May 16th - Titania

Lucidicide

The Monday Reveal  

657 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The one next to Titania, aiming the gun, has a head shape similar to a Matador hat, and the flowing cloak could be the red cape thing they use, so that will probably be arcanist (showgirl? To fit the performance theme)

The rest seem pretty self explanatory,  the medusa one is likely Ressers, the crouching one below the Gremlin has to be 10T, the one with the quill, well that's gotta be Guild to fit alongside the reporters... leaving the one on the horse as the Outcast. Yeah?

Syc 

• Like 1

Just now, sycorax said:

The one next to Titania, aiming the gun, has a head shape similar to a Matador hat, and the flowing cloak xould be the red cape thing they use, so that wil probably be arcanist (showgirl? To fit the performance theme)

I wouldn't expect these masters to be for existing types. Showgirls have a master.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Justin said:

There has been absolutely nothing from Wyrd on Masters being phased out.

Let's not start arguing about things that people are just guessing at.

Now, isn't that new art cool? :)

Sorry. In retrospect, that was probably the worst possible way for me to express my curiosity about the new Masters.

6 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

I think you could cut four masters and have every faction lose one. Tara disappears into time. Lucius missteps and someone betrays him. But who would the others be? Brewmaster and a pure Arcanist? Mei Feng and a pure Gremlin?

As for the preview, her art creeps me out (creepyness category I: Neverborn creepyness) and I'm glad she's not in one of my factions. I am very curious about the slender weapon of the middle of the silhouettes.

As a Gremlin player: Mah Tucket, she seems like a failed experiment to me. But I love Brewie, he can't be phased out!!

5 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

Wrong guess, the gremlin is the little flying one. See below.

Figured it would be an arcanist clone. Looks like a Kaeris imitator that will be leading those Sparks, the Survivors, and Mechanical Porkchop. Any bets on the Crew box for our new master?

Biggest reason is that Masters introduce far more complexity than other models because of not just their individual power levels but also the combination of Upgrades that are available to them (generics included) and the increasing pool of models that are hire-able by them. This makes balancing them more and more difficult as more are released.

I would argue that it is already impossible to balance things in the game, especially when coupled with the extremely short development and play testing cycles. Power bloat is a very real thing and is already rearing its ugly head. Just a few examples include the average stat values from book 1 being significantly lower than those of the newer books (especially in regards to the difference between Defense values and Attack Values, why Guild Guard are looking progressively worse each book) and the SS cost of newer models compared to older ones (many of the newer ones are values at their SS cost given their higher stats and versatility as compared to the older models which tend toward flatter stat lines and more specialized roles).

It is a natural progression of games (especially those that continually seek to release a lot of new models in a short period of time) and the reason for periodic re-balancing. It is untenable to think that adding a large amount of models each year (this value is inversely proportional to the amount of models already published, i.e. more models published, less models can be developed) can be continued for ever without catastrophically affecting game balance. Do we really want Malifaux to end up like Warmahordes where only a handful of models are honestly playable, while the vast majority of other models lay un-utilized even in "friendly" games?

Lol it is sad, but very true. "The bloat" is a realistic possibility at this point, I am all too familiar with it, last time I was playing Warhammer 8th edition there were some models that were simply no-brainers and some purely for the shelves...I really don't wanna see this happening with Malifaux, which at the moment I find incredibly balanced and interesting!
That being said, ONE new master per faction is welcome, especially if crazy cool as Titania. Not enthusiastic about the little flying Gremlin (my other faction) but hope he will be at least cool to play.

• Like 3

Thoughts :)

2nd image - I will echo what someone said above re the matador like pose with the cape flying out behind. Hoping this is arcanist and not another Samael style cowboy for guild.

3rd - Crazy hair lady looks like she is also wearing a Straight Jacket (the hooks are the ends of the sleeves). Lean towards Outcasts mostly because the Horse rider feels more Resser.

4th image: looks like an investigative reporter with camera in her right hand, a left quill in hand and a satchel on the hip. So Guild to go with the spoiled Reporter types from few weeks back?

5th image- Sadly not enthused by the Gremlin (main faction) :( . The 50s style Retro Raygun Jetpack hero type with technical gadgets feels already covered for by Merris and Sparks. Hoping the background is cracking and not just a rehash of the others.

6th The image below and in front of the Gremlin looks like he is wearing a Sidhir style turban and maybe carrying a "genies lamp" in the left hand? 10 Thunders dervish style vs Kung Fu?

7th Looks like a noble lady riding side saddle as mentioned above. Ratty dress and the reins gives it the resser vibe. Would be cool to see something like Red Riding Hood and maybe some Werewolf style undead to go with, though that may be trespassing into Neverborn territory too much?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sycorax said:

the medusa one is likely Ressers,

That's actually something I didn't consider.  If that's a Medusa (Style creature) how does that work with the story fluff that involves Molly and everyone from Ressers that had the whole "Madusa's Tears" going on or something?  It was like some gem they had, from what I understand, and it's why Molly and (Maybe or?) Seamus are alive?  Like, someone had this artifact of power and it "resser magic'd" them to life and now they're crazy or something. 

I should really read the story before talking about this random stuff :wacko:  Maybe someone who knows better could shed light though, it'd be interesting if those things were connected.

4 hours ago, Sklertic said:

Please make the Ten Thunders master a master sculptor of sorts to tie in with the Oni subtype, specifically the obsidian monsters. I will not buy it if that is not the case.

Uhhhhhh yah!  Just imagine, like the classic bad-guys from all sorts of shows (And history of course) who have the magic Ink Well & Brush, where they draw any art and it comes to life or something?

You're probably talking about something different, but that's what you made me think of, and I think it sounds sweet :P  I'd love to see a master like that.  Perhaps a sculptor would be too close to Collodi though, with him being a puppet maker of sorts?

