MDT Hobby Blog

I already posted this in a different thread,  but I want everything on one place. So...

I wasn't able to find an Avatar of Dread on-line anywhere so I started making this for a friend.  But then someone clued me into a FLGS that had one (thanks again if you are watching).  So he got his Avatar of Dread and I get to keep this one. Two happy gamers. :)

This is my progress so far.  

Posh-AvatarOfDread-001d.JPG

• Like 7

On 5/24/2016 at 9:10 AM, JudgeDread said:

always impressed with your basing skills. do you custom make those rocks or are they some third party maker?

Thanks.  The cobble stone bases are custom.  Using Miliput putty.  They are pretty easy to make, but a bit time consuming.  My original plan was to make themed bases for each faction.  I decided on the cobblestones for TT (my faction).  That was before I understood how much crossover there was between factions, especially TT.  So I ended up doing all my bases like this. Probaby wouldn't have done something so time consuming if I'd realized I'd be doing every Malifaux model like this. :)

On 5/27/2016 at 3:49 PM, MrDeathTrout said:

Finished my first TT bro.  This is one of my the model I like best of any thing I've done recenlty.  I haven't figured out a color scheme for the other two yet.

I think I'm going to work on the brewmaster next.

TTB001_zpsmeyhwqpm.jpg

so well done, if you feel so inspired you COULD add some Chinese symbols to his mask. i am debating on what to do for wong's bases. Maybe order the Zen garden inserts, any ideas?

• Like 1

Wesley "done".  I say "done", because minis are never really done.  You can always go back and find something to improve.  I'm not sure I like the color of the trim, but I haven't figured out anything I like better and after three colors I decided to stop for now.  Maybe once I finish the moon shinobi I'll decide on something I like better.

I've also noticed with this camera the contrast is a bit low.  So the difference between the highlights and the shading less than true life, but the blending is a bit smoother than real life.

TriChi-Wesley-001a.JPG

• Like 2

Wiskey Golem is done.  You can't tell very well in the photos, but I replaced the wiskey sloshing out of the "head" gremlins mug and the stream running into the "drill" gremlins mouth are translucent.  I clipped off the opaque plastic and replaced it with dried clear glue and give it a light coat of sepia wash.

TriChi-WiskeyGolem-001a.JPG

TriChi-WiskeyGolem-001b.JPG

TriChi-WiskeyGolem-001c.JPG

• Like 5

Mercury is done for now.  He's too plain.  I want to add something to the unitard, I'm just not sure what it will be yet.  I'd also like to add tatoos, but again not sure what to add yet.

I replaced the plastic bar since I dropped him one and one side snapped off.  I really wish wyrd would design their models be to a bit more durable for play.  The dumbbells don't seem that week, but the first one I got was almost snapped off when I opened the package.  The replacement was white with stress.

DarkCarnival-Mercury-001a.JPG

Not completely happy with the Lone swordsman's eye, but I think it is as good as I can do.

10T-LoneSwordsman-001a.JPG

• Like 2

Something a little different today.  This is my hobby area.  I thought I'd share some of the things I've done to make it convenient to paint.  Hopefully some of you find it useful and hopefully some of you can add some to this.

HobbyDesk-001a.jpg

Lots of light, as you can see.  

I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my desk so I mounted a 2x4 to the back (the light strip running the length of the desk in the back).  Everything that needed to be attached to the desk is attached to this.  I drilled holes in the 2x4 for the lamps bases to sit in. All of the wood (2x4 on top of the desk, the "peg-board", the verticle MDF board) are all attached only to the 2x4.

All of the lights, my hair dryer (for fast drying minis), etc are all plugged into the power strip (on right) mounted to wall, so I can turn everything off by turning the power strip off.

HobbyDesk-001c.jpg

I ripped a 2x4 length wise making a 45 degree cut making a triangle and drilled a bunch of holes in it for a drill bit, cutting wheel, etc, holder.

The white tubes are PVC pipe (2" diameter I think) glued together, glued to some MDF and then screwed down to the 2x4.  This makes a excellent holder many items as you can see.  I think I'm going to make another of these.

HobbyDesk-001b.jpg

Here's a close up of the paint shelves.  They are made of 1/4 wood.  They are held together exclusivity by glue and screwed to the wall.

If I can fit a pin in a mini's foot I pin it to the base using a paper clip.  So I started leaving the paperclip in and bending the end to make a hook.  I used some bamboo kabob skewers to make a little hanging rack for work in progress.  This is a very convenient.  You can also make a "S" hook to hang misc bits like the hat still on the spru in the middle.

• Like 4

Pro tip I just heard about.

The faction symbols on the Malifaux boxes are just about the right size for 30mm markers.  I used a 30mm base as a guide and cut these out with an exacto knife.  I ran a very thin bead of super glue around the edge for some durability.  You can flip them over and draw corps and scrap markers.  I've also been cutting out key parts of the photo for misc markers.  Von Schill looks like an Informant to me. :P   I plan on doing the same thing on my Rider boxes with a 50mm base so I'll have some markers for when the riders arrive in SL Campaigns.  Seems redundant since I'll obviously have the riders, but then won't have to carry the models just in case we fill that Weekly Event that night.

Counters-001a.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MrDeathTrout said:

Trapper build is done (probably).  I haven't decided if I want to put a cape on or not.  If I do it won't be the standard one.  I'm thinking of  a gillie suit of some sort.

Freikorps%20Trapper%2001_zpsoi8z3t21.jpg

Amazingly cool! :-)

Nice work all round!

Love seeing some conversions coming through in Malifaux.

The trapper looks good but to me her right upper arm (pictures left) looks a tad too long. Might just be the perspective though.

Keep up the good work

hd

• Like 1