Brewmaster, How do I drunk?

2 hours ago, ArcticPangolin said:

I am so focussed on Drinking Contest that I forgot that he could copy that too... that's amazing.

Yeah the first time I played brewie that was all I was trying to do was drinking contest shenanigans. My new mantra is that it's a cute trick if your opponent lets it happen, otherwise brewie + yu is my 10T version of colette + cassandra.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing exclusively with Brewmaster for the past month or so (8games).  I've found him to be a pretty good master against summoners as they like to activate later in the turn and binge helps to dump their hand. He is great with more controlling pieces like yin, tannen and Yu, but the lack of a serious damage dealer is tough, so I've been experimenting with which damage dealers work best with him.  Lone swordsman is good but has to get moderate or severe which is not as reliable as in a. Shenlong crew. 

He has been fun to play with but I am not really sure he is a better choice than other masters in most situations.

Shadowy seems like a good option, if I remember correctly, the (0) from the Brewmaster specific upgrade doesn't consume the poison to take effect, so it can really put the screws to your opponent. It's also got a decent damage track, which is also a compelling need in a Brewy crew. I plan to try it out once my local place's current league is over and I can step away from Neverborn.

Akaname, I'm not entirely sure about them. They seem like they could be tricky in Brewy crews to get poison where you want it, but poison licking on their Ml and poison spewing on their Sh is hard to make work. What I'm more intrigued by is having one get up in a cluster and then having Fingers bonk it, getting the Poison +3 and forcing everything around it to Wp test against getting Poison +2. Loads it up with Poison for future work and dodges having to connect with an enemy model first, meaning you can do work with low Tomes.

I'm also keen to try Whiskey Golem again. It getting a trigger on its Ml to activate its +2 Df with the new upgrade, and on either of two different suits, no less, should make it a more exciting option. Going in, beating face, and ending with a Df 7 or Df 9 monster is awesome.

50 minutes ago, Pyrflamme said:

I'm also keen to try Whiskey Golem again. It getting a trigger on its Ml to activate its +2 Df with the new upgrade, and on either of two different suits, no less, should make it a more exciting option. Going in, beating face, and ending with a Df 7 or Df 9 monster is awesome.

Unfortunately the trigger the Golem gets is for the action that gives you a healing flip for 1/2/3 and you gain Poison+1, not the 'Fine Craftsmanship', where you gain a -condition- which raises Df by 2 until end of turn. I was mistaken about that the first moment and became very happy as well. Alas... Well, still better to have a glass (of whiskey?) cannon golem that heals when swinging then the same golem that dies after a turn... The other things, your thoughts are pretty much the same as mine. 

The emissary is awesome with him.  The ability either makes them easier to influence during the turn or the pitch two cards.  No resist and it doesn't use the poison.  Also the 5" push at the end of a turn is huge as well, as I find the emissary starts to lag behind.  The 0 action to make poison hurt double has also been a great help as I've been finding the crew lacks hitting power.  I haven't been using brewmaster with the upgrade to take the wiskey golem or Wesley but I really want to try him out with his new upgrade, and with the terra cotta soldiers ability, you can switch the upgrade out for misdirection on turn 1.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Inquisitor Wall said:

I've been playing exclusively with Brewmaster for the past month or so (8games).  I've found him to be a pretty good master against summoners as they like to activate later in the turn and binge helps to dump their hand. He is great with more controlling pieces like yin, tannen and Yu, but the lack of a serious damage dealer is tough, so I've been experimenting with which damage dealers work best with him.  Lone swordsman is good but has to get moderate or severe which is not as reliable as in a. Shenlong crew. 

He has been fun to play with but I am not really sure he is a better choice than other masters in most situations.

I really think that Betty with Brewie might be a thing... his ability to obey her to prevent charges and force walks towards her really plays into his control and on top of that she's killy. 

7 hours ago, Pyrflamme said:

Shadowy seems like a good option, if I remember correctly, the (0) from the Brewmaster specific upgrade doesn't consume the poison to take effect, so it can really put the screws to your opponent.

You do remember correctly :D they can just negate it with pitching 2 cards or 2 soulstones. But that's a win in my book for a 0 action.

