help finding the S.O. a faction?

So, I'm trying to get the hubby into Malifaux. He's not a miniatures guy, nor does wargaming, all his stuff's online. He likes looking at my models and that's about it. I'm trying to help him pick a faction for Malifaux, so he can play with me, at least at home, if not at the FLGS (he has a bad back).

I play Gremlins. And really, that's about all I know about, I'm not good with the other factions. I've read a few threads here, but they got really technical, really fast, and I just couldn't follow them.

Online games, aside from like Kerbal Space program, he tends to play the shooty, DPS (mage/archer) types. Not much into tank n spank. In strategy games (like Warcraft III, Dune, Command and Conquer) he liked to base build and then go all out.

Assuming any of this helps ^^ what might be a good general match for him? I'm looking to buy him a crew box to try out, if he doesn't like it, we're not all in and can try something else.

Normally I personally go by looks first and gameplay second but he's a bit reversed.

Appreciate any help!

Guild and outcasts both have the most reliable shooting (I feel like outcasts are more generalists while guild bring the best guns), but not much in the way of synergy. If he likes synergy and is okay with his guys dying, gremlins... but it looks like you have that covered?

I'd probably go Guild, simply because outcasts have so many choices from other factions, so they're less practical especially if you don't also have a decent resser collection.

• Like 2

How much is he into KSP? Is he going to enjoy the puzzle when things get really technical, really fast? Is he going to read pullmyfinger tactical wiki for fun and profit? If he does love the complicated playstyle, then we can send him to Hoffman or Jack Daw or Tara.

It might not matter that he doesn't like tank-n-spank playstyle online. I don't there, either. I was a caster, always. But on the tabletop the weapon isn't swinging in front of my field of vision every few seconds to make me unhappy. On the tabletop "send construct of choice into melee, as many times as I like, until the problem stops being a problem" is just fine.

Actually, Hoffman or Jack Daw would also be good for the build up first, then smash the enemy in melee approach. Power loop the constructs first for tiptop performance before advancing, or apply tormented to selected models friendly or enemy and then drag them together.

On the other hand, if he'll be facing your swarms of gremlins regularly, maybe we should just send him to Sonnia or Viktorias for the most efficient disposal of masses of greenskins. :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SpiralngCadavr said:

Guild and outcasts both have the most reliable shooting (I feel like outcasts are more generalists while guild bring the best guns), but not much in the way of synergy. If he likes synergy and is okay with his guys dying, gremlins... but it looks like you have that covered?

I'd probably go Guild, simply because outcasts have so many choices from other factions, so they're less practical especially if you don't also have a decent resser collection.

Second to above.

Don't go near Levi. It is a trap, bottomless pit...

;)

• Like 3

I'd say von Schill and Perdita offer fairly shooty crews in factions where it's easy to continue the shooty theme.

Perdita is probably easier to expand after the box which might also be a consideration.

Austringers are the only eagle-wielders which makes guild the best faction if he wants the coolest ranged weapon in the game too.

• Like 1

Hand him your rule book, let him read all the factions and masters, and ask him which one appeals to him (tell him Gremlins are off-limits).

I would suggest Von Schill's box set, but that's me. Add in Hannah, Strongarm, and Lazarus, and you have a fairly solid set of choices. Anna Lovelace, when she comes out, will be another useful toolbox.

An Arcanist list biased towards Mages and Gunsmiths could be interesting too, although none of the masters really jump out at me as supporting that style of play, which is odd really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Speaking of, I haven't seen you post a Jack Daw bat-rep in a while. Looks like Levi all the way down... :P

Well, I painted some new models for Levi (and assembled some more) so I want to have some fun with them now :P

I think the next time I'll play Jack would be no sooner than two weeks from now. 

On 5/14/2016 at 2:09 PM, Gnomezilla said:

How much is he into KSP? Is he going to enjoy the puzzle when things get really technical, really fast? Is he going to read pullmyfinger tactical wiki for fun and profit? If he does love the complicated playstyle, then we can send him to Hoffman or Jack Daw or Tara.

It might not matter that he doesn't like tank-n-spank playstyle online. I don't there, either. I was a caster, always. But on the tabletop the weapon isn't swinging in front of my field of vision every few seconds to make me unhappy. On the tabletop "send construct of choice into melee, as many times as I like, until the problem stops being a problem" is just fine.

Actually, Hoffman or Jack Daw would also be good for the build up first, then smash the enemy in melee approach. Power loop the constructs first for tiptop performance before advancing, or apply tormented to selected models friendly or enemy and then drag them together.

On the other hand, if he'll be facing your swarms of gremlins regularly, maybe we should just send him to Sonnia or Viktorias for the most efficient disposal of masses of greenskins. :P

Like really really really a lot (he's an engineer too IRL) lol And he will undoubtedly sadly pick up the game much faster than I can/do but! this is perfect advice. I really appreciate everyone's help!

If he wants to play shooty crew with some build up, then the master which probably fits that the very best is Sommer with family tree. 

I know you are a gremlin player, so you might not want him to also play gremlins, but he could try that crew to get the game rules and then see what is out there to fit his style.

You can play one of the other Gremlin masters for the intro games, and they do have quite different styles. 

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update as hubby finally picked a master/faction

Big surprise, he chose Perdita/Guild. At least to start. He was undecided all the way up to the store even hah

Only issue is he doesn't want me to paint them like they're wearing leather :( I was looking forward to that. Ah well!

thanks again for the help guys :D

1 hour ago, Guildenstern said:

Just thought I'd update as hubby finally picked a master/faction

Big surprise, he chose Perdita/Guild. At least to start. He was undecided all the way up to the store even hah

Only issue is he doesn't want me to paint them like they're wearing leather :( I was looking forward to that. Ah well!

thanks again for the help guys :D

I would tell him fine, they get to have pink and purple coats. lol. I threatened to do that to my little brother knights once.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D_acolyte said:

I would tell him fine, they get to have pink and purple coats. lol. I threatened to do that to my little brother knights once.

Pink coats are fine I found out, but it's when one thinks that just a dab of metallic paint will do no harm that a model can be made a little too fabulous... (looks sadly at a wastrel that otherwise is pretty stylin')

• Like 1