Where are the upgrade cards located?

Hi fellow 'fauxers!

Me and some friends are getting started with Malifaux again after a loooong hiatus.
And I am getting my Neverborn repainted and some rebought (due to some models not beeing available separately, I'm looking at you Vasalisa...).
But this whole upgrade card thing is confusing me. I've listended to some podcasts and read up on Pull my finger and other blogs. And there are some cards getting recommended over and over again. 
One of these cards are "Retribution's Eye". So far I've located that its available in the Wave 2 Arsenal deck.
But since I'm planing on at least getting a couple of boxes I'm wondering if this upgrade is available elsewhere as well? 
So I don't buy the Wave 2 arsenal deck just for this upgrade. And then manage to get a box where this upgrade is included as well... Please tell me this isn't X-Wing all over again, where you have to get box A and B, where B is not even the faction you play, just to get X to work :\

At the moment there is a print-on-demand service from wargamesvault that sells individual cards, but for some odd reason you can't buy upgrades from them. 

So in order to get a copy of Retribution's Eye your best bet at the moment is to get the Generalist Upgrade deck, which will give you all the wave one and two upgrades which don't come with a particular box. And I think I've just realised why they don't have those cards as print on demand yet. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your answers.
So that upgrade does not come with any model and is only available in the Generalist Upgrade Deck?
So they really are going for the X-Wing style...

Well I guess our stop at Malifaux will be very brief once again. Its a nice game, but too much greedy stuff going on when it comes to them selling the stuff. I collect Gremlins as well and its really a joke how things are spread out in the crew boxes. It all feels too "You gotta catch 'em all!" to me.

46 minutes ago, zeno said:

So that upgrade does not come with any model and is only available in the Generalist Upgrade Deck?

Well I guess our stop at Malifaux will be very brief once again. Its a nice game, but too much greedy stuff going on when it comes to them selling the stuff. I collect Gremlins as well and its really a joke how things are spread out in the crew boxes. It all feels too "You gotta catch 'em all!" to me.

That's not really a fair comparison.  At the moment there are multiple different ways of getting the cards:

- Buy the rulebooks and expansion books for the game, and make copies of the cards from there.  Note that the books are available more cheaply as PDF versions, and you may find that more convenient to print out the cards that way.

- Buy the arsenal deck which contains the upgrade, or get the General Upgrade deck if it's not a master specific upgrade.  If you're going to be buying new plastic models and don't expect to get any of the old metal figures, then don't buy the Arsenal decks at all, and just buy the General Upgrade deck because that's all of the not-master-specific upgrades from arsenal decks in one place. 

The cards which are supplied with the models are supplied as such as a convenience.

If you want every single card in the game, and all of the stats for every single model in the game, buy the books.  Along with that information, you'll get some short stories and some artwork.

And, unlike X-Wing, the tournament documents for Malifaux state that photocopied or printed out versions of the cards are valid to use.  So you don't have to buy five Y-Wings for the one-per-box upgrade card to use for your X-Wing squadron.  :mellow:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zeno said:

You could also ask on the trading forum if anyone's willing to sell you the card you want if you have to have the card and not a photocopy/ print out from the rule/ expansion book.

1 hour ago, solkan said:

...And, unlike X-Wing, the tournament documents for Malifaux state that photocopied or printed out versions of the cards are valid to use.  So you don't have to buy five Y-Wings for the one-per-box upgrade card to use for your X-Wing squadron.  

Aha, I did not know that. That do make this whole card thing easier to handle.