Bad Juju clarification for shifting loyalties

PhisherKing

Hey guys I had a quick question concerning Bad Juju's Eternal Fiend upgrade in a shifting loyalties campaign.

I'm curious if the death replacement effect from Eternal Fiend means I wouldn't need to make a finished off flip or if the shifting loyalties rules overwrite that.

Bad Juju: Eternal Fiend: "When this model is killed (not sacrificed), it is not killed. Instead, bury this model."

Shifting Loyalties (pg 13): A model only ever flips to be Finished Off the first time it is killed or sacrificed, even if it has some unusual way of coming back. Models which are buried when the game ends count as killed and therefore flip to be Finished Off as normal (cheating is allowed from any cards the player had in their hand at the end of the game).

It looks like RAW Bad Juju wouldn't have to make the finished off flip, but going by RAI I could see the part about "unusual way of coming back" including Eternal Fiend so he'd have to make the flip.

Thanks ahead of time for your input!

5 hours ago, PhisherKing said:

Hey guys I had a quick question concerning Bad Juju's Eternal Fiend upgrade in a shifting loyalties campaign.

I'm curious if the death replacement effect from Eternal Fiend means I wouldn't need to make a finished off flip or if the shifting loyalties rules overwrite that.

Bad Juju: Eternal Fiend: "When this model is killed (not sacrificed), it is not killed. Instead, bury this model."

Important burial safety notice:

It is possible for models to be killed while they are buried, albeit somewhat rarely. If a model that is buried is killed, it will not benefit from any abilities that happen on the model's death (like Finish the Job).

The result of this paragraph is that Eternal Fiend doesn't apply while Bad Juju is buried.

In addition, models that are buried at the end of the game count as killed for Encounter victory purposes.

The result of those two paragraphs together means this:

If Bad Juju is buried at the end of the game, it is killed because Eternal Fiend cannot save it from being killed while buried.

And, as a result, you do flip for being Finished Off at the end of the game.  That's how the rules are written.

• Like 4