Greetings to the Malifaux Community

TheEmptyRoad

Hello all! Just recently decided to look into Malifaux. Heard some good things about it and thought I'd give it a look-see. 

I am TheEmptyRoad, some of you might have seen me in the Infinity Community, I am known as TheEmptyRoad there as well.

I play WH40K (Tau, might dabble in Thousand Sons and Harlequins), Infinity (Ariadna, dabbling in others), and Warmahordes (Menoth, Everblight and Orboros) tabletop-wise.

Avid strategy gamer, my current obsession is Crusader Kings II. 

RPG's are also cool: Love Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and Knights of the Old Republic II.

I'm fascinated by the mystical, occult, esoteric, arcane, macabre, creepy, and weird. So I think I'll like it here :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the Breach!  I have also dabbled in Tau, growing my PanO (just bought a new hacker and a REM), haven't played Warmahordes in 2 years but looking forward to what MK3 brings to to the table.

It's the fate deck that sets Malifaxu apart from all the other minis I have played or currently play.  Relic Knights also uses cards, but in a completely different system. Knowing that you are capable of changing the outcome (thus, tempting/cheating fate) of what happens in a game without actually cheating, makes Malifaux a different minis game in its own right.  

I hope you have a found your first crew simply fascinating, but there is also the 2 player starter set and the free mini rulebook on Drivethrurpg.  

On 5/5/2016 at 1:23 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Where are you leaning currently? Maybe we can help you find the first crew :)

Well, since this game is set in an aetheric otherworld I'm leaning towards those factions that take this theme and dial it up to 11. So...Resurrectionists and Neverborn.

Crew-wise:

Nicodem - A Pure Necromancer, he does one thing and does it well: Summon the undead.

Dreamer and Chompy - I love the idea behind this crew. Though the unknown dark frightens me, I'd like to befriend those that live on the other side.

Both of these have a very lead-from-the-back  Support Master. I like this, my leaders in tabletop games tend more towards a General in a command tent than Braveheart leading a charge.

Nicodem and Dreamer are both silar play styles which is good.

Nico and dreamer will mean you'll want to expand to a few other blister boxes quickly as they are summoners and not everything they summon comes in the box. 

Dreamer does have an alternative less summoning mode he can play but still you'll want to have a few other key models. Insidious madness and Teddy come to mind! 

For Nico expanding to pretty much everything else in the faction will eventually happen as he summons the right model for current situation. So things like the university of teansmortis or the Molly boxset and you'll want some necropunks. 

if you want ...what's your budget and I can try and help you come up with an initial "tobuy" list with room to expand. Also where are you leaning between those two...both are strong masters and play as you've described. Do you want to play with the nightmares of a young boy or raise the dead to do your bidding?

Cheers

10 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Do you want to play with the nightmares of a young boy or raise the dead to do your bidding?

...yes?

Not sure yet. Ever since I abandoned Warhammer (Sigmarines-ahem 'Stormcast Eternals' were the straw that broke this camel's back) I've been looking for some undead fun but the Dreamer...grrrr. Not sure yet. Gonna do some more research.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

if you want ...what's your budget and I can try and help you come up with an initial "to buy" list with room to expand. Also where are you leaning between those two...both are strong masters and play as you've described. Do you want to play with the nightmares of a young boy or raise the dead to do your bidding?

Whilst I don't want to steal this thread I would be interested to know the Nicodem suggestions if that is OK. What would be you suggested purchases for starting out be based on a budget that would be Crew Box + 2 blister boxes + 1 Character model box? (I hope that makes sense).

30 minutes ago, Ressummon said:

Whilst I don't want to steal this thread I would be interested to know the Nicodem suggestions if that is OK. What would be you suggested purchases for starting out be based on a budget that would be Crew Box + 2 blister boxes + 1 Character model box? (I hope that makes sense).

Nicodem Box Set

Necropunks - For scheme running 

Hanged/Shikome - depending on your preference, hard hitting summons for Nicodem

Dead Rider - Best Enforcer we have, hits very hard but is quite expensive (SS wise and wallet wise), other good options include Izamu/Bete/Yin 

Sample Crew

Nicodem - Maniacal Laugh, Undertaker

Mortimer - Corpse Bloat, Favourite Shovel

Dead Rider - Decaying Aura

Shikome

Necropunk x 2

6 Soulstone cache

There is room to play around with upgrades/get the totem in for another activation but this would give you a good starting point with Mortimer making corpse markers for Nicodem to summon from, Dead Rider/Heavy Hitter for Nicodem to boost (he can give out fast very easily), Shikome can move quickly to either attack targets or deny schemes (by killing scheme runners) and Necropunks leap everywhere completing schemes.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1