Summoning as an issue + Potential Fix

ukrocky

Morning all,

After recent discussion with some good players as well as my own experience in games, I honestly believe that summoning, specifically master summoners, have a negative impact on the game for a number of reasons:

- Tournament games with summoners tend to be slowed down massively - Not always true.

- Non-summoners have to select their crew blind, whereas summoners can adapt much easier - Part of their style.

- Activation control in summoning crews is always massive, and activation control is something important and oft talked about in the game at present.

- The sheer amount that can be summoned, especially with little resources, is sometimes incredible.

- Some strategies and schemes there is *zero* chance of competing with a summoner. 

To give some examples:

- Dreamer's summoning is insane. Summoning 2 stitched a turn, both can then get reactivate and be on 2 wounds is just crazy with the pushes and activation control available. Let alone Lilitu and lures etc. It's not really that card intensive due to neverborns card draw, and saccing a daydream for masks. Can easily get 40+ss a game out.

- Nicodem's summoning is similar. He can get a horrific amount of cards, especially combined with Phillip, a lack of fast, and sheer model count coming out slows the game and makes VPs auto in some strats/schemes.

The reason summoning isn't sweeping the tables is that at a top level, the playstyle is boring and slow for many players. Other players who do well with them, I don't begrudge and enjoy games against them, but I personally wouldn't play a summoner as I'd just get bored and be wary of my opponent finding the game boring and frustrating.

Long story short, that's my honest thoughts on summoners - I'm not saying they are correct, but some factions simply can't compete with masters Like the dreamer in certain strat/scheme pools due to activation control, flexibility, weight of numbers and so on.

My proposal to fix would be:

A master can only summon SS per turn equal to those not spent at the start of the game, totems are excluded.

Eg, The Dreamer selects his crew and spends 40ss. He can then summon 10ss a turn, not includiing daydreams.

This brings summoning into the list building part of the game, and limits the current horrific amount of activations summoners can get, whilst still allowing them to summon plenty of models. 

I suspect lots of disagreements with this post, but that is my honest current view on malifaux, where summoning is imbalanced. (Note: It's not always overpowered in all strategies and schemes, but some it is - hence imbalanced rather than OP)

• Like 3

Straight up summoners arent really that much of a problem if I am playing competetively although the ones that draw cards and generally negate the negative affects of summoning, eg slow/drawing cards do seem to have no real downsides.

Masters who summon whilst killing your stuff are probably worse as they are doubling the activation advantage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrocky said:

The reason summoning isn't sweeping the tables is that at a top level, the playstyle is boring and slow for many players. Other players who do well with them, I don't begrudge and enjoy games against them, but I personally wouldn't play a summoner as I'd just get bored and be wary of my opponent finding the game boring and frustrating.

This is the point where your argument falls down, and I lose respect for your position.  :(  The claim that the mechanic is overpowered but because it's "boring" you never see it happen anywhere comes across as petty.  More importantly, I can point you to at least one notable incident in the past few months for a counter example involving rats.

• Like 7

I dont see summoning as an issue* SS wise as its generally balanced out by other factors and for a lot of masters its actually a trap to use every AP to summon in models. I also dont get the time issue, it can easily be solved by using chess clocks for tournaments. I dont see summoning being anymore of a negative play experience than gunlines or denial lists.

Summoning is already a big part of the list building proces, as most summoning lists have to include support models to generate card draw/scrap markers/corpse markers/wounds to summon off and so forth, basically summoners are spending SS to get access to the required summoning resources.

Theres a few issues that your rule suggestion doesnt seem to take into accout:

There are henchmen (and a totem, and at least one minion) who can summon

Theres at least sne summonable model that doesnt have a SS cost (seishin)

Would you count Ikiryo and Lord Chompy bits as summons too?

If you think summoning is an issue in your meta, arrange a tournament where there's no summoning allowed or play some Henchman hardcore :)

*but then I'm a Resser player who thinks the Dreamer and Ulix look fun.

