Malipho'enix Brewmaster vs. Lady Justice

thecapopriest

P4220447_zpswgbbnvfl.jpg

This is a battle report from the Malipho'enix group that meets on Friday's at Tempe Comics.

This is a 50 soulstone game Gremlins vs. Guild.

Deployment: Flank

Strategy: Extraction

Schemes: Convict Labor, Covert Breakthrough, Undercover Entourage, Leave Your Mark, and Hunting Party.

Gremlins list: Brewmaster with Binge, Apprentice Wesley, Old Major with Corn Husks and Saddle, Fingers, Trixiebelle, Hog Whisperer, and 2 Piglets. Soulstone pool of 6.

Guild list: Lady Justice, Guild Austringer, 2 Death Marshals, Santiago Ortega, Papa Loco, Executioner, and Francisco Ortega. Soulstone pool of 5.

P4220448_zpsjxmybxdk.jpg

Gremlins wins flip for deployment and have Guild deploy first and choose sides.

From left to right: Guild Austringer, Papa Loco, Executioner, Francisco Ortega, Lady Justice, Death Marshal, Santiago Ortega, and Death Marshal.

P4220453_zpsq20uisqy.jpg

From left to right: Guild Austringer, Francisco Ortega, Lady Justice, and Death Marshal.

Papa Loco, Executioner, Death Marshal, and Santiago Ortega are hidden by trees.

P4220456_zpsnkhmal0c.jpg

From left to right: Trixiebelle, Piglet, Piglet, Apprentice Wesley, Hog Whisperer, Fingers, Old Major, and Brewmaster behind him.

P4220458_zpshyaambhe.jpg

From left to right: Trixiebelle, Piglet, Piglet, Apprentice Wesley, Hog Whisperer, Fingers, Old Major, and Brewmaster behind him.

P4220461_zpsj1uebw5o.jpg

Gremlins win the initiative flip and have Guild activate first.

Francisco activates and does El Mayor to Lady Justice and then double walks into the forest.

P4220463_zps9lnacz68.jpg

Apprentice Wesley activates and walks forward and then uses Magical Extension and chooses the action Pick Yer Poison from the Binge upgrade and targets Francisco but fails.

P4220468_zps2waq3w79.jpg

Santiago activates and double walks into the forest.

P4220470_zpsi42rfysm.jpg

Hog Whisperer activates and does "Stick'm!" on Old Major dealing 3 damage and giving Old Major the Reactivate condition. Old Major has 9 health left. The Hog Whisperer then walks forward.

P4220472_zps1aqovwgo.jpg

Death Marshal double walks up to the ruins.

P4220473_zpsaveq7np0.jpg

Fingers activates and goes Reckless. The first 2 AP are used for Take a Swig on Old Major healing him to full. His last action he walks forward.

P4220476_zpskgi5z36l.jpg

Death Marshal double walks into the forest.

P4220478_zpswp5lxb5g.jpg

Piglet activates and double walks and drops a scheme marker with a 0 action due to Trained Pigs from the Corn Husks upgrade on Old Major.

P4220480_zpsgrfdcuny.jpg

Papa Loco double walks forward.

P4220482_zpsgpnhonmc.jpg

Piglet double walks and then drops a scheme marker as a 0 action.

P4220485_zpswrjeb6uj.jpg

Executioner double walks forward.

P4220486_zpsgzpfdhyr.jpg

Old Major activates and double walks forward saddling Brewmaster both times.

P4220489_zpsgkj3epdn.jpg

Austringer focused and shot Old Major dealing 3 damage and dropping Old Major down to 9 health.

Old Major does his Reactivate and saddles Brewmaster repositioning him slightly and then saddling fingers and walking a 2nd time.

P4220492_zpsw47nnhmh.jpg

Lady Justice double walked and went Defensive +1.

P4220494_zpsrqhpuvyb.jpg

Brewmaster activated and did Hangover twice at Lady Justice, failing the first time but succeeding the second time giving her Swill +1, giving her negative flips on all duels and flips. His third action targeted Trixiebelle with Pick Yer Poison which I then discarded a Mask and had her do Gremlin "Lure" on Lady Justice and failing.

P4220496_zpsxjdurmfw.jpg

Trixiebelle went Reckless and successfully did Gremlin "Lure" on Lady Justice pushing her her charge away from Trixiebelle. She then did Gremlin "Lure" twice on the Executioner failing the first time but succeeding the second time.

P4220497_zps0owxtv3z.jpg

End of first turn no points scored.

P4220499_zps8bzca7nm.jpg

Gremlins win initiative. 