Here's a list I'm messing with to try out:

Ten Thunders
50ss Crew

The Brewmaster -- 7ss
 +Binge - 1ss
 +Drinking Problem - 2ss

Malifaux Child - 3ss

Monk Of Low River - 4ss

Ohaguro Bettari - 8ss
 +The Peaceful Waters - 0ss

Samurai - 8ss
 +Favor Of Jigoku or Earth - 0ss

Shadow Effigy - 4ss

Shadow Emissary - 10ss
 +Conflux Of Inebriation - 0ss

Performer - 6ss

Thoughts?

2 SS to only get to use Drinking Problem's second effect seems a bit much (doable, but that's 2 SS for an action you might use twice in a match that tends to lack utility since you can only do while they're in his 12" bubble anyways) and I'd say it's better to attach Peaceful Waters to someone not Bettari because she's gonna spend a large portion of her time flanking and schemehunting behind cover/LoS.

Personally I'm more of a fan of getting Yin and Yu involved and not really focus on the poison game. Yu's ability to reposition and give the Brewmaster or minions fast or aggressively drag enemies into the Brewbubble make him just that little bit more versatile, and Yin's :-fate to WP sets up so many plays for the Brewmaster, especially a fast/binging one, that I'd almost consider her an auto-include.

I'd swap out the Emissary because its Brewie upgrade isn't exactly stellar even if you're doing poison, the Samurai seems a bit redundant because while range is nice, just entering Brewie's 12" bubble is enough to drain your opponent's hand or get -'s to everything and it's not like the damage track is really what you're doing it for, and with less focus on poison the Performer is a bit redundant, too.

So with that I'd say -24 SS for the Emissary, Samurai and Performer for of Yu+Wandering, Yin, and I'd say maybe a Fermented Monk for the easy pushes+reactivate or Komainu because they tend to play nice with Yin/WP shenannigans. And then maybe lose the Drinking Problem for some upgrade for Yin, Smoke Grenades for Yu, eat your fill for Bette, or to hire something up to 7 SS-y instead (maybe a performer after all?).

12 hours ago, InvokeChaos said:

Ten Thunders
50ss Crew

The Brewmaster -- 7ss
 +Binge - 1ss
 +Drinking Problem - 2ss

Malifaux Child - 3ss

Monk Of Low River - 4ss

Ohaguro Bettari - 8ss

Samurai - 8ss

Shadow Effigy - 4ss

Shadow Emissary - 10ss

Performer - 6ss

Thoughts?

Not sure about why Ohaguro Bettari is in your list and I would not giver her that upgrade because she is going to probably be in the thick of it which means she might die early.

I'm sorry I should have clarified intent:

this list is kind of a control bubble list in that I use bettari to nullify triggers and charges, not necessarily to minion hunt (though she can). 

LRM is to drop scheme markers and top up heals so that the models I lure in with betty and the performer can also be seduced along side of the poison mechanics. This is mostly a debuff list as I am looking to burn an opponents deck with triple negatives (I know this also hunts redjoker). 

Emissary is also a good beater for said bubble and effigy is a cheap activsion scheme runner for added brewie defense. 

Samurai is ranged damage obey target. Drinking problem will probably be changed to misdirection to abuse LRM with armor 2 samurai. 

Just my thoughts, though I like the changes listed above. 

Thanks for feedback!

15 hours ago, InvokeChaos said:

Ten Thunders
50ss Crew

The Brewmaster -- 7ss
 +Binge - 1ss
 +Drinking Problem - 2ss

Malifaux Child - 3ss

Monk Of Low River - 4ss

Ohaguro Bettari - 8ss

Samurai - 8ss

Shadow Effigy - 4ss

Shadow Emissary - 10ss

Performer - 6ss

Thoughts?

I'd swap the Low River Monk for a Terracotta Soldier, more versatile and can give the Samurai 'Ancient Protection'. Which means that then you can swap the Drinking "Problem" upgrade for Running Tab (which you can swap for Misdirection first turn) and take Wesley instead of the Malifaux bugger. Also, Favor of Earth for sure :P 
Other than that, the list is pretty rad. I've been thinking about something similar since the new models got spoiled: With the changes I listed and Sensei Yu starting with Wandering River Style and Smoke Grenades instead of Betti. Swap Running Tab for Misdirection first turn, swap Wandering River for Fermented and give him Swill second turn+. Ta-daa (I usually run pure cache in my games)!

@Eclipse  You know I was trying to do that but I wanted some extra cache.  Now that I hear it though, it's a no brainer!

