Brewmaster, How do I drunk?

On 8/17/2016 at 3:00 PM, Pyrflamme said:

Blast! Well, "free" healing flips should also go a good way towards keeping it alive, except for the killjoys that are Perdita and Joss.

Having tried out the Whiskey Golem last night with his new 0 upgrade, even though it'seems not his df boost, the healing REALLY helps. Especially since it's on two suits, so it's much easier to get. He live the entire enforcer brawl and won, pounding face and drinking heal-nectar after each barrel punch. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, D_acolyte said:

Hi I wanted peoples opinion on this list and what it is for. This December I am playing a Ten Thunder Brewmaster vs Gremlin Brewmaster where neither of us can take running tab and each time a model suffers poison damage you have to take a shot of whisky.

This is my first crack at the list, I have also only ever played vs the Brewmaster and not with him:

The Brewmaster -- 6ss
 +Binge - 1ss
 +Hold Their Hair Back - 1ss

Ama No Zako - 9ss
 +Smoke Grenades - 1ss

Fermented River Monk - 5ss

Fermented River Monk - 5ss

Jorogumo - 9ss

Samurai - 8ss
 +Favor Of Jigoku - 0ss

Yin The Penangalan - 8ss

That leaves me 6 stones I think.

What I am un sure of is Yin or should I go with Lust or a Performer. I am also trying to keep the number of models which are immune to poison low because of the spirit of the game. I am also debating a Dawn Serpent instead of the Jorogumo, as this guy gave me one 2 years ago and I like the irony. I could see loosing Ama except vs Gremlins she is a great threat.

I know he will be using the whisky golem.

I would indeed swap the Jorogumo for the Dawn Serpent, definately keep Yin in the list, she will do great :) If you can find the rules for the Akaname (the new wave 4 Ripples of Fate book) you can also get one in instead of a Fermented Monk. If not, a Performer is a solid bet. Also, don't try to go for Drinking Contest too much, stick with One For the Road and keep giving Swill, then eating them Gremlins :D If there is no Brewmaster and posse left to Poison you, you won't have to drink unless you want to ;)
Oh, and if you could cram Sensei Yu with Fermented River Style in there that would be hilarious, but I think the points are already tight and would hate to cut anything from the list if I were you...

Well, guess it's time to post my own list. I don't have, like, solid lists but generally looks a bit like....

Brewmaster - 5+ SS

--Binge - 1 SS

Sensei Yu - 9 SS

--Wandering River - 2 SS

Yin - 8 SS

^Autopicks

22-24 SS of Units+Upgrades, at least 2 decent beaters. Love having Ototo and/or Izamu, Tannen/Graves/9SSHenchman trio, something big/medium/schemer, anything really.

Low River or Fermented River Monk - 4/5 SS

For the 24ish SS pool, it needs high damage and loves stuff like Terrifying and forcing TN Duels as the :-fate's or hand draining make it very easy to get completely bogged down within your crew.

It generally lets you set up a zone of death, with anything coming close either drained of their entire hand as you Binge a unit with - to Wp/Ca 4 times which makes all of your crew and remaining 4-5 card hand happy, getting :-fate'd to smithereens which makes your beaters tres happy, or just obeyed into awkward situations (In that order of preference, too). I don't really fuss around with the poison-schpiel.

I'll admit I'm somewhat picky about when to pick Brewmaster in the first place but 8 games in it hasn't let me down yet at 7/1/0. As long as the schemes allow you to stay within Brewie and Yu's reach he feels like a solid pick. I do really hate not having access to Wesley though, but that 2 SS upgrade is just so much. 

Anyone got any tips and tricks, or stuff from the new book that might facilitate this playstyle? Or am I playing him all wrong and are the dozens of references to poison on his card actually a subtle hint?

Tannen has become my new go to guy with brewmaster.  I keep them within 6 of each other and try to get Tannen in front blocking charge lanes and Ml ranges to brewie.  Brewie drops their wp which makes harmless even better.  The discard to cheat aura means brewmasters binge is likely to work.  So fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious if anyone has tried using Anna Lovelace with brewie?  She has built in inflict and can target WP. She also prevents placement and pushes if you happen to go drinking contest. I really like the idea of using her, but I find that brewie has many models that he wants to field in the 10 point range. 

Random thought - if you can spare the points for both the Emissary (with Conflux of Inebriation) and Sensei Yu (with Fermented River Style), the Emissary can use his 0 to make Yu Blind Drunk, which is effectively like giving him a Recalled Training that doesn't go away. He'll need some healing to deal with the Poison damage, of course, but it might be entertaining/surprising.

