May 9 - Carlos Vasquez

Honestly I like that the Arcanists are getting some non-M&SU looking stuff. As a faction of renegade magic users only Rasputina and Marcus really play up the "Witch" angle. It'll be good to have a bit more variety. The Union is a front and very important for the Arcanists, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the whole of the movement.

I can't wait to see more spoilers, as it'll probably help push me in different directions for my next project. I'm curious to see some Neverborn or Outcasts spoilers in particular.

9 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I like that as art. It's a very good picture. But I'm not sure how cool a mini it will make - it's quite generic aside from the flames and the pose and making those work nicely in a mini... I dunno.

That's like saying that Shenlong or Sensei Yu don't look fantastic.  Both of those models are basically blank canvases, and they are both amazingly beautiful just by sculpt.

Speaking of which, I see how people are confused here, it looks like the Ten Thunders seems to have a monopoly on "Sweet looking Shirtless dudes"™, and I can definitely see the connection here.

10 hours ago, Justin said:

They are ...good.

I heard you made him an Arcanist because he was too good, and Ten Thunders already had too many amazing models.  Is this true?

4 hours ago, RodneyAnon said:

Someone's gonna be a guest on "Ink Master: Redemption"

That's honestly the first thing I thought.  "Daisies.. what is even going on here?" :P  Hopefully they aren't imprinted on his skin so you can paint them in easier :mellow:

2 hours ago, Tawg said:

That's like saying that Shenlong or Sensei Yu don't look fantastic.  Both of those models are basically blank canvases, and they are both amazingly beautiful just by sculpt.

I think that Shenlong is one of the most unassuming Master sculpts out there and that is certainly saying something. Sensei Yu is fun but I don't think I'd list him in the top 100 Wyrd sculpts list, either. Also, as a competent but not phenomenal painter, I've got to say that I prefer less blank canvases. And finally, I can easily find lots of shirtless dude sculpts from other manufacturers as opposed to, say, Gremlins riding giant chickens (I know of only one other manufacturer who does those). But of course these are matters of taste (so I'm objectively right and you are incredibly wrong)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tawg said:

Speaking of which, I see how people are confused here, it looks like the Ten Thunders seems to have a monopoly on "Sweet looking Shirtless dudes"™, and I can definitely see the connection here.

I heard you made him an Arcanist because he was too good, and Ten Thunders already had too many amazing models.  Is this true?

That's honestly the first thing I thought.  "Daisies.. what is even going on here?" :P  Hopefully they aren't imprinted on his skin so you can paint them in easier :mellow:

I think Yu is just terrible, I mean what is up with his face? Is he supposed to have been hit with Joker venom or something? Sh'long is ok I guess, nothing special.

What made me think TT was the jumping around with flares and the tattoos (the designs aren't all that east asian, but that's where my mind went). I hadn't thought about TT as a shirtless faction, are there any other than Yu and Sh'long? I expect Ressers have more really.

12 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I think that Shenlong is one of the most unassuming Master sculpts out there and that is certainly saying something. Sensei Yu is fun but I don't think I'd list him in the top 100 Wyrd sculpts list, either. Also, as a competent but not phenomenal painter, I've got to say that I prefer less blank canvases. And finally, I can easily find lots of shirtless dude sculpts from other manufacturers as opposed to, say, Gremlins riding giant chickens (I know of only one other manufacturer who does those). But of course these are matters of taste (so I'm objectively right and you are incredibly wrong)

There is absolutely no way I could possibly rebuttal this, SO I AM GOING TO START SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND :angry:!

Naw but seriously, Gremlins don't have noses!  That can't be good, although Rami is possibly one of the best models in existence, for the miniature (miniature) pig hanging from his gun stock.

And Shenlong, even without painting say, tattoos or something egregiously difficult, is just wonderful looking.  Just painted in a simple (well shaded // highlighted) way, he is.. really nice.  I actually really love @Agent of the Breach's version, which is quite simple, but wonderful looking.

I don't think you have to jump the proverbial gremlin-mounted-rooster to make amazing concept or art.  Just because it's "been done" doesn't mean it isn't an excellent example of the art.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tawg said:

There is absolutely no way I could possibly rebuttal this, SO I AM GOING TO START SHOUTING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND :angry:!

I have been shown the error of my ways!

:D 

1 minute ago, Tawg said:

Naw but seriously, Gremlins don't have noses!  That can't be good, although Rami is possibly one of the best models in existence, for the miniature (miniature) pig hanging from his gun stock.

The mini pig is the best of things!

1 minute ago, Tawg said:

And Shenlong, even without painting say, tattoos or something egregiously difficult, is just wonderful looking.  Just painted in a simple (well shaded // highlighted) way, he is.. really nice.  I actually really love @Agent of the Breach's version, which is quite simple, but wonderful looking.

Well yeah, but Agent of the Breach is an absolutely insanely talented painter. I'm nowhere near their level and I think that goes for 99% of the Malifaux players out there.

1 minute ago, Tawg said:

I don't think you have to jump the proverbial gremlin-mounted-rooster to make amazing concept or art.  Just because it's "been done" doesn't mean it isn't an excellent example of the art.

Yeah, I'm not saying that everything needs to be crazy. And really, I don't think that shirtless guy dancing with two torches is something that has been done to death. And also, I like, e.g., the Captain more and he is way more common a trope. But I'm just saying that I'm not looking forward to painting the mini I'm envisioning coming out of this artwork (though noting that I might change my mind once I see the render) since I'm thinking that it will require a lot of skill to make it look decent and the mini isn't flamboyant enough that I would welcome the challenge.

But I'm sure that a better painter than I can make this guy literally sing under their brush. (And I do mean literally literally - it's a bit scary when it happens).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bengt said:

are there any other than Yu and Sh'long?

All of Mei Feng's regulars (Rail Workers and Kang) have at best smocks on, I guess they get hot working the Foundry.  The Thunder Archers are basically shirtless, with more freedom granting loose garments.  One of the three Thunder's Bros is shirtless as well as one of the Illuminated (The one with the big thing attached to him).  The Tengu likewise are more shirtless than not, and arguably masculine in their pectoral region.

I mean, realistically they don't dominate the subject mater, but since I more strongly associate the vision of Sensei Yu and Shenlong to the faction, as appose to random minions from a faction, the imagery of shirtless dudes sticks with Ten Thunders.

5 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Well yeah, but Agent of the Breach is an absolutely insanely talented painter.

Well you know what they say.  Any sufficiently talented painter is indistinguishable from insane.  That might be a misquote.  Point is, you just gotta want it, and you can go insane too.

5 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

The mini pig is the best of things!

I don't know that anyone can argue against this, it is objectively 100% correct.  I hate gremlins, and I love that thing.

• Like 3

I don't mind some "blank canvases" for the awesome painters, but as someone who sucks at painting, it doesn't really do me any good.

Though I gotta defend Sensei Yu. I love his, "I dare you to try hit me." It may help that I couldn't hit him or not draw the Black Joker for damage the first time I played against him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2016 at 0:58 AM, Aaron said:

Arcanist Preview 5.9.16 Thumb.jpg

This week's Monday Preview is a look at Carlos Vasquez. See the full post here: http://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2016/5/9/monday-preview-carlos-vasquez

Let the random speculation begin! :-P

With a name like that I think Ortega relative. 

But he looks Foundry/Showgirl/10T's too!

I'm hoping for a Kaeris themed male Performer