Here's the adjusted list with your changes: 

Ten Thunders
50ss Crew

The Brewmaster -- 5ss
 +Binge - 1ss
 +Running Tab - 2ss
 +The Peaceful Waters - 0ss

Apprentice Wesley - 3ss

Terracotta Warrior - 5ss

Ohaguro Bettari - 8ss
 +Smoke Grenades - 1ss

Samurai - 8ss
 +Favor Of Earth - 0ss

Monk of Low River - 4ss

Shadow Emissary - 10ss

Performer - 6ss

I really like that list.  Terracotta changes Running Tab to Misdirection, and the Samurai becomes a siphon target for anything that hits Df. Terracotta can shield the Samurai as well, which just is icing on the cake.

Betty kills charges, and you can obey her for more if needed. Samurai is a great obey target for carpet fire and taking out scheme runners. Terracotta can swap Smoke Grenades for anything else, if I need her to go on the offensive.

Shadow Emissary makes Betty fast, and punishes anyone who gets close enough.

I ditched Shadow Effigy because I think I have plenty of defense here and this doesn't look to be a "scheme" list, so the LRM does way more work. Healing up the Samurai and dropping scheme markers for Running Tab if needed, or preferably to get blown up with the...

Performer who will be luring activated models into the kill zone, so that Betty can keep them from fleeing and ideally killing them.

Brewmaster does what he does, spreading poison, using obeys, passing out negatives and disrupting my opponent's hand.

I'm excited, can't wait to put this on the table :D 

Hi I wanted peoples opinion on this list and what it is for. This December I am playing a Ten Thunder Brewmaster vs Gremlin Brewmaster where neither of us can take running tab and each time a model suffers poison damage you have to take a shot of whisky.

This is my first crack at the list, I have also only ever played vs the Brewmaster and not with him:

The Brewmaster -- 6ss
 +Binge - 1ss
 +Hold Their Hair Back - 1ss

Ama No Zako - 9ss
 +Smoke Grenades - 1ss

Fermented River Monk - 5ss

Jorogumo - 9ss

Samurai - 8ss
 +Favor Of Jigoku - 0ss

Yin The Penangalan - 8ss

That leaves me 6 stones I think.

What I am un sure of is Yin or should I go with Lust or a Performer. I am also trying to keep the number of models which are immune to poison low because of the spirit of the game. I am also debating a Dawn Serpent instead of the Jorogumo, as this guy gave me one 2 years ago and I like the irony. I could see loosing Ama except vs Gremlins she is a great threat.

I know he will be using the whisky golem.

41 minutes ago, D_acolyte said:

Hi I wanted peoples opinion on this list and what it is for. This December I am playing a Ten Thunder Brewmaster vs Gremlin Brewmaster where neither of us can take running tab and each time a model suffers poison damage you have to take a shot of whisky.

This is my first crack at the list, I have also only ever played vs the Brewmaster and not with him:

The Brewmaster -- 6ss
 +Binge - 1ss
 +Hold Their Hair Back - 1ss

Ama No Zako - 9ss
 +Smoke Grenades - 1ss

Jorogumo - 9ss

Samurai - 8ss
 +Favor Of Jigoku - 0ss

Yin The Penangalan - 8ss

That leaves me 6 stones I think.

What I am un sure of is Yin or should I go with Lust or a Performer. I am also trying to keep the number of models which are immune to poison low because of the spirit of the game. I am also debating a Dawn Serpent instead of the Jorogumo, as this guy gave me one 2 years ago and I like the irony. I could see loosing Ama except vs Gremlins she is a great threat.

I know he will be using the whisky golem.

In the spirit of the Brewmaster I'd be taking as many ranged Poison dealers as I could and try to kill my opponent with alchohol poisoning turn 1 or 2 :P

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dominus nox said:

In the spirit of the Brewmaster I'd be taking as many ranged Poison dealers as I could and try to kill my opponent with alchohol poisoning turn 1 or 2 :P

I thought about that to, but I am not a resurs and I know of very few poison range dealers in the 10 Thunders, could you provide some suggestions.

The only ranged poison dealers I'm aware of in 10T are:

Akaname (Spray Filth)
Brewmaster (One for the Road)
Torakage (Shuriken trigger)

Performers kind of count, in that they can Lure a target close and then stick 'em with a Poisoned Hairpin. And in that sense, Bunraku kind of count as well (though it requires a couple of triggers to go off).

• Like 1