• Like 2

Wow, I just posted a thing on summoners and if my computer was not acting strange it would have been up this week end.

Summoners are a toolbox, no different from any other model. As for them being overpowered, being a toolbox comes at a cost through the game often as stones or cards.

6 minutes ago, Munindk said:

Theres a few issues that your rule suggestion doesnt seem to take into accout:

There are henchmen (and a totem, and at least one minion) who can summon

Theres at least sne summonable model that doesnt have a SS cost (seishin)

Would you count Ikiryo and Lord Chompy bits as summons too?

There are a lot of summoners and ways to do it, from rat catchers and guild autopsy to Karies or Dreamer.

Because he is not specifying action summoning vs event summoning I would defiantly think Ikiryo and Chompy count.

47 minutes ago, solkan said:

This is the point where your argument falls down, and I lose respect for your position.  :(  The claim that the mechanic is overpowered but because it's "boring" you never see it happen anywhere comes across as petty.  More importantly, I can point you to at least one notable incident in the past few months for a counter example involving rats.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. Couple quick things:

- First off, if I come across as petty, I apologise. But myself and another top player in the UK both see summoning as a massive NPE that isn't a good style. That's just my honest opinion. I dislike playing against summoners where I have no interaction.

- Secondly, not sure I understand your counter example involving rats? Ratjoy will hardly scratch dreamer IMO, and still relies on a mass of activations which is a frustrating area of non-competition from a TT PoV. 

3 minutes ago, ukrocky said:

Myself and another top player in the UK both see summoning as a massive NPE that isn't a good style. That's just my honest opinion. I dislike playing against summoners where I have no interaction.

I think that's a fair position. Everyone has the styles that they enjoy playing, and the styles they don't enjoy. Perhaps, rather than a suggestion that would make summoning unplayable, you could suggest ways in which summoning could be made more interesting for the opponent to counter-play? Some models (like Taelor) have abilities that can potentially give summoners headaches, but they've been somewhat limited in scope so far and a little too easy to stymie - if you have some ideas for future models that could expand on those roles, that sort of thing has a far greater chance to influence the future of the game than asking for changes to the core.

• Like 1

I'm inclinced to agree with Kadeton here. I've been playing the Dreamer a lot lately and haven't found myself flooding the board with models as seems to be expected. My opponents (if they're any good, which they usually are) put too much pressure on the Dreamer either directly or indirectly to let me do that, so I end up spending my AP and cards on things other than summoning. 

Similarly when I played Hamelin the only time the rats ever actually got out of hand was when the game got itself out of hand for my opponent. Most of the time people could kill them off before they became a problem and often without too much of an AP investment, and potentially deriving some sort of benefit from the easy kills. I had the one game where it was definitely a NPE because my opponent was new, had poor luck and ended up drowning in rats and blight, but that was exceptional. 

Neither of these masters have a resource they need to summon but they pay a soulstone premium for it (The Dreamer's upgrade and Hamelin's awful cache) and do have a positioning/activation element to make things awkward (Dreamer wants things to activate near quickly and heal, Hamelin takes ages to summon anything worthwhile). As a result their crews aren't typically as powerful from the get go as others so they need their summoning to bring themselves up to par. They can of course make their crew more powerful than the enemy given time and opportunity, but Perdita (or the like) can do the very same, just by removing models rather than adding them. 

I don't think summoning in general needs to be altered on the grounds of what either of those guys can do or any experience I've had playing against other Masters. 

FetidStrumpet raised a lot of issues with Kirai that I would most certainly agree with, but they're not problems with summoning, they're problems with Kirai being too good. She's seems kind of similar to The Dreamer on paper, but is absolutely a cut above in practice and is easily the most competitive summoning Master in my opinion. 

Similarly someone mentioned the advantage of summoning off of kills and again, that is an issue with Kirai being too good and Leveticus being too good. It doesn't warrant a change to the general rules for summoning, it's just a feature of both those Masters being over the top.

