Unboxing Malifaux - 'Large Arachnids'

GMort

1 hour ago, Armond said:

'Cept Magic!!!!  Easy enough to mod I think with a little bit of plasticard, wire, and some putty.

And a nail file to get that buzzsaw a little less chunky looking. I understand the limitations of casting, but it still looks kind of ridiculous.

They won't be hard fixes to make, it's just kind of disappointing that I have to make them.

Well the original preview had dildos instead of saw blades. A lot of complains were made that their attack is called "Circular Sawblade" and a new render was presented fairly quickly with saws.

Large+Arachnids.jpg

Updated Preview.jpg

Now this saw looks functional, but was perhaps, in hindsight, designed a little too quickly since there apparently wasn't time/space enough to make the separate parts necessary to make the saw look good when injection molded.

• Like 1

First, a wheelbarrow doesn't look like that. Try to push a wheelbarrow with such a small wheel. And its arrow shape would be highly impractical for the of amount of the load. A wheelbarrow just doesn't look like that, and never did.
Second, try to run with a wheelbarrow (and especially with that one) in such a position. The only question will be: will your back get injured first, or you'll run into the smallest bump, so you trip and smash your face.
Because of all this, the miniature looks wrong and unreal.

• Like 1

I'm willing to write off Willie as artistic license and it he doesnt break my suspension of disbelief, I think his wheelbarrow was intentionally designed for humorous effect rather than realism.

To me the arachnid saw looks more like a combination of a rushed response to critique (thumbs up to Wyrd for listening though) and a bad technical compromise, then a conscious design choice.

52 minutes ago, angyi said:

First, a wheelbarrow doesn't look like that. Try to push a wheelbarrow with such a small wheel. And its arrow shape would be highly impractical for the of amount of the load. A wheelbarrow just doesn't look like that, and never did.
Second, try to run with a wheelbarrow (and especially with that one) in such a position. The only question will be: will your back get injured first, or you'll run into the smallest bump, so you trip and smash your face.
Because of all this, the miniature looks wrong and unreal.

This wheelbarrow is a complete disgrace; how dare they make a non-ergonomic, non-orthopaedic wheelbarrow. Absolutely unforgivable! We should make a stand and refuse to buy further products until this injustice of wheelbarrow racial-stereotypes is corrected and a full written apology disclosed to the public. 

1 minute ago, MR TORGUE said:

This wheelbarrow is a complete disgrace; how dare they make a non-ergonomic, non-orthopaedic wheelbarrow. Absolutely unforgivable! We should make a stand and refuse to buy further products until this injustice of wheelbarrow racial-stereotypes is corrected and a full written apology disclosed to the public. 

I hope this was supposed to be a friendly sarcastic piece... I never said anything like that, and I also think Wyrd is doing a very good job in general. Regardless of this, cartoons capture the main character of things and exaggerate it, which requires a deep understanding of the subject. IMO the Willie model fails in this one. Glad if you still like it, nothing wrong with that. Only I happen to have a different opinion.

4 hours ago, angyi said:

Not mentioning the wheelbarrow of Willie, the Katanaka sniper's grip on the gun and so on :) 

Oh yeaaah, good old Willie xD and yes, rely rifle butts in the crook of elbow is amazing! But I was talking not about realism, but about quality. I don't remember none of the Wyrd model with a such trash piece. 3D renders always fit the real models, but that saw is something... special.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bengt said:

I hate Willie's stupid cartoony face much more than his cartoony wheelbarrow. But I guess if you like that kind of thing it's a decent model.

---

I think the Watcher is the worst hackwork example.

I always loved his face and his smile the most on him....He's a man who loves what he does.

Willie is not too far from Wile E. (coyote)....and just is a cartoon-y demo man (though the wheel is a damn damn shame and goofy. I always imagine it with the most loud high pitched squeaky wobble)

My problem is that the majority of the human models have fairly realistic proportions and features (at least when compared to GW/Warmahordes) with a few cartoon people like Willie thrown. They just stand out too much for me. If it was a game of all cartoon people I would probably be fine with Willie.

• Like 2