Malipho'enix Ulix vs. Jacob Lynch (Ten Thunders) 50SS

thecapopriest

P5270700_zpseime7dlb.jpg

This is a 50 soul stone battle report of Malifaux played at Tempe Comics in the Malipho'enix group. 

Ten Thunders VS. Gremlins.

Deployment: Standard

Strategy: Stake a Claim

Schemes: Line in the Sand, Plant Evidence, Bodyguard, Assassinate, and Outflank.

Gremlins List: Ulix with Husbandry and Hunting Bow, Penelope, Old Major with Corn Husks, Trixiebelle, Gracie with Saddle, Merris Lacroix, and a Slop Hauler. Soul Stone Cache is 6.

With this list I was hoping to be able to have Trixiebelle and Merris Lacroix be the primary models doing scheme running with summoned Piglets helping with the 0 action to interact due to Corn Husks wherever they can, while Ulix summons in Warpigs and Piglets to flood the board and generally harass my opponent enough to shut down their ability to finish the schemes and Strategy. Gracie is my primary beater and tank for this crew to do the heavy lifting. 

Ten Thunders List: Jacob Lynch with The Rising Sun, Woke up with a Hand, and Endless Hunger, Hungering Darkness with Addict, Mr. Graves, Lust, Mr. Tannen, 2 Illuminated, and a Friekorps Trapper. Soul Stone Cache of 1.

Gremlins reveal Plant Evidence and keep Assassinate unrevealed.

Ten Thunders reveal A Line in the Sand and Plant Evidence.

P5270702_zpsygyxkok6.jpg

Ten Thunders win the Deployment flip and has the Gremlins choose sides and deploy first.

From left to right: Penelope, Old Major, Slop Hauler, Ulix, Gracie, Trixiebelle, Merris Lacroix.

P5270704_zpsnkef5b8e.jpg

From left to right: Illuminated, Illuminated, Hungering Darkness, Mr. Tannen, Mr. Graves, Jacob Lynch, Lust, and the Friekorps Trapper.

P5270706_zpsiygsymgz.jpg

Gremlins use a SS to draw 2 additional cards and discard back down.

Gremlins lose initiative and Ten Thunders has Gremlins go first.

Merris Lacroix goes Reckless and does the action Gremlin Cunning drawing 2 cards and putting 3 cards from my hand on the top of the deck. Then she does an Interact action to drop a Scheme Marker, then walks forward and uses the 0 action "Bombs Away!" discarding a card and dropping a Scheme Marker as long as it is 2 inches away from another friendly Scheme Marker.

P5270707_zps4mtwwja2.jpg

Friekorps Trapper Focused and shot Merris Lacroix. With the Focused condition I needed to tie his total or cheat higher then his total to stop him from being able to cheat in a severe card and outright kill Merris and cause her to explode on to Trixiebelle. Unfortunately I only had one card high enough and it was a 12, meaning I would be unable to summon in a Warpig this turn. But due to being tied the Friekorps Trapper did weak damage lkeaving Merris with 3 health left.

P5270708_zpszqslkh5q.jpg

Ulix activates and does the Birthin' action 3 times, summoning 2 Piglets off of Gracie and 1 off of Old Major. Then he did his 0 action Proper Care to heal all Pig models within a 6" Pulse from Ulix, then Ulix takes 2 damage. All the Pigs are healed to full except for Gracie who has 2 damage still on her.

P5270711_zpss5exqqhi.jpg

Mr. Graves did Show Ya the Door to Lust pushing her 6" forward and pushing into base contact. Then he walked forward and used his 0 action Keeping The Peace, which makes a 6" aura that enemy models must pass a TN 13 willpower duel in order to declare charge actions.

P5270712_zpsttzhk7gd.jpg

Slop Hauler went Reckless, walked, and then healed himself, Ulix, Merris Lacroix, and Gracie. Merris healed 2 leaving 1 damage on her. Gracie healed 1 leaving 1 damage on her. Ulix and the Slop Hauler healed all damage.

P5270714_zps4vzb3m2d.jpg

Mr. Tannen double walks forward and uses his 0 action Leave it to Luck which gives +2 to all Mask cards and -2 to all Tome cards.

P5270717_zpsspph7g9q.jpg

Slow Summoned Piglet walks 5" forward due to Penelope's Kept at a Distance aura that gives all friendly pig models that start their activation within 6" of Penelope gain +1 Walk.

P5270719_zps3ggxtuxd.jpg

Male Illuminated double walks forward.

P5270720_zpsxmmkwff1.jpg

Another Piglet walks 5" forward.

P5270723_zpsqbzbb5u7.jpg

Female Illuminated double walks forward.

P5270724_zpsfrfiml2v.jpg

Slow Piglet that does not have LOS to Penelope only is able to walk 4" forward.