Piglet walked forward and then charged Santiago. The first attack got the Bowled Over trigger pushing Santiago and himself 4 inches. The second attack triggered Stampede so the Piglet had to charge the Death Marshal missing both attacks.

P4220501_zpskjn4dhfr.jpg

Santiago charges the Piglet hitting with both attacks doing 2 damage each killing the Piglet as it already had 1 damage due to the Stampede trigger.

P4220503_zpsaawidlpc.jpg

Piglet activated and charged Papa Loco. The first attack hit and did the Bowled Over trigger, the second attack missed, but the third attack from his second AP hit and did the Stampede trigger charging into Francisco. The first attack against Francisco got the Eat Anything trigger healing the 1 point of damage due to Stampede. The second attack got the Grab On trigger giving Francisco Slow.

P4220505_zpssuw2it82.jpg

Executioner charged the Piglet killing it with the trigger Bloody Exhibition on the first attack.

P4220507_zps67nqwapw.jpg

Fingers went Reckless did Take a Swig on Old Major healing him for 1 damage taking Old Major up to 10 health. Fingers then walked and dropped a scheme marker.

P4220509_zpsqgcdamb1.jpg

Papa Loco walked forward to toe into the zone; then he used Throw Dynamite at Fingers hitting and doing 3 damage which Fingers reduced with a soulstone taking only 2 damage. Fingers had gotten his trigger Loudest Squeel and pushed 4 inches.

Slow Francisco companion activates and shoots Fingers doing 4 damage, Fingers then reduces the damage down to 3 damage, leaving Fingers with 2 health left.

Apprentice Wesley does Pick Yer Poison at Francisco and succeeds. Guild discards his last card which is a Mask so I walk Francisco back 5 inches. Apprentice Wesley walks 6 inches.

P4220511_zpsup0xrvic.jpg

Austringer focuses and shoots at Fingers. Fingers uses a soulstone for defense but still gets hit. Fingers uses a soulstone to reduce the 2 damage down to 0. Fingers also got the Loudest Squeel trigger again and pushed.

P4220513_zpsjczgw8aa.jpg

Trixiebelle goes Reckless and Gremlin "Lure" both the Executioner and Papa Loco and then walked forward. Trixiebelle has 6 health left.

Death Marshal shoots at Fingers twice missing both times.

Brewmaster activates and attempts to Obey Fingers 3 times failing each time. Does his 0 action Drinking Contest.

P4220516_zpsypbsfqyc.jpg

Death Marshal activates and walks forward. He then shoots Fingers doing 4 damage and killing him.

P4220517_zpsj2hqrpyx.jpg

Old Major activates and double walks saddling Brewmaster both times.

P4220520_zpstzwc6d18.jpg

Lady Justice triple walked forward.

P4220521_zpsiqlfzcex.jpg

Hog Whisperer Walked forward.

End of turn 2 Gremlins score 1 from Convict Labor and 1 from Extraction and moved the Informant 3 inches. 

Gremlins 2 to Guild 0.

P4220522_zpskumqmhid.jpg

Guild wins initiative.

Lady Justice walked forward and then charged Old Major. Both attacks hit doing a total of 9 damage which Old Major used a soulstone to reduce the damage by 1 leaving Old Major with 1 health left.

Old Major activated and moved out of the line of sight of Brewmaster and did nothing with the second action. The reason for doing nothing was because of her defensive trigger Riposte which would have killed Old Major.

Austringer focused and shot into melee randomizing into Lady Justice and missing.

P4220525_zpsquhifpwe.jpg

Brewmaster activates and did Hangover twice on Lady Justice failing the first time but succeeding the second time. Brewmaster then did Pick Yer Poison on Old Major discarding a mask so Old Major could attack Lady Justice doing 4 damage, dropping Lady Justice down to 10 health. Brewmaster then tried to do his 0 action 1 for the road but failing when Lady Justice pulled the Red Joker.

P4220527_zpsbs624awt.jpg

Death Marshal walked forward and shot at Trixiebelle missing due to Hard Cover.

Hog Whisperer went Reckless and attacked Lady Justice 3 times hitting each time. The first attack did 1 damage, the second did 8 damage, due to Dumb Luck and the Hog Whisperer took 4 damage leaving him with 2 health left, which Lady Justice reduced with a soulstone down to 5, the last attack did 1 more damage leaving her with 3 health left.

P4220528_zpsxpzvb8tp.jpg

Francisco moved forward and shot into the melee randomizing into Brewmaster and missing.

P4220530_zpsjejkf8sx.jpg

Apprentice Wesley activates and attempts to do Hangover on the Death Marshal but fails. He then walks away.