• Like 2

Agree. I want to clarify I'm not specifically complaining about Kirai, as I think most of the masters that got away from the way wave one laid down summoning generalities are problematic. I personally think the Dreamer is too good as well, but I have no direct experience with him, so anything I have to comment on is all based on Theory, and therefore isn't very useful as anything other than an opinion with no direct weight behind it.

I do think that summoning is becoming too ubiquitous, though as a business decision you can't fault Wyrd for wanting to use a popular mechanic to sell their miniatures, in a similar way that Duel faction and cross hiring rules do. And I agree with the above that it isn't a problem with the rule generally, its more with how specific applications of it are handled. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Agree. I want to clarify I'm not specifically complaining about Kirai, as I think most of the masters that got away from the way wave one laid down summoning generalities are problematic. I personally think the Dreamer is too good as well, but I have no direct experience with him, so anything I have to comment on is all based on Theory, and therefore isn't very useful as anything other than an opinion with no direct weight behind it.

I was specifically complaining about Kirai. ?

Personally I think The Dreamer is top tier, but herself and Leveticus are top tier +1.

1 hour ago, lusciousmccabe said:

FetidStrumpet raised a lot of issues with Kirai that I would most certainly agree with, but they're not problems with summoning, they're problems with Kirai being too good. She's seems kind of similar to The Dreamer on paper, but is absolutely a cut above in practice and is easily the most competitive summoning Master in my opinion. 

Similarly someone mentioned the advantage of summoning off of kills and again, that is an issue with Kirai being too good and Leveticus being too good. It doesn't warrant a change to the general rules for summoning, it's just a feature of both those Masters being over the top.

Yup.  This.  Very much this.

Summoning is a bad mechanic to try and solve unilaterally because for the most part, each summoning ability is completely unique.  I think the individual rules have enough dials to fix with personally though.  Shorten the range of summons to put the summoner in more danger, weaken the results further, even something really weird like forcing a chain activation can make a big difference.  There are definitely summoners in need of a fix, but their problems need to be defined a little better, as they're more specific than simply having access to the summon mechanic.

• Like 1

I actually prefer to face summoners as it means their master is usually doing something else with his AP rather than scoring strats/schemes or doing damage to my crew. It also tends to be resource intensive so they are using their high cards and often stones to bring stuff in that is usually damaged so is actually easy to kill. If nico spends all his AP bringing in a couple of half wound things and I can kill them in a couple of AP then it balances out.

I have faced good players that have used Nicodem, Kirai, Ramos and Dreamer and so far havent had issues. In fact when facing ressers in recconoiter (or its 2016 equivalent) I have expected Nico and been able to counter it happily. I would rather face some of these summoners than some of the other masters the factions bring (if you want to bring summoners to tourneys craig rather than Lynch I would be happier :D )

13 hours ago, katadder said:

I actually prefer to face summoners as it means their master is usually doing something else with his AP rather than scoring strats/schemes or doing damage to my crew.

It's very common that Summoning is the best way to score strats for a Master. And Summoning, e.g., Necropunks is kinda like accomplishing Schemes (only on the next turn).

• Like 1

For the record, I've played against Gremlin and Resser summoners plenty. I've never had a problem with it except in a three way game that I played against So'mer and Ulix. There was simply too much going on to follow with the various Bayou and Pig summons, and there combined turns took forever. It was not fun to play in that game.

That was an edge case scenario however. Normally I don't find summoning to be a NPE catalyst for myself.

4 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I wouldn't really count a master as a summoner unless they have an action which does nothing other than summon a model. Levi just gets to make dudes as another feather in his oversized cap.

this, hes not a real summoner, yes I can summon using him but its a side effect of killing things and aboms whilst annoying will usually only get 1 in a turn so not massive summoning anyaway

18 hours ago, katadder said:

this, hes not a real summoner, yes I can summon using him but its a side effect of killing things and aboms whilst annoying will usually only get 1 in a turn so not massive summoning anyaway

Yeah, Leveticus is not a real summoner, but he can get a model from one of your models dying. This is very cost-efficient, a "two for one".