Random thought - if you can spare the points for both the Emissary (with Conflux of Inebriation) and Sensei Yu (with Fermented River Style), the Emissary can use his 0 to make Yu Blind Drunk, which is effectively like giving him a Recalled Training that doesn't go away. He'll need some healing to deal with the Poison damage, of course, but it might be entertaining/surprising.

Doesn't this work with the swill condition as well? or is that only enemies... I can't remember off the top of my head.

Doesn't this work with the swill condition as well? or is that only enemies... I can't remember off the top of my head.

It does, it's just a different condition (so it does not give one more stack of Swill, but must be removed separately). Technically you can have both on a model for :-fate:-fateat the very least.

It does, it's just a different condition (so it does not give one more stack of Swill, but must be removed separately). Technically you can have both on a model for :-fate:-fateat the very least.

Ok, that's what I though. So if you really wanted to be silly you can give Yu the emissary negative flips, then have Brewie swill twice to give triple positives for everything that round.

Not likely to be super important but a cool trick. I'd toss a 0 action to Yu to guarantee a positives on everything he does for a turn. If only he had a charge range...

Now on the same vein, you can also do this to Moon Shinobi if you take the Running Tab upgrade (using Terracotta Warrior to swap it first thing) because they also have Drunken Kung Fu. Could be a good turn to toss swill on all of them and watch them beat face.

Or you could not take the Emissary and spend those 10 points in things that actually do something for the Brewmaster instead. I've never seen the point of giving him an unreliable swill. And maybe give Yu Wandering River. I get the :-fate to :+fate trick but 99 out of 100 it's better to just put an enemy on :-fate's since instead of allowing a chance to up your attack or defence you simply strip them of the ability to increase theirs. Which coincidentally voids the only reason you'd take the Shinobi. 

Or you could not take the Emissary and spend those 10 points in things that actually do something for the Brewmaster instead. I've never seen the point of giving him an unreliable swill. And maybe give Yu Wandering River. I get the :-fate to :+fate trick but 99 out of 100 it's better to just put an enemy on :-fate's since instead of allowing a chance to up your attack or defence you simply strip them of the ability to increase theirs. Which coincidentally voids the only reason you'd take the Shinobi. 

I think that 99 out of 100 is going a bit far seeing as how those positives work on defense against any number of models attacking you while the negatives only affect a single enemy. Note that I'm mostly agreeing with what you're saying but just noting that there is a definite use case for giving your dude positives.

Technically speaking there's some uses, the problem is that those uses come at either a 2 ss upgrade and 6 SS models with damage tracks, Ml values and overal uses that are overshadowed by most of the competition in its point class or giving up the ability to give the Brewmaster fast and mess with markers on a model without Cg to give him some +'s on his, again, 2/3/4 damage track. Yes, it's possible, but its uses are so inconsistent that taking it will on the whole hurt your list. And quite a bit, too.

I've had a few games with the emissary, and I have to say, I actually prefer him with the Equality upgrade. Granted, that's been in games where I haven't been taking many minions I want in direct combat. It doesn't do anything special for Brewie, but has been working pretty well anyway.

Anyone tried a poison list to take advantage of the Dragon's Blood aura? I've started theoryfauxing it, and so far it centers around a rather punchy Brewie, who then (0) One For The Road away. I'm thinking with Yin and other Wp based things to take advantage of Brewie's - to Wp without necessarily focusing on Drinking Contest (I've found it can be situational useful in TT, but it hasn't done wonders as a focus for me). Mix in Sensai Yu for more One For The Road, and maybe a Fermented Monk or two. Thoughts?

I've had a few games with the emissary, and I have to say, I actually prefer him with the Equality upgrade. Granted, that's been in games where I haven't been taking many minions I want in direct combat. It doesn't do anything special for Brewie, but has been working pretty well anyway.

Anyone tried a poison list to take advantage of the Dragon's Blood aura? I've started theoryfauxing it, and so far it centers around a rather punchy Brewie, who then (0) One For The Road away. I'm thinking with Yin and other Wp based things to take advantage of Brewie's - to Wp without necessarily focusing on Drinking Contest (I've found it can be situational useful in TT, but it hasn't done wonders as a focus for me). Mix in Sensai Yu for more One For The Road, and maybe a Fermented Monk or two. Thoughts?

As someone who really only gets Drinking Contest off on accident, Yin is Brewwie's only auto-include for me. The basic schpiel is Yin gives a :-fate to Wp, they are gonna try to cheat, then a fast Brewmaster does Binge 4 times and you're left with an opponent with 1-2 cards left in their hand. Which is always fun. And getting a free swill isn't half bad either. Or an obey. Really, anything youll ever want to do, Yin facilitates. Sensei Yu goes nicely with one Fermented Monk (don't take 2). Basically allows Brew/Yu free movement since On the Road has no TN. These lists do need a heavy beater or two though, to capitalize on your weakened foes.

• Like 1