How many Scrip per session

Sparksman

So I'm wondering how many Scrip most Fatemasters are awarding per session?

I've been awarding 3SS base per session, with a max cap of 8 per month (but not charging players for room, board, maintenance, etc).

This is based on the idea that 1 Scrip is around $100.

Meaning players get around $300-$800 per month as disposable income.

However the Showgirl pursuit has the ability to generate 50SS per calendar month, which blows this whole system, and its assumptions, out of the water.

So, how much Scrip are other Fatemasters giving out per session?

I generally wouldn't give players a scrip reward at the end of each session. If they did something to earn scrip - such as by capturing a bounty or being rewarded or selling off salvaged weapons or the like - then that's fine, but I generally don't think that players should get scrip "just because."

However, that's mostly just a playstyle decision, rather than any hard or fast mechanical consideration.

Malifaux tends to be pretty good about available space; if you want to live for free in the slums, you can, because there are buildings that just don't have people in them that a character can just claim for their own. Of course, that comes with a price, as there's little law enforcement in the slums, which means that crime is common, even before you count the influence of Malifaux-specific threats into thing.

If a character wants to stay someplace safer, such as the New Construction Zones or Downtown, then they might have to worry about paying for a room. All in all, space isn't really the issue in Malifaux City, so much as security and how close you want to be to the Guild.

• Like 2

I only give large amounts of scrip out as part of serious story rewards and then it likely depends on what the story is and that can range anywhere from 20 to 200 or more depending.  On the other hand I don't worry about giving too much because bribes, room and board, travel expenses etc. are still a thing.  For just everyday "I loot the bodies" type rewards I literally just reach into a small bag of loose change I have and toss a small handful at them.  Usually averages to around .20-3.00SS depending on the handful (The bag is about 2/3 old pennies I had lying around and 1/3 mixed higher denominations including some old fantasy coins for the rare 1+ SS coin).

• Like 1

So in 1888 in Victorian England, an average person earned about 660£ a year (which assuming the showgirl monthly rate, you're looking at about 600§ a year, which seems right on the money for an upper middle class income--the lower classes lived on about half that).

About 113 of that went to food (about 9.4§ per month)

Another 145 or so went to rent, taxes and utilities (around 12§ per month)

The rest (about 33.5 per month) was spendable money, which mostly went to things like clothing, travel, entertainment (and liquor), repairs, medical visits and the like. So you could expect an average person to reasonably have a spending budget of about 2§ a day if you're looking for the spending cash normal folks would have on them.

• Like 2