My biggest gripe with summoners, is that they can get away with filling most of their list with high cost minions and then fill out the gaps with summons as the game starts. You get all of the advantages from having high cost models AND activation control. Doesn't matter how killy your master is at that point.

For me when I play Kirai, I can bring in all the support models I need (Chiaki, Flesh Construct, Nurse, Datsue-ba, maybe Phillip, etc) and a big beater enforcer like Rogue or Izamu and then I can summon in other beaters like Shikome or Hanged as needed.  I find myself only summoning in maybe 2-3 models a game really as I also like her other stuff too.  I also usually find I can get at least 1 Gaki per game from her trigger and occasionally another from the Datsue-ba.  That's also not including Seishin whom I usually get 1-2 a turn.

Then again, I think we all know Kirai is simply amazing at what she does...

• Like 1

As a Thunders player, I do find it to be challenging to play against summoners in Reconnoiter and Interference.  It's not to say that I can't win, but it is certainly harder to keep up with factories that pump out more bodies in these strats.  I find that I really need to take out most of their support models/beaters in the first couple turns to even out the activations later in the game.  With models like Sensei Yu and Mr. Graves to help me advance quicker and masters like Lynch (with Beckoner support), McCabe, or Shen Long, I find that it's pretty easy to start the game off with a bang, taking out irreplaceable models early.  Many summons often come in weakened as well, and I'll generally hold back answers to take them out before they can heal or even activate, which further keeps activation advantage in check.  The difficulty comes into play with keeping my own models alive and budgeting AP for scoring points.  Obviously, keeping my opponent's model count in check in these strats at least helps me score strat points and hopefully denies my opponent the same, but if I let them muster their forces with impunity then I'm in trouble.  Likewise, if I spend all my AP killing off models, then my schemes might suffer, though there are usually schemes to work into the balance and even some that support wholesale slaughter like Hunting Party and Mark for Death etc.

I actually played Dreamer for the first time at Nova last year, and made the mistake of losing McCabe and Sidir, who I took Bodyguard on, on turn 1.  I did, however, severely reduce my opponent's initial model count, and I was able to stay in the game with my dogs scoring scheme and strat points.  I lost 7-6 and learned a good lesson.  In subsequent games against Dreamer playing Recon or Interference, I made sure not to hand important models to swarms of Stitched on a silver platter.  I also found that Austringers are pretty good at taking out Dreamer's summons before they heal, and I haven't lost to Dreamer since.  Likewise, I lost closely to Kirai the first time I played her in Interference but have won by landslides in subsequent games.  Similarly, I recently played Ramos for the first time at a tournament and lost 9-7 because I chose one of my schemes incorrectly and wasted AP on spiders that could have taken out other unique targets.

I feel that there is a learning curve when going up against any play style/master for the first few times.  Learning what targets to prioritize and how to score and deny points can be vastly different across factions and masters.  Personally, the threat of a late game horde is much less potent to me than the possibility of masters like Sonnia or the Viks nuking most of my crew in the first 2 turns, and masters like Ophelia, Perdita, and Lynch can be absolutely terrifying to be near.  Yes, summoning is a great toolbox mechanic that can get out of hand if left unchecked and serves as a great AP sink to distract from scoring points, but there are ways to mitigate these advantages with practice and foresight.  In playing the faction with the least summoning potential, I use my maneuverability and tricks to hand out + flips, fast, and, in the case of McCabe, reactivate to apply constant pressure to my opponent from turn 1, dedicating fairly efficient AP to target elimination and still managing to score points.  We Thunders also have a great deal of self-healing and otherwise resilient models who can stay the course of the game, efficiently taking out troublesome threats while maintaining activations through the game.  When it's pretty likely you'll be facing a summoning master, just figure out what strengths your faction has to deal with an influx of models through the course of the game.  Many of these strengths can be applied more broadly, even in the case that summoning isn't on the opposite side of the table, and it doesn't have to feel like your whole crew is just there to counter this particular mechanic.

• Like 1