Did Wyrd use lead in their old metal models?

8 hours ago, Munindk said:

As far as I know, lead hasnt been used in miniatures since the mid 90's.

There are still companies which produce miniatures with "lead pewter" alloys.  I just checked the box of a model I got earlier this year (from a different company who I'm not going to name), the box label said "This set contains two miniatures and are supplied unpainted.  It contains 3-4% lead."

Those models go nicely with the rest of my "Please wash your hands first.  You don't want to touch my stuff while you're eating" models.  ;)

6 minutes ago, solkan said:

There are still companies which produce miniatures with "lead pewter" alloys.  I just checked the box of a model I got earlier this year (from a different company who I'm not going to name), the box label said "This set contains two miniatures and are supplied unpainted.  It contains 3-4% lead."

Those models go nicely with the rest of my "Please wash your hands first.  You don't want to touch my stuff while you're eating" models.  ;)

Ha ha! Over paranoid here, but do you need to clean off your gaming area after using your minis on it since they contain lead?

27 minutes ago, The MechE said:

Well, they  don't advertise them as lead-free right? Now that I've looked into this more, I assume they could have as much as 9%, right? Would painting and priming make them safe?

It is a white metal alloy - lead free. You're likely to get more jacked up not wearing a mask priming and having a bad habit of brush licking than handling the miniatures.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

It is a white metal alloy - lead free. You're likely to get more jacked up not wearing a mask priming and having a bad habit of brush licking than handling the miniatures.

Okay, thanks for taking the time to clarify. I know some white metal alloys contain some lead, so I was curious.

14 minutes ago, The MechE said:

Ha ha! Over paranoid here, but do you need to clean off your gaming area after using your minis on it since they contain lead?

It's more important to clean up the place where you're putting the models together.  But that's going to be the case for resin and a whole bunch of other materials, too.

Solvents, glues, green stuff, resin...  "Play it painted (and sealed)" should be a safety campaign.  ^_^

15 minutes ago, solkan said:

It's more important to clean up the place where you're putting the models together.  But that's going to be the case for resin and a whole bunch of other materials, too.

Solvents, glues, green stuff, resin...  "Play it painted (and sealed)" should be a safety campaign.  ^_^

So let's say I had non-Wyrd miniatures and they contained lead? Could I get away with just sealing them or do I need the prime and paint steps first? I'm new to this stuff, so I'm curious.

58 minutes ago, The MechE said:

So let's say I had non-Wyrd miniatures and they contained lead? Could I get away with just sealing them or do I need the prime and paint steps first. I'm new to this stuff, so I'm curious.

I'm just going to say that I'm not worried about the lead in my 80's lead pewter models leaching through the sealant on them while I'm gaming.

I think most of the hazards for objects containing lead is from contact-based erosion and ingestion--you touch the thing, you rub some of it off onto your hand, and then what's on your hand gets on your food and you eat it.  If you're not rubbing off the paint, you're probably not rubbing off the metal.  If you were using a lead-pewter spoon or dishes, you'd be getting into some other chemistry involving leaching of metals into the food.

Edit:  To be thorough:

Lead enters the body primarily through inhalation and ingestion. Today, adults are mainly exposed to lead by breathing in lead-containing dust and fumes at work, or from hobbies that involve lead. Lead passes through the lungs into the blood where it can harm many of the body's organ systems.  While inorganic lead does not readily enter the body through the skin, it can enter the body through accidental ingestion (eating, drinking, and smoking) via contaminated hands, clothing, and surfaces.

from https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/lead/

In other words, the bigger concern would be lead dust (dust from filing, drilling or sanding lead figures) from the hobby stuff.  Sort of like how resin dust (the dust from filing, drilling or sanding resin) is the scary part of working with resin.

Edited by solkan
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, solkan said:

I'm just going to say that I'm not worried about the lead in my 80's lead pewter models leaching through the sealant on them while I'm gaming.

I think most of the hazards for objects containing lead is from contact-based erosion and ingestion--you touch the thing, you rub some of it off onto your hand, and then what's on your hand gets on your food and you eat it.  If you're not rubbing off the paint, you're probably not rubbing off the metal.  If you were using a lead-pewter spoon or dishes, you'd be getting into some other chemistry involving leaching of metals into the food.

Edit:  To be thorough:

from https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/lead/

In other words, the bigger concern would be lead dust (dust from filing, drilling or sanding lead figures) from the hobby stuff.  Sort of like how resin dust (the dust from filing, drilling or sanding resin) is the scary part of working with resin.

Okay, but just so I know how primer/vanish or sealer work, could you just apply a sealer to metal models, or would you need to prime and/or paint them first or the sealer wouldn't stick?

25 minutes ago, The MechE said:

Okay, but just so I know how primer/vanish or sealer work, could you just apply a sealer to metal models, or would you need to prime and/or paint them first or the sealer wouldn't stick?

Yeah, you would definitely need to prime them first.

• Like 1