P4220532_zps6bukjbdt.jpg

Papa Loco double walks forward.

Trixiebelle Gremlin "Lure" the Death Marshal and Lady Justice succeeding both times.

P4220535_zpsh2ayuzik.jpg

Death Marshal walks forward and shoots Old Major but missed.

P4220536_zpsfntubfer.jpg

Executioner double walks forward.

P4220538_zpspqgyd94v.jpg

Santiago walks forward, shoots Old Major and kills him.

Gremlins score 1 point for extraction and Guild scores 1 for extraction making the score 3 to 1.

At this point we realize that the Guild player forgot to reveal Hunting Party on turn 2 so we score that now. 1 additional point from Hunting Party from turn 2 making the score Gremlins 3 to Guild 2.

End of turn 3.

P4220540_zpslwreok9r.jpg

Gremlins win initiative due to cheating from Trixiebelle.

Brewmaster activates and does his 0 action Drinking Contest. He then successfully puts Hangover on Lady Justice, Executioner, and Santiago.

Executioner charges the Hog Whisperer missing with the first attack but hitting with the second and getting red joker on damage killing the Hog Whisperer and earning a point for Hunting Party.

Apprentice Wesley attempted to do Hangover on the Death Marshal and failed. He then walked on top of the scheme marker.

P4220543_zpsp3ibpatu.jpg

Death Marshal moves and shoots at Trixiebelle missing.

P4220544_zpsonm4mdkh.jpg

Trixiebelle goes Reckless and attempts to Gremlin "Lure" the Death Marshal failing the first and second time but succeeding on the third. She then did the 0 action "Buy You a Drink?" and gave the Executioner Poison +9.

Death Marshal shot at Trixiebelle and missed.

P4220547_zpsdkvetldw.jpg

Santiago walked and then shot at Trixiebelle but missed due to hardcover.

Austringer focused and shot at Trixiebelle doing 4 damage and leaving her with 1 health left.

P4220548_zpsxtymxtgy.jpg

Papa Loco double walks.

P4220550_zpsrscbpcso.jpg

Francisco walked and then shot hitting Trixiebelle and killing her.

Lady Justice activates and attempts to charge the Brewmaster but fails the drinking contest as well as her attempt to walk and do her 0 Juggernaut healing her up to 11 health.

Guild scores 1 point from Extraction bringing the score 4 Guild to Gremlins 3.

At this point I concede the game as I have no viable way to score points or to prevent Guild from scoring their points.

Gremlin Schemes: Convict Labor and Leave Your Mark.

Guild Schemes: Hunting Party and Leave Your Mark.

Overall I really liked the list I played, it had a lot of board control with the Piglets keeping enemy models tied up and even successfully push models around and Trixiebelle with Gremlin Lure. Fingers did not seem to help as much and mainly was a bullet soaker so I would probably look to change him out with something more killy, like Gracie or Mancha Roja.

I think my biggest misstep was having a full turn that I relly had no idea what to do with Brewmaster (the turn he just attempted to Obey Fingers.) I should have thrown him into the mix at that point, most likely Lady Justice would have killed him quickly but that would have been another turn of Lady Justice being kept away from the bulk of my crew.

The Guild player definitely did a great job of weathering the massive amount of control I was doing against his force and really made my forces crumble once he had an opening.

We also forgot about the Executioners Terrifying, Trixiebelle and Brewmaster should have taken some Horror Duels. 

As always any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated as well as pointing out any rule mistakes we may have made.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Enjoyed reading this - thanks!

In turn 2, you said that the Guild player discarded their last card, and you only mention one activation for Old Major as far as I can see. If the opponent is out of cards, Old Major gets Reactivate, so did you miss that at the time, or just not include it in the report?  There's always so much to remember in game!

I enjoyed seeing every play written out, rather than just highlights being put down. You did it succinctly, so it wasn't a mass of text to wade through, and it gives a sense of just how much failing goes on whenever you're tying to get actions done, which is - of course - the reality of the game!  

• Like 1

At this point Old Major was still new to me so I probably forgot his Reactivate. In general I do try to write out everything and not omit anything on purpose, so if I do forget an activation it is a mistake on my part and not purposeful.

Glad you enjoyed the battle report.

1 hour ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Enjoyed reading this - thanks!

In turn 2, you said that the Guild player discarded their last card, and you only mention one activation for Old Major as far as I can see. If the opponent is out of cards, Old Major gets Reactivate, so did you miss that at the time, or just not include it in the report?  There's always so much to remember in game!