17 minutes ago, D_Arquebus said:

(the hooks are the ends of the sleeves)

Yeah, I am really curious what those are, because they definitely don't look like fingers, which is sort of worrisome :mellow:  Because they could be fingers, just extremely creepy looking ones :P

From left to right I'd say (not counting Tania):

-Outcasts?: He looks kinda pirate-y to me with his boots and what seems to be a flowing cape or whatever. Plus we haven't had traditional outcasts yet- no stagecoach robbers etc. we've got desperate mercs an convict gunslingers but that's about it. Maybe Arcanist as there's no gunmage master.

-TT/resser: If the new master is indeed Oni themed, I'd put money on it being someone possessed or creepy. Kirai does the whole spirit thing for Ressers. Plus oni are demons, so creepy demon summoner makes sense. I guess. Maybe Ressers, but I don't see what variety another creepy master is going to bring- given that spirit summoning is Kirai's thing

-Guild: Guild reporter minions shown, plus a quill and camera, etc support the whole reporter thing- How would these work on the field? Scheme interruption via asking questions/being nosy reporters?

-Gremlin, as seen in the previous pic. He'll probably have some BS movement shenanigans with that jetpack. 50's raygun is cool though.

-Arcanist, maybe resser? Not sure on the Sikh guy, but he's holding a staff and is posed to have finished some kind of magic combo? Time based dude? It's pretty much his pose that screams "I use magic" which makes me think Arcanist. Perhaps he's the Resser master, summoning undead things. Not sure what themes of undead are left to summon but hey, there's dogs, spirits, dead guards, zombie varieties etc.

-Resser/Outcast: Frayed cloth on the horse, and well, everyone else is kinda aligned. Might be outcasts, though not sure what they'd cover. Maybe a mounted outcast who's a stagecoach robber/highwayman- the soulstone or your life. Given there's 2 Tyrants, 2 sets of mercs, Levi, Daw and Obligatory TT infiltraitor there's a lot of room in the outcast faction that can be explored.

From the previews, shifting loyalties and the speculation of others, there's going to be someone who syngerises with Oni and someone who synergises with Academics. Maybe a gamin master with a fifth earth gamin? We've have Fire, Ice (water), Metal and Wind- finishing off the 5 elements would be earth. Perhaps the new gremlin has foundry? Given that two models seem a bit limited for Mei Feng to get use out of and that SL has 3? construct based gremlin models.

Just put me down for a crew box of each new master barring gremlins and ressers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Warlock said:

-Guild: Guild reporter minions shown, plus a quill and camera, etc support the whole reporter thing- How would these work on the field? Scheme interruption via asking questions/being nosy reporters?

Reporter: Pandora! Pandora! What's your take on the events surrounding the Governal General?

Pandora: Place your quill into your mouth, and bash your face against that wall.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Durza said:

I wonder if the Gremlin could be the master for another faction, and gremlins get a human master? That could be funny.

Gremlins will only follow someone wearing a fancy hat (why Zoraida doesn't need one is beyond me). However, now that you bring it up, at least four unrevealed models have hats, including the gremlin, and there's a good chance that the master on horseback has one also. That's a lot of new hats for Som'er to fume about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawg said:

That's actually something I didn't consider.  If that's a Medusa (Style creature) how does that work with the story fluff that involves Molly and everyone from Ressers that had the whole "Madusa's Tears" going on or something?  It was like some gem they had, from what I understand, and it's why Molly and (Maybe or?) Seamus are alive?  Like, someone had this artifact of power and it "resser magic'd" them to life and now they're crazy or something. 

It's a special soulstone called "The Gorgon's Tear". It resurrected Molly with her mind and Seamus without making him undead, possibly because Molly had been dead a few days while Seamus had had his head ventilated a few minutes before. It's connected with a Tyrant called the Gorgon so this could be a Master more closely aligned with the Tyrant.

In Greek mythology Medusa was a specific Gorgon.

10 hours ago, Omenbringer said:

I would argue that it is already impossible to balance things in the game, especially when coupled with the extremely short development and play testing cycles. Power bloat is a very real thing and is already rearing its ugly head. Just a few examples include the average stat values from book 1 being significantly lower than those of the newer books (especially in regards to the difference between Defense values and Attack Values, why Guild Guard are looking progressively worse each book) and the SS cost of newer models compared to older ones (many of the newer ones are values at their SS cost given their higher stats and versatility as compared to the older models which tend toward flatter stat lines and more specialized roles).

It is a natural progression of games (especially those that continually seek to release a lot of new models in a short period of time) and the reason for periodic re-balancing. It is untenable to think that adding a large amount of models each year (this value is inversely proportional to the amount of models already published, i.e. more models published, less models can be developed) can be continued for ever without catastrophically affecting game balance. Do we really want Malifaux to end up like Warmahordes where only a handful of models are honestly playable, while the vast majority of other models lay un-utilized even in "friendly" games?

Have you done any actual statistical analysis of the numbers to back up the rather bold claim that average stat values being significantly lower in book 1? Or are this just more anecdotal "evidence"?

As for powercreep, yeah there are some stinkers in book 1, but there are also staple models like Rotten Belles. So while I agree wholeheartedly that there are imbalances, I'm not at all convinced that they are on an upward curve. Hell, the Masters that are most often accused of being underpowered are in book 2 (Lucius, Yan Lo, Ironsides), so if anything I would worry (if I wanted something to worry about) that these new Masters will be too weak to compete with the current batch.

• Like 2

Slightly disappointed that the new resser master is not likely to be Professor Albus Von Shtook.

Most intrigued by the mounted figure.

Anyone else kind of hoping the Fae and the Nephilim have bad blood between them, maybe enough to start some serious infighting within faction.

• Like 2