Building, EWAR 28mm

Armond

I've been curious as well, mostly for the glorious St Mere Eglise. Having a huge church with playable interior dominate the table would be rally fun.

Downside is they're 28mm and Malifaux is 32mm, so they'd be slightly off scale. But, people fill tables with 4grounds stuff and it's got the same scale issue.

Personally, I don't have the hobby money available right now to make the gamble.

The scale difference might actually not be such a huge difference depending upon which system it was designed for. Malifaux may be 32 mm scale but it is intended to be a "realistic" scale, a lot of other companies use "heroic" scale 28mm meaning the models are larger than they would be otherwise. Additionally, most terrain looks small compared to the models that are next to them because of the bases (which add height to the models without counting as part of the scale computation and also represent a horizontal foot print roughly equivalent to the height of the model, in other words scale doors will rarely accommodate a 30mm base unless it is a double door).

I figure as much as well.  I know I usually put my buildings on some form of base anyway, so it may make it even up in terms of height.  I just would like to see something that shows we the actual side-by-side comparison with a Malifaux fig. 

I'm more concerned about things like doors and windows. 4grounds stuff looks a touch out of place when people have models stand beside the building, and the average human models head is higher than the door frame. That's why I like plastcrafts Malifaux terrain, it's made with Wyrds (somewhat inconsistent) scale in mind.

At some point you have to ask yourself how much the size issue matters if you are not going to scratch build stuff, particularly if you want to use the stuff for more than one game. I have 6 of Warlord Games Ruined Farmhouse kits that I used to make ruins for my city boards. They are made with 28mm Bolt Action models in mind, and Malifaux models definitely look oversized next to them. I also use them for Frostgrave, Guild Ball and other games so I'll put up with a bit of out of scale problems so that I don't have to put together separate terrain for each game that I play.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2016 at 6:22 PM, Armond said:

Anyone ever try these?  http://plastcraftgames.com/en/21-ewar-28

I am considering snagging some of these for Malifaux.  Thoughts?

Are these pre-painted? I can't tell from the description. It only lists the 'windows' as pre-painted.

If they are prepainted, then that is a great price point and some nice terrain. If not, its still a good price I guess, but I don't like having to paint terrain when I've got so much unpainted plastic. 

No, their pre-printed range is here. The way you tell the difference is the pre-printed range have the 'ColourED' tag. They're not pre-painted, they texture and print onto the foamed PVC before cutting it. Has the downside that exposed edges are plain white, but you can find a good neutral colour to cover it up. Looks great on the table.