gets +2Ca on the centreline.  Which is a ridiculous 9Ca, but when her max damage is only 4....heck, an opposing model with high wounds would just be happy to cop that, so she won't even burn through an opponent's resources.  

16 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

No, she just gets +2Ca on the centreline.  Which is a ridiculous 9Ca, but when her max damage is only 4....heck, an opposing model with high wounds would just be happy to cop that, so she won't even burn through an opponent's resources.  

She gets +2Ca+Tome on the centerline. The extra tome means she should auto surge, since both skills that can surge also have built in tomes.

• Like 1

On 10 June 2016 at 7:22 PM, Golden Apple said:

Is Hannah really worth the 35 dollar price tag, starting out?

Depends on the crew you take her with. If she has loads of options to copy with her Make a New Entry then she is great support piece so make sure you have Johan (for copying condition removal action) or Librarian (healing to copy). I found her really great with Bone Levi when she can copy Lure/Undress from Belles (plus something from other models) especially when I Pay Better on her on the top of that.

Shopping list: Engage!
Tactic Agree? Okay!
Near Future: Hired Guns + Lazarus  + Strongarm Suit + Johann with a possible audible to be called for Hodgepodge Effigy + Hannah + Hired Swords

Less-near future: Salvage & Logistics plus proxy waifus

Any glaring omissions?

I like Hannah personally, but her utility really depends on what else you bring along. Remember that part of her versatility is that she can copy abilities from other models. Depending on the tool kit that you bring you can deliver some unexpected abilities from her, where you really need them. Plus she gets the same nullifying aura on a larger base than the Librarian, and provides you with extra card draw for your control hand. I personally like to stick I Pay Better on her, rather than her book, as I tend to keep her centralized. The large base gets you just bit more range on the discard focus for all your mercs.

I agree with getting Johann post haste. You can't find many other models who are as point efficient as he is. You might want to consider sourcing a second Librarian and Trapper. I don't generally run two of both in my lists, but having the option of running two of either ain't a bad thing.

Just sounding off here - I've ran this list in my last two games and had better success than I generally do.

Von Schill - Survivalist, The Shirt Comes Off, Engage at Will

Hannah - I Pay Better, Arcane Tomes

2 x Trappers, 3 x Freikorpsmenn, Steam Trunk

8 activations, 5 cache. Everyone has armor, can ignore pulse and blast damage, and situationally has Hard to Kill as well. I've found the first couple turns are the only ones im really using the crew to deal damage, but the trappers zero action to push gives them a crazy amount of scheme running ability especially if they are in the schill bubble and can survive a charge from something.

Everyone has access to the s.tank in order to heal (albeit for card pitch) but this can restore hard to kill and saved my minis at least twice each game. I think that while the cops aren't as valuable (say comp to the trappers) they do have the chance to pick up to def 7 and have a sh5 and ml6 attack at their disposal.

Engage at will allows everyone to access the s.tank and use their native zero actions (as every model has one) and allows Von Schill to take the shirt off AND finish the cur, which is a freaking awesome pair of moves to use in the same activation.

In both of my last games, I managed to score fully off schemes that were actual scheme-marker dependant schemes, and I historically am very lucky to even score 2 or 3 off them.

If you have the chance to, I would recommend giving it a go - a good theme list that takes advantage of the korps guns, with spot removal in the form of VS and Arcane Tomes.

• Like 1