P5270726_zpslgy1aew1.jpg

Hungering Darkness double walks forward and uses his casting expert AP, granted to him by the Endless Hunger upgrade, to use Heed My Voice on the Piglet and force it to charge the Hungering Darkness. The Piglet misses both attacks without needing to cheat the flips.

P5270728_zpslivu9ihx.jpg

Old Major activates and uses his 0 action The Old Pig Knows the Way to push Ulix and the Slop Hauler into base contact. Then he double walked and Ulix hitched a ride both times.

Lust activated and double walked forward. Then she used her 0 action Proper Positions on the Piglet which is pushed 4" towards Lust and dshe gets the trigger Love Hurts doing 2 damage to the Piglet as well.

P5270730_zps9dumejrv.jpg

Gracie double walks towards Lust Saddling the Slop Hauler on the first walk and successfully does her 0 action Riled Up taking 2 damage for a total of 3 damage on Gracie and she now has Reactivate.

Jacob Lynch used his ability Woke Up With A Hand, which is granted by the upgrade of the same name, drawing 2 cards for being the last friendly model to activate. He then used his 0 action Mulligan drawing 3 cards and then discarding 3 cards from his hand. He then triple walked forward.

P5270732_zps6iau8egf.jpg

Gracie attacked Lust 2 times missing both times.

Trixiebelle went Reckless and double walked over and then did Gremlin Lure to Merris having her push up to her charge towards Trixiebelle.

P5270734_zpsgmua8syn.jpg

Penelope used her 0 action Herd 'em on Gracie pushing Gracie up to her Walk stat. Then she double walked into engagement range of Lust.

End of turn 1 no points scored.

P5270736_zpsc6lllgeu.jpg

Gremlins use a SS to draw 2 more cards, leaving the Gremlins with 4 SS left.

Gremlins win initiative.

Merris goes Reckless and triple walks then uses her 0 action Bombs Away to drop a Scheme Marker at the cost of discarding a card.

P5270739_zps49hlfmgk.jpg

Lust activates and targets the Slop Hauler with Now, Kiss! succeeding and placing the Slop Hauler with Gracie. Both models pass the TN 13 Willpower duel avoiding getting the Slow condition. It did get the Love Hurts trigger doing 2 damage to the Slop Hauler. Lust then did her 0 action Proper Positions to push the Slop Hauler towards the Hungering Darkness. Then Lust attacked Penelope with Heartbreaker, getting the built in trigger Dream Maker to look at the top 3 cards, discard 1, and then put the 2 back on top in any order. The attack did moderate damage of 2 to Penelope leaving her with 2 health.

P5270742_zpsfwfhw2dc.jpg

Slop Hauler goes Reckless and walks staying within Hungering Darkness engagement range and passes the terrifying test by cheating. He then healed himself, Gracie, and the Piglet that was harmed by Lust in the previous turn. Gracie and the Piglet healed all, the Slop Hauler only healed 1 leaving 2 damage on him.

P5270743_zps9jzqggps.jpg

Mr. Graves walked forward and attacked the Slop Hauler but failed to hit. He then used his 0 action Keeping The Peace.

Gracie activated and used her 0 action Riled Up successfully taking 2 points of damage and gaining Reactivate. She then walked saddling the Slop Hauler. She failed her terrifying duel from the Hungering Darkness and became Paralyzed.

P5270746_zpsw9xiylab.jpg

Female Illuminated focused and shot the Slop Hauler killing him.

Piglet activated and attacked Mr. Graves twice missing both times.

Hungering Darkness Attacked Gracie 3 times, missing the first attack, doing 2 damage on the second attack, and 1 damage on the third attack. Leaving Gracie with 2 health left.

P5270748_zpsltqqfknt.jpg

Old Major double walked forward and had Ulix hitch a ride both times.

\P5270749_zpsy1bhddvy.jpg

Male Illuminated charged Gracie, the first attack hit and left Gracie on 1 health due to hard to kill. The second attack missed.

Gracie attacked the Illuminated 2 times with Take a Bite. The first attack missed, but the second hit doing 1 damage to the Illuminated but getting the Red Joker for her healing flip, healing 4 damage, but then taking 2 damage reduced to 1 due to Lust's Looking For a Soul to Steal.

P5270751_zpskg3ekvyu.jpg

Mr. Tannen failed to do his 0 action Leave it to Luck. He then walked forward and shot Ulix with Bore to Tears doing weak damage of 1 but getting the trigger Yawn to give Ulix the condition Blocked to stop him from using SS for the rest of the turn.

Penelope activates and uses the 0 action Herd 'em on Gracie pushing her Walk towards Ulix. Then she attacked Lust once doing 1 damage and then walked towards Lust just a tiny bit to avoid the 2 damage from her aura.

P5270754_zpsleb26rft.jpg

Friekorps Trapper walked into the forest and shot at Merris missing.

