May 30 - Asami

Lucidicide

Vote!  

550 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes! Everyone please vote for Outcasts to deprive Arcanists of their preview. We don't help/negotiate with terrorists.

Here is a good business move for Wyrd: preview all the new masters over the next month then release the only the master models at Gencon while the hype is on. This will sure sell well and will force people to buy the same master model TWICE when Wyrd sells it next year with the crew box.

• Like 2

I'm very happy that we got a Oni supporting Master ... summonig would be the cherry on the cake.

looks like you guys at wyrd want my money really bad ;)

I sooo have to buy her crewbox - really looking forward to sneakpeeks for that =)

I'm not 100% sold on her face yet, but I withhold final judgement until I see the Mini in the flesh ... or in the plastic.

If I'm still not convinced, she is gonna get a mask sculpted on there (or some other kind of conversion) and problem solved ;)

• Like 1

I'm liking a lot about her! I don't mind the appearance, Japanese creatures often look odd. She might be a Harionago but if that comment about her own bite is a clue then it could be that the Futakuchi-onna speculation could be right!

Either way, I don't mind! More Yokai!

Ok so ten thunders  is the only faction that I haven't  been  feeling  to date. Even yan lo as a duel faction resser couldn't sway me and my first loyalty is to the ressers. However,  a creepy (and I mean "creepy") Japanese  horror  styled crew...well that actually  has my interest  piqued. I am fond of the resser kirai stuff so far. Wyrd you might have just swayed me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Astraeos said:

I'm liking a lot about her! I don't mind the appearance, Japanese creatures often look odd. She might be a Harionago but if that comment about her own bite is a clue then it could be that the Futakuchi-onna speculation could be right!

Either way, I don't mind! More Yokai!

You could definitely be on to something there, the hooks would fit with that idea. The fact that the front is so relatively ordinary makes me lean towards there is something delightfully wyrd on the back of her head, but we shall see. 

If not her than an enforcer or something, I just really need a mawile in malifaux...:P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I was surprised at how human she looks in comparison with the other Oni. Could be a nice visual contrast.

She is Living and an Oni, so I'm guessing she is human but "sensitive" to oni, possessed, or some such, similar to the human Kirai and spirits, tough she isn't a spirit.

My first impression is that I hate her.  As someone else said. ..a potato-faced kid in her mom's bathrobe. Just really bad considering what the rest of the Oni look like. Really haven't liked much of anything I've seen lately. ...really unimpressed with the aesthetic lately. 

If there is something cool going on on her back. .....why the hell wouldn't you show it? Instead the first impression is of this. ....thing.  No matter what's going on on the back I'll never get over this weak first impression. Not smart. 

• Like 2

I'll admit, my first impression of her wasn't great. I was hoping for something a little more monstrous or sadistic-looking for an Oni Master so the actual art didn't really match my expectations. 

That said, I'm now liking it more and more. If nothing else the sculpt tells a story. She's an ordinary - looking Japanese girl, not especially pretty (she's not a former "companion", like Kirai) and possibly from an unremarkable background.   The kimono has design elements similar to a straight jacket so at some point she lost the plot and was incarcerated. We know she's an Oni Master so she presumably made a "deal with the devil" to escape, but from the pained expression on her face she's clearly not the one in control. Basically Asami comes across as a pawn of the Oni - a vessel to use/abuse for their own purposes. If Asami entered into this situation willingly, I'm pretty sure she's regretting it now. :)  

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Rathnard said:

I'll admit, my first impression of her wasn't great. I was hoping for something a little more monstrous or sadistic-looking for an Oni Master so the actual art didn't really match my expectations. 

That said, I'm now liking it more and more. If nothing else the sculpt tells a story. She's an ordinary - looking Japanese girl, not especially pretty (she's not a former "companion", like Kirai) and possibly from an unremarkable background.   The kimono has design elements similar to a straight jacket so at some point she lost the plot and was incarcerated. We know she's an Oni Master so she presumably made a "deal with the devil" to escape, but from the pained expression on her face she's clearly not the one in control. Basically Asami comes across as a pawn of the Oni - a vessel to use/abuse for their own purposes. If Asami entered into this situation willingly, I'm pretty sure she's regretting it now. :)  

That makes a lot of sense, given her name and no apparent connections to the Katanaka clan besides now being a TT master. As for the pawn/vessel, her Wrath of the Oni ability certainly hints at her not being in control.

It'll be nice to see the interactions between her and the other TT masters. The sculpt looks spot on, Wyrd keeps on giving :)

6 hours ago, Eclipse said:

As the words in a song from the 80's go:

I'm so excited,
I just can't hide it,
I know, I know, I know
I'm gonna like it...

I think I like you,

I'm pretty sure I do.

It's not quite an octopus, but, I can settle for tendrils of hair substituting for tentacles until they make a cephalopod crew for me :P

Plus, playing Misaki and her totem for so long, it'll be nice to still have Rush of Magic moving into Asami once she's out.  Since I'll obviously be buying this as soon as I possibly can :mellow:

• Like 1

This is what I had in mind for her: Kitbash Mysterious Effigy with Asami. Give her a hand(ful) of masks and make the other hand look like it's in a straight jacket. Cackle maniacally. Bonus points if she is mounted on the bed or crucible of the Guilty.

12 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Not a fan at all. It looks weird but in a boring way. Maybe the back will save her if there's indeed something interesting going on there but by far my least favourite of the previewed Masters so far. Oh well, can't please everyone all the time.

+1. Not a fan of Ten Thunders to begin with, but this seems really boring. As a comparison, I'm also not a big fan of Ressers but I like the concept of Reva a lot more. 
Titania was awesome...I feel they might have shot their best bullet first ;)

21 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

Like a wise man once said: No homo. Pure TT Bro ;)

First.  You need to work out your quoting skills :P

Second.  I was talking about Asami, I just happened to quote you because you had the "song" theme going :P

Although I'm sure you're a cool guy too. 

1 hour ago, Tawg said:

First.  You need to work out your quoting skills :P

Second.  I was talking about Asami, I just happened to quote you because you had the "song" theme going :P

Although I'm sure you're a cool guy too. 

Fair points :P
For some reason the clip you shared brought an image to my head: Asami is rope-jumping next to the girl from the clip, only she's jumping over her sleeves that are hooked together. A bunch of happy oni are cheering on the side like, "Go girl! Rise balls await!"

17 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

"Go girl! Rise balls await!"

wut.jpg

It's funny though, as soon as I started reading your imaginary scene, the first thing I thought of when I got to here:

17 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

For some reason the clip you shared brought an image to my head: Asami is rope-jumping next to the girl from the clip, only she's jumping over her

was

"tendrils of animated hair."

Funny stuff though.  Huh, this makes me wonder how long until Jorogumo's get a model, and or now many to a box.  They seem like a 1-per box type, don't you think?  Kind of unfortunate, but I've been interested in them since that book dropped, uuuguuu~ Last Blossom minions :mellow:

The more I look at it, the more it looks like a caricature. Like one of those big-headed political cartoon style caricatures. In the render the head seems better proportioned but still weirdly big. And again, not weird in a good way. But it's not just the head, it's the whole getup.

Not a fan.