I enjoyed seeing every play written out, rather than just highlights being put down. You did it succinctly, so it wasn't a mass of text to wade through, and it gives a sense of just how much failing goes on whenever you're tying to get actions done, which is - of course - the reality of the game!  

• Like 1

I completely understand.  I was really interested in this Batrep in particular, as I'm just new to Brewmaster myself, and have been theorying around the idea of either Gracie or Old Major + Saddle for getting the grog upfield more quickly.  Nice to see a bit of it in practice!  That Reactivate is certainly one of OM's big draws, especially when coupled with Binge, but Gracie's (potential) damage output + reactivate feels like it might just make her more useful once the taxying is done.  They're two quite different pigs tho, aren't they?  

OM's a Henchman and can stone for things, he's got good damage potential and can turn tricks for any other pigs that you bring along (The Sow comes to mind, if there's a spare 8ss lying around). He can also drag another Gremlin up with him, so that could mean that Fingers or Wesley stay tight with brewy.

Whereas Gracie is unimpeded - which could be huge for getting Brewy in place - but only Walk 4, and she's a bit more tanky than OM when it comes down to it.  

Guess there's no choice but to run them both a few times...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

I completely understand.  I was really interested in this Batrep in particular, as I'm just new to Brewmaster myself, and have been theorying around the idea of either Gracie or Old Major + Saddle for getting the grog upfield more quickly.  Nice to see a bit of it in practice!  That Reactivate is certainly one of OM's big draws, especially when coupled with Binge, but Gracie's (potential) damage output + reactivate feels like it might just make her more useful once the taxying is done.  They're two quite different pigs tho, aren't they?  

OM's a Henchman and can stone for things, he's got good damage potential and can turn tricks for any other pigs that you bring along (The Sow comes to mind, if there's a spare 8ss lying around). He can also drag another Gremlin up with him, so that could mean that Fingers or Wesley stay tight with brewy.

Whereas Gracie is unimpeded - which could be huge for getting Brewy in place - but only Walk 4, and she's a bit more tanky than OM when it comes down to it.  

Guess there's no choice but to run them both a few times...

For the Pig saddle I really prefer Gracie over Old Major as she can reliably gain Reactivate and is more difficult for the opposing crew to kill.

Also is it just me or are my photos not loading up on this forum post anymore? 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2016 at 5:46 PM, Bazlord_Prime said:

OM's a Henchman and can stone for things, he's got good damage potential and can turn tricks for any other pigs that you bring along (The Sow comes to mind, if there's a spare 8ss lying around). He can also drag MANY Gremlins up with him, so that could mean that Fingers AND Wesley stay tight with brewy.

Fixed that for you.  Major's "Old Pig Knows the way" moves all gremlins within the pulse.  Generally I've found that if I have a set of stuff I want to move up as a group (Somer, Brewmaster) I'll reach for major, while if it's just a single model (wong, Mah, maybe still Somer) I'll go with Gracie and the all terrain Saddle.

Unless I'm facing outcasts, Gracie is very sad when Levi is on the table.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

True! Using his native ability + the Saddle, he can pull along two Gremlins, can't he?  That's actually pretty significant - thanks @Clement!

Better!  (sort of)   his native ability can drag AS MANY GREMLINS AS YOU CAN FIT IN BEHIND HIM, but they all directly push, so keeping up can be tricky.

Saddle brings only one model, but it's a place and basically idiot proof.

3 minutes ago, Clement said:

Better!  (sort of)   his native ability can drag AS MANY GREMLINS AS YOU CAN FIT IN BEHIND HIM, but they all directly push, so keeping up can be tricky.

Saddle brings only one model, but it's a place and basically idiot proof.

Really?!  I don't have the card in front of me, and I've never used OM myself, but his entry on Pullmyfinger reads thusly (not that it's guaranteed to be correct, mind you...):

As a (0), Old Major can pull a friendly Gremlin toward him. This can help rescue a stranded Ulix, or tug along an otherwise too-slow Pigapult.

So it just mentions "a" Gremlin, singular.  Would be great if that's wrong!

1 minute ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Really?!  I don't have the card in front of me, and I've never used OM myself, but his entry on Pullmyfinger reads thusly (not that it's guaranteed to be correct, mind you...):

As a (0), Old Major can pull a friendly Gremlin toward him. This can help rescue a stranded Ulix, or tug along an otherwise too-slow Pigapult.

So it just mentions "a" Gremlin, singular.  Would be great if that's wrong!

It's wrong.

All friendly Gremlins within :pulse4 may push up totheir Wk  towards this model

• Like 1