P5270756_zps9zgmnxhr.jpg

With no cards in my hand to cheat for summons, Ulix attempts to summon a Piglet 3 times succeeding once, then he used his 0 action Proper Care to heal Old Major who he summoned off of as well as Gracie, but not the Piglet as it is not in LOS of Ulix.

P5270758_zpsvuf5j7s2.jpg

Jacob Lynch activates and uses his ability Woke Up With A Hand and drew 2 cards. He then used his 0 action Mulligan to discard his ace, which he immediately picked back up due to Ace In The Hole, then he drew a card. Jacob Lynch then walked forward and attacked Ulix with Pay for Blood doing 2 damage and giving Ulix the Brilliance characteristic due to the Hypocrite trigger, then he attacked Ulix with Final Debt dealing 3 damage to Ulix due to Jacob Lynch having 3 cards in his hand.

Slow Summoned Piglet charged into Mr. Tannen missing both times.

P5270759_zpsuoxayexe.jpg

Piglet charged Lust and got the Stampede trigger to charge Mr. Graves. On the second attack he got Red Joker for the damage doing 4 damage reduced to 3 due to armor and then the Piglet walked towards Lust.

P5270761_zpsj9cw45yw.jpg

Piglet double walked 10" due to Penelope and then used a 0 action to drop a scheme marker due to Corn Husks.

Trixiebelle went Reckless and triple walked into the forest.

End of turn 2 no points scored.

P5270763_zps5ah1j1yf.jpg

Gremlins use a SS to draw 2 more cards.

Gremlins win initiative.

Gracie charged Mr. Graves dropping him to 1 health left after the first attack and killing him with the second using the ability Eat Your Fill to heal all damage and end the activation immediately. She then took 1 damage due to Lust's Aura.

P5270767_zpsewhpkk83.jpg

Mr. Tannen used Bore to Tears against Ulix getting the Yawn triger to put the Blocked condition on Ulix stopping him from using SS and killed him with 2 damage, exactly the amount that was needed. Mr. Tannen then hit the Piglet that was in engagement with Lust with the same attack.

That same Piglet attacked Lust but failed the Manipulative test. Then the Piglet just walked slightly closer to Lust.

Hungering Darkness attacked Gracie 3 times doing 3 damage and healing 2 due to the trigger Drain. Then he used his 0 action Consume Brilliance to heal 1 more. Gracie passed the TN 13 horror duel.

P5270769_zpskmvcjcpr.jpg

Old Major charged the Illuminated and did 5 damage to it leaving it with 2 health.

Jacob Lynch uses his 0 action Mulligan discarding 3 cards, 2 of which where Aces so he was able to put them back in his hand, and drawing 3 cards. Jacob Lynch did Play For Blood against Old Major but failed and took 2 damage which he used his only SS to prevent all the damage. Jacob Lynch tried again and failed with the Black Joker taking 2 damage.

P5270770_zpsiqh52ypa.jpg

Piglet walked forward and charged the Friekorps Trapper missing with both attacks.

Female Illuminated attacked Old Major twice missing once but did 4 damage on the second, which Old Major used a SS to reduce down to 3 damage.

Piglet attacks Mr. Tannen and does 3 points of damage but gets the trigger Grab On giving him slow, but ending the Piglets activation immediately.

P5270774_zpsep6uds8p.jpg

The male Illuminated attacked the Piglet and killed it. He then shot into the Old Major Melee, randomizing into the Piglet and missing.

P5270777_zpsby81klok.jpg

Trixiebelle goes Reckless and drops a Stake a Claim marker for 2 AP and then drops a Scheme Marker.

P5270780_zpstt71v4wy.jpg

Lust attacked both Penelope and the Piglet with Heartbreaker killing them both. Lust failed to do Proper Positioning.

P5270782_zpsxit9yi0v.jpg

Merris went Reckless, walked forward, shot Lust twice, hitting once giving Lust Burning +3.

P5270784_zpsjuauv4hf.jpg

Friekorps Trapper attacked the Piglet doing 2 damage. He then used his 0 action to push out of engagement and shot Merris, getting Red Joker for damage and killing her instantly.

End of turn 3 Gremlins score 1 for Stake a Claim.

P5270787_zpstr1apix1.jpg

Gremlins use a SS for 2 cards.

Gremlins win initiative due to Trixiebelle giving me the ability to cheat.

Gracie moved up and attacked the Illuminated doing 3 damage from Take A Bite and healing 3. Then she did her 0 action Riled up taking 2 damage.

Hungering Darkness attacked Gracie 3 times but only hitting once doing 2 damage with weak due to the trigger Envelop.

Gracie Reactivated attacking the Illuminated twice but missing both times.

Illuminated attacked Gracie and killed her.

Piglet charged the Friekorps Trapper and missed both attacks. Last attack also missed.

Jacob Lynch does his 0 action Mulligan discarding 3 but picked the 2 aces back up, then drew 3 cards. He then hit Old Major with Play For Blood dealing 2 damage. then he did Final Debt and did 7 damage to Old Major due to Jacob Lynch having 7 cards in his hand.

P5270789_zpspqb90ju9.jpg

Trixiebelle went Reckless, walked and then charged the Friekorps Trapper missing with both attacks. She then did her 0 action Buy You a Drink giving the Friekorps Trapper poison +6.

P5270791_zpsqj7rqdao.jpg

Lust used her 0 action Proper Positioning on the Piglet then dropped a Stake a Claim marker with her 2 actions.

P5270792_zpstqdxj2s4.jpg

Piglet attacked Mr. Tannen but failed the Manipulative test. Then he moved.

Female Illuminated attacked the Piglet twice, hitting once, and doing 2 damage. 

End of turn 4 no points scored.

Gremlins 1 Ten Thunders 0

P5270795_zpsicqxh3dz.jpg

Gremlins win initiative due to cheating.

The Piglet charged the Friekorps Trapper getting the Bowled Over Trigger on the first attack pushing him 4" away and following up into base to base and the Eat Anything trigger healing both points of damage on the Piglet.

P5270797_zpsffxu8wgv.jpg

Jacob Lynch uses his 0 action Mulligan then walks forward and shoots Trixiebelle twice killing her.

P5270798_zpsqlszpcry.jpg

The Friekorps Trapper pushes out of engagement with his 0 action, then walks to the center line and drops a scheme marker.

P5270800_zpsxziccxag.jpg

Female Illuminated walks to the center line and drops a scheme marker.

Male Illuminated walks to the center line and drops a scheme marker.

Hungering Darkness walks to the center line and drops a scheme marker.

Lust walks behind the ruins and drops a scheme marker.

End of turn 5 I do the flip to see if the game goes on and it does not from a 6 being flipped.

Gremlins scored 3 points from Plant Evidence and 1 point from the strategy Stake A Claim. The unrevealed scheme Assassinate never got close to being scored. For a total score of 4 points.

Ten Thunders scored 3 points from Line in the Sand and 1 point from Plant Evidence, no points from the strategy Stake a Claim. Total of 4 points.

Result was a tie 4 to 4.

I really enjoyed this game, it felt like a very close game all the way to the end. 

Right now with Ulix my biggest issue seems to be trying to figure out what to do with him when the summoning just isn't working. I'm going to keep trying to find a summoning module that works for me.

I really felt like the game went pretty strange at the beginning when the vast majority of our crews where all concentrating on the left side of the board. Luckily Trixiebelle and Merris where able to really easily take advantage of the right side and they where pretty much the only reason I tied this game up. 

Though if I had to I think I would say Gracie did the best job in this game for my crew as she was able so really hold her own against the Hungering Darkness and Illuminated and prevented the Ten Thunders front line from spilling onto my side of the board.

Like always hope you enjoyed the read and any comments or critique are highly appreciated.

P5270802_zpsxkvhvxrl.jpg

After I had posted this on the Facebook group A Wyrd Place it was pointed out that Jacob Lynch's ability Ace in the Hole can not be used for Jacob Lynch's activation, it is only for another friendly model's activation. Also the upgrades Endless Hunger and The Rising Sun can not be taken together on Jacob Lynch due to both upgrades being Limited.

If there were any other mistakes you noticed, please don't hesitate to point them out, they are greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

I really enjoy your battle reports, the pictures give a good overview of the table. I think they're good reads for beginners like me, as the level of detail helps my understanding of the game.

I think I've read all of your reports and its very interesting to watch you get better and better with Ulix :)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for giving the Battle Report a read!

Sorry for not putting in the corrections where they were relevant. Honestly I was just being lazy and put the correction in at the end, in the future I will go through and post it where applicable.

Hopefully my next Battle Report is on point with the rules. 

I really like your battle report. Your format is one of the better ones floating around making it easy to understand what happened and your thoughts behind your moves! 

Specifically in this battle, I would have liked to see Trixie do a bit more displacement of the other team. Once she finished pulling gremlins up field an idea could be to target Hungering Darkness, Jacob Lynch, or something with a higher charge than its walk with gremlin lure. If you have a decent crow or soulstone for it then you can push them back and slow them pretty much neutralizing the threat. This works great on enemies like the Hungering Darkness because he can be summoned back but if he is stuck he is useless. 

Anywho, thanks for the report. Look forward to reading more!  

• Like 1

Love this kind of battle report format, because it makes it really easy to understand even if you have no knowledge about some of the models (for me, that's gremlins, the only faction I don't play), so cheers for the effort and looking forward to more ...

• Like 1